Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Again that's making a pardon, for something that simply shouldn't be and isn't on devices with similar or lesser specs and with just as heavy OEM skin. Also, there is a difference between content refresh and app reload.

I see no reason for a device to champion itself as the fastest and then perform with a rather big handicap.

Samsung do need to fix this. We all deserve better than this, regardless.

For you I can see that irking you to no end. It's unfortunate they make a s8 with 6gb ram but only in Korea. It's not a root cause fix but at least it's more available ram. And it's shown to make a difference with keeping programs from reloading. Looks like a money grab in general.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
For you I can see that irking you to no end. It's unfortunate they make a s8 with 6gb ram but only in Korea. It's not a root cause fix but at least it's more available ram. And it's shown to make a difference with keeping programs from reloading. Looks like a money grab in general.
I really would like to see such regional discrimination end. It seems rather insulting.

Reactions: MRU and Roadstar

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I really would like to see such regional discrimination end. It seems rather insulting.

Indeed. Also the dual-SIM flagship models are available in many other European countries, but some brainiac in Samsung's Excessive Regional Differentiation department apparently decided that the Nordic countries don't need them. I could order one from the German or UK Amazon, but that would make possible warranty issues unnecessarily complicated.

Reactions: 5105973

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Indeed. Also the dual-SIM flagship models are available in many other European countries, but some brainiac in Samsung's Excessive Regional Differentiation department apparently decided that the Nordic countries don't need them. I could order one from the German or UK Amazon, but that would make possible warranty issues unnecessarily complicated.

Does changing the CSC using dialer code still possible? Not sure whether doing this will enable the dual SIM option.

Maybe some Samsung guru here may know.
[doublepost=1497242095][/doublepost]
what battery life you get on 4g please tell

for me LTE I get 6+ hours. Usually strong signals.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Does changing the CSC using dialer code still possible? Not sure whether doing this will enable the dual SIM option.

Maybe some Samsung guru here may know.
[doublepost=1497242095][/doublepost].

for me LTE I get 6+ hours. Usually strong signals.

Changing CSC is still possible, but it doesn't naturally change the hardware. Dual-SIM models have a different SIM tray.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Changing CSC is still possible, but it doesn't naturally change the hardware. Dual-SIM models have a different SIM tray.

OK. I didnt know the sim tray is different. I thought the SD-Card portion of the tray can take in a second SIM.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
9663ee5c9c5c19e68039aa71846946a1.jpg

Stainless steel band on the Gear S3 watch looks pretty damn good

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OK. I didnt know the sim tray is different. I thought the SD-Card portion of the tray can take in a second SIM.
No it physically doesn't have the second sim reader on its mother/logic board. Changing firmware and CSC can not enable that missing hardware.

Also Samsung changed the way CSC works this year. It's possible to change CSC but not fully this year with the S8. They have actually enabled 3 CSC flags, AAA/BBB/CCC (CCC being new)

AAA is your regions firmware CSC
BBB is your current 'active' CSC
CCC is your factory hardware CSC

Whilst AAA/BBB are still changeable they have made CCC burned into the hardware and not changeable at all.

We do not know at this stage if building in this third CSC flag will potentially act as another barrier for warranty much like the Knox Flag/Switch.

-----

Gone back to using my G6 for the day. G6 feels vanilla aesthetically but I think I prefer LG's software overall, and how it keeps up with what I want to do with my device.

I think I'll be jumping back and forth for a while.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
No it physically doesn't have the second sim reader on its mother/logic board. Changing firmware and CSC can not enable that missing hardware.

Also Samsung changed the way CSC works this year. It's possible to change CSC but not fully this year with the S8. They have actually enabled 3 CSC flags, AAA/BBB/CCC (CCC being new)

AAA is your regions firmware CSC
BBB is your current 'active' CSC
CCC is your factory hardware CSC

Whilst AAA/BBB are still changeable they have made CCC burned into the hardware and not changeable at all.

