Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
1. Agressive ram. The fact that the device can only run 5-6 apps before it begins jettisoning them and forcing apps to content refresh or reload. Compare that to something like the G6 which will comfortably keep 12-14 or more apps backgrounded and for long periods of time without forcing apps to content refresh or reload. Other devices simarly handle ram better like Huawei (with arguably a heavier skin than Samsung) HTC and Sony.

2. Bixby which uses up resources in the background despite being mostly redundant for 99% of users and even using a remapper still means the device has to keep Bixby services running in order to bypass it (the bypasses available work by launching Bixby, quickly exiting it and relaunching whatever key/app you set up - this invariably means a simple press of a button is using even more resources that the device is already struggling with (see 1).

3. Colour calibration. Samsung provide one of the best displays on the market (certainly best AMOLED period) and refuse to allow users to colour calibrate their device when using that accurate RGB (basic mode) restricting it to Adaptive display mode where actual colour calibration is an athema in an non accurate over-saturated mode.

4. Animation stutters and framerate drops throughout the stock launcher despite all the hardware power to back it up. Issues that can be resolved by using another launcher, but in doing so only prove how the software is indeed encumbering the hardware.

All of these are software Issues that are not letting the hardware which is beautiful and powerful truly shine.

Gotcha. I think some of these are specific use cases. I have no issue with the RAM because I don't really need or go beyond 6 apps at a time. Do you really need 12 or so apps at the ready at all times? Ditto the calibration -- I personally love the saturated/vibrant look. Samsung should definitely let you customize. So much of the software is customizable, so not sure why this one area they won't let you.

As or Bixby, don't disagree, but once disabled, I haven't seen/experienced any noticeable hindrance to the software. And the animation stutters I really didn't notice either, but then again, I switched to Nova because I didn't understand why the app drawer didn't scroll. Changing launchers is one of the greatest features of Android, so this is a relative easy solve.

I would argue these are very specific issues, but issues nonetheless. Sorry to hear.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Gotcha. I think some of these are specific use cases. I have no issue with the RAM because I don't really need or go beyond 6 apps at a time. Do you really need 12 or so apps at the ready at all times? Ditto the calibration -- I personally love the saturated/vibrant look. Samsung should definitely let you customize. So much of the software is customizable, so not sure why this one area they won't let you.

As or Bixby, don't disagree, but once disabled, I haven't seen/experienced any noticeable hindrance to the software. And the animation stutters I really didn't notice either, but then again, I switched to Nova because I didn't understand why the app drawer didn't scroll. Changing launchers is one of the greatest features of Android, so this is a relative easy solve.

I would argue these are very specific issues, but issues nonetheless. Sorry to hear.

Not really. Things like aggressive ram will impact you even if you don't think they are. By forcing apps to refresh content or reload so quickly your device actually has to work 'harder' contrary to the battery benefit often touted as a reason. So you not only are using more data to refresh content, far more often than normal, you are likewise impacting battery life.

Also 12 apps isn't a lot, especially when we are factoring that these include dialer, calendar, messages. I am not talking about games. Just basic stuff.

Watch my G6 here opening and running these apps - i end up with 14 apps and cycle through them multiple times and not once does the content force refresh or reload.

Which means even if I am not using all these all the time, they are on every day usage there, ready when I need them resulting in a faster less staccato user experience.

Try repeating what I did there l on the S8 and you won't get far and you will see how aggressive ram actually slows you down.

Samsung need to fix the software issues, and thankfully indeed they are software issues so can be fixed, and then the S8 would genuinely shine like it deserves to. At the moment it feels like a Porsche 911 with a performance limiter making it drive like a Fiat Punto / Sedan

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Not really. Things like aggressive ram will impact you even if you don't think they are. By forcing apps to refresh content or reload so quickly your device actually has to work 'harder' contrary to the battery benefit often touted as a reason. So you not only are using more data to refresh content, far more often than normal, you are likewise impacting battery life.

Also 12 apps isn't a lot, especially when we are factoring that these include dialer, calendar, messages. I am not talking about games. Just basic stuff.

