Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Thanks. That was among the 3 I had my eye on. There's currently a 25% off coupon on Amazon too bringing it down to $14.99. I may give it a try.

Not to spend your money for you, but at that price you should grab it even if you wind up getting another one. I have 2-3 between my home and office. Wireless charging isn't a necessity for me, but if it's present in a device it's sooo cool.

Reactions: epicrayban

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Just got my June security patch on my US Unlocked S8+ on T-Mobile (which was previously a Verizon model). So it seems like I will get my updates from Samsung after all and not my carrier (T-Mobile). I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing yet.

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Just got my June security patch on my US Unlocked S8+ on T-Mobile (which was previously a Verizon model). So it seems like I will get my updates from Samsung after all and not my carrier (T-Mobile). I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing yet.
Well you would think better since its skipping the carrier.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
Got an update on my s8 plus exynos now i can hide the nav bar has a little dot
2edf638738bb57eb977c9f17764c0289.jpg
d27d9cb67adf4eb252b049b70552fd81.jpg
e332db93909a06d06015daab5beac133.jpg

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s8-top-smartphones-consumer-reports-779866/

Galaxy S8 duo named top two smartphones by Consumer Reports

As of now, the top three spots are occupied by Samsung-made devices: Galaxy S8 Plus is currently the top smartphone in the market according to Consumer Reports, followed by its smaller sibling Galaxy S8 and last year’s curved flagship Galaxy S7 Edge. The LG G6 is ranked fourth and the iPhone 7 Plus follows suit despite being almost a year old.

[doublepost=1497465992][/doublepost]

That's exactly what I have, too. It's fantastic.

I say this every time about the merits of wireless charging: it's not necessarily about not having to deal with a plug to charge, it's more about having your device's battery top off anytime you set it down.

[doublepost=1497466444][/doublepost]

I got it a few days ago, too. Also unlocked and using it on Tmobile. Good to see Samsung trying to stay true to their promise of keeping up with sec. patches. Let's see how long they can keep this up.

Last year, my S7E from Tmobile (not unlocked) missed only 2 non-consecutive months. If Samsung can pull off the same or better, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: HiDEF and jamezr

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Still waiting for the update on my O2 S8 (the last update was about 10 days late so no surprise there, really!)

On the subject of wireless charging stands, this is the one I got from Amazon (actually, I got two - one for my desk and one for my bedside table)
I've been really pleased with it - it's got a moveable coil so you can set it at the optimal position for charging and the light on it is very subtle so doesn't disturb you on a night

Reactions: co.ag.2005

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I switch between phones alot and sometimes daily between a iphone 7+, Pixel XL and my S8+.
I gotta say the more I switch between phones....................the more i hate the FPS on the S8+.
Can't wait for the Note 8.

Reactions: MRU and widgeteer

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Your weekly reminder that my phone is a lying liar that lies. Or is it because I ended up putting the SIM card back in the iPhone?

08FDD2B4-698A-44D1-A3E3-2FD5DEB06E95.jpg B3CA342D-7B9A-4ED4-B2B8-78BB0AC57313.jpg

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I switch between phones alot and sometimes daily between a iphone 7+, Pixel XL and my S8+.
I gotta say the more I switch between phones....................the more i hate the FPS on the S8+.

Yup yup yup. Just when I think I'm getting used to it, it reminds me that not only does its placement suck but purely as a fingerprint reader, it's a dumpster fire.

Samsung Pay is awesome and deserves an awesome means of unlocking it.

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yup yup yup. Just when I think I'm getting used to it, it reminds me that not only does its placement suck but purely as a fingerprint reader, it's a dumpster fire.

I literally decided not to bother and save myself the headache. I just use pattern unlock instead.

No June security fix yet but at least I am on May.

Any word on when we will get Android 7.1.1 on the S8.

Both LG & Samsung promised update soon after launch and both are lingering on 7.0

Reactions: jamezr

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK

How do you keep everything in sync?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
ouch! Which phone did that?

This year it's the iPhone 7 Plus. Last year around this time it was the 6S Plus and occasionally the HTC 10. The year before that it was the iPhone 6 Plus.

And yes, they all did something similar in summer while I was at work. Not hot enough to not be able to touch, but consistently hot enough to do that on a twelve hour shift.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

for me, it's not placement. It's that it just doesn't work well. Very slow to recognize my finger, about 80% of the time I have to put my finger on the sensor (nothing happens), lift my finger up, and then replace on the sensor and then it finally does something.

Reactions: HiDEF

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
for me, it's not placement. It's that it just doesn't work well. Very slow to recognize my finger, about 80% of the time I have to put my finger on the sensor (nothing happens), lift my finger up, and then replace on the sensor and then it finally does something.

I've found the FPS really reliable (probably more than 9 times out of 10 it works first time). I do have a case with a cutout for the FPS in it which makes locating it a lot easier so that could have something to do with it (I also registered each of my index fingers twice), but I've found I can unlock it as I take the phone out of my pocket and it's ready to go before I see the screen: I'm actually using the FPS far more than I did at first (or I thought I would) simply because it works so well!

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I've found the FPS really reliable (probably more than 9 times out of 10 it works first time). I do have a case with a cutout for the FPS in it which makes locating it a lot easier so that could have something to do with it (I also registered each of my index fingers twice), but I've found I can unlock it as I take the phone out of my pocket and it's ready to go before I see the screen: I'm actually using the FPS far more than I did at first (or I thought I would) simply because it works so well!

Same here, all around. Oh well, I usually use the smart unlock (with Gear S3) and holding down home button to unlock. I'm quick with it out of my pocket too. Just wish FP was better

EDIT: also, for those of you who are interested, here's what the Slickwraps Natural Series brown leather looks like on the S8. I can't wait for it to patina darker where I think it'll look better! has good FP cutout too.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
How do you keep everything in sync?
I have all my contacts and calendar in Google cloud services. My email accounts gmail/hotmail as well. I never turn on imessaging so don't have worry about that on my iphone 7+. so it is fairly simple to switch. Just pop out the sim and pop in into another phone. I use the same set of apps on all the phones and they are all connected to wifi in my home so they are already in sync with everything. the only thing that doesn't sync is text messages. But its not a big deal for me.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.