Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I mentioned before that I got the S8 and swapped the Mrs S6 for my old S7 then finally traded in the old S6 for $240 and got the S8+

After a week or so decided to keep the S8+ for myself as I hardly notice the difference in my pocket or carrying around but it allows me to do a squinty kung-fu look (without my glasses) just enough to read a message

So I will give the S8 to the Mrs so we can keep the old S7 for our other sims having 3 each UK/UAE/Thai

What I did notice in doing a factory reset that the phone was originally a UAE international dual sim unlocked version with UAE CRS code and Samsung pay locked to UAE bank cards only but restarting the factory reset with just a Thai sim changed the CRS code Samsung pay and some local apps all to Thailand

I can only guess that the S8's seem to auto configure based on sim so may be those in US who buy overseas international versions may get the same option and Samsung pay etc may switch to US banks etc

Last edited:

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Even iMessage can be beaten. Obviously you guys in USA use it a lot. In europe we don't. WA and Viber are popular here, depends on the country/region.

I simply can't understand that google hasn't offered their own competitor. It's like they are playing games with their messaging apps. Not a real contender from google.

But I also don't understand samsung. They put a lot of bloatware on their phones. Their own store, their own assistant, duplicate email clients, browsers, musics apps, etc. But one thing that they are missing is a iMsg competitor. They are trying to compete with google services, but don't even bother with iMsg ?

Yes, I do know that they had an attempt on messaging. But lets face it, no one is gonna use samsung messaging if it works just on samsung devices. They need a killer app that should be on playstore and available to all android devices. Act and behave just like iMsg does. And then put it on App Store as well.

They sell a lot of devices. Easy for them to make the app popular. But why don't they give it a try? They throw everything in their devices to see if it will stick. But not this, one of the most important things ?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Even iMessage can be beaten. Obviously you guys in USA use it a lot. In europe we don't. WA and Viber are popular here, depends on the country/region.

I simply can't understand that google hasn't offered their own competitor. It's like they are playing games with their messaging apps. Not a real contender from google.

But I also don't understand samsung. They put a lot of bloatware on their phones. Their own store, their own assistant, duplicate email clients, browsers, musics apps, etc. But one thing that they are missing is a iMsg competitor. They are trying to compete with google services, but don't even bother with iMsg ?

Yes, I do know that they had an attempt on messaging. But lets face it, no one is gonna use samsung messaging if it works just on samsung devices. They need a killer app that should be on playstore and available to all android devices. Act and behave just like iMsg does. And then put it on App Store as well.

They sell a lot of devices. Easy for them to make the app popular. But why don't they give it a try? They throw everything in their devices to see if it will stick. But not this, one of the most important things ?

Not sure it's strictly fair to call Samsung native apps as bloatware and quite few you have the option to install/add during setup others you can delete and some you can disable and hide which is more than can be said for Apple :)

However

I believe Facebook msg is more used in US and as far as we could understand IMessage has about a 10th of the daily throughput of WhatsApp

I don't see anything really worthwhile competing against :) probably the number of uniqueish circumstances where whole families and friends are reliant on one service or insist on an IPhone so can can answer their calls on a MAC is likely no more than say the number of people who would swap if you could buy a red S8 :D

Personally I like the distinction between always free and sometimes free (excluding bundles/packages)

I don't know if Apple have any patents prohibiting something similar and given there is already many similar apps and massive user groups already embedded in other systems it's would be hard to justify given how fickle users can be.

If you recall the once success of Blackberry messenger especially in the UK that even ported over, never kept it's momentum

But I agree they would loose little in developing such an app

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I've only had it a day lol. Had nothing to do with attitude as I went in with an open mind but I just can't get used to it maybe it's my hands but I'm fumbling around trying to unlock the phone and I use a lot of apps with the FP sensor

A good case will direct your finger to the FPS without much fumbling ( after a day or two )

Since I use mine with the Gear S3, I have the Gear set as a trusted device wherein my S8+ automatically unlocks w/o requiring any security input from me. When (which is rare as I even shower and sleep with Gear on lol.. ) I don't have the Gear S3 on my wrist, ( and if I'm in a location that isn't added as a trusted device/location for unlock ) the device reverts back to requiring some input ( FPS, Iris, Pin/Pattern, Face ) for unlock.

So, I don't really use the FPS much at all! The Iris scanner works amazingly well !
[doublepost=1494796221][/doublepost]
I'm still struggling with what to do. I love the design and functionality of the S8 Plus and I have the iPhone 7 plus.

I've very recently (3 months ago) purchased the AW SB Link and really enjoying that too, especially when I just need to glance at my notifications in a meeting or out and about.

