Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
So everyone with the S8+, are you overall very happy and satisfied with the phone ? Do you plan on keeping it long term ?

My two main concern or questions;

- Battery life ? As good or better than the iPhone 7 Plus ?

- Smoothness of OS ? Is the old Touchwiz lag gone, and is this phone smooth like a Nexus ?

I absolutely love the phone. Still have a soft spot for my iPhone but damn I've missed Android. Just so many cool features that I can do that you can only do on a jailbroken iOS device. Battery life seems to be pretty comparable to my iPhone 7+. And the device is smooth. As smooth as my iPhone. So far I haven't noticed any slow downs or stuttering or anything like that

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I absolutely love the phone. Still have a soft spot for my iPhone but damn I've missed Android. Just so many cool features that I can do that you can only do on a jailbroken iOS device. Battery life seems to be pretty comparable to my iPhone 7+. And the device is smooth. As smooth as my iPhone. So far I haven't noticed any slow downs or stuttering or anything like that

Your post could also be mine. Agree with you for a full 100%. In the past I jailbroke a lot of my iPhones. Now with Android there's no need anymore.
Every day with my S8 I am amazed what the possiblities are with this device :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JayIsAwesome

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
No, no, I don't think adding RAM is going to make the overall OS faster. If that was the case, the 3T would be faster than the Pixel and S8. It isn't hardware that's making the iPhone feel slow, it's software.

I'm sorry do shock you, but OP3T is faster then the S8, and even Pixel. Even though 3T and pixel are the same in basic speed, 3T has way more apps in memory, so no refresh needed when multitasking. That counts in speed as well, at least to me. S8 is a great phone, plan to buy one, and it will be my first samsung since Note 3, but as far as speed goes, S8 and 3T are not in the same league :)

P.S.
Yes, I do own 3T. And yes, I have had a chance to play with S8 for 2 days. That is the reason I've decided to purchase an S8.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Just wanted to point out another excellent little feature of the S8.

It was always a pet hate of mine that the volume buttons would pop up with the entire list of options for volume - Ring tone, Notifications, System and Media.

9 times out 10, I would want to adjust Media and leave the others.

On the S8, it asked me at the beginning if I wanted to keep the volume buttons for Media only and it has genuinely made life a LOT easier.

Great little touch, honestly.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

It was always a pet hate of mine that the volume buttons would pop up with the entire list of options for volume - Ring tone, Notifications, System and Media.

On the S8, it asked me at the beginning if I wanted to keep the volume buttons for Media only and it has genuinely made life a LOT easier.

Ha, how weird. That's the one thing I love with Android. One touch of the volume button (it is not a 'rocker' :p ) and it lets me adjust all volumes.
If only iOS did that!

I like having them all at one press. :)

Reactions: Tsepz

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Ha, how weird. That's the one thing I love with Android. One touch of the volume button (it is not a 'rocker' :p ) and it lets me adjust all volumes.
If only iOS did that!

I like having them all at one press. :)

:D

That's the great thing, it gives you the option... And that drop down arrow is still there at the top! Or you can keep things as normal.

I love it, stuff like that makes a difference to daily usage, very thoughtful from Samsung.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

That's the great thing, it gives you the option... And that drop down arrow is still there at the top! Or you can keep things as normal.

I love it, stuff like that makes a difference to daily usage, very thoughtful from Samsung.

Exactly. Just the very fact that the option is there is one benefit of Android over iOS.
There is nothing worse than starting to play a video on iPhone, to hammer the volume up button only for it to change your ringer volume before it realises its actually media volume... Winds me up no end.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I'm struggling. S8+ or iPhone 7+ with SB AW Link.

I have the latter and the S8+ but cannot decide what to do. There's no point keeping the AW if I keep the S8+

Or do I just get the Samsung Tab S3?!?!!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The 7+ is a brick sized phone. No headphone jack either.

I'm definitely happy the s8 keeps the headphone jack. Considering you can have both a jack and Bluetooth, there's no reason to rush this "courageous feature."

The s8 squeezes so much into such a small package. I don't fully understand how Apple couldn't find room for a headphone jack.

[doublepost=1494595535][/doublepost]

Nice.

I've said for the longest time, customization is more than just aesthetics. It's functional too.

When smartphones are used by millions of different people, on a daily basis, multiple times a day, customization goes a long way.

Last edited:

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013

Interesting. Are you able to find this option in settings, or is it only available during setup?

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I'm definitely happy the s8 keeps the headphone jack. Considering you can have both a jack and Bluetooth, there's no reason to rush this "courageous feature."

The s8 squeezes so much into such a small package. I don't fully understand how Apple couldn't find room for a headphone jack.

[doublepost=1494595535][/doublepost]

Nice.

I've said for the longest time, customization is more than just aesthetics. It's functional too.

When smartphones are used by millions of different people, on a daily basis, multiple times a day, customization goes a long way.

