Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just got an urgent update on my TMO S8+.
I was hoping it was the June security patch but no such luck.
449231828c036729a602385f16aae6d2.jpg

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Yeah, Not had the problem since the S6 / S6e on any device since then regardless iOS or android other than now on the S8. At least I have a plethora of other devices I can go running with instead. More of an inconvenience really.

Add that app as unmanaged in battery optimization so it can use as much battery in background without being put to sleep.

And also put a lock on the app in task manager so you don't kill it accidentally. I find some apps are badly designed that you need to open the app first and use home button to put in background - lazy direct port from iOS.

Reactions: jamezr

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I just went through my apps, I easily got to 11 apps before I saw the first refresh.

And even then, it refreshes in a split second. I understand RAM management is important, but to me, I dare call this nitpicking. I can spare a split second if the 12th or so app has to refresh. Again, not to take anything away from your needs/usage, MRU.

Ditto :)

Before MRU posted his recent detailed observations, 2 days back when this issue was noted I did the same loaded about 10 or so apps and flicked through them and then tried again the following day having them still loaded

About the only refresh I could see that happened in a split second was on Apps requiring some internet update eg going to playstore and switching between my apps and the store default home page that got refreshed

I always notice that opening your device settings/apps list takes a few seconds on 1st opening before the list is populated but subsequent attempts to view and scroll is always fine

Defiantly a YMMV IMO :)

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
And about leaving apps in background. I certainly would not leave Internet browser in the background (for extended period) with any of this forum pages opened since those pages do automatic refreshes - thus using more battery.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I was going to come in here to say that I'm having issues with an unresponsive home button, but then I switched over to Nova and it seems to have disappeared.

That being said, I just got keyboard lag out of nowhere typing this so it seems restarting the phone might be needed.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Can I check with S8 Plus owners who have the new charging pad. How long does it take to charge from near empty to full?

I have an old pad from when I got the Note 5 and it takes about 2 hr 40 min. But the phone did show "fast charging wireless" message,

I was going to come in here to say that I'm having issues with an unresponsive home button, but then I switched over to Nova and it seems to have disappeared.

That being said, I just got keyboard lag out of nowhere typing this so it seems restarting the phone might be needed.

Also, with samsung keyboard the letter popup doesnt seem instantaneous sometimes when you tap on the letter. But it doesnt affect the typing speed though. Anyway, I use swipe typing a lot and the samsung keyboard is quite competent in this.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Also, with samsung keyboard the letter popup doesnt seem instantaneous sometimes when you tap on the letter. But it doesnt affect the typing speed though. Anyway, I use swipe typing a lot and the samsung keyboard is quite competent in this.

I'm using GBoard.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Add that app as unmanaged in battery optimization so it can use as much battery in background without being put to sleep.

And also put a lock on the app in task manager so you don't kill it accidentally. I find some apps are badly designed that you need to open the app first and use home button to put in background - lazy direct port from iOS.
Sadly I had already put them in unmanaged to see if it mitigated my ram issues but it made absolutely no difference. Likewise these are not legacy issues from iOS as they work perfectly in all my other Android devices.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
And about leaving apps in background. I certainly would not leave Internet browser in the background (for extended period) with any of this forum pages opened since those pages do automatic refreshes - thus using more battery.
That's not how it works on a mobile. Chrome & Samsung Internet would not refresh an internet tab/page once the application is backgrounded. It would only do that if the application was in the foreground.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Can I check with S8 Plus owners who have the new charging pad. How long does it take to charge from near empty to full?

I have an old pad from when I got the Note 5 and it takes about 2 hr 40 min. But the phone did show "fast charging wireless" message,

Around 2 hours and 20mins with latest Samsung Fast Charge Pad.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Sadly I had already put them in unmanaged to see if it mitigated my ram issues but it made absolutely no difference. Likewise these are not legacy issues from iOS as they work perfectly in all my other Android devices.

Then that's quite strange. Did you install any task killers/memory cleaners that can mess up the operation of those apps in the background?

I have something like 20 "basic" apps running in background or as service (e.g whatsapp/line/fbm, speed/ram/cpu meters, news/pod feeder, tasker, folder sync, widgets etc). I put all these apps to unmanaged just to be sure they dont get put to sleep. And not one of these apps have any issues of not working properly in the background. I just check my phone up time ~ 7 days now. I think I have run lots of other apps in this period to run down the RAM. Even the ram hogger TSF launcher didn't reload at all.

Maybe you should try resetting your phone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Then that's quite strange. Did you install any task killers/memory cleaners that can mess up the operation of those apps in the background?

Nope. Task Killers & Memory cleaners have been utterly redundant for years for anyone who has been using Android for similarly as long.

Trust me I have done everything. Others are having similar issues over on XDA with ram management, so at least I am not alone.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/ram-management-issues-t3594086

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/memory-management-aggressive-t3597924

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/how-to/poor-ram-management-t3608631

Clearly my issue is not an isolated case. I just have to hope Samsung have some fix for it.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Nope. Task Killers & Memory cleaners have been utterly redundant for years for anyone who has been using Android for similarly as long.

Trust me I have done everything. Others are having similar issues over on XDA with ram management, so at least I am not alone.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/ram-management-issues-t3594086

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/memory-management-aggressive-t3597924

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/ram-management-low-free-ram-t3597638

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/how-to/poor-ram-management-t3608631

Clearly my issue is not an isolated case. I just have to hope Samsung have some fix for it.

