Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't mean to be so nit picky with the S8+, I would like to get one possibly, but maybe I am over sensitive to the potential lag, coming from my two recent phones being the Nexus 6P and now iPhone 7 Plus, that have really no lag whatsoever to speak of.

Maybe it's the SD835 vs Exynos version with lag and no lag ?

Honestly if you go in looking for lag, you will get probably find it even if it's very small amounts, and by the fact your looking for it, when you encounter such it would magnify the smallest amount of lag to be a bigger perceived issue than it is.

I think you have to approach it "well the device may have the occasional hiccup or stutter, but I will accept that for the extra features and hardware design / screen etc."

Otherwise your just setting yourself up for a frustrating unenjoyable experience.

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
I don't mean to be so nit picky with the S8+, I would like to get one possibly, but maybe I am over sensitive to the potential lag, coming from my two recent phones being the Nexus 6P and now iPhone 7 Plus, that have really no lag whatsoever to speak of.

It has been, and always will be, due to the "Samsung Experience". Yes, it's toned down some more and it isn't as visually atrocious as it has been in the past, but it's still there. Their coding just isn't great on a fundamental level. The hardware, both internal and external, are state-of-the-art. It's because of this that people are so attracted to this phone.

I personally need to wait to see the Note 8, Pixel 2, and iPhone 8 before I make a final call to sign another contract with this year, but the S8 was great in my ~12 days of use aside from some software stuff and that stupid, useless Bixby button. It's also known that using any Bixby remapping app causes noticeable lag and frame drops - I was about to throw my phone at the wall when it started lagging just switching between homescreens 2 days in until I figured that out; so many reports of very noticeable lag/stutter may be stemming from that. However, there are still slight hiccups here and there that simply aren't there on the Pixel or iP7 even without using that software. Yes, that's just another anecdote, but once you notice it, you can't "unnotice" it. The S8 is another step closer to Samsung finally almost getting it perfect, and the external hardware makes you accept its shortcomings easier. A vanilla android version of the S8 minus the Bixby button (or having it be a natively remappable hardware button) makes me drool. A flat version would be nice as well.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I travel all over the DFW area for work and about 99% of my highway driving is on autopilot. It handles bumper to bumper traffic absolutely amazingly. Has completely changed my life for someone who drives a lot for work and stressed about traffic. Now i just let it do its thing, keep an eye on it, and enjoy the ride.

One of the worst aspects of freeway driving is constant stop and go. How does autopilot handle it? Does it look ahead to buffer distance and minimize stop and go?

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Android may just be old over cooked spaghetti strings and far behind on Linux kernel. Think it looks like Google wants to jettison old tired code that is not see e-signed for today.

Just finished reading articles about Fuscia.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
a lot of people here telling the S8/S8+ has lag. To be honest, I hardly notice any difference with my iPhone 7.

I would rather have a bit of lag and have full controll over the phone I own, then having a phone with a smooth nearly lagfree experience but with no control.

With an iPhone, Apple will have full control over your phone, not you as the buyer of the phoner.
You can hardly do anything with it. I know thats fine for maybe like 90% of iPhone users.

But the S8 is more then 1000000 lightyears ;) ahead of the iPhone 7 when it comes to options/customization. And if that will cause a minimun of lag sometimes (it aint more then that), thats fine by me.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
So I finally decided to give up the Apple Music and Google Play Music in favor of Spotify. The only downside is my local content full of bootlegs and rare tracks not offered on Spotify, but using Samsung Music player for those isn't the worst inconvenience. I do wish Spotify had a library upload feature. Then it would be the clear cut winner. I just couldn't handle Google Play Music's interface. Spotify is the smoothest experience.

Reactions: AppleRobert and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So I finally decided to give up the Apple Music and Google Play Music in favor of Spotify. The only downside is my local content full of bootlegs and rare tracks not offered on Spotify, but using Samsung Music player for those isn't the worst inconvenience. I do wish Spotify had a library upload feature. Then it would be the clear cut winner. I just couldn't handle Google Play Music's interface. Spotify is the smoothest experience.
GPM can be very buggy at times even on Google's own hardware but I still prefer it over Spotify which I too have free with my mobile phone package (but let a family member use my account). Never been a fan of spotify's dark interface personally.

Reactions: tbayrgs

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California

I agree. I wish spotify had an upload feature. That is why I like Google Play Music and Amazon Music.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
GPM can be very buggy at times even on Google's own hardware but I still prefer it over Spotify which I too have free with my mobile phone package (but let a family member use my account). Never been a fan of spotify's dark interface personally.

Yeah I finally hit my breaking point last night when I was shuffling all of my songs to add thumbs up, and while I was swiping song by song, somehow everything froze, went back 4 songs, then jumped forward 5 songs, and then the app crashed. And this has happened several times. Pretty much everything I listen to now is on Spotify, except for some rare U2 and Radiohead tracks and bootlegs.

Reactions: MRU

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
One of the worst aspects of freeway driving is constant stop and go. How does autopilot handle it? Does it look ahead to buffer distance and minimize stop and go?

Yes it has a camera and sonar that keeps track of the vehicles in front of you as well as the one in front of that vehicle. It is fantastic at setting it and letting it do its thing in stop and go.

It is actually my most case use of auto pilot as I do not use it within the city so almost always stop and go (Dallas has a ton of traffic) and then of course just cruising on road trips and open stretches of road. Takes some getting used to and trusting it in the beginning but once you get there, I am not exaggerating when I say it has changed my life with the line of work and amount of travel i do.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I'm a big Android nerd, but have been on an iPhone 7 Plus since Christmastime, mainly for the great battery life, and to be honest not a fan of iMessage, and don't see what all the fuss is about ? I would much prefer to use Google Messenger or even Textra on the iPhone over iMessage.

