Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
For those interested in Tasker, I just found this and finished setting it up. I haven't tested, but I'll post if it does.

Edit:the script doesn't seem to be working. So I removed the URL.

Last edited:

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Deinifktey not gonna be keeping the S8+. The fingerprint sensor (which I use all the time) is so terribly located imo it's just so cumbersome to use. Maybe I haven't given it enogh time but first impressions are that it's somewhat ruining the experience for me.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Deinifktey not gonna be keeping the S8+. The fingerprint sensor (which I use all the time) is so terribly located imo it's just so cumbersome to use. Maybe I haven't given it enogh time but first impressions are that it's somewhat ruining the experience for me.
It took me about a day of two to get acclimated on it. Then about a week to like it. At some point I found I prefer it right where it is. But we all have different sized hands and ways of using the phone so you have to go with what works for you. Eventually when they work out the difficulties, both Samsung and Apple will likely try to wow us by integrating the sensor within the screen. So why not use an extra couple of days to familiarize yourself with the other aspects of the phone, so you will have a better idea of what Samsung is doing and the direction they're going in, aside from putting the fingerprint sensor in a weird place. ;)

That way if the Note 8 comes out with the fingerprint sensor restored to the front of the phone, you will have a good idea how Samsung evolved the Note 8 past the S8+. It seems a shame to not make use of the full return period to get a feel for the whole experience.
[doublepost=1494707483][/doublepost]
Does anyone know Samsungs return policy if I buy an S8 from their website? I cant find it.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/customer-shopping-faqs/#questionID32

It's horrible. 14 days for phones. 15% restocking fee if it's not defective and you're stuck using their 800 number which their customers describe as quite the experience with long hold times and transfers.

Except for certain phones purchased on Samsung.com, you have 30 days from the date we shipped your product to receive a refund. All returns must be authorized by Samsung prior to sending.

Returning a Phone:

To return or exchange defective or unopened phones, customers must (a) obtain an RMA number within 14 calendar days of the date the order was shipped to the delivery address specified on the order and (b) return the merchandise to Samsung Direct within the Return Period of 14 calendar days of the date the RMA number was issued by Samsung Direct.

Your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us, and we do everything we can to ensure that your experience at Samsung.com makes your life a little easier. For your convenience, you may return or exchange merchandise you purchased online within 30 days of purchase. Please note that you may be charged a 15% Restocking Fee for non-defective returned items.

Please call us toll-free at 855-726-8721, seven days a week, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. EST to return or exchange your merchandise.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We do everything we can to ensure that your experience at Samsung.com makes your life just a little easier, and will do everything we can to remedy the situation as soon as possible.

Reactions: Zaft and bgro

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

How long have you had it? If it's been more than a few days and you still aren't happy with it, I don't know if you'll ever get used to it. I think attitude toward it affects one's perception of it. If one was unhappy with it before purchasing they will probably only find reasons to continue disliking it afterwards.

I like the position and actually prefer it where it is over being on the front at the bottom. It just feels natural where it is. Of course if they can integrate it into the screen that would be great, but I wouldn't go back to the old position.

I don't have to use it often, though. I use the iris scanner for unlocking so the only time I use fp scanner is for banking app and 1Password.

Reactions: 5105973

nickosbad

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
It took me about a day of two to get acclimated on it. Then about a week to like it. At some point I found I prefer it right where it is. But we all have different sized hands and ways of using the phone so you have to go with what works for you. Eventually when they work out the difficulties, both Samsung and Apple will likely try to wow us by integrating the sensor within the screen. So why not use an extra couple of days to familiarize yourself with the other aspects of the phone, so you will have a better idea of what Samsung is doing and the direction they're going in, aside from putting the fingerprint sensor in a weird place. ;)

That way if the Note 8 comes out with the fingerprint sensor restored to the front of the phone, you will have a good idea how Samsung evolved the Note 8 past the S8+. It seems a shame to not make use of the full return period to get a feel for the whole experience.
[doublepost=1494707483][/doublepost]

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/customer-shopping-faqs/#questionID32

It's horrible. 14 days for phones. 15% restocking fee if it's not defective and you're stuck using their 800 number which their customers describe as quite the experience with long hold times and transfers.

Except for certain phones purchased on Samsung.com, you have 30 days from the date we shipped your product to receive a refund. All returns must be authorized by Samsung prior to sending.

Returning a Phone:

To return or exchange defective or unopened phones, customers must (a) obtain an RMA number within 14 calendar days of the date the order was shipped to the delivery address specified on the order and (b) return the merchandise to Samsung Direct within the Return Period of 14 calendar days of the date the RMA number was issued by Samsung Direct.