Watch my G6 here opening and running these apps - i end up with 14 apps and cycle through them multiple times and not once does the content force refresh or reload.

Which means even if I am not using all these all the time, they are on every day usage there, ready when I need them resulting in a faster less staccato user experience.

Try repeating what I did there l on the S8 and you won't get far and you will see how aggressive ram actually slows you down.

Samsung need to fix the software issues, and indeed they are software issues so can be fixed, and then the S8 would genuinely shine. At the moment it feels like a Porsche with a performance limiter making it drive like a Fiat Punto .
Wow that G6 is super smooth. Anything you did to it or is that stock?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Wow that G6 is super smooth. Anything you did to it or is that stock?

Pure stock, stock LG launcher. All apps opening from a cleared app state. I can leave them backgrounded 10-12 hours and they are still there when I go to them. Even the dreaded 'facebook'.

When you consider Samsung are using faster and newer processor, and faster ram - the real everyday usage performance differential only highlights how software is just as vital a component as physical hardware when delivering end user experience.

I don't expect Samsung to be 'better' than everyone else software wise. But I do expect (and so should every consumer) given price difference and hardware difference that it should at least provide an equal experience to cheaper, & technically hardware wise lesser devices. Especially when touting the virtues of having all the latest tech.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hardware wise yes.

However, Software wise it has some genuine issues which do encumber the stellar powerful hardware quite significantly compared to other devices. To the point where the device does not currently live up to it's potential that the great hardware by itself promises to deliver.
What software issues is that? It has been very stable software wise for me so far. My only issue with my S8+ has been it feels a little narrow. TW has been smooth fast and lag free for me so far.
Edit:

Saw your response after my post :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What software issues is that? It has been very stable software wise for me so far. My only issue with my S8+ has been it feels a little narrow. TW has been smooth fast and lag free for me so far.

See earlier post/reply to epicryban. I listed and explained the software issues.

As I say as software issues, the potential to fix them is there.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
...software Issues that are not letting the hardware which is beautiful and powerful truly shine.

Pretty much sums up Samsung devices since I've been sold on them from the Note 1 onwards. Can't knock the hardware but TW and their added extras take their toll. Coming from a Pixel or OP3 highlights this. Package disabler did a good job though.

I keep seeing tempting deals on the S8 these days. It's only just over a month old but seems to be dropping in price with carriers. Not tempted though with the Note on the horizon and, having seen my wife's Note 5 finally get the Nougat update, I'm going to borrow that for a week and see how it is.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
See earlier post/reply to epicryban. I listed and explained the software issues.

As I say as software issues, the potential to fix them is there.
Sorry i edited my post. I didn't see your response until after my reply:)

Sorry you have those issues. But I think most of those are specific user issues. I am not sure the average user will notice those things through everyday use. They won't notice them unless it is pointed out to them.

Reactions: SteveJUAE and MRU

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

Sorry you have those issues. But I think most of those are specific user issues. I am not sure the average user will notice those things through everyday use. They won't notice them unless it is pointed out to them.
I dont know, I noticed the stutters right away at B&H. But who knows maybe the phones are set up weird.

Reactions: jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

They still shouldn't be there though. That's the crux of the point I am making. They are a hindrance to the otherwise stunning hardware regardless.

Reactions: jamezr

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
1. Agressive ram. The fact that the device can only run 5-6 apps before it begins jettisoning them and forcing apps to content refresh or reload. Compare that to something like the G6 which will comfortably keep 12-14 or more apps backgrounded and for long periods of time without forcing apps to content refresh or reload. Other devices simarly handle ram better like Huawei (with arguably a heavier skin than Samsung) HTC and Sony.

2. Bixby which uses up resources in the background despite being mostly redundant for 99% of users and even using a remapper still means the device has to keep Bixby services running in order to bypass it (the bypasses available work by launching Bixby, quickly exiting it and relaunching whatever key/app you set up - this invariably means a simple press of a button is using even more resources that the device is already struggling with (see 1).