Also the waterproofing excuse does not fly since the S8 has even higher water resistance rating..

To me it seems like apple just wants more proprietary.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
So everyone with the S8+, are you overall very happy and satisfied with the phone ? Do you plan on keeping it long term ?

My two main concern or questions;

- Battery life ? As good or better than the iPhone 7 Plus ?

- Smoothness of OS ? Is the old Touchwiz lag gone, and is this phone smooth like a Nexus ?

The S8+ is the best smartphone I have ever owned. Is it fast? Very. Is it the fastest phone you can buy right now? Probably not. Does it have the most beautiful design ever made for a phone? IMHO yes. The screen is amazing and the software (Samsung Experience) is getting pretty darn good compared to older versions of TouchWiz. I have easily gotten 6-7 hours screen on time with a few adjustments and it'll easily last a day with quite a bit of use. There isn't a lot not to like about this phone. A huge screen in a very manageable size. I'm very satisfied. I liked it enough to pair a Gear S3 Frontier with it and together they make a very nice combination. Apple should take note because Samsung is getting VERY serious about this smartphone stuff.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
The S8+ is the best smartphone I have ever owned. Is it fast? Very. Is it the fastest phone you can buy right now? Probably not. Does it have the most beautiful design ever made for a phone? IMHO yes. The screen is amazing and the software (Samsung Experience) is getting pretty darn good compared to older versions of TouchWiz. I have easily gotten 6-7 hours screen on time with a few adjustments and it'll easily last a day with quite a bit of use. There isn't a lot not to like about this phone. A huge screen in a very manageable size. I'm very satisfied. I liked it enough to pair a Gear S3 Frontier with it and together they make a very nice combination. Apple should take note because Samsung is getting VERY serious about this smartphone stuff.
Is there quick reply built in? For example if I am on the lock screen and some texts me, can I reply from the lock screen?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm sorry do shock you, but OP3T is faster then the S8, and even Pixel. Even though 3T and pixel are the same in basic speed, 3T has way more apps in memory, so no refresh needed when multitasking. That counts in speed as well, at least to me. S8 is a great phone, plan to buy one, and it will be my first samsung since Note 3, but as far as speed goes, S8 and 3T are not in the same league :)

P.S.
Yes, I do own 3T. And yes, I have had a chance to play with S8 for 2 days. That is the reason I've decided to purchase an S8.

I'm talking about speed of UI, apps, and system functions. I don't count more apps in memory, which I mentioned in my post, as speed.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Also the waterproofing excuse does not fly since the S8 has even higher water resistance rating..

To me it seems like apple just wants more proprietary.

perhaps, but I do honestly think it was to save space from the audio jack and to have room for the taptic engine, that honestly, feels great on the iPhone 7 and one of nice "subtle but awesome" features I miss from my iPhone

Looking at the iPhone 6s tear down photos (1, 2), you can see the large space the headphone jack takes up. Comparing that to the iPhone 7 (1, 2), the taptic engine now has room at the bottom of the phone and they didn't have to take away battery space to do it.

for me, the headphone jack is a moot point. I use bluetooth for everything. I appreciate it in my GS8 I suppose but haven't really used it ;)

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
perhaps, but I do honestly think it was to save space from the audio jack and to have room for the taptic engine, that honestly, feels great on the iPhone 7 and one of nice "subtle but awesome" features I miss from my iPhone

Looking at the iPhone 6s tear down photos (1, 2), you can see the large space the headphone jack takes up. Comparing that to the iPhone 7 (1, 2), the taptic engine now has room at the bottom of the phone and they didn't have to take away battery space to do it.

for me, the headphone jack is a moot point. I use bluetooth for everything. I appreciate it in my GS8 I suppose but haven't really used it ;)
Good point, I totally forgot about the taptic engine. I turn off the subtle taps, they are annoying, for me at least.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Is there quick reply built in? For example if I am on the lock screen and some texts me, can I reply from the lock screen?
Yes, I can do in line replies from the notification shade and if I'm on my lock screen and select reply, it does a security check with my eyeballs/pattern/fingerprint/etc then you can reply from the lock screen.

Reactions: DakotaGuy

Kiezpirat80

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Germany
After 2 weeks with S8 and S8+ i am back on S7 Edge.

Must be something wrong with me but i think the S7 Edge is a better device for me.

- Wide Angle Front Cam
- Fingerprint Sensor on the Front
- 3600 mAh Battery
- Fast Charge is quicker on S7 Edge
- Exynos S7 Edge very similar in Perfomance
- No Bixby Button
- Perfect Display, no need to adjust white balance for pinkish and greenish edges
- True 16:9 Display, no cropped videos or big black bars on youtube videos
- Payed 350€ for a new S7 Edge, less than the half of a S8
- Software with Android 7.0 is nearly the same

Waiting for Note 8 now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.