Your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us, and we do everything we can to ensure that your experience at Samsung.com makes your life a little easier. For your convenience, you may return or exchange merchandise you purchased online within 30 days of purchase. Please note that you may be charged a 15% Restocking Fee for non-defective returned items.

Please call us toll-free at 855-726-8721, seven days a week, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. EST to return or exchange your merchandise.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We do everything we can to ensure that your experience at Samsung.com makes your life just a little easier, and will do everything we can to remedy the situation as soon as possible.

For once the UK gets a better policy....you've got 28 days to try it and return it if you don't like it (as long as it isn't damaged)

Im bored with my iP6S so I'm thinking of giving one a go but not sure if S8 or S8+

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
How long have you had it? If it's been more than a few days and you still aren't happy with it, I don't know if you'll ever get used to it. I think attitude toward it affects one's perception of it. If one was unhappy with it before purchasing they will probably only find reasons to continue disliking it afterwards.

I like the position and actually prefer it where it is over being on the front at the bottom. It just feels natural where it is. Of course if they can integrate it into the screen that would be great, but I wouldn't go back to the old position.

I don't have to use it often, though. I use the iris scanner for unlocking so the only time I use fp scanner is for banking app and 1Password.
I've only had it a day lol. Had nothing to do with attitude as I went in with an open mind but I just can't get used to it maybe it's my hands but I'm fumbling around trying to unlock the phone and I use a lot of apps with the FP sensor

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I've only had it a day lol. Had nothing to do with attitude as I went in with an open mind but I just can't get used to it maybe it's my hands but I'm fumbling around trying to unlock the phone and I use a lot of apps with the FP sensor
Actually if anyone had a bad attitude toward this phone it was me. When I saw the leaks I thought it looked ugly. I didn't like any of the curves. I thought the placement of the fingerprint sensor was absurd. I was really set on the LG G6. Then LG had to shoot themselves in the foot by insisting all the good features and specs would be for Asia, only. Except we did get wireless charging, so I'll give them that much. It's an all glass phone so every customer should have gotten wireless charging. 32GB onboard storage was not going to meet my needs in 2017. So I gave the S8+ a chance and I'm so glad I did.

I'm sorry it's not working out for you, but like I said, see if you like the other aspects of the phone in case the Note 8 has the sensor placed where you can use it. Make sure you like what Samsung is doing otherwise and try what little there is of Bixby to use.

OnePlus should be announcing their new phone in the not too distant future. That might be worth checking out, too.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Actually if anyone had a bad attitude toward this phone it was me. When I saw the leaks I thought it looked ugly. I didn't like any of the curves. I thought the placement of the fingerprint sensor was absurd. I was really set on the LG G6. Then LG had to shoot themselves in the foot by insisting all the good features and specs would be for Asia, only. Except we did get wireless charging, so I'll give them that much. It's an all glass phone so every customer should have gotten wireless charging. 32GB onboard storage was not going to meet my needs in 2017. So I gave the S8+ a chance and I'm so glad I did.

I'm sorry it's not working out for you, but like I said, see if you like the other aspects of the phone in case the Note 8 has the sensor placed where you can use it. Make sure you like what Samsung is doing otherwise and try what little there is of Bixby to use.

OnePlus should be announcing their new phone in the not too distant future. That might be worth checking out, too.
Yeah I'll def play around with it for a few days but this is a deal breaker for me. I had no issues with the placement of the sensor on the Pixel XL but it's just way out of place on the S8+ for my usage.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Hey y'all, quick question. Do any of you know if I can get ATT's latest software update without ever inserting the sim card? Thanks.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I'm still struggling with what to do. I love the design and functionality of the S8 Plus and I have the iPhone 7 plus.

I've very recently (3 months ago) purchased the AW SB Link and really enjoying that too, especially when I just need to glance at my notifications in a meeting or out and about.

I don't know what to do in regards to a daily driver. Does anyone else use two devices daily?

I'm thinking maybe use my iP7+ And AW as my daily and the S8 as a secondary device.

Or failing the above, maybe buying the Samsung Tab S3 and drop the S8.

First world problems I know but I really don't know what to do and it's bugging me.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
I'm actually shocked I'm contemplating the S8 now.
I recently got the Gear S3 which has won me over.
Thinking of pairing it with a S8.
Only thing is my Pixel.. I can't justify keeping it and the market value on it after a quick glance is shockingly low! It's not even half of the RRP I paid in December!

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Only thing is my Pixel.. I can't justify keeping it and the market value on it after a quick glance is shockingly low! It's not even half of the RRP I paid in December!
Yes! The Gear S3 is my favorite smartwatch now! The only thing I miss is that I enjoyed reading sports scores on the Apple Watch but I'm guessing there's an app on the Samsung store that I haven't found.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I'm still struggling with what to do. I love the design and functionality of the S8 Plus and I have the iPhone 7 plus.