3. Colour calibration. Samsung provide one of the best displays on the market (certainly best AMOLED period) and refuse to allow users to colour calibrate their device when using that accurate RGB (basic mode) restricting it to Adaptive display mode where actual colour calibration is an athema in an non accurate over-saturated mode.

4. Animation stutters and framerate drops throughout the stock launcher despite all the hardware power to back it up. Issues that can be resolved by using another launcher, but in doing so only prove how the software is indeed encumbering the hardware.

All of these are software Issues that are not letting the hardware which is beautiful and powerful truly shine.
I actually close down unused apps after i use them, even though storing stuff in RAM should not use more battery i find i get best battery life when i keep opened apps to a minimum. I assume its why Samsung uses such an aggressive ram strategy. The fact im getting an average of 6-8 hours SOT backs up what im saying.

With Bixby just download package disabler pro and disable everything Bixby.

The calibration issue is only an issue if the colur is not good out of the box, mine does not have a red Hue and is even all the way to the edges.

I only use Nova on all my Android devices, custom launchers are the main reason i use Android.

So as you can see the things you listed are an issue for you but not for everyone. Don't get me wrong i wish Samsung made the perfect phone, but that my friend is a unicorn.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
They still shouldn't be there though. That's the crux of the point I am making. They are a hindrance to the otherwise stunning hardware regardless.
Agreed MRU......hopefully they can improve TW to pass your standards with the Note 8.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I actually close down unused apps after i use them, even though storing stuff in RAM should not use more battery i find i get best battery life when i keep opened apps to a minimum. I assume its why Samsung uses such an aggressive ram strategy. The fact im getting an average of 6-8 hours SOT backs up what im saying. With Bixby just download package disabler pro and disable everything Bixby. The calibration issue is only an issue if the colur is not good out of the box, mine does not have a red Hue and is even all the way to the edges. I only use Nova on all my Android devices, custom launchers are the main reason i use Android.

So as you can see the things you listed are an issue for you but not for everyone.

To the contrary.

The fact that you have had to use package disabler pro and use an alternative launcher only confirms my point that the software the device ships with encumbers the hardware.

As for display, Basic mode as Samsung have calibrated it introduces a tint/hue regardless of the white point in adaptive display. So even though my device doesn't have the red tint issue, when using basic for SRGB accuracy, it introduces a tint which can then not be compensated for.

Reactions: Roadstar

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Agreed MRU......hopefully they can improve TW to pass your standards with the Note 8.

What irks me, is that the exynos S7 and S7e had no problems with ram management for me. I could get at least 10-11 apps open. The only issue with the S7e was the false touches and in this regard the S8 has definitely improved and fixed that.

I think Samsung will go 6gb standard with the Note 8 so hopefully even if they don't change software, the extra ram will allow more apps. If anything the S8 has made me think the Note 8 will be the Samsung device for this year that most of us truly want. (Including better FP scanner placement and dual camera)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah, you need that update that fixes the BT. Not sure what's going on with WiFi/cellular dropping... but would/could that be hardware issues?

I'm told it's a software issue on the connection, all three. Apparently the same fix that fixes BT fixed that for a lot of people. So I don't know.

Reactions: epicrayban

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
To the contrary.

The fact that you have had to use package disabler pro and use an alternative launcher only confirms my point that the software the device ships with encumbers the hardware.

As for display, Basic mode as Samsung have calibrated it introduces a tint/hue regardless of the white point in adaptive display. So even though my device doesn't have the red tint issue, when using basic for SRGB accuracy, it introduces a tint which can then not be compensated for.
Yes but i use package disabler pro and a custom launcher on every Android phone ive ever owned. Having access to such apps is the reason i love Android, and yes i see the irony that they are often needed to fix underlying issues on android lol. Im not understanding why you want to touch the calibration of the screen if you don't have the red tint issue. The basic photo mode is actually very accurate, i also use it for this reason.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
What irks me, is that the exynos S7 and S7e had no problems with ram management for me. I could get at least 10-11 apps open. The only issue with the S7e was the false touches and in this regard the S8 has definitely improved and fixed that.

