Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
No fresh install. Though it's improved at moment as I have 48% remaining and 2hrs 44mins of SOT. Will see what I get by time it's at 10%
That is actully not bad. SD or Exynos chip? Good cell reception? Any unusual usage patterns or non mainstream apps that you use? Sometimes it takes a week or so for the phone to sort itself out but a factory reset usually fixes any issues if it does not improve.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That is actully not bad. SD or Exynos chip? Good cell reception? Any unusual usage patterns or non mainstream apps that you use? Sometimes it takes a week or so for the phone to sort itself out but a factory reset usually fixes any issues if it does not improve.
Yeah that's why I was just giving it time to settle in. That's pretty much all on LTE too.

One IRK

Why the hell does the S8 not play fair with OK Google if the phone is locked, screen off ... Not charging.

On my Pixel & G6 same conditions OK Google detection works. It wakes screen, bypasses security if I have smart unlock setup and re-acts properly.

On the S8, you have to at least wake screen and go to lock screen for detection or have it charging for it to work.

Why do Samsung mess around with this stuff and for what reason other than annoy? Bixshit I am looking at you.

Last edited:

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
One IRK

Why the hell does the S8 not play fair with OK Google if the phone is locked, screen off ... Not charging.

On my Pixel & G6 same conditions OK Google detection works. It wakes screen, bypasses security if I have smart unlock setup and re-acts properly.

On the S8, you have to at least wake screen and go to lock screen for detection or have it charging for it to work.

Why do Samsung mess around with this stuff and for what reason other than annoy? Bixshit I am looking at you.

Yeah it ***** me aswell, same deal with my previous S7.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Down to 8% and just about 5 hours SOT all on LTE

c38ef1f84ddbeec3b71d31e52987b4e3.jpg

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
LTE murders the battery. It's quick, but not power efficient when in use (not going to get into the arguments of powerdrain vs 3g, 2g etc. I know that it's not black or white)

Google is an absolute massive resource hog for me and I don't use it really (I'm in Ireland, not the USA like yourself MRU so it don't work properly anyway). I find disabling the google app makes a huge difference to my battery life.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
LTE murders the battery. It's quick, but not power efficient when in use (not going to get into the arguments of powerdrain vs 3g, 2g etc. I know that it's not black or white)

Google is an absolute massive resource hog for me and I don't use it really (I'm in Ireland, not the USA like yourself MRU so it don't work properly anyway). I find disabling the google app makes a huge difference to my battery life.
Yeah, Sadly where I am at the moment for the weekend (remote part of Kerry) the 3 4G network is better than the Eir DSL the house has. Seriously DSL at less than 1mb here, rural broadband programme is a joke. (Seriously you'd get better speed on Skellig Michael) so the expense of battery for improved speed is a necessity at moment, but will be back home on Tuesday with my still poor, but better wifi broadband.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Does bxaction remap work on the lockscreen? It's not working for me on the lockescreen, but it does work when the device is unlocked.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Does bxaction remap work on the lockscreen? It's not working for me on the lockescreen, but it does work when the device is unlocked.
I believe the device has to be awake / unlocked for the Bixby workarounds to work.

When screen is off and device locked, the Bixby button only works for Bixby.

Reactions: HiDEF

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Hope it is real! There are a bunch of fake galaxies and iphones on my local craigslist

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Memory management is somewhere between the S6 & S7. It's certainly a step back from the Exynos S7 & S7E. I can barely keep 6 basic apps open before it refreshes the next. No intensive stuff either. Just Tapatalk, Samsung Internet with 1 tab, Messages, Dialer, Photos, Gallery, YouTube, Play Newstand, Gmail, Play Music.

The device is incapable of keeping all of those in memory ...

Something that is simply not a problem on the G6 or Pixel. Must say of all the things I like about the S8, that feels like a serious step back and a hindrance. Both my S7 & S7E had no trouble keeping those apps going as they are essentially my main goto apps on all devices.

Annoyingly system reports over 800mb free, so clearly it's just Samsung implementing rather lousy aggressive memory management once again akin to S6.

Frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: HiDEF and Roadstar

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Memory management is somewhere between the S6 & S7. It's certainly a step back from the Exynos S7 & S7E. I can barely keep 6 basic apps open before it refreshes the next. No intensive stuff either. Just Tapatalk, Samsung Internet with 1 tab, Messages, Dialer, Photos, Gallery, YouTube, Play Newstand, Gmail, Play Music.

The device is incapable of keeping all of those in memory ...

Something that is simply not a problem on the G6 or Pixel. Must say of all the things I like about the S8, that feels like a serious step back and a hindrance. Both my S7 & S7E had no trouble keeping those apps going as they are essentially my main goto apps on all devices.

Annoyingly system reports over 800mb free, so clearly it's just Samsung implementing rather lousy aggressive memory management once again akin to S6.

Frustrating.

What is the minimum free RAM?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
My Google widget randomly isn't rounded again. I noticed this time it happened when I changed themes but it's randomly happened other times too. Wondering if a good ole factory reset is in order. Everything else seems to be working fine though.
7be63bccda6c40a3f80d34ec47b45656.jpg

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What is the minimum free RAM?
Here is my memory usage and as you can see I have plenty of free ram. Yet I am still getting refreshing and the device is unable to switch beyond more than 6 of those 10 rather basic apps I listed without refreshing despite memory reporting lots of free.

