Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Argh. Been avoiding this thread, trying to resist getting the S8 and wait until Note 8 and get 2 for one deal then. But today my wife completely cracked her screen on her iPhone 7Plus, no apple care. She has her eyes set on my S7, so now I'm I'm reseting my S7 to give to her. I'm using my Note 5, but the screen has 1 hairline crack that goes from one end to the other and bothers me when I notice it.

So now the temptation to get the S8 is at an all time high, I can get it with no down payment and $25 a month and free wireless charger. Someone please talk me down, no need to get myself into a payment plan, but don't have a suitable small android phone at the moment.

Well you can spend $149 to fix your wife's screen at Apple or $25/month for 30 months or whatever. One option is a bit cheaper. :D

Reactions: Fernandez21 and MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Argh. Been avoiding this thread, trying to resist getting the S8 and wait until Note 8 and get 2 for one deal then. But today my wife completely cracked her screen on her iPhone 7Plus, no apple care. She has her eyes set on my S7, so now I'm I'm reseting my S7 to give to her. I'm using my Note 5, but the screen has 1 hairline crack that goes from one end to the other and bothers me when I notice it.

So now the temptation to get the S8 is at an all time high, I can get it with no down payment and $25 a month and free wireless charger. Someone please talk me down, no need to get myself into a payment plan, but don't have a suitable small android phone at the moment.

I gotta tell ya, I can't wait to receive my S8. I have the unlocked model on pre-order.

I'm ready for the future. :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
No you won't. Unlocked version from Samsung gets fewer updates than the carrier models :(

Samsung has promised this year to keep up with security updates. We'll see what happens -- I'll believe it myself when I actually see it!

But even if not, to me, updates are a low priority. I always welcome timely security patches and software updates, but it's not a make it or break it decision for me. Common sense takes care of security, and Android software this day and age is so feature-rich, stable, and fast, that I really don't worry about the next iteration of Android.

I rather have the day-to-day advantages of the S8.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

If are waiting for one of us to say
"hey don't get a new phone" you've definitely come to the wrong place! :)

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California

Just wait for the Note 8 and the iPhone 8. Everyone here is going to get one of the two or both anyway. Lol

Reactions: Fernandez21

cjlee

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
For average people not techies, I think Android can be confusing. For example there are two messages apps, two email apps, two browsers, etc. Plus bloatware that people wont know to delete or deactivate.

So It can become overwhelming compared to IOS where its straightforward.
They have an alternative, get a Pixel

Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
PSA:

This is the best wireless charger, and it's on sale at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tylt-vu...D=1&siteID=NKa3hZyYoHA-NHSOcE8B847O6XYk5PiwnQ

Different colors have different prices.

TYLT - VU Wireless Charger

7551102_sd.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Samsung Pay has been announced today in the UK!
Not many banks yet but it's a start!
Unfortunately, the UK version is also missing some key features that are on offer in other markets.
“For the UK launch, we’re going to focus on NFC and then we’ll look for opportunities to bring MST later on,” Kyle Brown, Samsung’s head of technology, content and launch management for the UK and Ireland!

Reactions: SteveJUAE

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Samsung Pay has been announced today in the UK!
Not many banks yet but it's a start!
Unfortunately, the UK version is also missing some key features that are on offer in other markets.
“For the UK launch, we’re going to focus on NFC and then we’ll look for opportunities to bring MST later on,” Kyle Brown, Samsung’s head of technology, content and launch management for the UK and Ireland!
And yet no Ireland release or proposed release date ...

Mind we only recently had Apple Pay & Android Pay launch here and only the smallest bank (an insignificant player) is supporting them. The main banks AIB & BOI do not support any.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
So whats the main reason for the Exynos omission for the US, modem issues?

I believe so. In order to include the CDMA carriers (verizon, sprint), they have to use the snapdragon as it can operate on those frequencies. But this is what I recall from reading stuff online, I could be wrong.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Do.It.!
Just.Buy.The.S8

:p

I gotta tell ya, I can't wait to receive my S8. I have the unlocked model on pre-order.

I'm ready for the future. :)

If are waiting for one of us to say
"hey don't get a new phone" you've definitely come to the wrong place! :)

Haha right? Almost a month in, I'm still Gaga over this phone.

You had ONE job. ........ sigh
77b02ae87f31af85d5a9ac3083062655.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.