I think Samsung will go 6gb standard with the Note 8 so hopefully even if they don't change software, the extra ram will allow more apps. If anything the S8 has made me think the Note 8 will be the Samsung device for this year.

That's what irks me about all the phone makers these days. Throwing hardware at a software problem.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Fair enough.

My experience of the S8 for my needs are absolutely stellar. In fact, it's the best software experience I've ever had, and this is including the Pixel. The Pixel just had too many things missing, and wasn't impervious to the occasional stutter/issue (nor is my iPhone).

The S8 software is a beautiful marriage of features and stability. For 99% of the things I use it for, it's been a champ.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I am close to MRU level in terms of number of phones I go through (I even import some that I cannot get in the US). With that said, the S8+ is one of the fastest Android Devices I've ever used, being behind Pixel for sure. With that said I do see his point. It seems Samsung has gone backwards on the software in allowing more apps to be open on the S7 than the S8 but the good news is this could be tweaked with software if they so choose (but I don't think they will). For my use case, this phone has been phenomenal. It does everything I want to and then some with very few hiccups.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Samsung have always done this though, can't see them changing now.

Let's be fair, they are doing both. They just excel at the hardware better/faster.

You cannot say their software is the same as last year's, or the year before that, etc. It's overall gotten nothing but better.

[doublepost=1497380719][/doublepost]
I am close to MRU level in terms of number of phones I go through (I even import some that I cannot get in the US). With that said, the S8+ is one of the fastest Android Devices I've ever used, being behind Pixel for sure. With that said I do see his point. It seems Samsung has gone backwards on the software in allowing more apps to be open on the S7 than the S8 but the good news is this could be tweaked with software if they so choose (but I don't think they will). For my use case, this phone has been phenomenal. It does everything I want to and then some with very few hiccups.

No software is perfect. Not stock Android, and certainly not iOS. Samsung's software experience has been my favorite so far; a healthy and excellent blend of features and stability. Pixel is cleaner and faster, but the features are just lacking (there wasn't even sound profiles, which drove me nuts).

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Let's be fair, they are doing both. They just excel at the hardware better/faster.

You cannot say their software is the same as last year's, or the year before that, etc. It's overall gotten nothing but better.
But I genuinely would query whether software improved outside of aesthtics this year ? In my own case, I do think in many ways it has regressed from the S7/7e.

But as with everything YMMV kicks in as a big factor as all our usage cases are different.

Honestly I do think the hardware is phenomenal. I'm just not sold so far on how the software is serving my need / usage patterns which is a real pity.

Reactions: Roadstar

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I think Samsung will go 6gb standard with the Note 8 so hopefully even if they don't change software, the extra ram will allow more apps. If anything the S8 has made me think the Note 8 will be the Samsung device for this year that most of us truly want. (Including better FP scanner placement and dual camera)
For me i never go back that many apps and expect the data to not be reset. I have used apps on my S8+ and gone back as many as 6 and not had an app refresh. But for my uses that is plenty. I can browse the web with chrome and copy paste links into Tapatalk....go back and do more research and and paste more links and the data never refreshes. The ram management issue you describe hasn't affected the way I my phone so far. But everyone uses their phones differently. there is a lot of computing power in smartphones. It is nice to be able to use all of the resources they have!

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
No software is perfect. Not stock Android, and certainly not iOS. Samsung's software experience has been my favorite so far; a healthy and excellent blend of features and stability. Pixel is cleaner and faster, but the features are just lacking (there wasn't even sound profiles, which drove me nuts).

Summed up to perfection. Its all about balance and i think Samsung have got it just right. Touchwiz has been getting better each year, i think they have done a wonderful job to cut down on the bloat while keeping so many cool features. Its not perfect but there is no other phone i would swap it for right now.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
But I genuinely would query whether software improved outside of aesthtics this year ? In my own case, I do think in many ways it has regressed from the S7/7e.

As an S7E owner for the majority of last year, I strongly disagree. I'd take this year's software experience over last year's easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.