As far as WhatsApp, out of 100 people I may know, maybe one uses WhatsApp. It's just not used with any of my family, friends, or colleagues I know. And to be honest do not understand the point of it ? No matter which phone you use, iPhone or Android, your still sending an SMS or MMS text, so the other person should receive it no problem, no matter the phone they have ??? What's the matter with the texting app the phone comes with, be it iMessage or Google Messenger ?

Yeah it's funny WhatsApp doesn't appear quite as big in America, would love to know the usage stats out there. For reference, here's an article posted today: http://mashable.com/2017/05/08/whatsapp-video-calling-stats/?utm_cid=hp-r-1#qjnZUAWx.5qI

A XDA comment;

I switched back and outside of Samsung Pay I don't regret it. Even with an outmoded SoC Google has optimized the Pixel XL so well that it absolutely runs circles around the S8+. I never realized quite how big the disparity was until I spent 48 hours playing with both at the same time. Samsung has the better hardware but they've completely stumbled over the software. Google has older hardware but they've nailed the software experience so well that you won't get a better day to day experience except maybe (MAYBE) on a custom rom/kernel. The Pixel XL isn't perfect but dang if it isn't FAST. The XL is probably the first phone in years that I've felt attached to enough to go BACK to. It spoils you in spades when looking at the performance of the competition

Tbh I've had an S7 Edge, a Pixel and now S8. There is no doubt the Pixel is more fast/fluid and handles the OS incredibly - however, for me it's still very immature as a PHONE. I missed so much stuff from the S7 Edge that I sold my Pixel and decided to wait for the S8 (which I now have). And I didn't even have a dodgy Pixel with any hardware problems :D

But I know a lot of people who simply adore the Pixel, I think the Pixel 2 should be an even more compelling package.

Reactions: MRU

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
A XDA comment;

I switched back and outside of Samsung Pay I don't regret it. Even with an outmoded SoC Google has optimized the Pixel XL so well that it absolutely runs circles around the S8+. I never realized quite how big the disparity was until I spent 48 hours playing with both at the same time. Samsung has the better hardware but they've completely stumbled over the software. Google has older hardware but they've nailed the software experience so well that you won't get a better day to day experience except maybe (MAYBE) on a custom rom/kernel. The Pixel XL isn't perfect but dang if it isn't FAST. The XL is probably the first phone in years that I've felt attached to enough to go BACK to. It spoils you in spades when looking at the performance of the competition
I've heard the exact opposite from people. That the galaxy s8 is more fluid than the pixel. And when it comes to open apps and browsing the web galaxy s8 is faster.

Reactions: The Game 161

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

I've had all 3 at one point but now I just use GPM and Apple Music. Google
For the same reasons you have. I've got some RARE tracks that can't be found anymore, and Apple Music just flat out has the largest catalog.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

If you want the S8+ as lag free as possible, get the Exynos version with knowledge that you might sacrifice wi-fi calling and warranty coverage. You are a little bit nit picky, but that's because you want a bit of everything meaning that you want iOS standby time, Nexus software, Samsung hardware. I was at that stage before and hopped back and forth between Samsung and iPhone many a time. Now, I am content with having a S8 and SE combo. My SE is probably going to be in my possession for years to come because of its versatility, features, and cost to own.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Lets hope it doesn't get to a point where we can't debate or question misinformation. Those new to Galaxy S8 and Android can benefit from understanding the differences in multitasking. Even those that stay with iOS can better understand their OS and not mistake things like app state preservation to and restoration from storage as multitasking.

https://www.raywenderlich.com/117471/state-restoration-tutorial

Yet again, he continues to be wrong.
[doublepost=1494285386][/doublepost]
Same here....i switched to iris scanning and even use it for Samsung Pay.
How it is if you wear glasses? My Note 7 would never work right.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
The Samsung music app is cool. I love how the Edge screen kinda lights up and it changes color based on the album art. Man it's the little things like that...

Lol

Reactions: Cnasty

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
So went in to T-Mobile they want $130 down on the S8+. I am on JoD ( Jump on Demand ) typically they program just requires paying the taxes upfront only.

And I also need to switch my sim card out put in my wife's phone for 24 hrs and then come back for the deal to go well and smooth. Not sure what that's about ?

So I'll think about it and come back tomorrow.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Well, on the first day of pre-order, I ordered the S8. Once I got it, it was fast, responsive, and the camera took great pics. Unfortunately, I had the dreaded pink edges. They drove me crazy. I waited for the update. It didn't help. So, I called and got a replacement. Fortunately, I no longer have the pink edges.

Also, even though I'm upgrading to the Note 8, I love this phone and sold my Note 5 (I do miss the spen:(). This is a great phone. If you are hesitating, check it out at stores.

For the pre-order, I got the VR headset free. And, with my new S8, I get the entertainment package (Case, 64 gb sd card, and 6 mo netflix), too. Not too bad.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Maybe I'm missing something somewhwere but does the S8 have visual voicemail?

I am used to that on iPhone and got my first voicemail and it wasn't there.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Maybe I'm missing something somewhwere but does the S8 have visual voicemail?

I am used to that on iPhone and got my first voicemail and it wasn't there.
This may or may not help, but I have VZW and the carrier voicemail app that was preloaded does visual voicemail.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
This may or may not help, but I have VZW and the carrier voicemail app that was preloaded does visual voicemail.

No I have att

I am wondering if I deleted it. I don't remember a visual voicemail app on my iPhone though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.