Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think Samsung is just happy the battery is fine on this phone.

Not just fine, but they now have the industry-leading battery QC process.

And the fact that the battery won't degrade as quickly is great news for people who want to keep the phone long term. I believe it retains something like 95% of effective battery over the course of a year.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Had my S8 for a couple days now, I really can't sing its praises enough. I'm coming from a Nexus 6p and it's like a whole new world.

Plus holy moly the battery is phenomenal on this thing. I can solidly last from 7am to 10-11pm with heavy to moderate usage, and not need a battery top up. I love this thing

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
One of my friends who won't even look at Android phones because he only buys the Apple brand was laughing at me when I said I had the new Galaxy S8+. He has an iPhone 7 Plus. He said he hadn't even seen them in a store and could care less because Apple has the most modern and advanced design...

I said pull out your phone and I pulled out mine. He was speechless and said he didn't want to look at it anymore. :) :) :)

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Not just fine, but they now have the industry-leading battery QC process.

And the fact that the battery won't degrade as quickly is great news for people who want to keep the phone long term. I believe it retains something like 95% of effective battery over the course of a year.
Samsung did not play around and IMO did a great job with the recall. They took quick action.
One of my friends who won't even look at Android phones because he only buys the Apple brand was laughing at me when I said I had the new Galaxy S8+. He has an iPhone 7 Plus. He said he hadn't even seen them in a store and could care less because Apple has the most modern and advanced design...

I said pull out your phone and I pulled out mine. He was speechless and said he didn't want to look at it anymore. :) :) :)
so once the iPhone 8 comes out Samsung advantage is gone. Design wise at least.

Reactions: epicrayban

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Samsung did not play around and IMO did a great job with the recall. They took quick action.

Maybe... but what will they do with the S9? Honestly Apple could just do a 7S and wait another year for the 8 and most Apple customers would be standing in hours in long lines for it so I don't know if it even matters.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Just think it's harder buying a 900-1000 android phone when there's so much android choice. The g6 is a nice option too. The op5 will be here soon too.

I think other than the few countries that launched s8 on Apr 21, the next batch of countries only started selling from 1st week of May. The 5 mil figure is quite good considering that many countries have only launched it for about a week. I am still waiting to get mine. I think a lot will hinge on China which is launching the phone this week.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Rant warning ...

Biggest question is WHY DO YOU CARE ABOUT SALES NUMBERS ?

That needed all caps.

Seriously is your enjoyment of a product or usage of that product impacted by a string of sales numbers ? Does the quality of that product to you hinge on raw sales numbers ? Do you need to see high sales numbers to have some validation that your purchase was the correct one (or vice versa, that your choice not to purchase) for you ?

If the answer to all of those questions is NO, as it should be, then just enjoy the device. Nothing changes.

If the answer is YES, then you have far too much time on your hands, and seemingly care about insignificant metrics more than the product or merely need 'mud to throw at walls' on forums. Find a more productive past time.

The discussion of sales numbers which inevitably ends up being the same old cliché - product A Vs product B - handbag fight, should means nothing of real importance to anyone other than the OEM and it's stockholders. It has NO impact on the end user, or their experience of the product.

If it sold 500000, 1 million or 5 million, the end product is not any different. Nothing changes. Your usage and enjoyment and it's critical reception is utterly unchanged by those sales figures.

Arguing over Sales numbers is just about the most asinine thing and those that do usually have other agendas or opinions which they need to stoke or validate via a pointless metric.

Those that use it as cannon fodder on forums such as this end up spouting a same tripe. "it sold less than [insert] year or device, so it must be a worse device than product b [usually the posters preferred product/OEM] which sold more and therefore it must be better...

It's just same old garbage over & over, I just can not believe I am the only one who sees this for what it is.

When you care less about the product than its sales numbers something is very array.

Last edited:

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
D
Rant warning ...

Biggest question is WHY DO YOU CARE ABOUT SALES NUMBERS ?

That needed all caps.

Seriously is your enjoyment of a product or usage of that product impacted by a string of sales numbers ? Does the quality of that product to you hinge on raw sales numbers ? Do you need to see high sales numbers to have some validation that your purchase was the correct one (or vice versa, that your choice not to purchase) for you ?

If the answer to all of those questions is NO, as it should be, then just enjoy the device. Nothing changes.

If the answer is YES, then you have far too much time on your hands, and seemingly care about insignificant metrics more than the product or merely need 'mud to throw at walls' on forums. Find a more productive past time.

The discussion of sales numbers which inevitably ends up being the same old cliché - product A Vs product B - handbag fight, should means nothing of real importance to anyone other than the OEM and it's stockholders. It has NO impact on the end user, or their experience of the product.