I don't know what to do in regards to a daily driver. Does anyone else use two devices daily?

I'm thinking maybe use my iP7+ And AW as my daily and the S8 as a secondary device.

Or failing the above, maybe buying the Samsung Tab S3 and drop the S8.

First world problems I know but I really don't know what to do and it's bugging me.

I saw you stated that the S3 is quite large for your liking/wrists, but if you can wing it.. the Gear S3 ( maybe the S2 too ) is an amazing companion with any Android, especially a Sammy device.

I use it with my S8+/Note 5, and my iP7+ (albeit, with limited functionality, as mentioned already) and really hope Samsung updates the watch for further use, more-so for iOS. However, it works with both OSes, so for that alone I sold my Series 2 SS!

I started with using my S8+ as a secondary device for the first 3..4 days, and hence switched to it being the primary. The iPhone now has been relegated to the backseat. Other than using it as a media player in my car, I haven't bothered ( or felt the urge to ) switch back to the iPhone anymore.

The S8 surpasses the iP7 in every useful way, imo and in my use case. I'm just struggling to find a way to DRM-free my iTunes movie purchases!
[doublepost=1494796456][/doublepost]
For those interested in Tasker, I just found this and finished setting it up. I haven't tested, but I'll post if it does.

Edit:the script doesn't seem to be working. So I removed the URL.

Never been a huge fan of Tasker ( been playing with it on and off since Note 3, iirc ) as it's always been a hit or miss. Same for IFTTT.

Last edited:
Reactions: bgro and HiDEF

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Not sure it's strictly fair to call Samsung native apps as bloatware and quite few you have the option to install/add during setup others you can delete and some you can disable and hide which is more than can be said for Apple :)

However

I believe Facebook msg is more used in US and as far as we could understand IMessage has about a 10th of the daily throughput of WhatsApp

I don't see anything really worthwhile competing against :) probably the number of uniqueish circumstances where whole families and friends are reliant on one service or insist on an IPhone so can can answer their calls on a MAC is likely no more than say the number of people who would swap if you could buy a red S8 :D

Personally I like the distinction between always free and sometimes free (excluding bundles/packages)

I don't know if Apple have any patents prohibiting something similar and given there is already many similar apps and massive user groups already embedded in other systems it's would be hard to justify given how fickle users can be.

If you recall the once success of Blackberry messenger especially in the UK that even ported over, never kept it's momentum

But I agree they would loose little in developing such an app

I'm not making a debate Samsung vs Apple, since I really dislike those kind of conversations. I use iOS and Android at the same time, and I love them equally :)

And you do get bloatware on all phones, iPhone included. But amount of bloatware on Samsung and iPhone is not comparable. You get dual browsers, dual app stores, dual notes, etc. I mean, in my own country I get a facebook app preinstalled! And all of this is without mentioning carrier bloatware...

But that is not the point I was trying to make. What I was trying to say is compliment Samsung - they are strong and big enough to put their own messanger app, and to make it really popular.

Blackberry? You are kidding, right?
Facebook msg? Well, I don't have facebook. And I really hate facebook. I know a lot of people use it, but I also do know a lot of people like myself who are refusing to use it.

But all of those are not iMessage competitors at all. iMessage is seamless in integrating itself into OS. If someone doesn't have iPhone, they will get a regular SMS/MMS. None of the above offer that. And Samsung could easily achieve just that. And they could easily make that app very popular.. At this point, I believe only Samsung or Google could achieve that. No one else.

Reactions: co.ag.2005 and MRU

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'm not making a debate Samsung vs Apple, since I really dislike those kind of conversations. I use iOS and Android at the same time, and I love them equally :)

And you do get bloatware on all phones, iPhone included. But amount of bloatware on Samsung and iPhone is not comparable. You get dual browsers, dual app stores, dual notes, etc. I mean, in my own country I get a facebook app preinstalled! And all of this is without mentioning carrier bloatware...

But that is not the point I was trying to make. What I was trying to say is compliment Samsung - they are strong and big enough to put their own messanger app, and to make it really popular.

Facebook msg? Well, I don't have facebook. And I really hate facebook. I know a lot of people use it, but I also do know a lot of people like myself who are refusing to use it.

But all of those are not iMessage competitors at all. iMessage is seamless in integrating itself into OS. If someone doesn't have iPhone, they will get a regular SMS/MMS. None of the above offer that. And Samsung could easily achieve just that. And they could easily make that app very popular.. At this point, I believe only Samsung or Google could achieve that. No one else.

