Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I don't use any phone until it has a screen protector and case. Don't care how awesome any company claims their glass is, it will scratch under the right (wrong?) conditions.

Unfortunately 98% off all screenprotectors for the S8/S8+ are just 110% crap. I have read only bad reviews about several screenprotectors. The internet is full of it. Probally due to the edges of the phone.
A lot of people already spend like 40 or 50 bucks on screenprotectors which they threw in the bin haha

There is one, also mentioned here earlier in this topic. Will cost you about $50/60, its a liquid glas thingy with UV. It gets some good reviews but its qiuit a tough job to apply

Reactions: M5RahuL and MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I don't think it matters where you bought the phone from. I purchased mine directly from AT&T and was able to submit through the My Samsung and Shop Samsung App directly on the phone. I'd imagine it's not any different for the unlocked phones.

In fact when you're submitting the form for the kit, they ask you where you purchased from (drop down list). I chose AT&T and I'm pretty sure BestBuy is on that list.

Oh sweet. Even better.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wow. The screen is like butter! I only had in my pocket this morning and I have scratches at the top of the screen!

You WILL need a screen protector!

I haven't got screen protector on mine and there isn't a single mark on the screen - all I have on is a Samsung clear cover case.

When I first got it, I bought a full cover screen protector that lasted about 30 seconds (it looked like absolute garbage as it only held on at the top and bottom due to the shape: A fault which is very common on these screen protectors I believe)

Personally, I'd rather take the risk of a few scratches on the screen than put up with something that completely ruins the aesthetics of the phone

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I ran my S7E as daily driver completely naked for many months. No noticeable scratches on the screen. Plan the same for the s8.

I buy a smartphone pouch for when the going gets rough (like if I throw it into a gym bag or hiking bag).

Reactions: MRU

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I didn't put a screen protector on my iPhone 7 plus, pixel xl, and I don't have one on my galaxy s8+. The screen tech is outpacing third party screen protectors, in that the design is becoming more and more difficult to adapt to. Lucky, the screens keep getting more and more scratch resistant.

I don't remember the last time I had a scratch on my screen, you just have to be smart with the phone. Don't put it in your pocket with keys or anything remotely hard. Don't put it loose in a bag or purse. Don't put it face down on concrete, or any surface unless you're sure it won't scratch.

Having a case that provides a small lip, on the top and bottom in the case of this phone, goes a long way in preventing scratches, and allows you to put your phone face down.

Now micro scratches are a part of the reality of having a glass screen with an oleophobic coating. If you can't feel the scratch, 99% of the time it is just in the oleophobic coating of the screen. Micro scratches are typically invisible 99% of the time. If you hold your phone at in angle under a fluorescent light, you might be able to spot them. If you have your phone in the sun, you might see them with the screen off, assuming they are not covered by fingerprints. Micro scratches should largely be a non-issue unless you are super OCD about it (I used to be that way).

There is always the chance you might scratch your phone, but if you don't put it in the situation where a scratch is likely, then you should be fine. Accidents happen, and that is why I always get a thin case, but if you are a person who can't help but through your phone in a box with screws....then investing in a screen protector is the way to go, I guess.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I ran my S7E as daily driver completely naked for many months. No noticeable scratches on the screen. Plan the same for the s8.

I buy a smartphone pouch for when the going gets rough (like if I throw it into a gym bag or hiking bag).

It's all bad or good luck. The right type of sedimate will Jack your screen, end eh story.

I use a thin spigen case and HD zagg. No complaints and no scratches.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I didn't put a screen protector on my iPhone 7 plus, pixel xl, and I don't have one on my galaxy s8+. The screen tech is outpacing third party screen protectors, in that the design is becoming more and more difficult to adapt to. Lucky, the screens keep getting more and more scratch resistant.

I don't remember the last time I had a scratch on my screen, you just have to be smart with the phone. Don't put it in your pocket with keys or anything remotely hard. Don't put it loose in a bag or purse. Don't put it face down on concrete, or any surface unless you're sure it won't scratch.

