Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Annoyingly then, you've got the UK/Ireland XEU version, while I have th eUK BTU version and haven't had this update yet.

Also, just to add to my previous batter comment, its still rubbish.

Since my post I've factory reset and then restored from backup and calibrated the battery nothing is making a different and I'm not getting anything like the numbers on here or XDA.

Currently have 39% left. Its been off charge for 8 hr 37 mins and SOT is 2 hr 14m

This is your problem.
Do a clean reset. Do not restore from a backup.

Your backup is likely corrupt.

Reactions: HiDEF

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I've always said that a bad/inconsistent signal is the absolute worst thing for battery life on a phone. I have an older (Nexus 5x) Android phone. When at home it loses maybe 1% every 2-3 hours on standby and I have an excellent signal. At work where I have an inconsistent signal I lose about 3% per hour or more even. I think a lot of battery related problems are because of this. Not saying it's true in every case obviously but it makes a HUGE difference.

Reactions: Demo Kit

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Annoyingly then, you've got the UK/Ireland XEU version, while I have th eUK BTU version and haven't had this update yet.

Also, just to add to my previous batter comment, its still rubbish.

Since my post I've factory reset and then restored from backup and calibrated the battery nothing is making a different and I'm not getting anything like the numbers on here or XDA.

Currently have 39% left. Its been off charge for 8 hr 37 mins and SOT is 2 hr 14m

Yep my CSC is XEU.

I'm not getting the battery life people on here are reporting either. Mixture of 4G/LTE & WIFI I'm getting around 3.5 hours SOT and down to 10% battery. I'm hoping it will improve to at least 4.5 hours SOT.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Yep my CSC is XEU.

I'm not getting the battery life people on here are reporting either. Mixture of 4G/LTE & WIFI I'm getting around 3.5 hours SOT and down to 10% battery. I'm hoping it will improve to at least 4.5 hours SOT.
When can we expect a review? Looking forward to it.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
When can we expect a review? Looking forward to it.

Give me at least a full week or so with it, at the moment any judgment would be rushed and I haven't really experimented with the camera yet due to typical irish weather (peeing rain) ... :)

I'm trying to not compare it to my other androids and take it on its own merits, good and bad. Sometimes we have a habit of trying to make a device work like another, get frustrated when it doesn't and judge it harshly. Which i don't want to do, so need to really use it in separation from the other devices.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Yep my CSC is XEU.

that's what I generally get. I can ALMOST get a full day on a charge, but not quite. I don't care much about SOT as I do just making it through the day without plugging in. I can get to about 7-8pm (off the charger at 630am) with about 15% left. I generally plug in for a few minutes in the evening to get me all the way to bed. I tend to think I use my phone differently than most, because I've yet to have an android phone to give me all day battery life. iPhone 7+ was the only phone to do that easily for me. But, if I have to fast charge it for about 10 min on my commute home from work, I should be good for the rest of the evening.

Reactions: MRU

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Just remember folks that the closer you use the screen to unplugging, the longer SoT you can get. Galaxy s8 is still behind iPhone 7 in terms of standby time but the S8 is equal to or better than the iPhone in SoT. So the longer removed from the charger you are the worse the android will perform. It has gotten much better in the recent years but nothing beats Apple on standby time!

Reactions: 5105973

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Just remember folks that the closer you use the screen to unplugging, the longer SoT you can get. Galaxy s8 is still behind iPhone 7 in terms of standby time but the S8 is equal to or better than the iPhone in SoT. So the longer removed from the charger you are the worse the android will perform. It has gotten much better in the recent years but nothing beats Apple on standby time!
Not to turn this into an Apple vs Samsung conversation but the one thing that has really bugged me about Apple recently is that their standby time has actually gotten worse over the last couple of years. I normally don't like to plug my phones in overnight and a couple of years ago I would not have 1% drain with Apple. But with the last 2 Apple phones, I would sometimes lose up to 15% overnight. The Galaxy S8 plus is very comparable to Apple now. I do lose about 10% overnight but it's not any worse than what I was getting with the iPhone 7 plus.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Not to turn this into an Apple vs Samsung conversation but the one thing that has really bugged me about Apple recently is that their standby time has actually gotten worse over the last couple of years. I normally don't like to plug my phones in overnight and a couple of years ago I would not have 1% drain with Apple. But with the last 2 Apple phones, I would sometimes lose up to 15% overnight. The Galaxy S8 plus is very comparable to Apple now. I do lose about 10% overnight but it's not any worse than what I was getting with the iPhone 7 plus.

