Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
But a Verizon or ATT iPhone uses the stock iOS Visual Voicemail, so why is that acceptable, but not on Android ? Curious what the Pixel is like on Verizon, the Pixel has built in Visual Voicemail as well.

yeah, I'm not sure on the Pixel. My biggest gripe with Android (outside of Nexus/Pixel) is the carriers dictating software features, updates, etc. My Verizon S8 has several stock Samsung features disabled, like Samsung Cloud and the device performace/maintenance section. Plus omitting visual voicemail from the dialer, etc. I really wish they'd be like Apple and not let the carriers touch the software. What stance does Apple have with carriers vs Android OEMs?

Reactions: Tig Bitties

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
I have a new two pack of Samsung brand screen protectors from mobile fun I ordered and don't need them.
Galaxy s8 plus
Pm me if ur interested.
Total was 25 bux shipped to me.
You can't get these in the US I don't think.

Reactions: M5RahuL

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Didn't realize that model qualified. I thought it was just the ones through their site for the Big 4 carriers.

Yeah. I'm glad. It seemed like it was part of my order, so I assume they'll just ship it with those goodies.

I'll never use the case... lol.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
But a Verizon or ATT iPhone uses the stock iOS Visual Voicemail, so why is that acceptable, but not on Android ? Curious what the Pixel is like on Verizon, the Pixel has built in Visual Voicemail as well.

The Pixel I bought unlocked from Google and used on AT&T didn't have native visual voicemail and required I download the AT&T version.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

I use the Pixel XL on VZW. THe built in visual voicemail works seamlessly. Not sure why Sammy didn't include that in the phone launcher. IT's not like Verizon charges for visual vm anymore so I don't see the advantage of theirs over stock.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

I'm not sure about that one, but I bought this one and it a genuine Samsung charger. It was a little more, but I am happy with it. It was not in the original package, but it did come with the manual, power adapter and USB cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152233631220?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Fair point outside the Pixel. Why is Google the only major company offering visual voicemail natively on Android? T-Mobile can take a hike with its Visual Voicemail. That's one of the few features I appreciate on my iPhone.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Fair point outside the Pixel. Why is Google the only major company offering visual voicemail natively on Android? T-Mobile can take a hike with its Visual Voicemail. That's one of the few features I appreciate on my iPhone.

Yep, VV is awesome.

Reactions: nviz22

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What does visual voicemail actually do? It's never been available here, what does the visual aspect of it actually do ?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What does visual voicemail actually do? It's never been available here, what does the visual aspect of it actually do ?

On the iPhone, rather than an prompt that you have received a voicemail and then need to dial in, input a passcode and use the keypad to navigate through one's voicemail box, it provides a list of messages, providing the contact name/number, length of message and time received, along with the ability to select an individual message and play it back from the display. With iOS 10 (I believe) Apple introduced written dictation of the message as well, a la what Google Voice offered for years.

Reactions: nviz22 and MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Reactions: MRU

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Are there any features left out of the US unlocked version outside of any carrier specific bloat ware not being included? Samsung pay still works etc?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
On the iPhone, rather than an prompt that you have received a voicemail and then need to dial in, input a passcode and use the keypad to navigate through one's voicemail box, it provides a list of messages, providing the contact name/number, length of message and time received, along with the ability to select an individual message and play it back from the display. With iOS 10 (I believe) Apple introduced written dictation of the message as well, a la what Google Voice offered for years.

I have the exact same thing on my S8, but it's a Verizon app. I don't subscribe to the written dictation piece, but it gives me a list. Works good.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Which wireless charger is everyone using with their S8? I hate having to fumble for wires at night, but then again at the same time I don't want a lighthouse shining on my nightstand from the LED status light on some of these units.
Tylt Vu at work and Nexus 5 Charger by LG at home.
nexusae0_vuduyudo.png

nexus-qi-charger-w782.jpg

The LG has magnets to keep it from sliding. Both are NOT fast wireless charging.

sparky08

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
So, it looks like the two places to preorder an unlocked S8 is Best Buy or Samsung.com.

Will there be others? If not, is one better than the other? I'm not a fan of Best Buy, so if all other things are equal, I'm going to go with Samsung.com.

Reactions: epicrayban

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
yeah, I'm not sure on the Pixel. My biggest gripe with Android (outside of Nexus/Pixel) is the carriers dictating software features, updates, etc. My Verizon S8 has several stock Samsung features disabled, like Samsung Cloud and the device performace/maintenance section. Plus omitting visual voicemail from the dialer, etc. I really wish they'd be like Apple and not let the carriers touch the software. What stance does Apple have with carriers vs Android OEMs?

Tbh Samsung is in a position where it should tell the carriers to screw off with their meddling. And tbh, I think it's going that way slowly but surely. This year there was not a single piece of carrier branding on the device itself. No Verizon logo or Att death star. So I think Samsung is slowly but surely going the apple way and that's awesome IMO. Next to the iPhone, the Galaxy S and Note Phones are the most popular devices in the states. And I'm pretty sure ATT, VZW, etc want those devices in their line up

Reactions: co.ag.2005

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
So, it looks like the two places to preorder an unlocked S8 is Best Buy or Samsung.com.

Will there be others? If not, is one better than the other? I'm not a fan of Best Buy, so if all other things are equal, I'm going to go with Samsung.com.

I went with Samsung. They're offering a free kit that includes a case, 64gb microSD card, and six months of free Netflix.

Best Buy, as far as I know, isn't offering any promotions.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
I went with Samsung. They're offering a free kit that includes a case, 64gb microSD card, and six months of free Netflix.

Best Buy, as far as I know, isn't offering any promotions.
I don't think it matters where you bought the phone from. I purchased mine directly from AT&T and was able to submit through the My Samsung and Shop Samsung App directly on the phone. I'd imagine it's not any different for the unlocked phones.

In fact when you're submitting the form for the kit, they ask you where you purchased from (drop down list). I chose AT&T and I'm pretty sure BestBuy is on that list.

Reactions: epicrayban

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Wow. The screen is like butter! I only had in my pocket this morning and I have scratches at the top of the screen!

You WILL need a screen protector!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.