Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Welp, after a month and a half, I finally had my first battery issue. My battery drained 50% overnight die to Google Play Services. No idea why. Rebooting and going that doesn't continue.

Did you install kwgt widget maker which was on $0 offer for limited time?

I installed it and it caused battery drain

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Did you install kwgt widget maker which was on $0 offer for limited time?

I installed it and it caused battery drain
I wonder if that's it. I started using Nova again last night. And I have KWGT Widget installed too. I'm also wondering if the fact that I'm using labs in Nova to show weather in my Google Widget is also affecting my Google Widget on TW Launcher. I just switched back to TW and had Weather showing right under the widget.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I wonder if that's it. I started using Nova again last night. And I have KWGT Widget installed too. I'm also wondering if the fact that I'm using labs in Nova to show weather in my Google Widget is also affecting my Google Widget on TW Launcher. I just switched back to TW and had Weather showing right under the widget.

I have a KWGT weather widget on my Nova homescreen and don't have any crazy battery drain, FWIW.

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I am thinking of doing a good ole factory reset. I don't have any major issues but I've downloaded so much stuff and it might be good to just stay fresh.

Does anyone know if doing so would delete all the contents from my sd card?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I am thinking of doing a good ole factory reset. I don't have any major issues but I've downloaded so much stuff and it might be good to just stay fresh.

Does anyone know if doing so would delete all the contents from my sd card?

I think it gives you the option to do that as well in the factory reset. But if you don't want that done, just eject it before you do the FR.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

Samsung has stupidly disabled getting process info (like wakelock/cpu usage) directly without root. But you can indirectly get this info via battery stats. You can use something like gsamBatteryMonitor. But you need to grant BATTERY_STAT permission to the app via ADB from PC first so the app can get all the extended usage details. This is how I discover kwgt keeps waking up the phone causing battery drain.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Has anyone experience motion blur with the S8 camera? I've notice that it doesn't catch slightly moving objects well; or is it the photographer? :p

Anyway, would still love to hear from some of you how the camera is performing with moving objects.
I took a lot of photos with both my iPhone and my S8+ during my cross country trip a couple of weeks ago. I've had too much chaos and exhaustion getting ready for graduation celebrations and such so I haven't had time to review and compare all of the shots. I took pics of kids in motion which I can't share due to privacy reasons but I'll get back to you on the results I've had after I've had time to look over the pictures.

Just going off what I remember, I think my iPhone far outperformed the S8+ on motion in indoor lighting and they were evenly matched in bright sunlight.

I did record a graduation ceremony on my S8+ a couple of days ago. I won't be doing that sort of thing again. The stereo mic picks up too much sound coming from the sides and rear. So the speeches were hard to hear but whispers from the crowd and applause were too loud.

I prefer the results I got from my S7 Edge in similar conditions (recording a school holiday event) to be really honest. I've done a lot of comparisons on the audio results from my S7 and S7 Edge and I found the stereo mics on those phones to give me better sound than I've been getting on my S8+. By better sound I mean greater clarity of voices and less muddiness in all sources of ambient sound. However I would not put too much stock in my results, because a sample size of one means exactly nothing and someone else's S8+ might be much better. At some point I hope to review the sound on the video my husband has taken on his S8+. The problem is that he doesn't often take video and he's so busy it's hard to get at his phone.

So anyway, if I don't end up getting a Note 8, in the future, I will record similar events that take place up on a stage with my iPhone 7 Plus and my Shure plug in stereo mic that lets me omit noises from the side and back of the phone. Because, yeah, it was a cluster cluck of a result I got and unless I learn how to edit the audio channels, my recording of the event will be annoying to watch and listen to. I am pretty grumpy about that. Fortunately, the graduation was also recorded by a pro and I can get a copy from him.

Sorry, I know this isn't what you asked. I'm just putting the info out there in case anyone is interested or got entirely different results and conclusions from their own experiences.

