Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The earphones that come with the s8 are quite good. I use Bluetooth but sometimes when I'm at home I will plug in earphones for a quick listen or if my Bluetooth is charging. These earphones are pretty great. I like the material too. Is it waterproof or anti-tangle??
[doublepost=1496799589][/doublepost]Is the wave-to-wake feature gone from the Samsung software? I really liked that feature...

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
[doublepost=1496799589][/doublepost]Is the wave-to-wake feature gone from the Samsung software? I really liked that feature...

You just wave your hand over the front sensor and the phone wakes up. Is that what you are refering to?
Still there. It is in the "Assesibility" menu.

Reactions: epicrayban

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Anybody found a decent screen protector and case for the s8+ yet?

For me, all screen protectors on edge phone suck. They just ruin the user experience in my opinion. On my Note 7, I went without a screen protector because I had nothing to lose, as it was going back on a recall. Never got a single scratch or micro scratch. So went without a screen protector on my S7 Edge, again, no scratches. As long as you don't ever get sand in your pockets, today's gorilla glass phones should be able to survive without a screen protector. I also go with a case with a slight raised lip to protector the screens from drops.

Reactions: yui4

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Up until today I didn’t know Samsung doesn’t allow for multiple user accounts on the device!

Wanted to make one before letting someone use my S8..oh well..

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
95f5a959c9a9d0e9185fcbd6e40e8b33.jpg
44b9e8fa7a9d90f59b0f2da30f0eb528.jpg

Arrived. Samsung thin clear case offers minimal protection but I really like it. Still waiting for spigen to arrive later so left the plastic on screen until they arrive later and just going to setup and charge.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK

Arrived. Samsung thin clear case offers minimal protection but I really like it. Still waiting for spigen to arrive later so left the plastic on screen until they arrive later and just going to setup and charge.

Looks stunning. Is that the Black Samsung clear case?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
You just wave your hand over the front sensor and the phone wakes up. Is that what you are refering to?
Still there. It is in the "Assesibility" menu.

Yes! Thank you.
[doublepost=1496838116][/doublepost]

Nice. Took you a while this time... ;)

Reactions: MRU

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
MRU can phones in Europe get blacklisted like they do here in the states? Have you even been burned when buying a used phone before?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Congrats! That's the case I have and I love it! won't provide drop protection but will keep the back from getting scuffed up setting it down, etc.

Reactions: MRU

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I don't want to start a war but I think the whole monthly security updates thing is a bit overhyped. Yes, it would be lovely to have the latest updates as fast as possible to be as secure as you can be. However, how many have ever been affected by not getting a timely security update? Meaning you had some malicious attack to your device that you would not have gotten had you gotten the updates faster. I think the whole thing is just another part of the whole "gotta have it now" mentality of the world nowadays. That said, I understand the frustration but it doesn't influence my decision one iota whether or not to purchase a device, well unless they are giving updates 6+ months behind others or something really crazy.

Now, if we are talking updates to functionality and similar, then I'm with you (newest Android etc...). I want it now!

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I don't want to start a war but I think the whole monthly security updates thing is a bit overhyped. Yes, it would be lovely to have the latest updates as fast as possible to be as secure as you can be. However, how many have ever been affected by not getting a timely security update? Meaning you had some malicious attack to your device that you would not have gotten had you gotten the updates faster. I think the whole thing is just another part of the whole "gotta have it now" mentality of the world nowadays. That said, I understand the frustration but it doesn't influence my decision one iota whether or not to purchase a device, well unless they are giving updates 6+ months behind others or something really crazy.

Now, if we are talking updates to functionality and similar, then I'm with you (newest Android etc...). I want it now!

I get what you are saying and for me, the security updates aren't that big of a deal, I think it's more of a comfort of knowing the manufacturer of your $800+ device still cares about that device (aka ME!). Specifically to the S8, the next update rolling out is supposed to fix some bluetooth issues and I hope it fixes the wonky connection I get sometimes with my bluetooth headphones. So, getting this fixed is big to me, but for security updates, I tend to stay away from nefarious sites and sideloading APKs, so I'm not as concerned about that... even though I'd prefer to get them regularly just in case.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

Well, there is the fact that once the patches are out, also the vulnerabilities fixed by the patches become more widely known and as a result of that it's easier to target unpatched devices. Luckily there are some additional layers of defence in modern Androids, but with the amount of personal and work data I have on my phone, I feel much better if the manufacturer is responsible and delivers security updates promptly without unnecessary delays. If I have to pick between the two, I can wait for the feature updates a bit longer if I get security updates quickly. But please don't Samsung the feature updates.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Exactly this. If you've read any of my posts in the past about security/software updates, I say similar things.

With regards to security patches, yes, of course it'd be great and safer if OEMs kept up (especially if they've made a promise to) but in general, it simply isn't a dealbreaker. Common sense will prevent the vast majority of malware or other security concerns.

And with regards to software updates, those, too, aren't a dealbreaker if they don't come right away. In fact, I think day-one updates are more bragging right than practicality. Especially considering early round bugs. I do not want bugs, small or big, to disrupt my day-to-day use of my smartphone that is otherwise running in tip-top shape just to say I got day-one updates.

Also, I understand the Android landscape, and in fact, respect it because we wouldn't have so many features pushed by Android skins if it weren't for the way things work on the Android side. So if OEMs need some time to adapt the latest software, so be it. I understand. Just do it in a reasonable amount of time and work out all the early bugs/kinks. I care about getting it right far more than getting it right away. Something like 3 months-ish, I think, is fair.

Besides, these days, Android is already so stable, fast, and feature-rich that each software update gets less and less necessary. Not to mention Google's core apps update on their own from the Play Store -- something I really like since it means my apps are getting better year round instead of in one big lump sum update.

Having said all that... the real problem here is Samsung's promise. If they make a promise, they should keep it. Plain and simple. That's what I have a problem with.

I understand timely updates are important to a lot of people. It is one of the few remaining areas for Samsung to set straight.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
MRU can phones in Europe get blacklisted like they do here in the states? Have you even been burned when buying a used phone before?

They can, I have never been burned thankfully. I use a very close trusted network of like minded enthusiasts - so in that way we all look out for each other.

Only time I got kinda burned was when I bought my first pixel only to discover it was an EE one and unable to be unlocked, so I had to sell that on at a loss, and then buy another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.