Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
BTW, love the 64GB standard. I am getting a free microSD card from Samsung's Entertainment Kit offer, but I don't even feel like I need it. But it's nice knowing I can add storage if I want to down the line.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Applied the Spigen Neo screen protector. It's one of the TPU style WET application ones. It went on fairly easy (watched some YouTube vids beforehand) so giving it some time to settle and fully adhere (they recommend 12 hours) but it looks well now and isn't too spongey or tacky feeling that some of these style protectors are. Clarity also seems very good. I'll post pics tomorrow after it's fully settled.

The Spigen Thin Case (Orchid grey) is meh! It's ok but the official one is much nicer so I'll be using that one mostly.

Nice to see a lot of my themes I had downloaded or purchased work with just a couple of them having glitches.

Haven't quite found a screen mode I fully like.

Adaptive Display is just too saturated and artificial for me, and the Basic mode introduces a red cast that can not be adjusted for.

So at moment using adaptive photo.

I do notice the launcher does have some framerate stutters especially going in and out of the app drawer. It's like the phone drops frames. At this stage my G6 feels smoother navigating the GUI. Pixel smoother than either.

I'll likely end up throwing Nova or ASAP on there.

Too soon to judge anything else. It's much of what I expected. When get some nice weather (it's torrid here at moment) I'll take some photos and experiment with the camera.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
TMO S8/8+ are getting an update....

80179df9469108353c28c5f437c46b4a.jpg

Installing now

9d55591269dd0ba69abba745aa0a9ebd.jpg

Reactions: epicrayban

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Has anyone experience motion blur with the S8 camera? I've notice that it doesn't catch slightly moving objects well; or is it the photographer? :p

Anyway, would still love to hear from some of you how the camera is performing with moving objects.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nova installed and all smooth. Whilst not terrible the persistent feeling of frame rate drops in the standard launcher going in and out of app drawer really annoyed me, like a screaming Banshee.

Now Nova is installed everything is very smooth as it should be.

Not sure what Samsung were or are doing with their own experience launcher ... (And my issue seems mostly with the transition o app drawer).

Haven't setup Bixby AT ALL. I mean what's the point ? Especially in Ireland. So Bixby remapper has that button switched to GOOGLE NOW.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I'm due an upgrade on a line, seriously finding it hard to resist the s8+ at this moment. I keep thinking that I'll just go and have a litttle look.......

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Nova installed and all smooth. Whilst not terrible the persistent feeling of frame rate drops in the standard launcher going in and out of app drawer really annoyed me, like a screaming Banshee.

Now Nova is installed everything is very smooth as it should be.

Not sure what Samsung were or are doing with their own experience launcher ... (And my issue seems mostly with the transition o app drawer).

Haven't setup Bixby AT ALL. I mean what's the point ? Especially in Ireland. So Bixby remapper has that button switched to GOOGLE NOW.

I think touchwiz tries to be lean. I think Samsung uses the same code-base in all their other phones so it can't be over-excessive in resource consumption. I am using TSF and it is super smooth even with 3D transitions. Why? Because it caches everything in RAM just like Nova (and uses the 3D engine a lot). Just go and check the RAM usage of these launchers and you see usage is much higher than Touchwiz. Plus they use more battery as well.

Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I thought the default launcher was amazing. Except for one tiny thing: the app drawer wasn't a scroll. It was paginated left-right. Makes no sense after sliding up for the app drawer; it should continue scrolling, just like the Pixel launcher.

Couldn't abide by that, so Nova.

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
Just got a warranty replacement for my S8+ and the new device has absolutely no red tint nor along the edges like my first device had. I didn't even have to use the sliders to get rid of it. Even when tilting the device, the color of the screen stays the same with no red tint effect. I guess my first device really had a screen defect.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Another tip to share with you.

If you use public/unstable wifi a lot, you may want to turn on "aggressive switching" in Wifi - Advanced settings.
It will save battery you battery.

Reactions: epicrayban

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Looks like the gorgeous Arctic Silver variant of the S8 has found its way to the UK. Exclusive to EE (shudder).

In my opinion, one of the best colour combos with the black front.

Why they don't just make them all available day one is beyond me.

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Looks like the gorgeous Arctic Silver variant of the S8 has found its way to the UK. Exclusive to EE (shudder).

Yep. Especially buying direct from Samsung, how they can't offer all variations directly is a mystery.

Reactions: Aneres11

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

But this color is like white. I thought white already gone out of favor.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
But this color is like white. I thought white already gone out of favor.

Like white? Not to my eyes it isn't.
If it's anything like the platinum S7 / S7E then it'll be dazzling.
By far the nicest colour choice in my opinion.

Reactions: 5105973

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Welp, after a month and a half, I finally had my first battery issue. My battery drained 50% overnight die to Google Play Services. No idea why. Rebooting and going that doesn't continue.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Just sold my iPhone 7 and now deciding between S8+ or iPhone 7 Plus or wait and see what comes next!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Welp, after a month and a half, I finally had my first battery issue. My battery drained 50% overnight die to Google Play Services. No idea why. Rebooting and going that doesn't continue.
It's one of the joys of android. It can be a needle in a haystack ranging from an app update installation going array to a myriad other background services related to play services including syncing any of the Google apps. Thankfully a reboot does normally resolve these issues, but yeah still irksome.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Any new apps? I also use battery optimizations. This way it will stop any app that consumes too much of my battery.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So last week I was admiring my Samsung Alcantara case on my S8 and telling my wife how much I loved it.

1 hour later, dropped phone from 1 metre onto concrete at a petrol station.

It landed face down. Like a cat.

The screen protector did its job, and the case protected the phone. Zero damage to my S8!

Alas, there is a small scar on the case but instead of irking me, I view it as a battle scar of victory. Thank you, case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.