Having a case that provides a small lip, on the top and bottom in the case of this phone, goes a long way in preventing scratches, and allows you to put your phone face down.

Now micro scratches are a part of the reality of having a glass screen with an oleophobic coating. If you can't feel the scratch, 99% of the time it is just in the oleophobic coating of the screen. Micro scratches are typically invisible 99% of the time. If you hold your phone at in angle under a fluorescent light, you might be able to spot them. If you have your phone in the sun, you might see them with the screen off, assuming they are not covered by fingerprints. Micro scratches should largely be a non-issue unless you are super OCD about it (I used to be that way).

There is always the chance you might scratch your phone, but if you don't put it in the situation where a scratch is likely, then you should be fine. Accidents happen, and that is why I always get a thin case, but if you are a person who can't help but through your phone in a box with screws....then investing in a screen protector is the way to go, I guess.
Pretty much the same here. I have a couple of very small micro scratches so far but nothing that you can really see unless you shine a light directly on it. The only phone that I really scratched up bad was the iPhone 7 plus jet black edition because that was just a scratch magnet.

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
I have to say in the 2 days I've used the S8+, my feelings on Samsung Galaxy devices have changed completely. This is not the Samsung TW-days that I remember, and it has made me realized just how much I was missing when I was using my iP7+. Before my iP7+ I was using the Pixel XL as my primary, and I have to say I do not see any discernible difference regarding to lag, jank, w/e you want to call it. There are some extra features that Samsung has included in their new UI that I just absolutely love (AdaptSound) and so far my experience has been extremely smooth.

Time will tell as I use it as my daily in the coming months, so I'm hoping performance wise the phone was remain as snappy as it is today. I was afraid going in that I would have to deal with the red/pink screen issue, but I was glad when I unboxed my S8+ that the screen was pure white and even, without any hints of the pink tint. I was extremely happy about that. No weird Bluetooth or Wifi issues either, everything just synced up nicely at home and in my car.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
l

Personally, I'd rather take the risk of a few scratches on the screen than put up with something that completely ruins the aesthetics of the phone

For many however the merest scratch on their screen would ruin any of those good aesthetics too. At least with a screen protector you can peel it off, with a scratched screen your stuck with it and just knocked $100-150 off the resale value in the process.

I know for my lifestyle being exposed to sand and grit most of the time - without screen protectors my devices would look like poop very quickly no matter if I babied them.

Reactions: epicrayban

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I just received the Samsung Alcantara case today. Not too bulky. It feels really really nice in your hand. You will get good grip with this case.

The material feels like suede. The part on the back where the sensors are located is well designed! Also, very good for locating the fingerprint scanner.

I would say this case is the most beautiful case, compared to all the fugly Spigen condoms and tanks. This Alcantara is quit expensive, but well worth it. You got some real ''artcraft'' in your hand.
You pay for the quality of this not too bulky case, compared to the fugly condoms and tanks of Spigen. ( Ihave about 4 of them here at home in my drawer, dont fancy any of these cases).

Again, for me this THE perfect combo of minimalism, some scratch protection but most of all, desgin/material wise. I spend the last, like 10 days, searching for the ultimate minimalistic case with a nice design

Like Flossy mentioned in his review: A big go on this case! ;)

Flossy Carter's review of the Samsung Alcantara;

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
[QUOTE="Geert76, post: 24566900, member: 879142"

[/QUOTE]

Daaang, that is one nice case. Samsung is even killing it in the premium design language with their cases. Makes sense. Why would anyone put an ugly case on a beautiful premium designed device?

Reactions: Geert76

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
[QUOTE="Geert76, post: 24566900, member: 879142"

Daaang, that is one nice case. Samsung is even killing it in the premium design language with their cases. Makes sense. Why would anyone put an ugly case on a beautiful premium designed device?[/QUOTE]
You must have missed this jewel..
ap_resize.php

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
IIRC, you're a T-Mobile customer, correct? And I thought I'd read that the T-Mobile varients are pretty light on the carrier bloatware.

