Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Who is monitoring the sweepstakes/bets ?

My Orchid Grey Unlocked S8 arrives Wed next ......... ;)

Will rock it with my LG G6 for a while and then see which I prefer and will hold onto. There's nothing particularly wrong with my G6, except wanderlust from myself.

Don't you have an iPhone too?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Who is monitoring the sweepstakes/bets ?

My Orchid Grey Unlocked S8 arrives Wed next ......... ;)

Will rock it with my LG G6 for a while and then see which I prefer and will hold onto. There's nothing particularly wrong with my G6, except wanderlust from myself.

nice! you'll love it! Figured this day would come sooner rather than later ;)

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Yes and a Google Pixel but I'm keeping those regardless.

How do you juggle all the phones with keep message, photos etc up to date?

I love the iPhone and s8 Plus but struggling to juggle both as I'm mostly in the Apple Eco system.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
How do you juggle all the phones with keep message, photos etc up to date?

I love the iPhone and s8 Plus but struggling to juggle both as I'm mostly in the Apple Eco system.
App lineup is much same on all devices with Google services unifying things like Photos and Music.

However, I dedicate my iPhone as my main work phone with my main work mobile number so I use that most for calls and texts with people and for answering email. My Android Phones I use my other spare SIM card (mostly for data access) and swap between them. Mostly for media consumption and photos / camera, Music etc...

I have no problems then juggling between any of them as I have continuity messaging/email/calls with the iPhone.

I think it's safer to choose 1 device to do those tasks and stick with it to prevent issues juggling.

Reactions: 5105973

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
App lineup is much same on all devices with Google services unifying things like Photos and Music.

iPhone is my main work phone with my work mobile number so I use that most for calls and texts and my Android Phones I use my other SIM card and swap between them. Mostly for media consumption and photos / camera.

I have no problems juggling between any of them.

I want to make the same move and unify my services. Currently I have a Me email address but do have the same gmail addresses so it wouldn't be too difficult. I also use family sharing for iCloud calendars and Apple Music.

What about what's app, can you have one WA account across two devices?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I want to make the same move and unify my services. Currently I have a Me email address but do have the same gmail addresses so it wouldn't be too difficult. I also use family sharing for iCloud calendars and Apple Music.

I must be one of the few peeps who doesn't actually use WA. I use facebook messenger as the only other alternative to imessage/sms messaging.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I must be one of the few peeps who doesn't actually use WA. I use facebook messenger as the only other alternative to imessage/sms messaging.

That's what probably makes switching a lot easier. Most of my friends/family use iMessage and WA.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I did. I'm going to return my Verizon variant. It has bad pink on all edges (event top and bottom) with red turned off on all the color sliders. This unlocked phone's screen is perfect. I haven't even had to touch the color sliders. Performance wise, feels a little snappier/quicker than my VZW version but the VZW was mostly fluid and smooth. I'll definitely be keeping the unlocked version for now, I'm just scared about future updates. We'll see if Samsung delivers. If not, I would likely flash the VZW firmware on it to get future software updates/features.
[doublepost=1496411650][/doublepost]

Did you change the DPI in the developer settings?
I didn't. It's so weird. I've only heard of one other person on Reddit having this issue and they ended up factory resetting the phone.

I'm not going to do that though. It's not a deal breaker and everything else is ruining smooth.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

I wish I could I ignore WA completelely. However, my hockey team uses it for group chat so I pretty much have to have it. As a result I'm now waiting for the OnePlus 5 as Samsung doesn't seem to want to sell their dual-SIM flagships in Finland. I guess 0e from me and many others makes more sense than officially selling the dual-SIM model here. I mean who doesn't love handing out business to competitors when you have the hardware but simply refuse to sell it in the market.

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Your me email should have no bearing on which phone your using :) I don't have issues with me.com

You can trick WA to use 2 devices 1 as it should be and the other via your browser but both have to be in close proximity

I suspect you can still sych your Icloud and sharing but will have to be done via your laptop from one cloud account to another not as neat but doable :D I synch my Icloud with outlook for most issues but do not use any sharing options so not tried that out, sorry

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Battery life on the S8+ is great for an Android phone. Ive not got less then 6 hours SOT and usually get closer to 8 hours. Couple that with the great camera, gorgeous screen and snappy performance and this is the best phone you can buy right now imo.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Battery life on the S8+ is great for an Android phone. Ive not got less then 6 hours SOT and usually get closer to 8 hours. Couple that with the great camera, gorgeous screen and snappy performance and this is the best phone you can buy right now imo.
my experiences as well. I get between 6.5 and 8 hours SOT on a regular basis. The S8+ gets the same battery life as my iphone 7+ with a bigger screen to power.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I came very close to buying the S8 to try but I stopped myself. As I was thinking about it I get these group imessages and I am reminded what i will loose if I switch. I know I should not totally care what other people use but me switching would mess up the group lol.

Gotta give it to apple, they really nailed imessage.
We (husband kids and I) were traveling with a school group last week and my husband used his S8+ exclusively while I used my iPhone 7 Plus as that is what the other parents are used to contacting me on. He got most of the group texts via SMS. I got most via iMessage. One of the other parents was also on a Samsung S6 I think it was. Her texts came through to the group. My husband got some texts that I didn't get and I got some that he missed. We didn't have enough time to sleuth out why that was. At any rate, looking at those results I can't say that his lacking iMessage put him at a significant disadvantage nor myself at an advantage. Thank goodness both of us together got all of the texts that had been sent. All the texts were just words and didn't include stickers or gifs or pictures or videos so we didn't miss iMessage bells and whistles that enable those things to be sent with great ease.

The iMessages were a total cluster cluck because each time an original message went out to the group each reply spawned a separate text thread. I don't even want to look at that mess right now to delete it.

I hope this post makes sense. lol, I'm back on the coffee habit I kicked before I left and the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet.
[doublepost=1496501023][/doublepost]
Today I encountered runaway system app(s) causing the phone to lag and heat up. Kill all the user apps but cpu is still at high usage.

No choice but to restart. Anyone has experience this?
I haven't, but my husband says he gets them from time to time. They don't heat the phone up but they drain his battery fast and cause lag. He has hundreds of apps though. I have about 40 I think.

My S8+ runs smooth as silk but I do get some animation lag going from an app back to home screen.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I ordered the regular S8 and it should arrive on Wednesday next week . Would have arrived sooner but Bank Holiday weekend in Ireland so no postal services till Tuesday.

Orchid Gray? And knew you would hop on eventually haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.