Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
You do forget one 'small' thing. If google decides to make that app and include it into EVERY android, OEM's will have to play ball. Why do you think that every android comes with play store, chrome, photos and some other google apps?

Google demands it. Otherwise, there will be no google services on that phone, and that means no play store. Even Samsung without gmail and play store would fail, not to mention others like HTC, LG and Sony.

You mean like Amazon, right?

You're incorrect. Google makes no such demands. They offer guidelines, OEMs accept or reject based on whatever they're trying to accomplish with a given handset. This is why Samsung has created its own duplicate ecosystem on all of its handsets, it's why OEM's have gotten rid of the app drawer if they so choose, it's why updates are controlled by OEM's and carriers, and as I first suggested even the Play Store isn't a demand.

Google isn't going to be insisting on one standard any time soon. Their interest is in having their software on as many devices as possible in whatever form they can get it on there. Everything else is a distant second.

Reactions: nj1266

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
You mean like Amazon, right?

You're incorrect. Google makes no such demands. They offer guidelines, OEMs accept or reject based on whatever they're trying to accomplish with a given handset. This is why Samsung has created its own duplicate ecosystem on all of its handsets, it's why OEM's have gotten rid of the app drawer if they so choose, it's why updates are controlled by OEM's and carriers, and as I first suggested even the Play Store isn't a demand.

Google isn't going to be insisting on one standard any time soon. Their interest is in having their software on as many devices as possible in whatever form they can get it on there. Everything else is a distant second.

Google demands nothing about UI. OEM's can customize it all they want and like.
But to put google services by default on any android phone, you have to follow some basic guidelines. I do know this because I used to work for one of the manufactures (small time fish).

And there is a reason every android phone comes with a google search on desktop.
Here is one small article that is 3 years old:
http://www.androidcentral.com/there...new-android-phones-google-wrote-contracts-way

Things have progressed in almost 3 years.

Google doesn't care if you use customized launcher. Google doesn't make or loose money on that. But what google does care about is it's own services. If you fail to use googles guidelines, well, you can't put google services on your phone.

Just look at China for example. Huawei and 1000 other OEM's have Play Store, Gmail, etc. But Xiaomi (and that is a big time player!) doesn't. Why?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The UI is great, but until it replaces messages as the default SMS/internet messaging solution and possibly unifies with other instant messaging applications (in a similar way to BlackBerry hub aggregates other applications messages together in one place and allows you to respond / reply directly from the BB hub) I just can't see it gaining traction.

The fact even Facebook Messenger allows you to also merge it with SMS (and allow it to be the default SMS application) and yet Allo doesn't screams of a missed opportunity from Google.

I agree, Google needs to get on that. But even if Google takes years to do so, or if they don't do it at all, I still don't see them throwing another messenger in the mix, cause it'll be too hard to top the Allo UI. Allo is the make or break end-all of Google's attempt at a good messenger for Android.
[doublepost=1494864786][/doublepost]
You do forget one 'small' thing. If google decides to make that app and include it into EVERY android, OEM's will have to play ball. Why do you think that every android comes with play store, chrome, photos and some other google apps?

Google demands it. Otherwise, there will be no google services on that phone, and that means no play store. Even Samsung without gmail and play store would fail, not to mention others like HTC, LG and Sony.

That's a good point.

I wonder if that's why Duo was included on my S8+.

Reactions: MRU

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Well my 14 days is here and with bittersweet feelings, I went back to the IP7+.

The decision was multifaceted from a smart financial move to family needs in the ecosystem.

I absolutely loved the S8+ and every single thing it did and offered. The screen is mesmerizing. The OS has been trimmed down a lot and actually very nice. Samsung Pay was life changing with how many places took it. And the form factor of how big the screen was in a small package made transport and daily use a pleasure.

That being said, I opened up a 3rd line and thought I would just sell my 7+ and offset the cost. Well I tried for almost 3 weeks across multiple areas and not a single bite. Didn't make financial sense to have both for me.

Also, I am so engrained in it for my family and new babies in our extended family for iOS and ease of pics/videos across the platform, approving apps for my son is a must in the AppStore.

If the world was a perfect place they would put iOS into the S8+ body and I'd have almost my perfect phone.

Next time, I will buy outright from BB or something unlocked and go that route but right now I am back in the iOS camp and thank everyone for all the help and pointers in this area.

I will continue to lurk around as I enjoy the "discussions" in this area ;)

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
But to put google services by default on any android phone, you have to follow some basic guidelines. I do know this because I used to work for one of the manufactures (small time fish).