These people are talking about free RAM. But current Android versions, the free RAM is inconsequential as unused RAM is used as cache and not released back. The S8 seems to stabilize free RAM at around > 600 Mb. My R9s+ which has 6GB RAM stabilized free RAM at about 1Gb.

But one thing is for sure. Samsung phone has more systems apps/services running. The "Android System" contains more packages than my R9s+.

App reloading is not an issue but apps not working in background IS. If you can have 6-10 apps before reloading happens, I think for most people is not an issue. Many don't even notice since the app reloading finished in a blink of an eye (unless you are talking about games).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
These people are talking about free RAM. But current Android versions, the free RAM is inconsequential as unused RAM is used as cache and not released back. The S8 seems to stabilize free RAM at around > 600 Mb. My R9s+ which has 6GB RAM stabilized free RAM at about 1Gb.

But one thing is for sure. Samsung phone has more systems apps/services running. The "Android System" contains more packages than my R9s+.

App reloading is not an issue but apps not working in background IS. If you can have 6-10 apps before reloading happens, I think for most people is not an issue. Many don't even notice since the app reloading finished in a blink of an eye (unless you are talking about games).
No they are not. They are talking about how they are only able to get 5-6 apps open before content is either force refreshed or reloaded because the ram managment has expunged the ram.

This is aggressive. Period.

Again watch my G6 handling ram. 14 apps and not once does it 'force' content refresh. No force refreshes in YouTube or Facebook, no refresh in Gallery or Photos, No force refresh in Music. Everything is where it should be. My Pixel gets around 11-12 before similar. The S8 for me 5-6 and apps are forced to reload or refresh their content, which then means the S8 is using more data and resources.

Clearly you are happy with the way your S8 performs and do not mind the content being continually refreshed. But dont tell me that its normal or indicative of Android behaviour in general because it simply isn't.

Again I am tired now of discussing this as it is invariably turning into the usual moribund argument where the end users are painted as 'at fault' for what is a software issue.

If It doesn't bother you - which is good. For me and others it's an issue and one that currently is only exhibited on my S8 and not my other Android devices.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
No they are not. They are talking about how they are only able to get 5-6 apps open before content is either force refreshed or reloaded because the ram managment has expunged the ram.

This is aggressive. Period.

Again watch my G6 handling ram. 14 apps and not once does it 'force' content refresh. No force refreshes in YouTube or Facebook, no refresh in Gallery or Photos, No force refresh in Music. Everything is where it should be. My Pixel gets around 11-12 before similar. The S8 for me 5-6 and apps are forced to reload or refresh their content, which then means the S8 is using more data and resources.

Clearly you are happy with the way your S8 performs and do not mind the content being continually refreshed. But dont tell me that its normal or indicative of Android behaviour in general because it simply isn't.

Again I am tired now of discussing this as it is invariably turning into the usual moribund argument where the end users are painted as 'at fault' for what is a software issue.

If It doesn't bother you - which is good. For me and others it's an issue and one that currently is only exhibited on my S8 and not my other Android devices.

I understand where you are coming from. And I am not saying you are wrong. Of course, I agree the more apps that it can hold before reloading is better. But, is it really an issue that you said it is? That is a bit gray there. An issue is like the pink screen issue.

Let me ask you. What kind of benefit you get if you have 15 apps without reloading? If you are spending 1-2 min on each one - it will take you 14-28 minutes before you cycle through all of them. That's a long time. Do you still want to see data that is avg 20 min old for apps like twitter or fb? You don't. In fact, it is better if these apps are reloaded. Otherwise, you may mistaken looking at old data like new. Also, it saves you the trouble of manually refreshing the data yourself.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I understand where you are coming from. And I am not saying you are wrong. Of course, I agree the more apps that it can hold before reloading is better. But, is it really an issue that you said it is? That is a bit gray there. An issue is like the pink screen issue.

Let me ask you. What kind of benefit you get if you have 15 apps without reloading? If you are spending 1-2 min on each one - it will take you 14-28 minutes before you cycle through all of them. That's a long time. Do you still want to see data that is avg 20 min old for apps like twitter or fb? You don't. In fact, it is better if these apps are reloaded. Otherwise, you may mistaken looking at old data like new. Also, it saves you the trouble of manually refreshing the data yourself.
But If you are going to use that argument then you may as well say what is the point of having 4gb in any device?. We should simply go back to 1gb if having apps constantly refresh contents or reload is somehow better.

Last edited:
Reactions: torana355 and I7guy

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
But If you are going to use that argument then you may as well say what is the point of having 4gb in any device?. We should simply go back to 1gb if having apps constantly refresh contents or reload is somehow better.

I think 6-9 apps are pretty reasonable to cover most users requirement. More importantly is that the phone doesn't slow down. My phone is up for over a week and there is no perceptible change in performance.

It is not perfect now but hopefully like you say Samsung can improve it over time.

Reactions: MRU and torana355

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I think what he is saying is that even though its great if your phone can hold all your apps in ram, it's really not necessary. I did not even notice any issue until i saw your post and opened as many apps as i could to test it. I would be interested in the root cause of the issue. To me it seems like Samsung have done this for a reason but who knows what it is. If the LG is able to hold more apps in Ram then perhaps that phone is better suited to your needs, however for most people i don't think it is even an issue.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Any recommendations for a wireless charging stand (doesn't have to be fast charging) for around $20 USD that I can use for my Galaxy S8? I'm temped to keep it on a charging stand at work so that I have full battery when I'm running about after work. TIA.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.