Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I would guess after Apples lame 10.4, I mean iOS 11 preview, that iPhone fans on the fence going to Android, will absolutely jump ship now to Android, after today major disappointing preview.

No. 99.9% of IOS users are not folks on forums or WDC conference watchers.

They like the phone they have and iOS by extension.

Predictions of mass exodus are simply silly. There is a reason Apple sells 50 million phones or so a year, and it isn't because folks are all waiting to jump ship.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
No. 99.9% of IOS users are not folks on forums or WDC conference watchers.

They like the phone they have and iOS by extension.

Predictions of mass exodus are simply silly. There is a reason Apple sells 50 million phones or so a year, and it isn't because folks are all waiting to jump ship.

Good point, but of course I was talking to the tech crowd, specifically here. Not the grandparents or teenagers that buy iPhone's, who are the majority of people that actually like the phone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Good point, but of course I was talking to the tech crowd, specifically here. Not the grandparents or teenagers that buy iPhone's, who are the majority of people that actually like the phone.

But you are so vastly generalising here and there is just no evidence that only teenagers and grandparents are iPhone users or make up the majority. In a forum packed with blanket sweeping statements, you are just adding another layer of silliness onto your previous statement which was already bathing in a pool of silly.

What you are actually saying is as a user who dislikes iOS, nothing in iOS 11 changed your dislike. Which to be fair is not really surprising. But to say your opinion reflects every iOS user or even specifically just those more interested in tech is just wrong.

IOS 11 will have far less an impact on changing or moving users from iOS to other Android devices than what will invariably impact it, and that being ultimately Price as it increases ever higher each year.

The rest of this grandstanding going on in the forum since wwdc is just forum postulation.

Last edited:

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
So I finally ordered another S8+ after my mishap last month. I am on T-Mobile but ordered the Verizon variant from Samsung because I got a $250 discount for sending them some random android phone that is really old.

Can't wait to get it! Should get it Thursday or Friday. Hopefully I can easily flash the T-Mobile or unlocked Rom.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
So I finally ordered another S8+ after my mishap last month. I am on T-Mobile but ordered the Verizon variant from Samsung because I got a $250 discount for sending them some random android phone that is really old.

Can't wait to get it! Should get it Thirsdaynor Friday. Hopefully I can easily flash the T-Mobile or unlocked Rom.
So congrats again :D

Reactions: FFR and Demo Kit

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Same for the unlocked version. Still no sign. Samsung pulling a Samsung...

With that price tag you'd think they'd prioritize fast updates a bit more. Maybe I'll wait to see what the OnePlus 5 is like before making any purchase decisions. If Samsung were better with updates, I think I'd be running an S8 already.

Reactions: epicrayban

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
With that price tag you'd think they'd prioritize fast updates a bit more. Maybe I'll wait to see what the OnePlus 5 is like before making any purchase decisions. If Samsung were better with updates, I think I'd be running an S8 already.

The updates dont really do much except fix some bugs or security holes. Anyway, the phone has a virus/malware scanner (which runs every night) so it should be able to detect these known bad apps by their signature. For me, I usually don't update unless the updates bring functionalities I needed or fix some bugs that are affecting me. Otherwise, I don't bother with updates when my phone is running great and risk the updates breaking things instead

Reactions: Demo Kit

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
The updates dont really do much except fix some bugs or security holes. Anyway, the phone has a virus/malware scanner (which runs every night) so it should be able to detect these known bad apps by their signature. For me, I usually don't update unless the updates bring functionalities I needed or fix some bugs that are affecting me. Otherwise, I don't bother with updates when my phone is running great and risk the updates breaking things instead

Well, when it comes to security, I prefer a proactive approach (i.e. patching security holes) instead of a reactive one (using a virus scanner).

Reactions: ecr80

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Well, when it comes to security, I prefer a proactive approach (i.e. patching security holes) instead of a reactive one (using a virus scanner).

After the current security holes been patched there may many more undiscovered ones. It is an unending cycles. I don't foolishly lose much sleep over it. I don't have much in phone that's worth stealing anyway. For those secure online transactions (bank, cc etc), there is always 2FA so it is quite secure. Other confidential info, I put in Secure Folder protected by Knox so I worry less there too.

Reactions: Demo Kit

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
After the current security holes been patched there may many more undiscovered ones. It is an unending cycles. I don't foolishly lose much sleep over it. I don't have much in phone that's worth stealing anyway. For those secure online transactions (bank, cc etc), there is always 2FA so it is quite secure. Other confidential info, I put in Secure Folder protected by Knox so I worry less there too.

It doesn't matter if there are always more, that's an excuse not an answer.

When a company go on record and commit to monthly security updates, then quite simply there should be monthly updates. Anything less is a failure of delivery on that commitment.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
It doesn't matter if there are always more, that's an excuse not an answer.

