Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm wondering if I'll keep the Samsung software launcher myself.

It's always been Nova right away, but this time, I think I may give the default launcher a shot for a few days first. #blasphemy

Reactions: 5105973

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm wondering if I'll keep the Samsung software launcher myself.

It's always been Nova right away, but this time, I think I may give the default launcher a shot for a few days first. #blasphemy

I couldn't handle the default launcher at the end of the day. I rely too much on quick gestures to get where I want to go. Plus I like being able to adjust my grid size and apply icon packs to Google Play apps. Nova Pro FTW. But, the default launcher was smooth and quick and I did like the swipe up to get to the app drawer.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I couldn't handle the default launcher at the end of the day. I rely too much on quick gestures to get where I want to go. Plus I like being able to adjust my grid size and apply icon packs to Google Play apps. Nova Pro FTW. But, the default launcher was smooth and quick and I did like the swipe up to get to the app drawer.

I keep moving back to it as well, something about it just looks good.

Ahh, these two examples above... the beauty of choice and customization at work.

May 31st can't come soon enough. Samsung website offered 2-day shipping for free, too, for S8 preorders.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
A little off-topic but Apple charging $$$ for a firmware/iOS update on iPods ?

Is this right?
They did this with the iPod touch only, and this was many years ago, I think Steve Jobs was still alive when they announced they were going to start giving them for free.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
They did this with the iPod touch only, and this was many years ago, I think Steve Jobs was still alive when they announced they were going to start giving them for free.

I have the iPad nano (5th gen)...still works fine, my first Apple product!

Not sure if later models did away w/the radio, but it's nice having that feature.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I, too, slap on NOVA as part of my initial set-up. However, with the S8...I'm really feeling the stock launcher even after almost 4 weeks into the ownership!

Reactions: epicrayban

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Nope. Can't go back. It'll be going up for sale soon. I'll definitely keep my eye out for the iPhone X or whatever it's going to be called. But this device has caused me to switch for the time being.

Nice, yeah this has been the device that has put me through the most thought about switching from the 7 Plus but as a complete device I feel the iPhone has it over the S8. I use my iPhone right now for all communication needs and media consumption is all done on the S8. Messaging is just horrible on the S8 and android period really. Its not as easy as using WhatsApp and things like that because you have to make others download it as well. Maybe its just me though.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Nice, yeah this has been the device that has put me through the most thought about switching from the 7 Plus but as a complete device I feel the iPhone has it over the S8. I use my iPhone right now for all communication needs and media consumption is all done on the S8. Messaging is just horrible on the S8 and android period really. Its not as easy as using WhatsApp and things like that because you have to make others download it as well. Maybe its just me though.

I know what you mean. I love iMessage and miss it. But I'm making due with SMS/MMS via Textra and use WhatsApp for video calls and sharing videos. As well as Google Photo's video sharing via link feature.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Unless you update yearly, why would you buy an interim product like the S8/+ with its back panel FPS. (Same could be said for the iPhone Edition if they wind up with the rear FPS too.)

Everyone knows (I hope) that Samsung and Apple will be going to put it on the front just as soon as they figure out how.

I know optical scanning might make the rear-FPS less off a big deal, but even so.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I know what you mean. I love iMessage and miss it. But I'm making due with SMS/MMS via Textra and use WhatsApp for video calls and sharing videos. As well as Google Photo's video sharing via link feature.

Yeah im just not with the using multiple apps for something as simple as messaging, the S8 has some nice features where im sure I can deal with for the time being but idk im just having a hard time doing it lol. But I do carry the device with me everyday and I LOVE using Samsung Pay.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I realize that this isn't cost effective, but I'm really becoming addicted to those multi wallpapers on the Samsung store, and then finding the matching wallpaper on the home screen.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I realize that this isn't cost effective, but I'm really becoming addicted to those multi wallpapers on the Samsung store, and then finding the matching wallpaper on the home screen.
LOL

Yes I like the tilt ones for the S8's only I think its Samsung Vietnam that develops some. The stylised 8 theme is a little pastel for me (put it on the Mrs S8)but the matching tilt lock screen with shifting colours is nice on its own

Reactions: mjschabow

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida

It's not just you. If most of your network uses iPhones then it's just a given that you're going to have more of an issue with messaging then someone whose network uses WhatsApp/Facebook messenger etc

Reactions: Zaft

sdiori

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
The S8+ I've used for the past week has me finally feeling as though Apple needs to step it up in a big way. I realize that I'm waiting for the next iteration of the iPhone to be the phone the S8 already is.

I'm so deep into the ecosystem, though, with phones, MacBooks, watches, AirPods, hell even door locks, that it's hard to ever to truly consider leaving. The cost of the S8+ is too steep to use as a secondary device; for me, anyways.

But damn Samsung, hats off to you for making a fantastic device.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
The S8+ I've used for the past week has me finally feeling as though Apple needs to step it up in a big way. I realize that I'm waiting for the next iteration of the iPhone to be the phone the S8 already is.

I'm so deep into the ecosystem, though, with phones, MacBooks, watches, AirPods, hell even door locks, that it's hard to ever to truly consider leaving. The cost of the S8+ is too steep to use as a secondary device; for me, anyways.

I completely agree. There is some room for improvement, would still prefer an embedded TouchID and 3D Touch, but Samsung really killed it on the industrial design. Sticking with my 7+ as a personal phone, but happily using a S8+ as a work phone for now.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012

Couldn't agree more S8+ only has a few design flaws that I'm sure they will fix. I just hope the next iPhone looks just like it, LOL.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Reading all your comments, I am really getting impatient to get my hands on one. 1.5 months to go on my contract. It is just too long to wait. I think I may just get one retail and forget about locked in subsidized phone plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.