I wouldn't look at Samsung's app store as bloat. Nor would I look at the Samsung browser as bloat. There are features on both that are apart of the Samsung experience. Chrome and Google Play will not provide that.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I think I'm one of five people who has replaced iMessage with Skype

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Does anyone know why the YouTube app doesn't adjust for the different display modes? Seems to be stuck in adaptive.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

At one time Samsung did have their own messenger called ChatOn. But it can't compete with whatsapp, line, kakao. So they scrapped it.

I don't think we will have a world ubiquitous messenger. But we do have it by country. Wechat is for China, line in Japan, whatsapp in many countries in Asia, FBM/viber in Europe.

I think the only country with issues is US. Due to prevalent of IMessage, it caused fragmentation. In other countries people just get on to the most popular messenger. You can't do that with IMessage. That's why apple is doing disservice to its supporters and others with its greed by locking people in

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
At one time Samsung did have their own messenger called ChatOn. But it can't compete with whatsapp, line, kakao. So they scrapped it.

I don't think we will have a world ubiquitous messenger. But we do have it by country. Wechat is for China, line in Japan, whatsapp in many countries in Asia, FBM/viber in Europe.

I think the only country with issues is US. Due to prevalent of IMessage, it caused fragmentation. In other countries people just get on to the most popular messenger. You can't do that with IMessage. That's why apple is doing disservice to its supporters and others with its greed by locking people in

ChatOn was good. But it came too early.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Locked in? No one is forced to use imessage even if you have an iPhone. It just turns out a lot of people actually like imessage and consider it a make or break feature.

There's no "fragmentation". People are free to use whatever message application they like. I switched from my iPhone to S8 and just use Facebook messenger and Allo more. If someone is incapable of doing that it's user error, not the result of being "locked in".

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Locked in? No one is forced to use imessage even if you have an iPhone. It just turns out a lot of people actually like imessage and consider it a make or break feature.

There's no "fragmentation". People are free to use whatever message application they like. I switched from my iPhone to S8 and just use Facebook messenger and Allo more. If someone is incapable of doing that it's user error, not the result of being "locked in".

User error indeed, but in reality it's a fine line. You'll be surprised how many people of all ages can't figure out how to shut iMessage off, unless the iPhone had a giant dedicated hard button to do so.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

You misunderstand I am not playing OS comparisons simply your definition of bloatware differs to mine. I see options customisations and preferences.

Your premise is also that Imessage is enviable and should be mimicked or bettered where I see it as stinted and closed shop

I don't use facebook period I was simply noting in the distribution on messaging apps it appeared more popular in the US than Imessages

Being seamless may well be nice in the counties with high amount of users that have data packages etc but other countries with users that rely more on free WiFi it's pointless that the app sends it via sms/mms when data or wifi is not available as it miss's the whole objective of that user group to avoid costs and what they may consider costly monthly charges.

There's good reason why these msg apps are popular there free , work across platform and can be used completely in a free of charge mode including calls.

I agreed Samsung would have nothing to loose by developing an integrated app

If you recall Blackberry messenger was very popular in UK as you could have limitless txt messages and avoid costs where the US at the time was not so txt popular mainly due to bundled packages on free minutes etc

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Your premise is also that Imessage is enviable and should be mimicked or bettered where I see it as stinted and closed shop

Wrong :)
My premise is that Samsung or Google need to create a non restricted app that would work on any Android phone, and even iPhone. Read up once more what I wrote :)

And I don't think that iMessage is enviable. I was just stating the fact that iMessage is heavily used in the US. I live in EU, and in my country iPhone is not a popular device, so neither is iMessage :)

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Wrong :)
My premise is that Samsung or Google need to create a non restricted app that would work on any Android phone, and even iPhone. Read up once more what I wrote :)

And I don't think that iMessage is enviable. I was just stating the fact that iMessage is heavily used in the US. I live in EU, and in my country iPhone is not a popular device, so neither is iMessage :)
Thanks for the clarification, I did read your message and am not going to play games on wording etc as it's pointless

As I said Samsung have nothing to loose but likewise little to gain IMO other than giving users even more choices :)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
And also hire coders who have at least basic understanding of secure development. Tizen as it stands is a security nightmare and it's troubling that many issues are in the code written in the last two years. The S3 is enticing otherwise, but knowing the state of its software, I can't bring myself to use one.

Maybe I'm being naive but as the Gear S3 is wholly dependent on being connected to my S8, the security issues of Tizen don't worry me so much.

I sure as hell wouldn't get a Tizen phone but my Gear S3 is a pretty, glorified second screen to display notifications (and the time!).