Something weird going on there. On my 7 Plus I unplug before bed and leave everything on and still am on 100% 8 hours later.

My current S8+ loses 3-4% overnight only.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014

15% overnight? Something must be wrong there. My old 6S has been heavily used and only loses anywhere from 3% to 5% overnight.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Yep my CSC is XEU.

Turn off location history in google. This one suck battery esp with weak signal and you move around a lot.

Do you know your standby drain? If it is greater than 2% per hour then it is your signal issue. If your WiFi throughput is flaky esp using public WiFi go to settings wifi- advanced try aggressive switching.

Finally if you on auto brightness and use your phone in very bright environment, screen on battery use can go as high as 25% compared to normal 10% per hour.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Yep my CSC is XEU.

Did you restore from another android phone or a clean install? 3.5 hours SOT is not the norm for this phone. I cant get less then 6 hours SOT even if i try to kill it by turning brightness to full ect.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Did you restore from another android phone or a clean install? 3.5 hours SOT is not the norm for this phone. I cant get less then 6 hours SOT even if i try to kill it by turning brightness to full ect.

That's very good. For me no matter what I do I can't get it below 4.5. Mostly I got between 5.5 - 6.5 hours SOT.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Mine is plus too.

Its weird how battery life differs. I guess there are to many variables to make solid comparisons. At the end of the day if i can use my phone from when i get up at 6am till when i go to bed at 11-12am and still have at least 20 percent in reserve then im happy and the S8 plus does that for me with absolute ease under heavy usage conditions.

Reactions: mib1800

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Its weird how battery life differs. I guess there are to many variables to make solid comparisons. At the end of the day if i can use my phone from when i get up at 6am till when i go to bed at 11-12am and still have at least 20 percent in reserve then im happy and the S8 plus does that for me with absolute ease under heavy usage conditions.

Agree totally. As long as it lasts you through the day with heavy usage, it is good battery life.
A phone with long standby endurance but dies off quickly when in use is not good battery life.

Reactions: Demo Kit

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Agree totally. As long as it lasts you through the day with heavy usage, it is good battery life.
A phone with long standby endurance but dies off quickly when in use is not good battery life.
Ive never understood the obsession with standby time. Even on android you only lose half a percent an hour on standby. Its like 4-5 percent overnight, hardly a deal breaker. To me its actual usage time that counts, it needs to be able to last me the whole day till im home and can chuck it on the charging pad.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
This is my battery discharge profile.

Screenshot_20170610-110626.png Screenshot_20170610-110139.png Screenshot_20170610-110208.png

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I see your average time off the plug is over 24 hours, that explains the lower SOT. 6 hours SOT with 24 hours off the plug is excellent!!

No. For current readings it is off plug 7+ hours.

On average I get about 6hrs sot over 18-20 hrs

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Turn off location history in google. This one suck battery esp with weak signal and you move around a lot.

Do you know your standby drain? If it is greater than 2% per hour then it is your signal issue. If your WiFi throughput is flaky esp using public WiFi go to settings wifi- advanced try aggressive switching.

Finally if you on auto brightness and use your phone in very bright environment, screen on battery use can go as high as 25% compared to normal 10% per hour.
Trust me I know all the battery saving techniques, I've had a 'few' android phones ... ;)

And still my battery isn't performing great comparatively, even with all the usual android fixes. There is no erroneous app hogging it either.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No fresh install. Though it's improved at moment as I have 48% remaining and 2hrs 44mins of SOT. Will see what I get by time it's at 10%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.