When a company go on record and commit to monthly security updates, then quite simply there should be monthly updates. Anything less is a failure of delivery on that commitment.

I remember reading it is monthly or quarterly so not sure which is which.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I remember reading it is monthly or quarterly so not sure which is which.

They committed to monthly. It's time for them to " or get off the pot " in this regard.
--

"We have now resolved the challenges,” Samsung’s security team wrote in an email to ZDNet. “We are committed to releasing security updates for those devices on a monthly basis."

--
This is an ongoing issue for all Android device owners regardless. Hopefully with Android O or future Android, Google solve the issue of taking OEM's out of the picture when it comes to security patches at least.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
They committed to monthly. It's time for them to " or get off the pot " in this regard.
--

"We have now resolved the challenges,” Samsung’s security team wrote in an email to ZDNet. “We are committed to releasing security updates for those devices on a monthly basis."

--
This is an ongoing issue for all Android device owners regardless. Hopefully with Android O or future Android, Google solve the issue of taking OEM's out of the picture when it comes to security patches at least.

Indeed. If they're committed to monthly updates, they should deliver them instead of giving empty promises. They have killer hardware, so it's about time they stop ruining the package by neglecting software maintenance especially when security is concerned.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have always seen you as a fair and respectable person but cmon man that is such a terrible generalisation

The update wasn't groundbreaking but I don't think it needed to be. IOS is perfectly fine as it is. Are there any features on android that I wish iPhone had? Not really. It's a software update that has added some nice features and some that don't matter.

Is it going to change the way I use my phone? No. So why should this update put people off? What it does it does well. The real improvements was via iPad.

Loads of techy people love the iPhone me included. Most professional workers will use the iPhone, parents and normal adults love using the iPhone. Same with android.

Apple wouldn't sell what they did based on teenagers and grandparents alone. Yes it's ideal for them due to how it works but people love the product due to what it gives them through all devices.

There are positives and negatives with both Apple and android. Just because you can make android how you want doesn't mean those people are more techy than those with Apple products. Do I use my iPhone any different to my previous android devices? No. I use it pretty much the same.

Anyway sorry back on topic

Just bought my dad the wireless stand and got to admit I hope Apple bring this out. Perfect for on the go and at home. Not cheap but worth it.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
The update wasn't groundbreaking but I don't think it needed to be. IOS is perfectly fine as it is. Are there any features on android that I wish iPhone had? Not really. It's a software update that has added some nice features and some that don't matter.

Is it going to change the way I use my phone? No. So why should this update put people off? What it does it does well. The real improvements was via iPad.

Well of course the situation is different for everyone and in different regions iPhone has a broader feature set available. For me the update was a disappointment as it really didn't address any shortcomings iOS has in my use compared to Android. If I lived in a country that supports Apple Pay, the gap wouldn't be as wide, but there are still limitations related to default apps etc. Even though many iOS apps are still a little bit more polished than Android counterparts, the gap is getting quite narrow and not wide enough to counter the functional advantages Android has for my use. But of course this depends on personal preferences.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Indeed. If they're committed to monthly updates, they should deliver them instead of giving empty promises. They have killer hardware, so it's about time they stop ruining the package by neglecting software maintenance especially when security is concerned.
Well I have my updates so there :p :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

It's one of the few last things they need to get right.

Reactions: Roadstar

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
But you are so vastly generalising here and there is just no evidence that only teenagers and grandparents are iPhone users or make up the majority. In a forum packed with blanket sweeping statements, you are just adding another layer of silliness onto your previous statement which was already bathing in a pool of silly.

What you are actually saying is as a user who dislikes iOS, nothing in iOS 11 changed your dislike. Which to be fair is not really surprising. But to say your opinion reflects every iOS user or even specifically just those more interested in tech is just wrong.

IOS 11 will have far less an impact on changing or moving users from iOS to other Android devices than what will invariably impact it, and that being ultimately Price as it increases ever higher each year.

The rest of this grandstanding going on in the forum since wwdc is just forum postulation.

All of this is spot on, but I'd also like to add I've always disagreed with folks who think saying something is used by "grandparents and teens" is an insult.

The best tech is supposed to make things accessible. It is not meant to be a club that only a few can understand and enjoy. I think it's a huge compliment to Apple that grandparents can use their stuff. That shows how advanced the software is, not the other way around.

I am one of the folks disappointed in iOS 11's showing for the iPhone, but it's still an advanced, fantastic platform.

Reactions: Roadstar and MRU

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Did anyone check out the "share as a link" option in share menu?

It allows you to upload up to 1 Gb per file to a server which can be then be picked up by anyone you share the link with within a 24 hours period. Not sure who operates the files depository server but this shows Samsung did go the extra mile to make s8 be more functional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.