Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Does it have a lip around the camera to protect it?

yes. I'll try to take pics of it later as I don't have another camera on me at the moment. But there is enough of a lip to protect the camera when I set the phone down. There's a slight lip on the front too if I set my phone down screen down, the screen won't touch the surface unless it's uneven or has junk on it.

Reactions: HiDEF

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Does this case have a lip to protect the camera? From the images, it seems like it does.

yes, it does. It improves to easy find the fingerprint scanner and a little lip for the camera.

how's the dragon skin feel? I've been tempted to get one. I love using my phones naked but just don't want the back scratched up from setting it down on my desk and nightstand. Is it more slippery than the phone? or have a good grip / feel?

Out of my 3 other DBrand skins this one offers the best grip. I never thought it will/would slip out of my hand.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
yes, it does. It improves to easy find the fingerprint scanner and a little lip for the camera.

Out of my 3 other DBrand skins this one offers the best grip. I never thought it will/would slip out of my hand.

Thanks. I've had their matte black and titanium black before. was just curious about this one compared to those.

Reactions: Geert76

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yep. My s8+ is the dual SIM version. Just checking anyone has this setup running.
No sorry I use one sim for WhatsApp and the other sim I use Line so I can't really try that out but maybe for email you could do the same work and personal

but if it does not work you can always pin protect some apps

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
My S8+ has finally arrived yesterday. Holding it in the hand makes me marvel the design more than just looking at pictures. A bit surprised the orchid gray color looks more black than gray. I was deciding between this and the midnight black. But the midnight black is a bit too monotonous . I like having a different tone for the metal rim and yet not so much different between the front and back color. So the orchid gray fits very well.

The smart switch app from Samsung really makes the transfering of data so much easier. I installed it on my R9s+ and it just transfered almost everything to my new S8+ via wifi direct, hassle free, and all completed in about 10-15 minutes. Great thing is all the installed apps in the old phone get transferred over and installed in the S8 all at one go without you having to click the permission dialog one-by-one like previously. Unfortunately, app data doesnt get transfered over. I still have to manually copy my Whatsapp folder plus other apps data backup and then restore.

The S8 edge screen is just gorgeous. A slight disappointment to me is that 6.2inch feels smaller than my 6in R9s+ eventhough both have about the same screen area. I think the 5mm narrower screen width has a bigger impact on my perception than the the 10mm taller height.

Downloaded and updated firmware immediately. I dropped Touchwiz after a few moments with it. It is not as smooth or functional as TSF that I am using. Display I set it straight to QHD+. The edges color has a bit of blue tinge so I used the edge adjustment setting and after that it is fine.

Phone seems very fast and lag free. Boot-up free RAM is just about 1.5Gb compared to the insane 4.3Gb free on my R9s+. Charged full the phone and unplugged before I went to sleep to test the stand-by usage. The 0.8% per hour standby battery usage seems within expectation. (note: with whatsapp/line/wechat/fb/google/samsung health/weather+few other widgets auto-sync on)

Completed one cycle of usage. The battery life seems very good. Got about 7 hours SOT doing lots of YouTube and surfing over 1 day.

Screenshot_20170527-194731.png Screenshot_20170527-194738.png

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
My S8+ has finally arrived yesterday. Holding it in the hand makes me marvel the design more than just looking at pictures. A bit surprised the orchid gray color looks more black than gray. I was deciding between this and the midnight black. But the midnight black is a bit too monotonous . I like having a different tone for the metal rim and yet not so much different between the front and back color. So the orchid gray fits very well.

The smart switch app from Samsung really makes the transfering of data so much easier. I installed it on my R9s+ and it just transfered almost everything to my new S8+ via wifi direct, hassle free, and all completed in about 10-15 minutes. Great thing is all the installed apps in the old phone get transferred over and installed in the S8 all at one go without you having to click the permission dialog one-by-one like previously. Unfortunately, app data doesnt get transfered over. I still have to manually copy my Whatsapp folder plus other apps data backup and then restore.

The S8 edge screen is just gorgeous. A slight disappointment to me is that 6.2inch feels smaller than my 6in R9s+ eventhough both have about the same screen area. I think the 5mm narrower screen width has a bigger impact on my perception than the the 10mm taller height.

Downloaded and updated firmware immediately. I dropped Touchwiz after a few moments with it. It is not as smooth or functional as TSF that I am using. Display I set it straight to QHD+. The edges color has a bit of blue tinge so I used the edge adjustment setting and after that it is fine.

Phone seems very fast and lag free. Boot-up free RAM is just about 1.5Gb compared to the insane 4.3Gb free on my R9s+. Charged full the phone and unplugged before I went to sleep to test the stand-by usage. The 0.8% per hour standby battery usage seems within expectation. (note: with whatsapp/line/wechat/fb/google/samsung health/weather+few other widgets auto-sync on)

Completed one cycle of usage. The battery life seems very good. Got about 7 hours SOT doing lots of YouTube and surfing over 1 day.