If it sold 500000, 1 million or 5 million, the end product is not any different. Nothing changes. Your usage and enjoyment and it's critical reception is utterly unchanged by those sales figures.

Arguing over Sales numbers is just about the most asinine thing and those that do usually have other agendas or opinions which they need to stoke or validate via a pointless metric.

Those that use it as cannon fodder on forums such as this end up spouting a same tripe. "it sold less than [insert] year or device, so it must be a worse device than product b [usually the posters preferred product/OEM] which sold more and therefore it must be better...

It's just same old garbage over & over, I just can not believe I am the only one who sees this for what it is.

When you care less about the product than its sales numbers something is very array.
DED made me feel insecure....lol

Seriously though, I think the higher sales strokes people's egos a little, another stat to pull out in heated arguments about product purchase justification.
Compared to Apple, no one will sell as many (flagships) or make as much profit, there's no point even wishing for it to happen, Apple could make the most subpar device and it will still sell hand over fist, imo.
I don't know why, I've considered buying a Mac until I thought hard about it.
I used to own an iPod touch but got rid of that after I had to purchase a firmware/os update, see you later iPod.
Nothing Apple makes entices me but millions of others think differently so hey, who cares...
The Note 7 was my favourite phone, they didn't sell that many (I know they would have sold more but....) and I didn't really care.

Off topic but I really hope HTC do well in sales, just to keep them in the game, it would be sad to see them dissolve...

Bring on the Note 8!

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
D

DED made me feel insecure....lol

Seriously though, I think the higher sales strokes people's egos a little, another stat to pull out in heated arguments about product purchase justification.

Off topic but I really hope HTC do well in sales, just to keep them in the game, it would be sad to see them dissolve...

Bring on the Note 8!

Agreed.

That's exactly what it does seem to boil down to usually. The Ego ....

Yeah I'd like to see all the other OEM's make small in roads and reduce both Samsung & Apple's market share simply to stoke competition and the betterment of product.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

maybe.....but then the Note 8 will be out and it looks to compete very well with the IP8

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
So whats the main reason for the Exynos omission for the US, modem issues?

Its really not a big deal getting either the snapdragon 835 or Exynos model especially when you know that Samsung has played a major role in the creation and optimization of both of those processors. Who do you think developed the 10 nm process for the snapdragon 835...it was Samsung!!! They were also key with the development of the snapdragon 820 so every android phone flagship maker has been using Samsung technology in some way or another.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Its really not a big deal getting either the snapdragon 835 or Exynos model especially when you know that Samsung has played a major role in the creation and optimization of both of those processors. Who do you think developed the 10 nm process for the snapdragon 835...it was Samsung!!! They were also key with the development of the snapdragon 820 so every android phone flagship maker has been using Samsung technology in some way or another.

Yep. We've reached a point of diminishing returns. I'm not worried about snapdragon vs exynos because the snapdragon is more than enough to power my needs, processor wise and battery wise.

Bring on exynos if they ever get that accomplished but otherwise, this day and age, snapdragons are plenty acceptable. It isn't anywhere close to being a deal breaker.

Reactions: jamesrick80

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Looks like BestBuy is offering a free Samsung Wireless Charger with the purchase of the S8. In case anyone is in the market for one.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Agreed.

That's exactly what it does seem to boil down to usually. The Ego ....

Yeah I'd like to see all the other OEM's make small in roads and reduce both Samsung & Apple's market share simply to stoke competition and the betterment of product.
As an impartial (have both iPhone and S8, for different uses), I just find the sales numbers interesting as a market predictor. 5 million does not seem like a large number for this type of flagship, so is the market not upgrading, or are they choosing alternative Android phones? Would be interesting to see how many total handsets were purchased at year-end 2017, and compare it to last year.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
You had ONE job. ........ sigh
77b02ae87f31af85d5a9ac3083062655.jpg
In response to "it can wait" (for the Note 8)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: Fernandez21

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
In the past I was wistful about the Exynos processor but Samsung and Qualcomm teamed up nicely for the Snapdragon 835. It runs nice and cool and fast enough to suit me. My S8+ keeps up wth Pokémon Go, which is something my S7 and S7 Edge struggled with last year. I don't play Pokémon Go very often anymore, but when I do, I don't like the lag I was getting on the other phones. That being said, my other phones did not otherwise struggle though anything else I used them for.

Barring anything unforeseen, I plan on switching over to the S8+ as my main phone this summer. My last test for it before I do so is my final cross-country trip to California with our school. I'll be comparing its road warrior worthiness against that of my iPhone 7 Plus. Lol...of course I will continue to use both phones, but one will get my main sim. Currently the iPhone 7 Plus has it.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I recently started using Nine email client and really like it. However, not sure if I want to dish out $10 for an email client; does anyone have any other recommendations? I was using Samsungs client, but prefer something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.