Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm using the camera app to shoot. I go into GP and use the little pencil tool to edit. When done editing, I hit save and its just creates a copy in a folder titled PhotoEditor, therefore, having a duplicate... This is so strange.

Edit: this happens with all forms of editing; cropping, applying filters, etc.

I just did that exact think and mine behaves like iPhone, and I don't have a folder called PhotoEditor on my phone. Are you clicking the image thumbnail in the camera app? or clicking home and going to GP icon? I think the thumbnail in the camera app is the Samsung Gallery app, not GP.

EDIT:. yep, that's exactly it. I just redid that same workflow but used the image thumbnail in the camera app, and it took me to "Photo Editor" and used Samsung's photo editing software. Then it created a folder called PhotoEditor.

so, don't use that image thumbnail. Go directly to GP and edit there, not the camera app.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I just did that exact think and mine behaves like iPhone, and I don't have a folder called PhotoEditor on my phone. Are you clicking the image thumbnail in the camera app? or clicking home and going to GP icon? I think the thumbnail in the camera app is the Samsung Gallery app, not GP.

I'm going straight into GP.

I'm going to reset my phone and test.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm using the camera app to shoot. I go into GP and use the little pencil tool to edit. When done editing, I hit save and its just creates a copy in a folder titled PhotoEditor, therefore, having a duplicate... This is so strange.

Edit: this happens with all forms of editing; cropping, applying filters, etc.

What firmware / carrier is your handset on. Perhaps it's firmware specific.

Also you could try removing default for editing and re-apply google photos as default.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I'm going straight into GP.

I'm going to reset my phone and test.

somehow you are invoking Samsung's photo editor as the editing software, not GP. Because when i used the in-camera thumbnail, I got samsung editor, when I go directly to GP, I get GP editor and it behaves like iOS

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Verizon but have the US unlocked version

What screen does your editing screen look like in this imgur album? 1 or 2?

https://imgur.com/a/gqVRD

One.
[doublepost=1496694704][/doublepost]Just isn't working for me; so weird.
[doublepost=1496694801][/doublepost]
Verizon but have the US unlocked version

What screen does your editing screen look like in this imgur album? 1 or 2?

https://imgur.com/a/gqVRD

I'm starting to think its a carrier thing.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
And that's saving it in photoeditor folder? man, mine isn't. that second screenshot does, but not the first (GP).

After clearing defaults and updating the gallery app, it didn't create the PhotoEditor album, but still created a duplicate.

EDIT: I lie, it did create the folder.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
So, got impatient and did a full reset to see if that fixes the problem. Will report back.
[doublepost=1496697596][/doublepost]Sad to report, it seems to be a firmware issue. Oh well.

Reactions: MRU and co.ag.2005

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So, got impatient and did a full reset to see if that fixes the problem. Will report back.
[doublepost=1496697596][/doublepost]Sad to report, it seems to be a firmware issue. Oh well.

Hopefully it can be addressed via a patch sooner rather than later.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

that sucks. I wish I still had my verizon variant to test on that device. You can flash the U1 (unlocked USA GS8) firmware and then it'd likely work just like my phone does.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
that sucks. I wish I still had my verizon variant to test on that device. You can flash the U1 (unlocked USA GS8) firmware and then it'd likely work just like my phone does.

Is this even possible with a TMO variant? If so, how difficult is it?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Is this even possible with a TMO variant? If so, how difficult is it?

I did this with my Galaxy S7 Edge and it was a piece of cake, just had to have a modified version of Odin (at the link I'm about to give you) and you just put the firmware pieces in Odin and flash.

XDA LINK, read OP, but to change to the unlocked variant, follow the instructions in Post #2.

make sure to read through the thread first to see if VoLTE and Wifi Calling work. I know on the U1 and Verizon, VoLTE (HD Calling) works but I'm not sure about Wifi Calling (which I don't use anyway).

EDIT: not sure if it matters, but you may need to sim unlock your phone first? not sure... thus, read through that thread first.

Last edited:
Reactions: HiDEF

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
you're on a S8, correct?
[doublepost=1496692553][/doublepost]This non-destructive editing not working is really bothering me. These are the little things I wonder if Samsung is holding us back or is it a widespread issue among other devices/manufactures.

I've been looking for an excuses to ditch Samsung and go back to iPhone and this might do it--well, at least for now until Pixel 2 is announced.

EDIT: Can anyone else test this with Google Photos? Edit the photo with GP and check if a duplicate was created or it was saved as non destructive.
Yes S8+

As I noted before it could be the May Patch for the OS, do you have this ?

Last edited:
Reactions: HiDEF

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I would guess after Apples lame 10.4, I mean iOS 11 preview, that iPhone fans on the fence going to Android, will absolutely jump ship now to Android, after today major disappointing preview.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I would guess after Apples lame 10.4, I mean iOS 11 preview, that iPhone fans on the fence going to Android, will absolutely jump ship now to Android, after today major disappointing preview.

I said in the other thread that Android N + Samsung Software is actually the world's most advanced mobile operating system. Not iOS.

The s8 software is elegant, consistent, easy to use, feature-rich, and highly customizable. It shames iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.