Don't know where to get minimum ram from ...

c4503d439303c223788f70fef7c492bb.jpg

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Here is my memory usage and as you can see I have plenty of free ram. Yet I am still getting refreshing and the device is unable to switch beyond more than 6 of those 10 rather basic apps I listed without refreshing despite memory reporting lots of free.

Don't know where to get minimum ram from ...

c4503d439303c223788f70fef7c492bb.jpg

It's the free RAM when you have all the apps opened in the background.

I am also getting about 6-9 apps before some are refreshed. But the min RAM is still about 700mb no matter how many apps i opened in background. I think they wanted to keep the free RAM at around this level so apps have enough during runtime. So apps are unloaded instead.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Just started using this so far so good. One thing that's frustrating me is that I can't get Samsung Pay to work on the Gear S3 watch.

Both devices are from the US and I've been up all night trying to figure out how to make it work. Samsung Pay works in some regions but since both are from a place that supports it there should be no practice problem unless Samsung stupidly left out the unlocked models out. Pay works fine on the phone itself though. WTF

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's the free RAM when you have all the apps opened in the background.

I am also getting about 6-9 apps before some are refreshed. But the min RAM is still about 700mb no matter how many apps i opened in background. I think they wanted to keep the free RAM at around this level so apps have enough during runtime. So apps are unloaded instead.

Whatever the reason, it is still a solution and one that plagued the S6 series and sub-par for a device in 2017.

Android 7.1.1 if it ever arrives best fix this or it will be the reason why I get rid of the device. Apps reloading as often make the device feel slower than it ever should.

The S7/S7E Exynos didn't have the issue.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Whatever the reason, it is still a solution and one that plagued the S6 series and sub-par for a device in 2017.

Android 7.1.1 if it ever arrives best fix this or it will be the reason why I get rid of the device. Apps reloading as often make the device feel slower than it ever should.

Anyway many apps refresh themselves when they become active or new data comes in so it doesn't bother me that much whether they stay in the background or not.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Anyway many apps refresh themselves when they become active or new data comes in so it doesn't bother me that much whether they stay in the background or not.

Again that's making a pardon, for something that simply shouldn't be and isn't on devices with similar or lesser specs and with just as heavy OEM skin. Also, there is a difference between content refresh and app reload.

I see no reason for a device to champion itself as the fastest and then perform with a rather big handicap.

Samsung do need to fix this. We all deserve better than this, regardless.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

I wonder if this is causing the lag my husband showed me on his S8+ last night when we were talking about our phones at dinner. We had stopped at a restaurant after a day of shopping at a mall for gifts school staff, and he said over time he has started to struggle with lag. He showed me the inexcusable delay it took for Samsung Pay to come up along with a few other native and downloaded apps lagging.

He didn't seem to have more than two apps loaded at a time when he demonstrated the lag to me. The lag was noticeable even to me. So he definitely wasn't being picky. Sadly he's got some annoying lag going on. :(

We both have the dreaded animation lag that I complained about before. I briefly got rid of it but it returned. I have grown used to it so I just leave it be. The animation lag is a completely separate issue from the app lag, but it contributes to a very jarring experience when the two are combined.

My husband uses his S8+ as his only phone and uses it extensively through the day. He would like to go back to his iPhone while he works through troubleshooting this lag issue, but ironically is now trapped in the Samsung ecosystem, because he loves his Frontier watch. He's got it set up beautifully to give him all the alerts and notifications he could want and very detailed sleep and health tracking. He definitely has bought into the smart watch concept but is not a fan of Apple's execution of it. He rarely wore his Apple Watch consistently but there is always a Samsung watch on his wrist now. Most often it's the Frontier, but he still wears the free Gear S2 Sport we got from AT&T.

He's also experiencing accelerated battery consumption compared to what he was seeing when the phone was newer.

I do not have any issues at the moment but I'm using the S8+ as a camera, Kindle e reader, telephone. I also surf the web, do most of my emails and read a little bit of news. I normally play hidden object and puzzle games on Android but I have not had time or energy lately. That's very light usage compared to my husband's. I am also using my iPhone. I flip between the two phones all day long. All messaging is now done through my iPhone.

Which reminds me, one day an entire series of texts I sent from my iPhone failed to reach his phone. But the test ones we sent to each other when he got home made it through fine. We have no clue what happened there. :confused:

He uses Facebook and news apps and his financial services apps. Plus a large variety of office productivity apps and one or two health and fitness apps. He does a lot with his phone so it's going to be tough tracking down any ornery apps.

I wont touch FB. And news apps cause me the most headaches on iOS and Android. I think it might be site ads that crash my apps and clog my browser whenever I surf for news.

Reactions: M5RahuL and MRU

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Again that's making a pardon, for something that simply shouldn't be and isn't on devices with similar or lesser specs and with just as heavy OEM skin. Also, there is a difference between content refresh and app reload.

I see no reason for a device to champion itself as the fastest and then perform with a rather big handicap.

Samsung do need to fix this. We all deserve better than this, regardless.

Agree with you. They should increase the number of background process.

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.