And there is a reason every android phone comes with a google search on desktop.
http://www.androidcentral.com/there...new-android-phones-google-wrote-contracts-way

Google doesn't care if you use customized launcher. Google doesn't make or loose money on that. But what google does care about is it's own services. If you fail to use googles guidelines, well, you can't put google services on your phone.

Just look at China for example. Huawei and 1000 other OEM's have Play Store, Gmail, etc. But Xiaomi (and that is a big time player!) doesn't. Why?

Yeah I don't think Google forces the play store on oems if anything the oems need the play store. I mean how are you going to get apps then lol.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Explain Amazon then...? And why would any of that suggest Google would want to force their own iMessage on OEM's? Yes, there's a reason Google wants Search first and foremost. That's about all they care about.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well my 14 days is here and with bittersweet feelings, I went back to the IP7+.

The decision was multifaceted from a smart financial move to family needs in the ecosystem.

I absolutely loved the S8+ and every single thing it did and offered. The screen is mesmerizing. The OS has been trimmed down a lot and actually very nice. Samsung Pay was life changing with how many places took it. And the form factor of how big the screen was in a small package made transport and daily use a pleasure.

That being said, I opened up a 3rd line and thought I would just sell my 7+ and offset the cost. Well I tried for almost 3 weeks across multiple areas and not a single bite. Didn't make financial sense to have both for me.

Also, I am so engrained in it for my family and new babies in our extended family for iOS and ease of pics/videos across the platform, approving apps for my son is a must in the AppStore.

If the world was a perfect place they would put iOS into the S8+ body and I'd have almost my perfect phone.

Next time, I will buy outright from BB or something unlocked and go that route but right now I am back in the iOS camp and thank everyone for all the help and pointers in this area.

I will continue to lurk around as I enjoy the "discussions" in this area ;)
Unfortunately in the USA with so many people just seemingly programmed to only understand Apple and iMessage, I can't fully move into my S8+ as my sole device. My husband has been able to do it because most of his contacts are professional ones who are also technically proficient and don't have green bubble phobia and switch fluidly between Android and IOS. My contacts are more, well..."If it's not an iPhone it's not a phone." But I can't blame it all on sheeplism because iMessage does make things so much easier for those of us who can't or won't use FB as well. I completely understand your reasons for sticking with your IPhone. I think it was great that you gave the S8+ such a fair try. I love seeing people broaden their perspectives on this forum.

Meanwhile my S8+ so far handles some oddly formatted emails better than my iPhone can. On my iPhone the emails I got from Anker Direct had the text formatted in such a way the email was unreadable.

I wish I could use some magic and squish the best aspects of my two favorite phones together!

I'm trying to divorce myself from iOS a little bit more than I had been...it's a decision I came to out of frustration with my iPad mini 4 and mini 2. I feel the Mini 4 especially works poorly for me, for being so "young" and well cared for and expensive. My husband did ask me a few days before Mother's Day if I wanted an Apple Watch Series 2 for Mother's Day. I declined. I didn't want another "anchor" in the ecosystem. Especially such an expensive one. It kind of killed me to pass such an offer up because I really do love Apple Watches and wanted to use the Series 2 in the pool this summer. But I didn't like how the holiday is getting so materialistic, anyway.

Instead, I got hand drawn cards which I adore! And I did get to spend the day with my mom and my mother-in-law so it was the best day ever. They both had been very ill but looked great. I visited one in a physical rehabilitation facility and one at home. I'm kind of beat and about to babble since I'm also having to give up coffee yet again because it's tearing up my stomach. So I'll be keeping a low profile while I'm tired and grumpy. I can't live up to my username too much!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with this thread and do hope you continue to feel welcome here. After all, I love the Blackberry KeyOne thread and I don't even have a prayer of getting one of those. But I love to look at them!

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with this thread and do hope you continue to feel welcome here.

Great perspective and some of your points are right on. I find myself dabbling into the Android pool every year with the new Note and Galaxy line release but look at it more as a fling than a relationship as I always come back!

I think it is because of the reasons you stated. I have a MacBook, an ATV, iPhones of course, and then 4 iPads in my house.

Little by little I have "anchored" myself into this ecosystem but it is one that works fantastically for me and for what I utilize it for its all I need.

I will sit and wait...and wait...and wait for Apple to step up their hardware game and create something different.

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I'm on the same boat as you guys above. Love the form factor of the S8+, but miss the simplicity of ios. Even now, I've gotten back into keeping an eye on my battery and making sure things are optimized for best performance; things I never had to worry about with ios.

As much as I used to love Android, I've grown close to how easy things are with ios; just set and forget. Alongside the small perks like iMessage and FaceTime, it just works.

