Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Orchid Gray? And knew you would hop on eventually haha.

Yep. Was a toss up really between black or grey as they are the only colours here. I likely would have gone coral blue had it been here. Ordered an official Samsung clear case, and spigen thin fit + screen protectors.

Reactions: nviz22

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I can't wait to see the pics of his dog and the Irish coast that he takes with the S8+ camera.

I found out there's a panorama feature that somehow incorporates motion when you play it back. I don't know how to explain it but MRU will find it and explain it better than I can.

I'm sure I'll be able to get a certain troublesome twosome to pose :)

I'll keep a look out for the panorama feature you mention too

Reactions: 5105973

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
How's battery life on the regular S8?

I'm routinely getting 6.5 to 7 hours of SOT. Most SOT I've got is just over 7.5 hours, that was mostly wifi browsing, some texting, and youtube.

I'm coming from a Nexus 6p which struggled to get over 4 hours of SOT, so it's pretty solid battery life for me, but of course it will vary for everybody.

Reactions: jamezr and Roadstar

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I ordered the regular S8 and it should arrive on Wednesday next week . Would have arrived sooner but Bank Holiday weekend in Ireland so no postal services till Tuesday.

What made you go with the regular S8 rather than the Plus?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yep. Was a toss up really between black or grey as they are the only colours here. I likely would have gone coral blue had it been here. Ordered an official Samsung clear case, and spigen thin fit + screen protectors.

Too bad they don't have a white. Midnight Black felt the best combo for me with a black case to boot.

Reactions: MRU

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
26hrs uptime with 6.5 hrs SOT. Really good battery life for a Samsung phone.

Screenshot_20170603-235804.png Screenshot_20170603-235813.png

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Battery life.
50c2884f454ded576ae835d554f052f9.jpg
11be1ecd9df430cc0f87e68bb11d1939.jpg

S8? What are your settings with Wi-Fi, Display and brightness, NFC, bluetooth, and other meaningful settings determining battery life? South Florida has really bad signal overall compared to other cities I go to in the US with T-Mobile.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
S8? What are your settings with Wi-Fi, Display and brightness, NFC, bluetooth, and other meaningful settings determining battery life? South Florida has really bad signal overall compared to other cities I go to in the US with T-Mobile.
  • S8+
  • WiFi on (with an active Tasker profile to turn off when I leave my home)
  • Sync on
  • Bluetooth on
  • Location on
  • Brightest on manual (set to a little below 50%)
  • WiFi calling on (set to cellular network preferred)
  • FHD

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
  • S8+
  • WiFi on (with an active Tasker profile to turn off when I leave my home)
  • Sync on
  • Bluetooth on
  • Location on
  • Brightest on manual (set to a little below 50%)
  • WiFi calling on (set to cellular network preferred)

What about WQHD+? I have the regular S8, so I cannot expect 5-6 hrs of SOT.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I have it set to FHD.

Could you use WQHD+ for a day or two and test that out please? Want to get an idea if I should drop my resolution down permanently. Does Samsung have an option to play WQHD+ on videos while FHD is the display for normal usage?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Could you use WQHD+ for a day or two and test that out please? Want to get an idea if I should drop my resolution down permanently. Does Samsung have an option to play WQHD+ on videos while FHD is the display for normal usage?

Sure; I'll give it a full day and report back.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I leave everything turned on all the time and have WQHD+ resolution on my S8, but have no idea what my screen on time is because when I'm sat at my desk, I just drop the phone onto my wireless charging cradle so it gets charged up during the day at regular intervals and I normally have around 70-80% left at the end of the day

Reactions: jamezr and nviz22

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Sure; I'll give it a full day and report back.

@webslinger85 Thanks to you both for the info.

So I have a bug to share with people:the Google Assistant doesn't respond to my voice and requires me to go ahead and reset my phone. I did a factory data reset to solve the issue and it doesn't work. I had to delete the latest updates to even restore Google Assistant functionality. It's a known issue with Galaxy S8 devices too. So be aware. Might want to test it out on your end as well.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Well that was strange

I bought the S8 only a few days after release then a week later got the S8+ and gave the S8 to my wife

My S8+ got the May update about a week back the wife S8 only got the update today and both are international versions

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well that was strange

I bought the S8 only a few days after release then a week later got the S8+ and gave the S8 to my wife

My S8+ got the May update about a week back the wife S8 only got the update today and both are international versions
Makes no difference that both are international versions. Indeed there is no such thing as just a single international version either as every country has a different CSC code and it's therefore seen as a separate device, so Germany is seen as a different device as France even if both are bought unlocked, carrier unbranded.

Likewise the S8 & S8+ have two completely different hardware identifiers and are treated as two completely different devices.

And finally even if you have two devices that actually are identical and from same region this sharing same CSC, they have different IMEI's and Samsung likewise rollout the updates in batches to IMEI ranges so the two phones even if sharing CSC wouldn't necessarily get update at same time either.

It's just another reason why android updates generally are such a mess.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Did any of you check the camera sensor of your phone? Is it Sony or Samsung module?

You can use AIDA64 app to check. If you see something like SLIS... then Samsung module. Mine came with Samsung front and rear.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I didn't check to see which camera sensor I have. I like my pics well enough so I just didn't want to know.

I have not set up Google Assistant so I can't contribute to the discussion about the problems with it. My husband uses it and hasn't mentioned any problems yet.

I've been using Siri and she's getting most of my inquiries wrong on the first try. When I'm at home I just talk to Alexa on the Echo Dot. I just haven't felt up to setting GA up yet and accepting all the sharing of my information with it. I sort of have to be in the mood to do that and lately I've been a sourpuss about it.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Makes no difference that both are international versions. Indeed there is no such thing as just a single international version either as every country has a different CSC code and it's therefore seen as a separate device, so Germany is seen as a different device as France even if both are bought unlocked, carrier unbranded.

Likewise the S8 & S8+ have two completely different hardware identifiers and are treated as two completely different devices.

And finally even if you have two devices that actually are identical and from same region this sharing same CSC, they have different IMEI's and Samsung likewise rollout the updates in batches to IMEI ranges so the two phones even if sharing CSC wouldn't necessarily get update at same time either.

It's just another reason why android updates generally are such a mess.

Well I just though it may just be staggered release to save impact on servers :)

I do note that I was surprised when changing the primary sim between different country operators the S8's completely rebooted and altered the CSC codes and Samsung Pay similarly altered.

So there does appear some better standardisation or adaptability in the S8's now to be automatically more country specific even the little freebees between countries altered one minute I had free UAE offers the next it shifted to Thai for example, none for UK sim and probably Ireland too

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.