Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
never used SwiftKey on my iPhones before. But wow, SwiftKey is pretty amazing with swiping words :) (yeah, I know...you guys probally use it allready for quit some time haha)

Still need to get used it, but quit like it so far. In my understanding, after a period of time it will predict what I am about to typ, nice!

I used to use Swiftkey up until a few months ago, loved it. But then they changed their policy and a lot of people said it was real "invasion of privacy" level type stuff, so I've stopped using it now.

It was better than GBoard (official Google Keyboard) but GBoard has caught up a lot and I'll probably stick with it for foreseeable future.

So far it seems like iMessage is one of the biggest things holding people back from switching to the S8. Google has done so well in many different areas except messaging. If RCS could ever get off the ground and be standardized then things would be much different.

I've always been on Android for my phone so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but between using the stock Samsung messages with SMS and MMS, Facebook messenger, Skype, and KIK I don't have any issues with communication between different platforms.

With that said a single modern standard going forward would be really nice.

I understand in America it's a big deal, but the rest of the world all use WhatsApp which is cross-platform, so in reality iMessage kind of matters less and less as time goes on for many, many users.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I used to use Swiftkey up until a few months ago, loved it. But then they changed their policy and a lot of people said it was real "invasion of privacy" level type stuff, so I've stopped using it now.

It was better than GBoard (official Google Keyboard) but GBoard has caught up a lot and I'll probably stick with it for foreseeable future.

yeah, and we all know who Google is with their strict privacy policy huh!? ;) ;)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well I guess there's only so much that can be the same. If only you could merge the two. Maybe Apple will get enough cash to buy Google eventually and then we'll be down to that one perfect mobile platform. :)
gotta say that would be a nightmare....the first thing they would do is start killing everything off. They would restrict everything to their own apps and kill everything else off. No more competition.....no more competing phones....Android would be dead.......

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
yeah, and we all know who Google is with their strict privacy policy huh!? ;) ;)

Hahaha!! Point taken.

But in all seriousness, Google are huge company open to scrutiny. You know already they will mine your information for ad revenues, but otherwise they don't really care.

Whereas when smaller companies want your personal information (in this case, SwiftKey were being unreasonable) then you have to question their motives.

Or maybe I'm being naive!!

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
So far it seems like iMessage is one of the biggest things holding people back from switching to the S8. Google has done so well in many different areas except messaging. If RCS could ever get off the ground and be standardized then things would be much different.

I've always been on Android for my phone so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but between using the stock Samsung messages with SMS and MMS, Facebook messenger, Skype, and KIK I don't have any issues with communication between different platforms.

With that said a single modern standard going forward would be really nice.

I'm a big Android nerd, but have been on an iPhone 7 Plus since Christmastime, mainly for the great battery life, and to be honest not a fan of iMessage, and don't see what all the fuss is about ? I would much prefer to use Google Messenger or even Textra on the iPhone over iMessage.

As far as WhatsApp, out of 100 people I may know, maybe one uses WhatsApp. It's just not used with any of my family, friends, or colleagues I know. And to be honest do not understand the point of it ? No matter which phone you use, iPhone or Android, your still sending an SMS or MMS text, so the other person should receive it no problem, no matter the phone they have ??? What's the matter with the texting app the phone comes with, be it iMessage or Google Messenger ?

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
gotta say that would be a nightmare....the first thing they would do is start killing everything off. They would restrict everything to their own apps and kill everything else off. No more competition.....no more competing phones....Android would be dead.......

This...and that Google, recently (this may have changed since), was listed as being more valuable than Apple. Apple may have a larger cash reserve, but Alphabet and its assets is considered to be more valuable.

So yeah, Apple isn't going to be able to buy Google, let alone the fact that the courts would never allow this to happen.

Apple is large, and it is powerful, but that doesn't mean it can go buy anything it wants. If it could, why not buy Ford, Samsung, and Verizon? Then it would achieve all its ambitions...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This...and that Google, recently (this may have changed since), was listed as being more valuable than Apple. Apple may have a larger cash reserve, but Alphabet and its assets is considered to be more valuable.

So yeah, Apple isn't going to be able to buy Google, let alone the fact that the courts would never allow this to happen.

Apple is large, and it is powerful, but that doesn't mean it can go buy anything it wants. If it could, why not buy Ford, Samsung, and Verizon? Then it would achieve all its ambitions...
Lol the government regulators would have a field day..... You're right it would never happen.
But i could see them buying Tesla. Would make sense for them.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Lol the government regulators would have a field day..... You're right it would never happen.
OT sorry but I finally got to see the Tesla X in person on Friday last at a car show and I felt really disappointed given the hype Tesla has had over the last number of years and given I drive electric as is. It just did nothing for me and the massive screen in the dashboard was like seeing a 65" TV stuck in 4' x 4' cupboard. But it had a massive amount of people who were impressed, I left somewhat deflated ...

