Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
So I tried to test out messaging with Facebook messenger to see how it would be if I were to get the S8.
Facebook messenger is used just about by everyone on my contact list so that was good.

Problem is people simply dont reply when i tried to message them...I know they were available because I sent them an imessage and they responded.

So this makes it harder for me thats for sure. Im not sure what the issue is, maybe the notification is set to off as default in messenger.
Have you tried just using plain sms?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
So I tried to test out messaging with Facebook messenger to see how it would be if I were to get the S8.
Facebook messenger is used just about by everyone on my contact list so that was good.

Problem is people simply dont reply when i tried to message them...I know they were available because I sent them an imessage and they responded.

So this makes it harder for me thats for sure. Im not sure what the issue is, maybe the notification is set to off as default in messenger.

Have you tried moving everyone you want to talk to over to Allo? :D

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The reaction I would get would be priceless. "Aloo whaaa"?
[doublepost=1495731974][/doublepost]
-Speed
-Full res pics/vids
-Group chat
-Read receipts

Oh, they don't need to know what it is. When you message them, it automatically creates a link for them to download the service. Just make sure you put who you are in the message, I'm told it comes from a werid number.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
The reaction I would get would be priceless. "Aloo whaaa"?
[doublepost=1495731974][/doublepost]
-Speed
-Full res pics/vids
-Group chat
-Read receipts
What carrier do you have? SMS on at&t has all those features, but for me the most important feature is being able to message people without first having to get them to sign up for a separate service.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
What carrier do you have? SMS on at&t has all those features, but for me the most important feature is being able to message people without first having to get them to sign up for a separate service.
SMS on att has full res pictures and videos when sent? and read receipts?

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014

Default messaging app setting only sets that app as the default for SMS, nothing else. So if you have Whatsapp as default, you get your whatsapp messages and SMS going to whatsapp. Messages from other messaging apps won't default to whatsapp. They'll continue to get their own messages. If you're friends don't actually respond to you through other messaging apps, that's a problem with them, not the app. Might want to reconsider your social circle. ;)

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Default messaging app setting only sets that app as the default for SMS, nothing else. So if you have Whatsapp as default, you get your whatsapp messages and SMS going to whatsapp. Messages from other messaging apps won't default to whatsapp. They'll continue to get their own messages. If you're friends don't actually respond to you through other messaging apps, that's a problem with them, not the app. Might want to reconsider your social circle. ;)
I meant default as in if Facebook messenger has notifications on or not. Like badges and what not.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Apple isn't compatible yet, and I think it only works with at&t and t-mobile, but should be universal soon (or eventually)

That's what I thought. In the case of the OP (and me), most of my contacts have iPhone, so RCS doesn't do us any good right now. I can't wait until Apple and all the carriers bake RCS into their messaging services.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
That's what I thought. In the case of the OP (and me), most of my contacts have iPhone, so RCS doesn't do us any good right now. I can't wait until Apple and all the carriers bake RCS into their messaging services.
Yes I dont like messaging services that are exclusive, like BBM was and imessage is now.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Frustration.

Resetting my phone tonight because out of nowhere it can't keep any signal (WiFi, cell, and even BT issues that didn't exist before).

LushMojo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2008
Camden, Maine

Will it work over WiFi? That's crucial for me. In our hospital I need to be able to text others and I can always rely on iMessage and WiFi when att has weak spots or dead zones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.