In general the software is improving in looks/usability but yeah, Samsung need to sort Tizen out on the back end. There are too many half-measures.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I am incredibly satisfied with my Gear S3. Fantastic smartwatch.

I thought it would feel huge on the wrist, but now the Apple watch feels dainty in comparison.[/QUOTE
A good case will direct your finger to the FPS without much fumbling ( after a day or two )

Since I use mine with the Gear S3, I have the Gear set as a trusted device wherein my S8+ automatically unlocks w/o requiring any security input from me. When (which is rare as I even shower and sleep with Gear on lol.. ) I don't have the Gear S3 on my wrist, ( and if I'm in a location that isn't added as a trusted device/location for unlock ) the device reverts back to requiring some input ( FPS, Iris, Pin/Pattern, Face ) for unlock.

So, I don't really use the FPS much at all! The Iris scanner works amazingly well !
[doublepost=1494796221][/doublepost]

I saw you stated that the S3 is quite large for your liking/wrists, but if you can wing it.. the Gear S3 ( maybe the S2 too ) is an amazing companion with any Android, especially a Sammy device.

I use it with my S8+/Note 5, and my iP7+ (albeit, with limited functionality, as mentioned already) and really hope Samsung updates the watch for further use, more-so for iOS. However, it works with both OSes, so for that alone I sold my Series 2 SS!

I started with using my S8+ as a secondary device for the first 3..4 days, and hence switched to it being the primary. The iPhone now has been relegated to the backseat. Other than using it as a media player in my car, I haven't bothered ( or felt the urge to ) switch back to the iPhone anymore.

The S8 surpasses the iP7 in every useful way, imo and in my use case. I'm just struggling to find a way to DRM-free my iTunes movie purchases!
[doublepost=1494796456][/doublepost]

Never been a huge fan of Tasker ( been playing with it on and off since Note 3, iirc ) as it's always been a hit or miss. Same for IFTTT.
User error indeed, but in reality it's a fine line. You'll be surprised how many people of all ages can't figure out how to shut iMessage off, unless the iPhone had a giant dedicated hard button to do so.

This 100%. The fact that it's so troublesome/user unfriendly to deregoster iMessage is atrocious. And even when u unregistered there are still issues with group messaging unless all parties delete all threads all all xOS devices. It's ridiculous.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Allo still has a chance. Google is still actively working on it. I can't see Google working on another messenger, being that the Allo UI is near perfection.

The UI is great, but until it replaces messages as the default SMS/internet messaging solution and possibly unifies with other instant messaging applications (in a similar way to BlackBerry hub aggregates other applications messages together in one place and allows you to respond / reply directly from the BB hub) I just can't see it gaining traction.

The fact even Facebook Messenger allows you to also merge it with SMS (and allow it to be the default SMS application) and yet Allo doesn't screams of a missed opportunity from Google.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
The UI is great, but until it replaces messages as the default SMS/internet messaging solution and possibly unifies with other instant messaging applications (in a similar way to BlackBerry hub aggregates other applications messages together in one place and allows you to respond / reply directly from the BB hub) I just can't see it gaining traction.

The fact even Facebook Messenger allows you to also merge it with SMS (and allow it to be the default SMS application) and yet Allo doesn't screams of a missed opportunity from Google.

People keep clamoring for an Android answer to iMessage. I don't think there will ever be one. There's too much fragmentation (OH NOT THAT WORD!) between the OEM's, who are constantly (and with good reason) trying to differentiate themselves from each other. For instance, can any of you realistically see Sammy playing ball with an Android-specific-device-agnostic messaging app? I can't.

Google has also made it pretty clear they're not interested in that game. No idea what the thinking was behind Allo. Probably yet another in a billion proof of concept apps Google floats out there.

Reactions: MRU

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
People keep clamoring for an Android answer to iMessage. I don't think there will ever be one. There's too much fragmentation (OH NOT THAT WORD!) between the OEM's, who are constantly (and with good reason) trying to differentiate themselves from each other. For instance, can any of you realistically see Sammy playing ball with an Android-specific-device-agnostic messaging app? I can't.

Google has also made it pretty clear they're not interested in that game. No idea what the thinking was behind Allo. Probably yet another in a billion proof of concept apps Google floats out there.

You do forget one 'small' thing. If google decides to make that app and include it into EVERY android, OEM's will have to play ball. Why do you think that every android comes with play store, chrome, photos and some other google apps?

Google demands it. Otherwise, there will be no google services on that phone, and that means no play store. Even Samsung without gmail and play store would fail, not to mention others like HTC, LG and Sony.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.