Considering the unlocked galaxy S7 just started getting Nougat yesterday :eek:, well after the carrier variants (still don't get how this happens), what's the appeal of the unlocked version? Are the promo offers better?

I think you may need to note this is the US unlocked version of the S7 internationals got Nougat long ago :)
[doublepost=1494443874][/doublepost]
I wouldn't spend $90 on that new 'sliding' charger. It's way overpriced, and the quality is ..meh..

Here's a genuine oem, but in white.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Sam...193865?hash=item2a81da4d09:g:dOYAAOSwAPVZEeSu

$25 + $3 (shipping) and a 100% positive rating (400+ feedback)
You can get DeX for not much more

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Daaang, that is one nice case. Samsung is even killing it in the premium design language with their cases. Makes sense. Why would anyone put an ugly case on a beautiful premium designed device?
ap_resize.php
[/QUOTE]

Lol, come on now, someone somewhere may be just dying to slap one of those things on their phone.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I don't use any phone until it has a screen protector and case. Don't care how awesome any company claims their glass is, it will scratch under the right (wrong?) conditions.
All that grit and stuff inside your pockets is worse than a knife. Thats why those scratch tests are so pointless.

Reactions: Geert76

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Samsung Pay only been here for a couple of weeks in the UAE and I finally got around to trying it today as I have only been using the little shops near my hotel

Now I don't know if it's how it's been implemented here in UAE by the banks and nothing to do with Samsung but there was absolutely 0 benefit (other than having to have a physical card in your wallet) to using it

Sure firing it up and tapping no issue, but then the cashier wanted the 4 digit code on the pay screen and then I still had to sign the printed receipt :rolleyes: and this was on a <$10 payment

It's just faster to stick my card in the reader slot and type my 6 digit security code

My UK card has wireless pay and that was even easier to use just tap the card and enter 6 digit code

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
This just amazes me. My battery life is getting better and better. I've never pulled a whole hour within the first 10% on an Android phone, specifically Samsung.
ca62e1c967d6d8865dd6adb4433571f4.jpg

Reactions: Cryates and M5RahuL

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I just received the Samsung Alcantara case today. Not too bulky. It feels really really nice in your hand. You will get good grip with this case.

The material feels like suede. The part on the back where the sensors are located is well designed! Also, very good for locating the fingerprint scanner.

I would say this case is the most beautiful case, compared to all the fugly Spigen condoms and tanks. This Alcantara is quit expensive, but well worth it. You got some real ''artcraft'' in your hand.
You pay for the quality of this not too bulky case, compared to the fugly condoms and tanks of Spigen. ( Ihave about 4 of them here at home in my drawer, dont fancy any of these cases).

Again, for me this THE perfect combo of minimalism, some scratch protection but most of all, desgin/material wise. I spend the last, like 10 days, searching for the ultimate minimalistic case with a nice design

Like Flossy mentioned in his review: A big go on this case! ;)

Oh cool you got yours too!! Yeah it's an AWESOME case. Love it. Feels so good in hand.

As for everyone talking about scratches.... That's only half the story. If you drop you phone and the screens CRACKS.... I dunno, for me that's a risk simply not worth taking.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
ap_resize.php

Lol, come on now, someone somewhere may be just dying to slap one of those things on their phone.[/QUOTE]

My S8+ would commit suicide!!
[doublepost=1494449434][/doublepost]Loving the device, but Sam Pay is being crazy.. Been trying to use it with PIN and it freezes up (the screen to enter PIN doesn't pop up at all) .. Made me feel like an idiot with 8 people behind me at check out! .. Well, saved by the Gear S3 as I didn't bother taking my wallet inside!

Reactions: jamezr and Geert76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.