Everything else about my S8+ has been fine so far. I've done nothing too demanding on it. Now that I'm back home I split my time pretty evenly between my iPhone 7 Plus and my S8+. All is well with both.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Has anyone experience motion blur with the S8 camera? I've notice that it doesn't catch slightly moving objects well; or is it the photographer? :p

Anyway, would still love to hear from some of you how the camera is performing with moving objects.

my S8 doesn't do well with motion (i.e. trying to take pictures of my 21 month old daughter who never stops moving). I find it helps if I use the "sports shot" mode for the camera. This mode does better with motion blur than "Auto", IMO, but mainly in good lighting.

to access, open the camera, swipe the screen left to right to reveal the modes page, then click the + at the top right to add the "sports shot" mode.

https://imgur.com/a/9cq5X

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973 and HiDEF

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So last week I was admiring my Samsung Alcantara case on my S8 and telling my wife how much I loved it.

1 hour later, dropped phone from 1 metre onto concrete at a petrol station.

It landed face down. Like a cat.

The screen protector did its job, and the case protected the phone. Zero damage to my S8!

Alas, there is a small scar on the case but instead of irking me, I view it as a battle scar of victory. Thank you, case.
I dropped mine already and had it less than a day. Slipped out my jacket pocket onto a tiled surface but thankfully no marks as it landed on its back side. Seriously it's one very slippery phone.

Very nice .... But very slippery.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I think phones like the Pixel and non jet black iPhones are extremely slippery compared to the S8.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Also, whatever my battery issue was has been solved after uninstalling Nova Launcher. I wonder if the Weather in the Google widget through it off. What's weird is that my Google widget on TW launcher is still jacked up. Not sure why it doesn't look the way it's supposed to.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Last year on my wife's S7 she had insane battery drain and it was down to Google Chrome.

She switched to Samsung Internet Browser, uninstalled Chrome and hey presto.

You can't run away from Chrome as long as you use Google services - all of them make use of the embedded Chrome browser.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
You can't run away from Chrome as long as you use Google services - all of them make use of the embedded Chrome browser.

That's what I thought too but here we are, 8 months later, and my wife literally hasn't even got Chrome installed on her S7.

And she's very happy with the Samsung browser.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
By the way, how's reception in the S8? If OnePlus 5 turns out to be disappointing, I might go for the S8 instead. However, since only single SIM models are sold here, I'd need it to have a good reception to make out the best from my crappy carrier's network. To my surprise my S7 Edge was actually beaten by my iPhone 7 in that department, so it would be nice to know if the S8 has improved things.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
By the way, how's reception in the S8? If OnePlus 5 turns out to be disappointing, I might go for the S8 instead. However, since only single SIM models are sold here, I'd need it to have a good reception to make out the best from my crappy carrier's network. To my surprise my S7 Edge was actually beaten by my iPhone 7 in that department, so it would be nice to know if the S8 has improved things.

Reception is amazing. Much better than on my iPhone. The s8 signal strength is also more accurate than on my iPhone. My iPhone will still show service in areas where there clearly isn't. The s8 will at least show low or no bars in bad areas so I'm informed.

Generally, signal strength is great. Another win for glass design.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It's been great for me so far. My iPhone 7 Plus is so unreliable as a phone I could weep. My iPhone 7 Plus seems okay if it is naked, but it seems like it's very difficult to find a case that doesn't mess with calls. Usually I can hear my callers just fine but they can't hear me. It's not a mic problem from what I can tell. It's that my outgoing transmission gets choppy.

This is an issue that has plagued me on most of my iPhones. If memory serves me, my 6s Plus was okay. Not great but okay.

I don't know what the deal is with the iPhone. My HTC 10 has an aluminum body with plastic antenna lines and it is the best phone for clear outgoing and incoming calls I have ever used. Yet it, like the S7 and S7 Edge, has lower SAR ratings than an iPhone.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I got a 645mb update taking me to May security update on mine anyway.

Annoyingly then, you've got the UK/Ireland XEU version, while I have th eUK BTU version and haven't had this update yet.

Also, just to add to my previous batter comment, its still rubbish.

Since my post I've factory reset and then restored from backup and calibrated the battery nothing is making a different and I'm not getting anything like the numbers on here or XDA.

Currently have 39% left. Its been off charge for 8 hr 37 mins and SOT is 2 hr 14m

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.