Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I just though it may just be staggered release to save impact on servers :)

I do note that I was surprised when changing the primary sim between different country operators the S8's completely rebooted and altered the CSC codes and Samsung Pay similarly altered.

So there does appear some better standardisation or adaptability in the S8's now to be automatically more country specific even the little freebees between countries altered one minute I had free UAE offers the next it shifted to Thai for example, none for UK sim and probably Ireland too
Some firmwares do have multiple CSC's that are triggered by the SIM, operator.

I just wish all android devices / OEM's followed apple's way of pushing out updates and followed the way Apple makes a true intranational device without boundaries like region codes.

Last edited:

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Well that was strange

I bought the S8 only a few days after release then a week later got the S8+ and gave the S8 to my wife

My S8+ got the May update about a week back the wife S8 only got the update today and both are international versions

What made you go for the S8 Plus and not keep the regular version?

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
I could've easily stretched it out to 8 hours too, most wifi browsing with some LTE browsing, Bluetooth streaming, and YouTube.

gpIm867.png

vuqhdAM.png

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Question: is there a photo app that handles editing like apple? Example: when I crop an image, it saves it as a copy. Where in iOS, it's the same image and you can always revert back to the original.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Question: is there a photo app that handles editing like apple? Example: when I crop an image, it saves it as a copy. Where in iOS, it's the same image and you can always revert back to the original.
Google Photos should do that.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Most of the better apps do that like Photoshop touch which are also free :)

Opps my bad sorry you don't want it as a separate image but a hidden undo type feature as the file must still be there in IOS to revert

Just tried Google photos and that does save the original photo info and is possible to revert without duplication, to revert just go to the previous edited and saved image to edit, select edit again and select undoing edits, then save again

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-photos-non-destructive-reversible-photo-editing-682691/

Also works for edits on edits that have been saved

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It isn't working for me.

It saves a copy and in a folder titled "Photoseditor"

Yes I have the same folder but it only contains an image I had played with over a month back with some other app

I tried google photos also edit google photos with photoshop touch and even straight edit from stock gallery app nothing was writing to photoeditor directory

Maybe you have some other photo app loaded that's making this happen or it was a fix in May update if you have not received it ?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Yes I have the same folder but it only contains an image I had played with over a month back with some other app

I tried google photos also edit google photos with photoshop touch and even straight edit from stock gallery app nothing was writing to photoeditor directory

Maybe you have some other photo app loaded that's making this happen or it was a fix in May update if you have not received it ?
I have the latest update (June 1st) of Google Photos.

It's still not working for me.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Damn, didn't make a huge difference besides about 30 more with FHD right?
Yeah. But remember, YMMV; I might use my phone differently from you.

I consider myself an average user. I don't game, just mostly social media, email, videos.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Just came back from a long weekend trip and the S8 was an absolute beast.

-Amazing battery life. Even during long stretches on the road, it just lasted.
-Amazing camera. SO many people liked the photos that came out of the S8. It got to the point where when we were taking group shots together, friends would say "use epicrayban's camera." No one brought up or complained that the results were oversaturated or anything of the sort. In fact, everyone loved how vibrant the results looked and would ask me to send it to them, too.
-It got a little rugged out there and I loved that I was able to wash my phone. Full waterproofing makes life easier. Pay attention, OnePlus, Google, HTC, etc.
-Also held signal incredibly well. Another win for glass.

I could go on, but the gist is that it was just an awesome experience with the S8. No hiccups, simple, reliable, and generally amazing results from camera (just point and shoot, nothing complicated) and battery life.

Once again, the most worry-free smartphone.

Last edited:

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Sorry I was referring to the Android May update not Google Photos :)

you're on a S8, correct?
[doublepost=1496692553][/doublepost]This non-destructive editing not working is really bothering me. These are the little things I wonder if Samsung is holding us back or is it a widespread issue among other devices/manufactures.

I've been looking for an excuses to ditch Samsung and go back to iPhone and this might do it--well, at least for now until Pixel 2 is announced.

EDIT: Can anyone else test this with Google Photos? Edit the photo with GP and check if a duplicate was created or it was saved as non destructive.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
you're on a S8, correct?
[doublepost=1496692553][/doublepost]This non-destructive editing not working is really bothering me. These are the little things I wonder if Samsung is holding us back or is it a widespread issue among other devices/manufactures.

I've been looking for an excuses to ditch Samsung and go back to iPhone and this might do it--well, at least for now until Pixel 2 is announced.

EDIT: Can anyone else test this with Google Photos? Edit the photo with GP and check if a duplicate was created or it was saved as non destructive.

I'll test...

EDIT: In Google Photos, mine does it like iPhone. Keeps the same copy and just overwrites it. I can go back in and reset the crop

EDIT 2: imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/4d2bs

EDIT 3: I just cropped, what edit feature are you trying that is making a new copy? I can try that method too...

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I'll test...

EDIT: In Google Photos, mine does it like iPhone. Keeps the same copy and just overwrites it. I can go back in and reset the crop

EDIT 2: imgur link: https://imgur.com/a/4d2bs

EDIT 3: I just cropped, what edit feature are you trying that is making a new copy? I can try that method too...

I'm using the camera app to shoot. I go into GP and use the little pencil tool to edit. When done editing, I hit save and its just creates a copy in a folder titled PhotoEditor, therefore, having a duplicate... This is so strange.

Edit: this happens with all forms of editing; cropping, applying filters, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.