Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I thought on stock Android, in the Phone app there's Voicemail if you swipe to the farthest right panel or tab ? Why is Samsung's Phone app different ?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hi friends. I'm going to be absent awhile. There is a family medical emergency that will occupy my attention for the immediate future. My S8+ is awesome. I still have not gotten the AT&T pink screen update but it's all good. I'm loving this device. And still appreciating my IPhone 7 Plus, too. It's all good. I am very blessed. I look forward to rejoining you and catching up on posts when I can. So keep this thread jumping my friends!

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
Maybe I'm missing something somewhwere but does the S8 have visual voicemail?

I am used to that on iPhone and got my first voicemail and it wasn't there.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: Cnasty

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hi friends. I'm going to be absent awhile. There is a family medical emergency that will occupy my attention for the immediate future. My S8+ is awesome. I still have not gotten the AT&T pink screen update but it's all good. I'm loving this device. And still appreciating my IPhone 7 Plus, too. It's all good. I am very blessed. I look forward to rejoining you and catching up on posts when I can. So keep this thread jumping my friends!
Thoughts and prayers....hope all goes well.

Reactions: 5105973

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
No I have att

I am wondering if I deleted it. I don't remember a visual voicemail app on my iPhone though

Haven't used a Samsung phone in years but every other Android phone that I've used (HTC, Nexus and the Pixel) required that I either use a carrier voicemail app (AT&T Voicemail app) or use Google Voice by having my AT&T number automatically foward to my Google Voice number for voicemails.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Take care and sending you positive thoughts.

Reactions: 5105973

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I thought on stock Android, in the Phone app there's Voicemail if you swipe to the farthest right panel or tab ? Why is Samsung's Phone app different ?

Great question. It just is. And to make matters worse, VZW VM has a bug: the message stops playing when you raise the phone to your ear. I don't know how widespread it is but mine definitely has it.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So my official Samsung Alcantara case arrived. It's lovely!

Never spent this much on a case before (although I got it from internet, saved £15 lol). It's dark blue. Fits like a glove and looks classy as hell. Feels gorgeous in hand, like stroking some sort of friendly pet.

Only thing is this is no protection for the bottom of the phone, so I wouldn't take this on proper adventures, will get a cheap clear case for £5 too.

I don't know if it will make a palpable difference to the fingerprint sensor, but I'm not really bothered! Facial recognition is too awesome, I love it already.

Random question: does the fingerprint sensor have a film over it that I'm supposed to remove? It's just so totally useless. I know my S6 or S7 did over the heart rate monitor but I can't quite make it out here.

Reactions: Geert76

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
So my official Samsung Alcantara case arrived. It's lovely!

Never spent this much on a case before (although I got it from internet, saved £15 lol). It's dark blue. Fits like a glove and looks classy as hell. Feels gorgeous in hand, like stroking some sort of friendly pet.

Only thing is this is no protection for the bottom of the phone, so I wouldn't take this on proper adventures, will get a cheap clear case for £5 too.

I don't know if it will make a palpable difference to the fingerprint sensor, but I'm not really bothered! Facial recognition is too awesome, I love it already.

Random question: does the fingerprint sensor have a film over it that I'm supposed to remove? It's just so totally useless. I know my S6 or S7 did over the heart rate monitor but I can't quite make it out here.

I also have the Alcantara in order, I expect it to arrive by Friday :)

But just the last few days I read reviews saying it is a dust/lint magnet. Can you allready confirm this? (or maybe a bit too early ;) )

Reactions: JaySoul

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I also have the Alcantara in order, I expect it to arrive by Friday :)

But just the last few days I read reviews saying it is a dust/lint magnet. Can you allready confirm this? (or maybe a bit too early ;) )

I've had it for 30 minutes and it already picked up bits of food from my desk :D

Yes, I'm sure this will pick up stuff but it's very easy to brush it off. I'm thinking this may be my "fancy case" and I'll get a cheap one for more everyday use. Let's see!

Main thing is I've got a case and screen protector now. Past 4 days, I've had 3298323 heart attacks where I nearly dropped the phone!!

Again, people who carry phones without a case and/or screen protector are MUCH braver than me!!

Reactions: Geert76

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Again, people who carry phones without a case and/or screen protector are MUCH braver than me!!

I hate cases, they ruin the design and user experience for about 110%. Most of them (let's say 97% ;) ) are either just plastic condoms or turn your phone into a tank.

At the moment I am using a DBrand Skin (Black Dragon). I am really, really happy with this Skin. Gives a ton of real extra grip and is making sure there wont be any scratches on the back of the phone.

My alcantara case I am just going to use when I go to a summer festival or concert.

Reactions: JaySoul

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am getting great battery life on my S8+ on T-Mobile
When I work from home on WiFi all day I can get almost 8 hours SOT
When I go to the office where there is horrible cell reception I get 6 hours SOT

I have my display resolution set to HD+. I have the display brightness slider at just under 50%. Which is plenty bright enough for me. I can adjust it if I am outdoors

I also have battery optimizations turn on with app monitoring. So when an app (like Facebook) consumes too much battery/power in the background.... it will be put to sleep
Love to use battery optimizations....they are a life saver

But really my battery lasts all day and then some. At the end of the day it usually has 40% left when i put it on the wireless charger on my nightstand

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Which wireless charger is everyone using with their S8? I hate having to fumble for wires at night, but then again at the same time I don't want a lighthouse shining on my nightstand from the LED status light on some of these units.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Which wireless charger is everyone using with their S8? I hate having to fumble for wires at night, but then again at the same time I don't want a lighthouse shining on my nightstand from the LED status light on some of these units.

I just put a small piece of Gorilla tape over the light.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have been using this one. But i have a piece of black electrical tape on the annoying led light at the bottom ;-)

Pdpdefault-ep-ng930tbugus-600x600-C1-052016

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
hmmm...so the conclusion is, apps in Android are general better and more functional than Iphone (and not the other way around like what we were led to believe by apple fans). ;)

Rather a debatable conclusion.

But it is not of paramount importance...both android and iOS ecosystems are fine for many things.

Reactions: widgeteer

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands

I am about to order the original (new) wireless Samsung S8 charger. I am just gonna sticker the light.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

IIRC, carriers like Verizon and AT&T remove that and require you use their visual voicemail apps (found in the play store or as a pre-installed app) or do the Google Voice workaround.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
something totally different.... ;)

Are there people here using the apps MacroDroid and/or Tasker?
I like the idea to have certain actions when for example I leave my home or arrive at home.

What I allready set up with MacroDroid is that all my apps stay in portrait mode except apps like YouTube which are allowed to use in landscape mode.
Also, the led indicator will be turned off after 1030PM once I put it on the wireless charger next to my bed.

Do you have any (productive) macro's set up with Tasker or MacroDroid? Please share! tnx

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Anyone pre-ordering the unlocked S8 with Best Buy today? I'm thinking of going over at lunch..

But OnePlus 5 is also on my radar....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.