Congrats and enjoy :)

Not sure why you had to manually copy over WhatsApp I just did backup to server on my S7 then on 1st use on S8 it auto detects file on serve and installs

Let us know if you manage the dual sim WhatsApp in secure folder

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

View attachment 701286 View attachment 701287

7 Hrs SOT on the first charge is...exceptional, imo!

Congrats!!

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Congrats and enjoy :)

Not sure why you had to manually copy over WhatsApp I just did backup to server on my S7 then on 1st use on S8 it auto detects file on serve and installs

Let us know if you manage the dual sim WhatsApp in secure folder

Faster to copy over. Usually default whatsppp cloud backup doesnt include video/images. My whatsapp folder with media is like 8+ Gb so takes too long to back to cloud and transfer back.

Will try dual sim whatsapp next week. Don't want to mess with my work whatsapp now. I think shouldnt be issue.

But did try secure folder with email. It is really cool. Secure folder is like a accessing a second login/environment within phone. It has its own settings and data space. App installed here runs concurrently with the one outside as a second copy (i.e. another process) with its own data. I setup another google account in secure folder. Then I can see that two "google services" processes are running. And it sync both - email account in secure folder and the account outside.

Reactions: Demo Kit

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Faster to copy over. Usually default whatsppp cloud backup doesnt include video/images. My whatsapp folder with media is like 8+ Gb so takes too long to back to cloud and transfer back.

Will try dual sim whatsapp next week. Don't want to mess with my work whatsapp now. I think shouldnt be issue.

But did try secure folder with email. It is really cool. Secure folder is like a accessing a second login/environment within phone. It has its own settings and data space. App installed here runs concurrently with the one outside as a second copy (i.e. another process) with its own data. I setup another google account in secure folder. Then I can see that two "google services" processes are running. And it sync both - email account in secure folder and the account outside.
Yes that's a large WhatsApp to backup and restore even though it will run in background, better safe than sorry in case it gets corrupted

email sounds cool may try it for my company account

You should have another update pending that brings you up to may security patch level

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Yes that's a large WhatsApp to backup and restore even though it will run in background, better safe than sorry in case it gets corrupted

email sounds cool may try it for my company account

You should have another update pending that brings you up to may security patch level

Actually WhatsApp always do a nightly backup to the internal storage WhatsApp folder. It is same as what is backup to cloud. When you start WhatsApp for first time it will always look for internal storage folder first to restore. If it can't find then it looks for cloud storage.

I don't see latest firmware yet. My security update is upto apr 2017.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Oh wow I haven't heard of TSF launcher for a few years now but used to love SF Launcher.

Personally I'm just using stock. Even Nova has some annoyances. Might have some fun with Buzz launcher though

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, looks like the S8 is going back. Don't get me wrong, awesome device and would recommend to anyone looking for a new phone, it's just not worth the $800 when I already have these other 2.

Does pain me a little, I really liked the form factor.
653b9fa4b711b25e0a2695effc1f0638.jpg

5dfbbc90480adad3a2a5e4e823a6ef99.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: nfl46 and MRU

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Using my iPhone right now at work and ... I'm actually worrying about the battery life more so than I would have with my S8.

When did this become a thing?

Reactions: yui4

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I am using my 7+ today and I think my S8+ gets better battery life in my usage.

Exactly. I'm still not used to the idea that an Android phone has such good bat eyes life. And don't get me started on how stressful my Apple Watch battery life is.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Not sure whether this tip has been posted. But here it is.

You can have the navigation bar (or status bar or both) hidden/auto-hide. This will give you more screen area. Samsung didnt add this option in Settings (unlike some other phones). It is a simple thing to activate via ADB. And no, it is NOT root or anything that will void your warranty. Steps:

Step 1:
Download ADB+drivers and install to PC

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48915118#post48915118

Step 2: Activate developer options/usb debugging in S8.
Go to "About"->"Software Information". Keep tapping the Build Number until developer option enabled
Go to developer options: Turnon then tick "USB Debugging" option
Plug your phone USB to PC.

Step 3
On PC, open a command window.
In the prompt, type "adb devices". You should see your device ID. If you see something like "Unauthorized", check your phone to accept the security prompt.

- To auto-hide navigation bar type this into command window and run.
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=*

- To auto-hide top status bar type this into command window and run.
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.status=*

-To auto-hide both
adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.full=*

-If you want to make exception that certain apps you don't want to autohide do this. Note: you have to type in all the apps separated by comma all at once.

adb shell settings put global policy_control immersive.navigation=apps,-XXXX1,-XXXX2,...

XXXX1, XXXX2 - the app package name e.g. com.tsf.shell, com.google.quicksearchbox

(Note: You can check Settings->Apps for package name for app or you can install app to find)

Article:
=======

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...re-screen-real-estate-no-root-needed-0177297/

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Battery life of my S8 just keeps getting better with usage.

I have 30% battery left and am currently sitting at 5h50 minutes of SOT

I love not having to worry about making it to the end of the day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.