Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just got my Promotion Gear VR w/ Joystick. Going to play with it tonight. :D

My S8+ already works just fine with the Gear VR they sent me for the Note 7, the new one is exactly the same except for button colors and the Samsung logo on the cover. I'm mostly excited about the Joystick, as I used it in a Samsung store and it's damn good.

I should have went for the 256gb micro SD card(even though I already have two), and the wireless headphones, cause it's the better value. Then I could have just bought the Joystick at $40 from Samsung. Oh well, live and learn. :oops:

20170429_174819.jpg

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
Just got my Promotion Gear VR w/ Joystick. Going to play with it tonight. :D

My S8+ already works just fine with the Gear VR they sent me for the Note 7, the new one is exactly the same except for button colors and the Samsung logo on the cover. I'm mostly excited about the Joystick, as I used it in a Samsung store and it's damn good.

I should have went for the 256gb micro SD card(even though I already have two), and the wireless headphones, cause it's the better value. Then I could have just bought the Joystick at $40 from Samsung. Oh well, live and learn. :oops:

View attachment 697935

Still debating if I should keep or sell mine. FedEx was suppose to have mine delivered today, but they claimed my address is undeliverable. Contacted them and said it has to be fixed by the shipper. Contacted Samsung and was on hold for like 50 mins to talk to someone so I gave up. They had an online chat and directed me to their 800 number which I just called. Emailed them instead, so hopefully they would be more helpful.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Mobile vr is cool and all but it still isnt ready, I will check it out again in a few years when the resolution is higher

Reactions: 5105973

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
What's the deal with the red tinge? Most of the press I'm reading on it says is an uneven tint with some areas of the screen being more red. Samsung is saying it's normal, but it doesn't sound like it. Just curious, the demo unit I tried at BB had a flawless screen.
My screen came flawless...good luck to the rest when the software fix arrives..I already seen a preview of the fix...it should work.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah. No update from T-Mobile yet either. I guess it will take awhile for the carriers to approve the update and push it through.

Where did you get the house ninja kitty?
Have to redo link.

No matter how I do the link there's a problem. I'll try again from a different device

Ninja Kitty

Last edited:
Reactions: Snot Rox

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
So I know this is weird but every time I set my Galaxy S8 down on a wireless charging pad in my house, or when I pick it up off the wireless charging pad, it turns on my Apple TV (4th Generation) and my TV (CEC) and the Apple TV displays a message that says, "This airplay connection requires ios7.1 or later on iPhone or iPad or osx10.9 or later with the latest iTunes on a mac."

It took me a few days to figure out what was causing it but I am sure it is the S8 combined with the wireless charging. I can recreate it every single time. Any idea if there is a setting in the phone that would be causing this? I turned off Bluetooth but it didn't make a difference.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So I know this is weird but every time I set my Galaxy S8 down on a wireless charging pad in my house, or when I pick it up off the wireless charging pad, it turns on my Apple TV (4th Generation) and my TV (CEC) and the Apple TV displays a message that says, "This airplay connection requires ios7.1 or later on iPhone or iPad or osx10.9 or later with the latest iTunes on a mac."

It took me a few days to figure out what was causing it but I am sure it is the S8 combined with the wireless charging. I can recreate it every single time. Any idea if there is a setting in the phone that would be causing this? I turned off Bluetooth but it didn't make a difference.

Is the charging pad next to your AppleTV or Router?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Agreed the carriers in US particularly have some extra annoyances for Samsung

Personally I never get the thing with monthly payment plans as at the end of the day it's just another form of HP/lease with a lot more complicated stuff, still if it helps spread the cost and it suits plus the carriers make it harder to do otherwise :)

Check your Apple IPhone T&C's they have the right to refuse and return to country of origin, but usually you should get assistance overseas/grey's

Yeah, never hurts to double check as well. Considering I am paying per usage of the S8 and got a free Gear VR + controller and virtual content, it isn't a bad trade off for pay per use.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
My screen came flawless...good luck to the rest when the software fix arrives..I already seen a preview of the fix...it should work.
My S8 was perfect but my S8+ was pinkish as I already have the update on my International versions I applied it on the S8+ and it works fine
[doublepost=1493526262][/doublepost]
Yeah, never hurts to double check as well. Considering I am paying per usage of the S8 and got a free Gear VR + controller and virtual content, it isn't a bad trade off for pay per use.
In Thailand you get a good bundle even without a contract and in UAE you get 30% discount on some flights and 12 nights hotel offers and a voucher book for dining (buy one get one free) Last year we got the VR stuff.

