Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Anyone pre-ordering the unlocked S8 with Best Buy today? I'm thinking of going over at lunch..

But OnePlus 5 is also on my radar....

I was going to, but a delivery date of 5/30 or 5/31 is a deal breaker. Too long of a wait, especially when I already had to wait so long to get the S8 originally from pre-order. I just got another Verizon variant yesterday at Best Buy. I think the lack of updates on the unlocked model is still scaring me away. I do hope they prove me wrong this go around, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
something totally different.... ;)

Are there people here using the apps MacroDroid and/or Tasker?
I like the idea to have certain actions when for example I leave my home or arrive at home.

What I allready set up with MacroDroid is that all my apps stay in portrait mode except apps like YouTube which are allowed to use in landscape mode.
Also, the led indicator will be turned off after 1030PM once I put it on the wireless charger next to my bed.

Do you have any (productive) macro's set up with Tasker or MacroDroid? Please share! tnx

Tasker fan here. Use it for lots of stuff.
- change wallpaper every few minutes (only when phone awake to save battery)
- auto send SMS when my car near pickup point (use cell location).
- tap for timed duration ringer silence.
- auto silence (+other settings) during appointment (calendar)
- activate call recording when receive calls from certain numbers.
- auto activate certain apps/settings when phone tap on NFC stickers

and quite few others.

Reactions: Geert76 and tbayrgs

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Samsung allows for trade-in. I'll trade in my S6 for a $120 value. Plus, you still get the free starter kit (free case, 64GB microSD card, and 6 months of Netflix).

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-unlocked-release-date_id93863

I'm doing it...

EDIT: Seems only the black model is available unlocked. So my color is decided. Sorry, Orchid Gray...

sweet! I saw that trade in, not bad depending on what you have lying around. I did get that starter kit promo when I bought from best buy yesteryday, but I have to wait for the promo to be approved, shipped, etc. Looks like you will probably get it with the phone. You'll love this phone. So quick and smooth. By and far, my favorite android phone. Looks like my iPhone 7+ will go up on eBay today ;)

Reactions: epicrayban

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I am getting great battery life on my S8+ on T-Mobile
When I work from home on WiFi all day I can get almost 8 hours SOT
When I go to the office where there is horrible cell reception I get 6 hours SOT

I have my display resolution set to HD+. I have the display brightness slider at just under 50%. Which is plenty bright enough for me. I can adjust it if I am outdoors

I also have battery optimizations turn on with app monitoring. So when an app (like Facebook) consumes too much battery/power in the background.... it will be put to sleep
Love to use battery optimizations....they are a life saver

But really my battery lasts all day and then some. At the end of the day it usually has 40% left when i put it on the wireless charger on my nightstand

Battery life has been amazing. Better than my 7+, which I never ever expected.

I have always been a fan of Android, and even Sammy (yup, even during the garish TW days. I think they tried to create a lot of value adds, and good on them for that). However I've had the same hang ups with Android/Sammy: stability, lag, OS cohesion, etc. This phone....checks every box. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. The one bug or flawed design that kills it. I thought the FP reader would be it, but honestly its been okay. Closest thing to an achilles heel. Other than that, the phone just keeps being great. I become more enamored with it each day.

Sammy did a fantastic job. You may not prefer their design, OS, whatever but they deserve so much credit for creating such a thoughtful, consumer-friendly device. I'm still a big iOS buff and I am rooting so hard for Apple to provide likewise this fall.

Reactions: jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Samsung allows for trade-in. I'll trade in my S6 for a $120 value. Plus, you still get the free starter kit (free case, 64GB microSD card, and 6 months of Netflix).

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-unlocked-release-date_id93863

I'm doing it...

EDIT: Seems only the black model is available unlocked. So my color is decided. Sorry, Orchid Gray...

IIRC, you're a T-Mobile customer, correct? And I thought I'd read that the T-Mobile varients are pretty light on the carrier bloatware.

Considering the unlocked galaxy S7 just started getting Nougat yesterday :eek:, well after the carrier variants (still don't get how this happens), what's the appeal of the unlocked version? Are the promo offers better?

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
At the moment I am using a DBrand Skin (Black Dragon). I am really, really happy with this Skin. Gives a ton of real extra grip and is making sure there wont be any scratches on the back of the phone.

