Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Anyone know what this little lightning icon is?
f00bf01307bcba16b39f4a3379c85617.jpg

GS5_-_Enable_Download_Booster.png

Reactions: HiDEF

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
just received my next ultra thin minimalistic case.... finally a winner;

the Ringke Slim

Its like the Spigen Thin Fit but thinner and a very nice grip. Tight around the phone. A very tiny lip, just enough so you can put the down glass-size
€14,95 incl shipping

This will def. be a keeper for me

Last edited:

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
It's not a "grippy" case, but I've never felt like the phone is going to slip out of my hand nor do I feel like I have to take extra care when handling the phone

I got this case after being recommended in this thread and its not for me. Makes the phone more slippery than when naked and it catches a ton of dust and lint at the top lip and afraid of future scratches from it.

It's not for me but it is very minimal and not a fan of the material used but YMMV.

I am back to the drawing board as I walk naked right now.
[doublepost=1494519945][/doublepost]
Ahhhhhhhh im still over here having first world problems choosing between my 7 Plus and S8 Plus as my daily lol...

In this debate as well as I have 7 more days. I opened up a new line and my bill will be going up but I am having zero luck in selling my 7+ which I thought would be easier to offset the cost.

Not happening and as much as I love the S8+ I may be going back.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
So everyone with the S8+, are you overall very happy and satisfied with the phone ? Do you plan on keeping it long term ?

My two main concern or questions;

- Battery life ? As good or better than the iPhone 7 Plus ?

- Smoothness of OS ? Is the old Touchwiz lag gone, and is this phone smooth like a Nexus ?

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
just received my next ultra thin minimalistic case.... finally a winner;

the Ringke Slim

Its like the Spigen Thin Fit but thinner and a very nice grip. Tight around the phone. A very tiny lip, just enough so you can put the down glass-size
€14,95 incl shipping

This will def. be a keeper for me

Been buying Ringke Slim for a few years now. Always my go to case for any phone I have that they make it for.

Reactions: Geert76

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
So everyone with the S8+, are you overall very happy and satisfied with the phone ? Do you plan on keeping it long term ?

- Smoothness of OS ? Is the old Touchwiz lag gone, and is this phone smooth like a Nexus ?

Hey man, I feel like you keep asking these things every couple of pages. You will get responses going both ways as you've already seen. I say just buy one for yourself and see how YOU like it, and if not, just return it.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
guys (and ladies), question;

I have to bring back my S8 tomorrow and I will get a new one, cause my screen has a (very) small opening in the bottom left corner. And I am concerned that this could cause more damage and other things.

What would be the ultimate back up plan in order to get a 1:1 copy back tomorrow on my new S8?

Samsung Cloud or SmartSwitch.

I read that app-settings will not be backed up at all (like in iCloud).
Is this true?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
guys (and ladies), question;

I have to bring back my S8 tomorrow and I will get a new one, cause my screen has a (very) small opening in the bottom left corner. And I am concerned that this could cause more damage and other things.

What would be the ultimate back up plan in order to get a 1:1 copy back tomorrow on my new S8?

Samsung Cloud or SmartSwitch.

I read that app-settings will not be backed up at all (like in iCloud).
Is this true?

I haven't tried Samsung Cloud, but SmartSwitch (via my Mac) is pretty awesome. I recommend it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

On screen battery life is just as good, sometimes better. The iPhone 7 Plus does have better stand-by life, but not by much. Probably will only notice a good difference in stand-by life between the two if you keep it off the charger for several plus days.

Haven't noticed no lag or stutters yet. Everything runs fast and smooth. But when I played with the Pixel, it's noticeable faster. So I wouldn't say it's going to be the fastest experience out. It does feel faster than the iPhone 7+, due to the animations of iOS10.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
great, thanks! When using SmartSwitch did it backup your app settings as well?

It seemed like it did for some apps but some I still had to login, etc. But I don't really have any apps that I need to retain the in-app info (other than logins) as everything seems server side synced. YMMV

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
On screen battery life is just as good, sometimes better. The iPhone 7 Plus does have better stand-by life, but not by much. Probably will only notice a good difference in stand-by life between the two if you keep it off the charger for several plus days.

Haven't noticed no lag or stutters yet. Everything runs fast and smooth. But when I played with the Pixel, it's noticeable faster. So I wouldn't say it's going to be the fastest experience out. It does feel faster than the iPhone 7+, due to the animations of iOS10.

I appreciate the reply. Thx.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

This is why I don't understand when people say iOS is the fastest. Not only do the animations slow things down, but because you're hunting for the correct button to go back, navigating is slower, too. Without gesture-typing, typing is slower. There are so many things that make using an iPhone feel slower.

I think the Pixel is easily faster feeling than an iPhone.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
This is why I don't understand when people say iOS is the fastest. Not only do the animations slow things down, but because you're hunting for the correct button to go back, navigating is slower, too. Without gesture-typing, typing is slower. There are so many things that make using an iPhone feel slower.

I think the Pixel is easily faster feeling than an iPhone.

That's what gets me. The iPhone has such a powerful processor, industry leading even, just to be held back by software.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
That's what gets me. The iPhone has such a powerful processor, industry leading even, just to be held back by software.

And hardware too considering it has at most half the RAM of the OnePlus 3T. The 7+ is a brick sized phone. No headphone jack either.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
And hardware too considering it has at most half the RAM of the OnePlus 3T. The 7+ is a brick sized phone. No headphone jack either.

No, no, I don't think adding RAM is going to make the overall OS faster. If that was the case, the 3T would be faster than the Pixel and S8. It isn't hardware that's making the iPhone feel slow, it's software.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
No, no, I don't think adding RAM is going to make the overall OS faster. If that was the case, the 3T would be faster than the Pixel and S8. It isn't hardware that's making the iPhone feel slow, it's software.

Software + hardware have to work in conjunction though. Extra RAM can help for a sloppy OS. That's what Android did in the beginning while iOS smoothly shined on 512 mb to 1gb RAM from the 5 and the 5S.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Software + hardware have to work in conjunction though. Extra RAM can help for a sloppy OS. That's what Android did in the beginning while iOS smoothly shined on 512 mb to 1gb RAM from the 5 and the 5S.

Once you hit a certain RAM amount, it isn't going to help with speed. We have passed that amount a long time ago on Android and very recently on iOS. Throwing 6gb of RAM into the iPhone won't make it faster, only help more apps stay in RAM.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I got this case after being recommended in this thread and its not for me. Makes the phone more slippery than when naked and it catches a ton of dust and lint at the top lip and afraid of future scratches from it.

It's not for me but it is very minimal and not a fan of the material used but YMMV.

I am back to the drawing board as I walk naked right now.
[doublepost=1494519945][/doublepost]

In this debate as well as I have 7 more days. I opened up a new line and my bill will be going up but I am having zero luck in selling my 7+ which I thought would be easier to offset the cost.

Not happening and as much as I love the S8+ I may be going back.
I actually find the case very grippy and it blends in perfectly. I sometimes forget I have a case on. The only thing I'm not sure if is the potential scratches from dust. A bit worried about that.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I actually find the case very grippy and it blends in perfectly. I sometimes forget I have a case on. The only thing I'm not sure if is the potential scratches from dust. A bit worried about that.

Yea for me near the top it was a dust and lint receptacle and worried about scratches as well as the slippery feeling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.