Only the UK seems a bit poor on freebies

Reactions: nviz22

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking off the the previous poster, but I have a quick question myself.

I'm on JoD and I still have my iPhone to trade in. However, I think I actually want to stick with the iPhone and return the S8.

My question: Because of JoD, would I still need to turn in both devices even though I want to keep my iPhone? So I would be stuck with signing up for a whole new JoD to actually get an iPhone again? That's my understanding at least.

Thank you in advance!
No. Go to the store and tell them your situation. They will most likely tell you to simply return the S8 via the RMA slip through the mail. While at the store, ensure that the CSR types up a memo in the computwer that says you came to the store and this is the situation. This starts a papertrail to protect you.

Here is what should happen. The CSR should call customer care and on your behlaf tell customer care that you do not wish to keep the S8 and want to return it and maintain your current iPhone on its current JOD lease. This should not be a problem and should be very easy to handle. If the customre service rep for t-mobile is a douche, have your t-mobile rep hang up on them and call back to talk to another CSR.
[doublepost=1493530283][/doublepost]
It's different though. Wi-Fi Calling is so useful on my iPhone SE. I can put it on airplane mode at work and still connect via wifi instead of decimating my battery because of weak signals in a dead zone. Samsung Pay wouldn't work using the Exynos model here last time I checked. Full warranty support means that if I purchase an Exynos Galaxy S8, Samsung wouldn't refer me to support outside the US or tell me they cannot honor any warranty (had that issue with an Exynos S7). I want to see Samsung updates their phones at Apple's speed.
[doublepost=1493480020][/doublepost]

If I remove the packaging material, I could just say that it was purchased at T-Mobile, right?
Unless it is a puregear or Zagg, it is going to be obvious to the rep that it isn't one of ours.
Just ask him to install it, but tell him you understand that if he screws up, he can't be held laible.

Reactions: HiDEF

nabeel24

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
Hey all!
Is there any way to have ANY notifications to wake up the screen such as the iPhone does?
Thanks

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Hey all!
Is there any way to have ANY notifications to wake up the screen such as the iPhone does?
Thanks

Search for an app called Screen Notifications in the Play Store. The icon should look like a light bulb. I haven't used it in a long time, so not sure how well it will work with the S8.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
looks very good!! :)

but, every time you want to pop up the navigation bar you have to swipe up every single time, right?

Yep thats correct for now lol, pain at first but my mind is trained on it now lol, does have rare quirks but few and far between, plus you can select one of 4 immersive modes, so you could leave the nav bar but hide the status bar which works well and negates those quirks.
[doublepost=1493543628][/doublepost]
UK poor ?

Ireland gets NOTHING at all ....

We got a freebie in the UK, i love my Samsung bag for life included with my preorder, its what i always wanted, its a much more usefull item than vr or memory card, i mean can your vr or memory card do these:

1. Carry your shopping?
  2. Hold your bag of usb-c cables?
  3. Hide your old skool adult magasines?
  4. Act as a hiding place for your cat?
  5. Make your partner look better by placing over their head?
Didnt think so

/s

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
No. Go to the store and tell them your situation. They will most likely tell you to simply return the S8 via the RMA slip through the mail. While at the store, ensure that the CSR types up a memo in the computwer that says you came to the store and this is the situation. This starts a papertrail to protect you.

Here is what should happen. The CSR should call customer care and on your behlaf tell customer care that you do not wish to keep the S8 and want to return it and maintain your current iPhone on its current JOD lease. This should not be a problem and should be very easy to handle. If the customre service rep for t-mobile is a douche, have your t-mobile rep hang up on them and call back to talk to another CSR.
[doublepost=1493530283][/doublepost]
Unless it is a puregear or Zagg, it is going to be obvious to the rep that it isn't one of ours.
Just ask him to install it, but tell him you understand that if he screws up, he can't be held laible.

The rep helped out a lot when she put it. She even said it was her first time doing the squeegee one. I was horrible with those during my Best Buy days.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Wondering what kind of success you're all having with the iris scanner. Mine works sometimes but when I go into different lighting it struggles. I read somewhere that setting it up in the dark helps. Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.