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011

Yeah, maybe, but I doubt that would happen short of a hostel take over. The CEO of Telsa, Elon Musk, seems to love that company, and is a powerful man in his own right.

Reactions: jamezr

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
This.
And the absence of the swipe back gesture. A lot of people hate those Back and Recent buttons.

I miss it big times while browsing in the stock Samsung Browser. I like to swipe back instead of reaching my thumb down to get to the back button.
With the swipe back gesture in iOS I am 100 times quicker when browsing the internet.

Everyone has their thing they like or prefer when making such a big switch.

I used to feel the same but I came to appreciate the back button...It works everywhere on the phone not just the internet or apples own apps...and that is far more useful than one would think.

Plus you arguably gain more in productivity with android widgets. Don't even need to open up the app for Simple quick tasks.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
OT sorry but I finally got to see the Tesla X in person on Friday last at a car show and I felt really disappointed given the hype Tesla has had over the last number of years and given I drive electric as is. It just did nothing for me and the massive screen in the dashboard was like seeing a 65" TV stuck in 4' x 4' cupboard. But it had a massive amount of people who were impressed, I left somewhat deflated ...

As a Model S owner I am appalled by your thoughts on the vehicle!! ;)

I love the S compared to the X as it is almost too egg shaped for me but as a father those falcon wing doors would be life savers.

That screen is amazing when in the cockpit as I have it set up to function like my onboard space computer and navigating long trips with that screen is top notch.

Not to mention autopilot being a life changer in all my stop and go traffic.

Ok ok , back on topic...again. Just had to defend Tesla a tad. :)

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
As a Model S owner I am appalled by your thoughts on the vehicle!! ;)

I love the S compared to the X as it is almost too egg shaped for me but as a father those falcon wing doors would be life savers.

That screen is amazing when in the cockpit as I have it set up to function like my onboard space computer and navigating long trips with that screen is top notch.

Not to mention autopilot being a life changer in all my stop and go traffic.

Ok ok , back on topic...again. Just had to defend Tesla a tad. :)
Do these things drive theireelf yet or what?

Reactions: Tig Bitties and MRU

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Do these things drive theireelf yet or what?

Yes...somewhat.

I travel all over the DFW area for work and about 99% of my highway driving is on autopilot. It handles bumper to bumper traffic absolutely amazingly. Has completely changed my life for someone who drives a lot for work and stressed about traffic. Now i just let it do its thing, keep an eye on it, and enjoy the ride.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Yes...somewhat.

I travel all over the DFW area for work and about 99% of my highway driving is on autopilot. It handles bumper to bumper traffic absolutely amazingly. Has completely changed my life for someone who drives a lot for work and stressed about traffic. Now i just let it do its thing, keep an eye on it, and enjoy the ride.
Awesome. Guess it would be useless in my 3 minute drive to work in small town OK then eh? Interesting though none the less. By baby's daycare theirs a red Tesla. Always wondered what the rage was about. Out of my league LOL. Ill just keep taking my trusty Mustang GT to work for now I suppose

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

OT, yes, but one thing I did like about the Model X is the way the rear doors open. A parent at my child's daycare has a Model X and every time they put the child in their car seat, I'm a bit jealous. You can be in the tightest of parking spots and it's a breeze to put a kid in the car seat as the door is above you and not to your side. putting a child in a car seat in a normal car with a tight parking space is a major PITA.

ok, back to the S8... I had to return my to Samsung.com due to my speakerphone issue. I'm waiting for the pre-orders on the unlocked model to go live tomorrow but I read on Reddit that those won't ship till the 30th!? Hmmm. @epicrayban, have you heard anything different?

Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
OT, yes, but one thing I did like about the Model X is the way the rear doors open. A parent at my child's daycare has a Model X and every time they put the child in their car seat, I'm a bit jealous. You can be in the tightest of parking spots and it's a breeze to put a kid in the car seat as the door is above you and not to your side. putting a child in a car seat in a normal car with a tight parking space is a major PITA.

ok, back to the S8... I had to return my to Samsung.com due to my speakerphone issue. I'm waiting for the pre-orders on the unlocked model to go live tomorrow but I read on Reddit that those won't ship till the 30th!? Hmmm. @epicrayban, have you heard anything different?

