Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Having a weird problem since big software update.

My Gear S3 can't control the music/podcasts anymore, and nor can the lockscreen. I have to actually unlock the phone first to even play/pause anything.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Still debating if I should get an unlocked US model or an Exynos version to replace my lost T-Mobile version.

Decisions...

If you are gonna root and try custom ROMs, kernels then buy Snapdragon version and if you wouldn't root and change ROMs like lunatic then you should buy Exynos version, it is always better than Snapdragon except for xda community.

hansolo79

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
If you are gonna root and try custom ROMs, kernels then buy Snapdragon version and if you wouldn't root and change ROMs like lunatic then you should buy Exynos version, it is always better than Snapdragon except for xda community.

I think you meant this the other way around. Snapdragon is pretty much locked down.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I hope Samsung brings back the test drive, would not mind trying the S8 out no strings attached.

Oh man I forgot about that. What a disaster that was. They offered phones for a few minutes then never opened it up again as far as I could tell. I tried forever to get one but could never find it open. They just kept saying come back soon!

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
I love this phone.

All the things it does right eclipses anything it doesn't.

I'm 3 weeks in and love it more every day. Rock solid performance with crazy good battery life and a gorgeous screen, what's not to like?

I'm even used to the FP sensor now too. I would prefer it being lower, but the ability to use the combination of smartlock and hard press the home button to bypass lockscreen negates my need for the FP most times.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I'm 3 weeks in and love it more every day. Rock solid performance with crazy good battery life and a gorgeous screen, what's not to like?

I'm even used to the FP sensor now too. I would prefer it being lower, but the ability to use the combination of smartlock and hard press the home button to bypass lockscreen negates my need for the FP most times.
Because I use this phone for work, Smart Lock is disabled. But I'm with you on the FP scanner. So much negative hype but it seriously works great and I convince it with Iris as well.

Reactions: epicrayban

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Because I use this phone for work, Smart Lock is disabled. But I'm with you on the FP scanner. So much negative hype but it seriously works great and I convince it with Iris as well.

Yep. Agreed. When I take the phone out from the pocket, the back is tilted slightly towards me. I can see the FPS and position the touch easily. After a couple of days with it I already got so used to the position that I dont even need look now.

I also find the face recognition unlock is faster/easier. I dont have to position eyes like the iris. Take the phone out, press power and phone unlocks in about 1 secs. No need to hold upright or position your face in front of cam whatsover. It even recognises with glasses on.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Yep. Agreed. When I take the phone out from the pocket, the back is tilted slightly towards me. I can see the FPS and position the touch easily. After a couple of days with it I already got so used to the position that I dont even need look now.

I also find the face recognition unlock is faster/easier. I dont have to position eyes like the iris. Take the phone out, press power and phone unlocks in about 1 secs. No need to hold upright or position your face in front of cam whatsover. It even recognises with glasses on.

Agree with a lot here.

Facial unlock has always been pretty cool on Android. It existed back in the Nexus days. It's wicked fast. And I like it better than iris scanning.

While the location isn't ideal, the fingerprint scanner takes all but a day to get used to. I like that I can still pull it out of my pocket and it's unlocked by the time I bring it up to use (like the Pixel).

Lastly, I really like how the pressure sensitive home button is put to use here. It's simple and effective. Used to just wake the device anytime or to take you home from any app. I like that it's not used for anything else superfluous like on iPhone/iOS, areas where software has already provided the better solution on Android. There might come a day when Android devices get full pressure sensitive screens, but until then, I really like this simple implementation of it.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Agree with a lot here.

Facial unlock has always been pretty cool on Android. It existed back in the Nexus days. It's wicked fast. And I like it better than iris scanning.

While the location isn't ideal, the fingerprint scanner takes all but a day to get used to. I like that I can still pull it out of my pocket and it's unlocked by the time I bring it up to use (like the Pixel).

Lastly, I really like how the pressure sensitive home button is put to use here. It's simple and effective. Used to just wake the device anytime or to take you home from any app. I like that it's not used for anything else superfluous like on iPhone/iOS, areas where software has already provided the better solution on Android. There might come a day when Android devices get full pressure sensitive screens, but until then, I really like this simple implementation of it.
Thats nice that you can pressure the screen and it takes you back home..

ehh, I want an S8 now to accompany my 7 Plus... But wife would kill me..

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
So I stopped by Verizon to check out the S8 + due to limited security enclosure, I got a much better feel for the phone in hand.

This thing is sleek and light. Personally I had no trouble reaching and finding the FPS... It did not seem as awkward as I thought it would.

I will update if I get this thing..:cool:

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
So I've had my S8+ since launch day and it's a great phone. I definitely think it's an upgrade compared to the 7+ and iOS.

The one exception to this is my battery life isn't anything like I'm reading about.

I'm currently at 91% battery after being off charge for 1hr 5m.

Settings are:

AOD on
Adaptive Display
WiFi on
Bluetooth on
WQHD (although I did have this set to FHD+ and have only got about a 2hr drop)

Estimated battery life is 12hr 36m which is just poor.

Mainly on mobile signal throughout the day.

I've got GSam Battery Monitor installed so can.

Any suggestions on how to improve this, or should I reset and start from fresh?

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
So I've had my S8+ since launch day and it's a great phone. I definitely think it's an upgrade compared to the 7+ and iOS.

The one exception to this is my battery life isn't anything like I'm reading about.

I'm currently at 91% battery after being off charge for 1hr 5m.

Settings are:

AOD on
Adaptive Display
WiFi on
Bluetooth on
WQHD (although I did have this set to FHD+ and have only got about a 2hr drop)

Estimated battery life is 12hr 36m which is just poor.

Mainly on mobile signal throughout the day.

I've got GSam Battery Monitor installed so can.

Any suggestions on how to improve this, or should I reset and start from fresh?

That depends on what you did in that hour. If phone is just on standby then something is wrong.

The few days I have the s8, standby drop is about 0.8-1 percent per hour. Usage with screen on is about 10% per hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.