We do not know at this stage if building in this third CSC flag will potentially act as another barrier for warranty much like the Knox Flag/Switch.

It seems rather a complicated manufacturing process. So Samsung have 4 variants of hardware. Exynos & SD with and without dual SIM. I thought maybe the hardware is the same but they use firmware to enable/disable dual SIM support.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Agreed but it rarely impacts US consumers where the reverse is true for 1000's of products outside US and nothing to do with exchange rates

I often buy from US and even with £100 or $200 courier charges deltas on pricing, availability, models etc is surprising

I did get lucky once when Apple were slow to correct exchange rates fluctuations and got a rMB $70 cheaper than the states :) but thats rare and only as my base currency is linked to the $

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It seems rather a complicated manufacturing process. So Samsung have 4 variants of hardware. Exynos & SD with and without dual SIM. I thought maybe the hardware is the same but they use firmware to enable/disable dual SIM support.

Yeah it's quite a messy solution but one that is very normal among android OEM's. It's part of the many reasons android updates are so slow on OEM devices.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yeah it's quite a messy solution but one that is very normal among android OEM's. It's part of the many reasons android updates are so slow on OEM devices.
Can be slow or inconsistant for some :)

Since my S7 I have always had a monthly update :D YMMV is the anoyance for some

Reactions: MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Managed to get 32 hours off the plug with 6 hours SOT last charge, the Exynos cpu is great on battery. Having the confidence to be able to use the phone heavily throughout the day and not have to worry about it running flat is great. I also picked up a Samsung Wireless charge pad, Love it!
I love wireless charging! So convenient......so much easier than a dock or cables.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I mean actual 'Android' updates - not security updates ;)

I am always wary of version update. They introduce more trouble than it's worth. We become guinea pig tester again.

what killer features did Android N bring to Samsung phones? Multi window? Already there before. Come to think of it nothing much really.

I am happy as long as the security updates are made available.

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Managed to get 32 hours off the plug with 6 hours SOT last charge, the Exynos cpu is great on battery. Having the confidence to be able to use the phone heavily throughout the day and not have to worry about it running flat is great. I also picked up a Samsung Wireless charge pad, Love it!

I don't really Track anymore as it doesn't represent a point of concern but I'm safely in the realm of all day battery life with my S8+ with normal usage.

I don't feel like I'm really taking a hit from my iPhone 7+. Though with really heavy usage the fast charging battery is a blessing.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I am always wary of version update. They introduce more trouble than it's worth. We become guinea pig tester again.

what killer features did Android N bring to Samsung phones? Multi window? Already there before. Come to think of it nothing much really.

I am happy as long as the security updates are made available.

There is a good deal of truth to that. But it still won't stop everyone wanting Android O on their S8/8+ or folks complaining if Note 8 ships with N (as it inevitably will) instead of O.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Ok, I'm really torn right now. Just yesterday I more or less scratched the S8 off my list for its RAM management issues, but now that I tried my commute with my main SIM (which has unfortunately spotty coverage at times) in the S7 Edge, I noticed that it stayed connected to LTE much better than my iPhone 7, so it looks like I might actually do quite OK with a single SIM phone if the antenna is just good, and despite my earlier impression, Samsung seems to do quite fine in this department.

I have some concerns about the S8 still. The fingerprint scanner placement is one, but it sounds like people have gotten used to it after the initial shock. Then there's the RAM management issue, which is hopefully solved by an update, but it's still something to keep in mind. Finally we have the utterly useless Bixby button. Why, Samsung, why? Not to forget Samsung's constant habit of dropping the ball with updates, but there's some hope that they'll finally learn.

However, I would still like a waterproof phone equipped with a good camera and a headphone jack, and preferably something that doesn't take ages to charge and can actually provide me with modern smartphone functionality such as mobile payments. If the OnePlus 5 fails to deliver (I'm most concerned about waterproofing as it looks like they've finally done something to the camera), the S8 is enticing despite all of its flaws.

Reactions: yui4 and MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.