I've very recently (3 months ago) purchased the AW SB Link and really enjoying that too, especially when I just need to glance at my notifications in a meeting or out and about.

I don't know what to do in regards to a daily driver. Does anyone else use two devices daily?

I'm thinking maybe use my iP7+ And AW as my daily and the S8 as a secondary device.

Or failing the above, maybe buying the Samsung Tab S3 and drop the S8.

First world problems I know but I really don't know what to do and it's bugging me.

Maybe get a Gear S3 which works with the iPhone (with limited functionality) and then you can use both phones interchangeably?Those of us that have the phone bug and like to switch phones and OSs and like to try the newest technology recognize that cross platform apps/devices are the way to go as using them allows us to easily move to a different platform without disrupting our workflow.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Have you got a case on it? I've got a clear cover on mine that adds hardly any bulk but includes a cutout for the fingerprint scanner that makes it incredibly easy to locate and use it.

I didn't use the FPS much at first as I really like the iris scanner, but with the case on it's very easy to unlock with the FPS when taking the phone out of my pocket and it's ready to go by the time it's out (it will unlock and go to the home screen just by touching the FPS) so I've been using it much more recently

Reactions: Demo Kit

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
really? sadly this is the issue I have with android. Fanastic devices but it's hard to sell it for anything worth while if i upgraded every year.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Maybe get a Gear S3 which works with the iPhone (with limited functionality) and then you can use both phones interchangeably?Those of us that have the phone bug and like to switch phones and OSs and like to try the newest technology recognize that cross platform apps/devices are the way to go as using them allows us to easily move to a different platform without disrupting our workflow.

I've been watching YouTube videos on the Gear S3 - it looks fantastic but at 46mm it's simply too big for my wrists.

I'm tied up in the Apple system but it wouldn't be too much of an issue to switch.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Have you got a case on it? I've got a clear cover on mine that adds hardly any bulk but includes a cutout for the fingerprint scanner that makes it incredibly easy to locate and use it.

I didn't use the FPS much at first as I really like the iris scanner, but with the case on it's very easy to unlock with the FPS when taking the phone out of my pocket and it's ready to go by the time it's out (it will unlock and go to the home screen just by touching the FPS) so I've been using it much more recently
Funny you say that because I was thinking this morning that a case might make a difference. I'm careless right now. Going over to Best Buy later and going to pick one up.
[doublepost=1494776407][/doublepost]
I've been watching YouTube videos on the Gear S3 - it looks fantastic but at 46mm it's simply too big for my wrists.

I'm tied up in the Apple system but it wouldn't be too much of an issue to switch.

Yup it's definitely a big watch. I'm relatively tied up in the Apple ecosystem hardware wise myself but I've slowly been converting over to Google and other cross platform based services. Makes it easy to use any hardware you want. The Apple Watch is really the only piece of Apple hardware that makes it hard to switch to a different platform. And iMessage/FaceTime really the only Apple software that makes it difficult as well.

Without using those three things than u can switch back and forth seamlessly.

Reactions: maka344 and Phil A.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yes! The Gear S3 is my favorite smartwatch now! The only thing I miss is that I enjoyed reading sports scores on the Apple Watch but I'm guessing there's an app on the Samsung store that I haven't found.

I am incredibly satisfied with my Gear S3. Fantastic smartwatch.

I thought it would feel huge on the wrist, but now the Apple watch feels dainty in comparison.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I am incredibly satisfied with my Gear S3. Fantastic smartwatch.

I thought it would feel huge on the wrist, but now the Apple watch feels dainty in comparison.

That battery life is the best thing about the S3 to me. Loving being able to just not worry about it for 2-3 days at a stretch.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Showed it today to a couple of ladies who have always stuck with iPhones.

They looked on in awe at the S8, and looked back in disgust at their iPhones :D

But frustrated they may be at the iPhones (and unbothered by iMessage as they use WhatsApp etc), they really like their Apple Watches so have to put up with it. There isn't really much in the way of smartwatches for ladies, unfortunately, and my Gear S3 is built for bigger wrists.

Samsung, do a Gear S4 in 2 sizes. Seriously. That with an awesome Galaxy S9 could pull a lot of Apple diehards away.

Reactions: jamesrick80

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Samsung, do a Gear S4 in 2 sizes. Seriously. That with an awesome Galaxy S9 could pull a lot of Apple diehards away.

And also hire coders who have at least basic understanding of secure development. Tizen as it stands is a security nightmare and it's troubling that many issues are in the code written in the last two years. The S3 is enticing otherwise, but knowing the state of its software, I can't bring myself to use one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.