With that said, I'm strongly considering using one of my jumps to go back to an iPhone and just sit out for the iPhone 8.

We'll see.

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I will say this. The theory that iOS is more stable is becoming a myth. The S8+ is very stable and I've had little to no issues to speak of, which is something I can't say about my last experience with iOS where suddenly my battery became worse after the 10.3.1 update.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I will say this. The theory that iOS is more stable is becoming a myth. The S8+ is very stable and I've had little to no issues to speak of, which is something I can't say about my last experience with iOS where suddenly my battery became worse after the 10.3.1 update.

I've been saying similar things for years. The idea that iOS is not just more stable, but also faster, easier to use, and more advance has been a myth for some time now.

Likewise, they used to be the best in hardware, too. Best screen, best camera, best designs, best ergonomics... The iPhone is none of these anymore.

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I've been saying similar things for years. The idea that iOS is not just more stable, but also faster, easier to use, and more advance has been a myth for some time now.
For average people not techies, I think Android can be confusing. For example there are two messages apps, two email apps, two browsers, etc. Plus bloatware that people wont know to delete or deactivate.

So It can become overwhelming compared to IOS where its straightforward.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

Indeed. I'm typing this on my iPhone 7 as I got once again fed up with the update situation and careless attitude towards security on Android. However, even though some apps are a little bit more polished on iOS still, I'm having to give up functionality such as mobile payments and anything NFC now that I'm back on the iPhone. I've also started missing the dedicated back button as the navigation options aren't as clear as they used to be and occasionally in some apps it's a bit of a guesswork to figure out what and where I should swipe to get back while on Android it's always crystal clear.

The rumors about yet another price increase are also troubling me. While the high price in Apple's case does guarantee software support for many years, there's a limit somewhere and we're dangerously close to that. If only Android manufacturers would step up their game regarding (especially security) updates, everything would be much easier. Every now and then I'm thinking about switching my main SIM to the S7 Edge, but then I'd have to deal with back and multitasking buttons being the wrong way around. Of course the S8 would fix that by finally providing a configuration option, but I'd hate myself for dropping 800€ on one now and then having Samsung almost inevitably drop the ball with updates once S9 or Android O comes out less than a year later.

Sigh. This is as hard as a first world problem gets :p

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
For average people not techies, I think Android can be confusing. For example there are two messages apps, two email apps, two browsers, etc. Plus bloatware that people wont know to delete or deactivate.

So It can become overwhelming compared to IOS where its straightforward.
But for many non techies they do not even realise there are two of these things and often think the bundled bloat is cool and as for going to the playstore its for geeks let alone something like iTunes :)

The stock screen on most Androids or even the Easy mode could not be any simpler or cleaner even compared to Iphone

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah I don't think Google forces the play store on oems if anything the oems need the play store. I mean how are you going to get apps then lol.

You get them by other stores. You would be surprised in how many stores there are. And a few of them are quite popular. Look at Xiaomi as the biggest example there is. They sell their phones with 0$ profit. And they have some really great phones. Where do they make money then? Well, in their own services, and their own store.

Explain Amazon then...? And why would any of that suggest Google would want to force their own iMessage on OEM's? Yes, there's a reason Google wants Search first and foremost. That's about all they care about.

You have my Xiaomi example above. About Amazon - can't explain anything, since I know nothing about their Fire phone or whatever it is called. Amazon is limited in their (full) services to small amount of countries, and my country is not on their love list, so I never had any interest into their hardware products :)

And you have my example above and the link to the article. Google it up. EOD from me on this subject :)

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Allo still has a chance. Google is still actively working on it. I can't see Google working on another messenger, being that the Allo UI is near perfection.
I agree with you mate!
Allo is the sole reason I haven't gone back to iPhone from my beloved Pixel for iMessage functionality!
The wife and I have been using Allo for months now and it is better than iMessage in usability full stop.
Allo just needs to get traction as it is much better than the wreck that is hangouts!
I hope it gets the push from Google it deserves!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Indeed. I'm typing this on my iPhone 7 as I got once again fed up with the update situation and careless attitude towards security on Android. However, even though some apps are a little bit more polished on iOS still, I'm having to give up functionality such as mobile payments and anything NFC now that I'm back on the iPhone. I've also started missing the dedicated back button as the navigation options aren't as clear as they used to be and occasionally in some apps it's a bit of a guesswork to figure out what and where I should swipe to get back while on Android it's always crystal clear.

