Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I have both the IP7 Plus and S8+. I have one main number and can't decide which one to keep!

I have a SSSB Apple Watch with Link and this is making the decision even more difficult. I love all these devices and it's a (first world) struggle.

How do people manage multiple devices on multiple platforms?

The other problem is, I'm tied into the Apple system for photos, mac, shared calendars and push email so it makes it even more difficult - I enjoy those services but board to tears with iOS.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I have both the IP7 Plus and S8+. I have one main number and can't decide which one to keep!

I have a SSSB Apple Watch with Link and this is making the decision even more difficult. I love all these devices and it's a (first world) struggle.

How do people manage multiple devices on multiple platforms?

The other problem is, I'm tied into the Apple system for photos, mac, shared calendars and push email so it makes it even more difficult - I enjoy those services but board to tears with iOS.

Things are more difficult if you're invested in the Apple eco-system and it was a similar set of things that kept me with iOS for so long.
However, I've recently moved to a Garmin Fenix 5s from my Apple Watch and a paid for Google account which gives me unlimited storage for photos, calendars and mail so the transition was painless for me.

Personally, I've actually found the alternatives better than the Apple options (the Fenix is way better for running, which is pretty much all I used my watch for beyond notifications and I love Google Photos) so it's definitely a move I'm glad I made!

Reactions: Wide opeN

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Things are more difficult if you're invested in the Apple eco-system and it was a similar set of things that kept me with iOS for so long.
However, I've recently moved to a Garmin Fenix 5s from my Apple Watch and a paid for Google account which gives me unlimited storage for photos, calendars and mail so the transition was painless for me.

Personally, I've actually found the alternatives better than the Apple options (the Fenix is way better for running, which is pretty much all I used my watch for beyond notifications and I love Google Photos) so it's definitely a move I'm glad I made!

Thanks for the reply. To add that that, I will be buying the iPhone 8 later this year. So switching my services over and then back again could be painful.

I live the S8+ design and screen, plus the OS is so inviting and open.

Confused.

AppleMichael

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
Thanks for the reply. To add that that, I will be buying the iPhone 8 later this year. So switching my services over and then back again could be painful.

I live the S8+ design and screen, plus the OS is so inviting and open.

Confused.

If your intention is to only use it until September I probably wouldn't bother.

Reactions: nburwell and jamezr

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I came very close to buying the S8 to try but I stopped myself. As I was thinking about it I get these group imessages and I am reminded what i will loose if I switch. I know I should not totally care what other people use but me switching would mess up the group lol.

Gotta give it to apple, they really nailed imessage.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
So I'm not sure why this keeps happening but my Google Search widget keeps becoming a rectangle. And even when I try to put the widget back on after deleting it does the same thing. Anyone else have this issue?
789e57dc095fd1b2c0acbec17e2f67fb.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm back from a trip to the west coast. I ended up using my iPhone 7 Plus more because of the 2x zoom lens. It let me get pictures of wildlife and scenes I could not get with my S8+ and I did not want to resort to digital zoom. My husband used his S8+ exclusively. He missed some group iMessages that I got on my iPhone and I missed some that he got. So that was sort of a wash. But at least between the two of us we managed to stay in touch with the rest of our group and he got notifications on his S3 Frontier as well as I did on my Nike Apple Watch that I got the day before I left.

Both S8+ and IPhone 7 Plus cameras were incredibly capable. As I said I used my iPhone more for the zoom, but for low light pics I relied on the S8+ which still excels at that in many cases. I got much better battery life out of my S8+ thanks to OLED and using dark mode on any app and my theme when I could. I had to use my iPhone screen turned up pretty bright so that ate away at my battery life. I fell while hiking down a steep hill and landed on my iPhone but it was fine. My husband dropped his S8+ on a tiled floor and it was fine. So both phones passed our klutz tests, lol. Really it was their folio cases that saved them both. I'd hate to have those same mishaps happen on either phone without a case.

I love both phones too much to go back to just one. I was almost tired of my 7 Plus the last time I talked to you all and had felt it was kind of redundant, but hiking miles through ugly terrain and flying across country with it gave me renewed appreciation for it.

I'm too tired to elaborate on it all more than that. I love them both. I will remain unapologetically bi-platform. Or whatever you want to call someone who is equally hooked on iPhone and Samsung's version of Android.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm too tired to elaborate on it all more than that. I love them both. I will remain unapologetically bi-platform. Or whatever you want to call someone who is equally hooked on iPhone and Samsung's version of Android.

Yep that is me too. Hence all the forum shenanigans / squabbles irritate me as I like both platforms equally too.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So I'm not sure why this keeps happening but my Google Search widget keeps becoming a rectangle. And even when I try to put the widget back on after deleting it does the same thing. Anyone else have this issue?
789e57dc095fd1b2c0acbec17e2f67fb.jpg
are you using the stock launcher or something else?

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Got my Samsung S8 Plus 2 days ago, its the Aussie Exynos Version and got 7.5 hours SOT on first charge, at 50% battery on second charge with 4hours SOT currently. Great phone, however when i clean the screen with a lint free cloth the screen makes a creaking/popping sound, it sounds like something isn't glued together properly. Anyone else notice any weird sounds when rubbing the screen?

Last edited:

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Got my Samsung S8 Plus 2 days ago, its the Aussie Exynos Version and got 7.5 hours SOT on first charge, at 50% battery on second charge with 4hours SOT currently. Great phone, however when i clean the screen with a lint free cloth the screen makes a creaking/popping sound, it sounds like something isn't glued together properly. Anyone else notice any weird sounds when rubbing the screen?

I had this one mine. Mainly in the middle left and I couldn't always reproduce it. It would crack and pop.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I had this one mine. Mainly in the middle left and I couldn't always reproduce it. It would crack and pop.

Don't think this is quite normal. Mine doesnt have it. The whole phone feels solid - no creaking sound anywhere. Only Bixby button doesnt feel as tight compare to other buttons

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Today I encountered runaway system app(s) causing the phone to lag and heat up. Kill all the user apps but cpu is still at high usage.

No choice but to restart. Anyone has experience this?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Anyone grabbed the unlocked version yet? I believe best buy has them as of today.

I did. I'm going to return my Verizon variant. It has bad pink on all edges (event top and bottom) with red turned off on all the color sliders. This unlocked phone's screen is perfect. I haven't even had to touch the color sliders. Performance wise, feels a little snappier/quicker than my VZW version but the VZW was mostly fluid and smooth. I'll definitely be keeping the unlocked version for now, I'm just scared about future updates. We'll see if Samsung delivers. If not, I would likely flash the VZW firmware on it to get future software updates/features.
[doublepost=1496411650][/doublepost]
I'm using stock launcher.

Did you change the DPI in the developer settings?

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Who is monitoring the sweepstakes/bets ?

My Orchid Grey Unlocked S8 arrives Wed next ......... ;)

Will rock it with my LG G6 for a while and then see which I prefer and will hold onto. There's nothing particularly wrong with my G6, except wanderlust from myself.

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I've thought about picking up the unlocked s8+ to use as a secondary device. Also thought of the international version, but I know that would be a hair risky and certain bands are not supported.

I miss having root.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.