Haven't heard anything. 30th, huh? Where did that info come from on Reddit? That would suck.

If that's the case, with the OnePlus 5 around the corner, I might hold off just to at least see what OnePlus will offer.

slingshott

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2017
The average Android user probably has no idea what rooting is, and in this day and age there isn't much benefit to rooting your phone. There is no requirement to try out new launchers-- you are simply given the benefit if you'd like to change the look around.

Personally, I don't find rooting beneficial for my needs. You also wind up tripping an e-fuse that disables KNOX, a security element on Samsung devices. This bars you from using Samsung Pay (and Android Pay, among other apps) and nothing short of a modified ROM to trick the device of the e-fuse status will get these apps working again.

The average Galaxy user is going to be using the stock Touchwiz launcher and pretty much won't know half of the functions the phone is capable of. It's a blessing and a curse, as Samsung probably spent a good amount of time implementing all these features. But it also keeps the user in awe that their phone can do X, Y, Z.

In regards to Galaxy devices being choppy-- my S7 Edge is definitely a lot more choppier when scrolling through the menu and what not, but it's nothing to lose sleep over. As long as my apps launch, and my battery isn't draining, I'm fine with the occasional stutter-- I've got bigger fish to fry than to worry about dropped framerates.

I don't disagree with anything you said. Google do look to be taking serious steps to stop it so maybe it's the beginning of the end for the customization scene. I still can't choose Touchwiz over iOS though. The hardware is so pretty but I just cannot get used to that software.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Best Buy rep said preorder tomorrow and release 31st.

Bummer. But still earlier than Samsung has ever made unlocked models available.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Haven't heard anything. 30th, huh? Where did that info come from on Reddit? That would suck.

If that's the case, with the OnePlus 5 around the corner, I might hold off just to at least see what OnePlus will offer.

It was a reply from a redditor to my question. He said that's what Best Buy told him. I'm taking it with a grain of salt but I can see it being true. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow am. If that's the case, I'm just going to get the Verizon model again and flash the unlocked phone's firmware when it's available
[doublepost=1494265644][/doublepost]
Best Buy rep said preorder tomorrow and release 31st.

Bummer. But still earlier than Samsung has ever made unlocked models available.

Thanks for confirming.

Reactions: epicrayban

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
A XDA comment;

I switched back and outside of Samsung Pay I don't regret it. Even with an outmoded SoC Google has optimized the Pixel XL so well that it absolutely runs circles around the S8+. I never realized quite how big the disparity was until I spent 48 hours playing with both at the same time. Samsung has the better hardware but they've completely stumbled over the software. Google has older hardware but they've nailed the software experience so well that you won't get a better day to day experience except maybe (MAYBE) on a custom rom/kernel. The Pixel XL isn't perfect but dang if it isn't FAST. The XL is probably the first phone in years that I've felt attached to enough to go BACK to. It spoils you in spades when looking at the performance of the competition

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
A XDA comment;

I switched back and outside of Samsung Pay I don't regret it. Even with an outmoded SoC Google has optimized the Pixel XL so well that it absolutely runs circles around the S8+. I never realized quite how big the disparity was until I spent 48 hours playing with both at the same time. Samsung has the better hardware but they've completely stumbled over the software. Google has older hardware but they've nailed the software experience so well that you won't get a better day to day experience except maybe (MAYBE) on a custom rom/kernel. The Pixel XL isn't perfect but dang if it isn't FAST. The XL is probably the first phone in years that I've felt attached to enough to go BACK to. It spoils you in spades when looking at the performance of the competition

Their opinion isn't anything new: pure Android is meant to be the most optimized version of Android. It's barebones at best. Very little features to differentiate itself from other skins. And you're going to have wait a bit to get your hands on a Pixel XL. Better off waiting for the Pixel XL 2 tbh because of the 835 processor, water resistance, improved cameras, etc.

Reactions: Demo Kit

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Their opinion isn't anything new: pure Android is meant to be the most optimized version of Android. It's barebones at best. Very little features to differentiate itself from other skins. And you're going to have wait a bit to get your hands on a Pixel XL. Better off waiting for the Pixel XL 2 tbh because of the 835 processor, water resistance, improved cameras, etc.
That was just one persons opinion on a forum. I am on several different forums and could post quotes of just the opposite... Different people have different experiences.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

I don't mean to be so nit picky with the S8+, I would like to get one possibly, but maybe I am over sensitive to the potential lag, coming from my two recent phones being the Nexus 6P and now iPhone 7 Plus, that have really no lag whatsoever to speak of.

Maybe it's the SD835 vs Exynos version with lag and no lag ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.