Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Yes, I can do in line replies from the notification shade and if I'm on my lock screen and select reply, it does a security check with my eyeballs/pattern/fingerprint/etc then you can reply from the lock screen.
You cant reply without security authentication?
[doublepost=1494603742][/doublepost]
Definitely don't think there's anything wrong with you. :)

The reasons you mention are all justifiable enough. The Note 8 should be a beast!
What can you really do with the note though... Add a stylus and thats it?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm talking about speed of UI, apps, and system functions. I don't count more apps in memory, which I mentioned in my post, as speed.

You don't have to count them, but most do. I multitask a lot, and samsung is notorious for memory management, while OP owns in that areas. As far as pure UI goes, I'm gonna go with OP/Pixel once again, since Samsung still stutters here and there. And we have yet to see how will samsung UI behave in a couple of months.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You don't have to count them, but most do. I multitask a lot, and samsung is notorious for memory management, while OP owns in that areas. As far as pure UI goes, I'm gonna go with OP/Pixel once again, since Samsung still stutters here and there. And we have yet to see how will samsung UI behave in a couple of months.

Were all still searching for that elusive 'perfect' device ... We get closer each year but there is always some compromise here and there and tbh it's probably a good thing as where do you go once a company has released perfection ? (Does perfection actually even exist?)

Were in a good place overall right now regardless of your device of choice or even platform. Like it or loath it but Android & iOS are moving closer together where the 'end destination' is much the same between them even if the road they have taken to get there is different.

The last 7 months have been a really good few months (if we exclude the Note 7 from that) and the rest of this year bodes well.

I hope HTC don't shoot themselves in the foot but wouldn't be surprised even if the HTC U turns out to be really good and I hope Google get their game together and make the Pixel 2 available more widely (or just available full stop), that Apple doesn't put the price up of the iPhone 8 as iPhones are already getting way too expensive and Samsung make the Note 8 great (and available in a flat version please Samsung).

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
but that is not very secure now is it? Anyone can see the notification on your iphone and pick it up and reply.....
Yes but that's my choice, I am giving up security for convenience. I know people who don't even have a passcode on their phones..

Edit: I will add that I find iOS annoying in that it does not allow 3rd party keyboards on the lock screen.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yes but that's my choice, I am giving up security for convenience. I know people who don't even have a passcode on their phones..

Edit: I will add that I find iOS annoying in that it does not allow 3rd party keyboards on the lock screen.

as customize-able as android is, i assume there's an option somewhere/somehow to do what you want.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hi everyone! There's so much to catch up on. Thanks for the well wishes for my family. All 4 of "the elders" have serious stuff going on that sometimes erupts suddenly, necessitating dropping everything and establishing a new normal... it all just is what it is. Sucks to be the "sandwich generation" but it's an honor, too, and a good reminder the world does not revolve around oneself or material things.

Lol, but there's one material thing that's been a joy to me through some rough moments and it's my S8+. When I just had to use it without consciously trying to evaluate it all the time, it became a seamless part of my day. I can not afford one slip up right now in terms of missing alarms, calls, texts or any other attempts to reach me, so I am using both my iPhone 7 Plus and S8+. They're a great team. Battery life is comparable on both. I get better screen on time with the S8+ even with a bright setting. The iPhone does have better standby time. On a day I didn't use either very much the iPhone ended with about 8-10% more left. I have to use a range because they both got some use.

Anyway as far as cases I find the Samsung LED wallet/folio style one to be nice. It's very slim. You can dismiss alarms on the cover. It turns off the display when you close the cover, like an iPad cover does. Since this has taken over a lot of what I use an iPad for, I appreciate it. It also provides some protection to the display.

I would not recommend using the card slot in the cover, though. I have a similar slot on an iPhone wallet case and my cards scratched the hell out of my screen protector.

I finally got the AT&T update so no more pink frame! I did not believe it was going to work but it did. Wow, the display is so much more impressive to me now. There is still a slight hint of pink but that is due to refraction and I have the same on my S7 Edge. It's not a distraction like the more obvious "pink stain" was before.

My husband has been using his S8+ as his "daily driver" and loves it. He uses Samsung Pay a lot and it's worked fine at all but one register so far.

Well I have to get going. Have a great weekend everyone.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Just wanted to point out another excellent little feature of the S8.

It was always a pet hate of mine that the volume buttons would pop up with the entire list of options for volume - Ring tone, Notifications, System and Media.

9 times out 10, I would want to adjust Media and leave the others.

On the S8, it asked me at the beginning if I wanted to keep the volume buttons for Media only and it has genuinely made life a LOT easier.

Great little touch, honestly.

Nice touch though I would opt to see all 4 options.

That's one of the must-have tweaks on my jailbroken 6s.

I tell ya...in some ways, I am so ready to jump to Android!

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I stated earlier that I requested a
Does anyone know Samsungs return policy if I buy an S8 from their website? I cant find it.
A phone can be returned two weeks from delivery date. You can be charged a restocking fee for a phone w/o hardware faults. I actually called in to return mine but I've been waiting for a week for my return slip/packaging.

It might be better getting it from Best Buy since you have a store to return it to.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

You can increase or decrease your security settings as you wish and even have them based on local or proximity to other devices using smart lock

It's not compulsory unless like my company security policy locks down certain things

Reactions: Zaft

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Picking up my son from just now and found this dove nest. Had to zoom to get this but you can barely see a baby dove's head sticking out :)
a085d7b6de190b4e5ab83958be3945fc.jpg

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Picked up an S8+ at Best Buy tonite. Couldn't resist even after I "decided" last night to suck it up and wait for the Note 8. Still sitting in the box unopened. I picked up a Nintendo 3DS too and I'm hoping this will satisfy my toy craving and I can return the phone unopened lol. Doubtful.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
I'm definitely happy the s8 keeps the headphone jack. Considering you can have both a jack and Bluetooth, there's no reason to rush this "courageous feature."

The s8 squeezes so much into such a small package. I don't fully understand how Apple couldn't find room for a headphone jack.

[doublepost=1494595535][/doublepost]

It's....its umm courage! Lol. OMG that comment from Schiller still irks the ever loving hell outta me. You mean to tell me Samsung can have a phone thats sleeker, better water proofing, AND STILL keep the headphone jack but Apple couldn't do the same? Sorry for the mini rant but that crapped annoyed me and kinda pissed me off that apple could be that damn arrogant

Hinds90

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
I'm really enjoying the s8+. Picked it up on release day after having the iphone 6+ since it's release day. The last android device I hade was a samsung note 3 which was a great phone that had no issues. Only issue with s8+ is a slight stutter when tapping the home soft key to close a app to get to the home screen.

Reactions: 5105973

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's....its umm courage! Lol. OMG that comment from Schiller still irks the ever loving hell outta me. You mean to tell me Samsung can have a phone thats sleeker, better water proofing, AND STILL keep the headphone jack but Apple couldn't do the same? Sorry for the mini rant but that crapped annoyed me and kinda pissed me off that apple could be that damn arrogant

If you opened up a 7 Plus, you'd see that the larger taptic engine protrudes into where the headphone jack would be.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
[doublepost=1494603742][/doublepost]
What can you really do with the note though... Add a stylus and thats it?

- Bigger Battery
- Dual Camera
- Fingerprintsensor integrated into display
- Stereo Speaker[/QUOTE]
Don't think it's a lock that the fingerprint will be in the display if apple are having similar trouble with it

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.