How easy/hard was it to put on the device? Did you do the front as well or only the back?

Can you post a pic?

I have been thinking about a skin for a while now but never good at applying these things and curious about the actual grip.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Mr Mobile & MKBHD did a great video for LGG6 & S8.

Essentially both great devices which is good as last year Samsung had no competition from LG (V20 wasn't released wide enough to compensate for disaster of G5)

I have no doubt had Samsung released an S8 with flat display I would have picked that up over the LG, so it's possibly good fortune as by going all edge and forcing those who prefer flat to look elsewhere, I finally gave LG a chance and so far I'm impressed with the alternative and have saved myself a couple hundred $$ in the process.

Android is in a very good place so far this year and hopefully can only get better with the Pixel 2 and Note 8 to come ...

Nice comparisons!! I also agree the G6 is a better phone (for me) because of the flat screen, although I'm disappointed at LCD instead of AMOLED. In the end I decided to wait a bit. Excitement over the upcoming Android O preview has me actually considering grabbing a cheap pixel to play around with. But it reminds me of how poor Samsung and LG are at updates and I'm going to wait for the Pixel 2, well after the iPhone 8 of course.
[doublepost=1494345221][/doublepost]
I use LightDims Black Out Edition to block light from bright LEDs.

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Black-Out-Electronics-Appliances/dp/B009WSN8PK

Wow those are nice. I just use brown electric tape, it covers most of the light but leaves just a tiny bit of a glow so I can still use the led functions. This is on my household/computer electronics, I wouldn't use that on my phone. On my phone I'd just turn off the led notifications.

Reactions: MRU

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I like this current cycle I am on.

New iPhone, new Galaxy S series.

Nicely spaced out from each other, gives me some nice breathing room on each, and i enjoy the best of both worlds. The wildcard this time around will be how the Pixel 2 is enhanced from the original.

Reactions: Geert76

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
How easy/hard was it to put on the device? Did you do the front as well or only the back?

Can you post a pic?

I have been thinking about a skin for a while now but never good at applying these things and curious about the actual grip.

It took me about 20 minutes, was not a very tough job. The trick here is to use a hairdryer, as mentioned in their video as well. To smoothen up the edges.

I have used the Titanium en Matte Black Dbrand skin last year with my S7. Took them off after a few days as they gave the phone hardly any grip.
This time with their new Black Dragon it's totally different. A very very nice good grip this time.
[doublepost=1494345706][/doublepost]
Tasker fan here. Use it for lots of stuff.
- change wallpaper every few minutes (only when phone awake to save battery)
- auto send SMS when my car near pickup point (use cell location).
- tap for timed duration ringer silence.
- auto silence (+other settings) during appointment (calendar)
- activate call recording when receive calls from certain numbers.
- auto activate certain apps/settings when phone tap on NFC stickers

and quite few others.

nice!

May I ask you some advice please...

I get very annoyed when leaving the house with WiFi still on that I get these icons pop up in the statusbar that I am not connected to Wifi.
Could you help me out with this please?

I would like my Wifi to turn off automatically when I leave the house and turn back on when I come home again.
What are the steps I have to make to get this done?

thanks

Reactions: Cnasty

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

If you look at the 'item specs' column, it says ' brand - e_coming ' I'd steer clear of these non branded clones, especially when it comes to charging.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
If you look at the 'item specs' column, it says ' brand - e_coming ' I'd steer clear of these non branded clones, especially when it comes to charging.

Great catch!

Yea i can't seem to find true Samsung chargers out there so may need fork up the cash. I am assuming the only difference in last years Samsung model and the new $90 variant is the sliding mechanism? Seems rather pricey but it sure is very nice with that leather face and looks fantastic.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
It took me about 20 minutes, was not a very tough job. The trick here is to use a hairdryer, as mentioned in their video as well. To smoothen up the edges.

I have used the Titanium en Matte Black Dbrand skin last year with my S7. Took them off after a few days as they gave the phone hardly any grip.
This time with their new Black Dragon it's totally different. A very very nice good grip this time.

nice!

I get very annoyed when leaving the house with WiFi still on that I get these icons pop up in the statusbar that I am not connected to Wifi.