The rumors about yet another price increase are also troubling me. While the high price in Apple's case does guarantee software support for many years, there's a limit somewhere and we're dangerously close to that. If only Android manufacturers would step up their game regarding (especially security) updates, everything would be much easier. Every now and then I'm thinking about switching my main SIM to the S7 Edge, but then I'd have to deal with back and multitasking buttons being the wrong way around. Of course the S8 would fix that by finally providing a configuration option, but I'd hate myself for dropping 800€ on one now and then having Samsung almost inevitably drop the ball with updates once S9 or Android O comes out less than a year later.

Sigh. This is as hard as a first world problem gets :p

Indeed.

And it's interesting that you mention typing on an iPhone -- that's one of the biggest reasons I can't deal with iOS. The Gboard experience on Android is lightyears ahead of the iOS keyboard experience. Even text editing is better despite iOS having 3D Touch. With Gboard, you can move the cursor with the space bar left/right without the need of an added layer of hardware, which requires pressure and doesn't always work. Sometimes I'll 3D Touch to move my cursor, and it'll just highlight the letter I've landed on. I have to let go and press harder or just press again cause it didn't capture my first pressure touch. Gboard solves the editing entirely in software; Apple solves it partially with hardware. I think software is the better way to go. I also find Gboard's ability to slide and erase from the backspace key the thing I use to edit most anyway.

And don't get me started on one-handed typing...

This is the sort of day to day stuff that I mean when I say these features are more important to me than security updates. Common sense can protect me from almost all security concerns. Nothing I can do can save me from the iOS keyboard!

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Indeed.

And it's interesting that you mention typing on an iPhone -- that's one of the biggest reasons I can't deal with iOS. The Gboard experience on Android is lightyears ahead of the iOS keyboard experience. Even text editing is better despite iOS having 3D Touch. With Gboard, you can move the cursor with the space bar left/right without the need of an added layer of hardware, which requires pressure and doesn't always work. Sometimes I'll 3D Touch to move my cursor, and it'll just highlight the letter I've landed on. I have to let go and press harder or just press again cause it didn't capture my first pressure touch. Gboard solves the editing entirely in software; Apple solves it partially with hardware. I think software is the better way to go. I also find Gboard's ability to slide and erase from the backspace key the thing I use to edit most anyway.

And don't get me started on one-handed typing...

This is the sort of day to day stuff that I mean when I say these features are more important to me than security updates. Common sense can protect me from almost all security concerns. Nothing I can do can save me from the iOS keyboard!
Good thing IOS has gboard as well. :D

Reactions: epicrayban

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Wow, I had somehow missed how you can move the cursor with the space bar on Gboard, thanks for the tip! It's faster and a little bit more accurate than the iOS version when moving the cursor on the same row. However, if you need to return further back to a different row, then the iOS version is quicker. Nevertheless, this is one more thing that makes me consider if I could tolerate the goofy button arrangement on the S7 Edge. It's currently on the April patches, but I'm a bit worried about how long I'll have to wait for the next updates. At least I'd regain all the NFC fun and fast charging without compromising on the camera. I also have the OnePlus 3T which is great in many respects and it would take both of my SIMs, but it's lacking waterproofing and the camera is rather mediocre. I'm also still more than a bit upset about OnePlus sitting on vulnerabilities instead of patching especially the obvious stuff (plain http OTAs in 2017, are they kidding me?).

Practically the only things that keep the iPhone in the game for me are guaranteed updates, AirPods, and the Apple Watch. For the latter two I have perfectly functional substitutes on the Android side, but they just aren't as nice. However, getting the full potential out of my phone even though I don't live in the US is also nice

Reactions: epicrayban

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Argh. Been avoiding this thread, trying to resist getting the S8 and wait until Note 8 and get 2 for one deal then. But today my wife completely cracked her screen on her iPhone 7Plus, no apple care. She has her eyes set on my S7, so now I'm I'm reseting my S7 to give to her. I'm using my Note 5, but the screen has 1 hairline crack that goes from one end to the other and bothers me when I notice it.

So now the temptation to get the S8 is at an all time high, I can get it with no down payment and $25 a month and free wireless charger. Someone please talk me down, no need to get myself into a payment plan, but don't have a suitable small android phone at the moment.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Argh. Been avoiding this thread, trying to resist getting the S8 and wait until Note 8 and get 2 for one deal then. But today my wife completely cracked her screen on her iPhone 7Plus, no apple care. She has her eyes set on my S7, so now I'm I'm reseting my S7 to give to her. I'm using my Note 5, but the screen has 1 hairline crack that goes from one end to the other and bothers me when I notice it.

So now the temptation to get the S8 is at an all time high, I can get it with no down payment and $25 a month and free wireless charger. Someone please talk me down, no need to get myself into a payment plan, but don't have a suitable small android phone at the moment.

Do.It.!
Just.Buy.The.S8

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.