I would like my Wifi to turn off automatically when I leave the house and turn back on when I come home again.

thanks

Create a profile with cell near event. Leave it to capture the cells at home for say 20 minutes. The in enter/exit profile turn on/off wifi

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

nice!

thanks

You can turn that wifi notification off in settings. Wifi Settings -> 3 dot menu button on top right -> Advanced

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170509-112402.png
    Screenshot_20170509-112402.png
    246.3 KB · Views: 93

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
You can turn that wifi notification off in settings. Wifi Settings -> 3 dot menu button on top right -> Advanced
Create a profile with cell near event. Leave it to capture the cells at home for say 20 minutes. The in enter/exit profile turn on/off wifi

thanks guys! gonna check the notifications settings out and will create a profile in Tasker for this specific profile

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
IIRC, carriers like Verizon and AT&T remove that and require you use their visual voicemail apps (found in the play store or as a pre-installed app) or do the Google Voice workaround.

But a Verizon or ATT iPhone uses the stock iOS Visual Voicemail, so why is that acceptable, but not on Android ? Curious what the Pixel is like on Verizon, the Pixel has built in Visual Voicemail as well.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Great catch!

Yea i can't seem to find true Samsung chargers out there so may need fork up the cash. I am assuming the only difference in last years Samsung model and the new $90 variant is the sliding mechanism? Seems rather pricey but it sure is very nice with that leather face and looks fantastic.

I wouldn't spend $90 on that new 'sliding' charger. It's way overpriced, and the quality is ..meh..

Here's a genuine oem, but in white.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Sam...193865?hash=item2a81da4d09:g:dOYAAOSwAPVZEeSu

$25 + $3 (shipping) and a 100% positive rating (400+ feedback)

Reactions: Cnasty

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
IIRC, you're a T-Mobile customer, correct? And I thought I'd read that the T-Mobile varients are pretty light on the carrier bloatware.

Considering the unlocked galaxy S7 just started getting Nougat yesterday :eek:, well after the carrier variants (still don't get how this happens), what's the appeal of the unlocked version? Are the promo offers better?

Few simple reasons:
-Truly unlocked and bloat free means I can take it traveling and be free to sell off the device down the road (say if the Pixel 2 or new iPhone wins me back).
-The goodies are better. I was surprised Tmobile didn't offer more. I don't really care about the free VR goggles. I rather get the 64GB microSD and 6 months of Netflix (Tmobile last year offered 1 free year! Nothing this time).
-Lastly, Tmobile's JoD program isn't what it used to be so that turned me off. Plus it's complicated to get out of (again, should the Pixel 2 or anything else come along).

As for security and software updates, you know how I feel about those. While I would love for Samsung to keep their new promise and steadily provide both types of updates, I also don't find it as big of a deal-breaker as others do.

Security patches are, of course, great, but as long as one installs only from the Play Store and other trusted sites, you're fine. In all my years of owning an Android device, I've never had any "security" related issues.

As for full software updates, similar sentiment. I honestly think day-one updates are overrated and more bragging right than practicality. I don't need any bugs, small or big, disrupting my daily driver. I can wait a reasonable amount of time for kinks to get worked out. I also understand and respect the Android landscape -- I understand that Samsung and other OEMs need to put their tweaks first. Considering TouchWiz has more features than stock Android anyway, I'm in no rush to always get the latest.

Again, I welcome both, but they aren't defining issues that sway my smartphone decision that much. Samsung should strive to get better at both regardless.

Reactions: Demo Kit

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Try Automagic which is as capable as Tasker but with a better flow chart UI. There's a built in flow for location based WIFI toggle. Also, on their flow sharing forum there's a scan for SSID WIFI toggle.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.gridvision.ppam.androidautomagic

Free 10-day eval
http://automagic4android.com/en/evaluation

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I wouldn't spend $90 on that new 'sliding' charger. It's way overpriced, and the quality is ..meh..

Here's a genuine oem, but in white.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Sam...193865?hash=item2a81da4d09:g:dOYAAOSwAPVZEeSu

Great find, my wife would probably kill me less if I did the white one in the bedroom so yea that will work.
[doublepost=1494349098][/doublepost]

Found this today too if anyone else is interested:

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/samsung-fast-charge-wireless-stand-2pk-2

Reactions: M5RahuL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.