Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Been thinking the same as of late. The S8+ is nice, but iOS is hassle free. So, I'm on the fence, but I'm strongly considering using one of my jumps to get a iPhone 7 32gb (just so I don't have to put a down) and hold off until iPhone 8.
Yeah it would be easier if I had the 7 but I have the 6s. Still a great phone but clearly a downgrade. Another benefit of iOS would be video sharing. I currently have to use Facebook messenger

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah definitely count me in as someone who uses both an iPhone and a Samsung. I prefer my Samsung S8+ for making phone calls since call quality is better on it. I prefer the iPhone 7 Plus for texting. I use the cameras on both about equally. Internet and media consumption split between both. I buy Kindle books on my Samsung because I can't do that on an iPhone thanks to Apple wanting a 30% cut on everything. But I read the Kindle books on both phones. It's great, if I run the battery down on one phone I just switch to the other. The books sync so that don't have to hunt for the page I was on.

The funny thing is that I complained incessantly about the size of the iPhone Plus sized phones and what a pain it is to carry one of them, especially in the summer when I am wearing light clothing. In fact I ditched my iPhone 6 S plus for an iPhone SE.

So explain to me how I now can carry TWO huge phablets, sometimes stuffed into the same jeans pocket and not bat an eyelash. I didn't get any fatter or taller. I went to a party with both phones stuffed into my pockets. Sometimes they were in the same pocket and sometimes one was in my back pocket and one was in the front pocket. I didn't even notice. I'm only 5'2". It's insane. I'm insane. I have them in folio cases so stuffing them together doesn't scratch them at all.

A new problem has cropped up for me and that is that the fingerprint scanner on my S+ has stopped working well. It was working so beautifully for me and then sometime about a week or week and a half ago I noticed it is failing to recognize my prints and I have to unlock using my passcode.

It still works but the failure rate has shot through the roof. I keep it clean and my fingers are clean and the prints look good. I'm wearing gloves for yard and housework so my prints aren't chapped or anything like that.

It's weird and I am bummed about it.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Starting using AOD and it's really quite useful! Even just to glance.

I've only started using it, is there a hit to the battery by leaving AOD on?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

None that's noticeable. A daily 3-6% at the most, is what I noticed when I rotated using it daily for the first week. There might be a very small difference depending what your AOD is and if it's in color or not. Also, AOD turns off after x amount of time when you put it in your pocket, if you have "Keep Screen Turned Off" enabled.

Reactions: epicrayban

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Not that I have noticed when I was using a standard case. I can't say it ever seemed to affect my S7 and S7 Edge all that much either.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Awesome to all the above. First time using AOD in earnest. I'm liking it so far. This means I can turn off wave to wake.

Once again, the hard press home button is put to great use here.

Last edited:

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Picked up an s8 + 1 day ago. I'm impressed up to now. I'm going to give it a week to see how I like it before commiting to keeping it or not

Reactions: HiDEF

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
A new problem has cropped up for me and that is that the fingerprint scanner on my S+ has stopped working well. It was working so beautifully for me and then sometime about a week or week and a half ago I noticed it is failing to recognize my prints and I have to unlock using my passcode.

It still works but the failure rate has shot through the roof. I keep it clean and my fingers are clean and the prints look good. I'm wearing gloves for yard and housework so my prints aren't chapped or anything like that.

It's weird and I am bummed about it.

I had a similar issue with my S7E fingerprint scanner at one point. Some day the failure rate shot through the roof even though it seemed to recognize my fingers in the settings app. I sorted it out by recording duplicate entries for both of my thumbs starting from a different orientation compared to my initial recordings.

Reactions: AppleMichael

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I had a similar issue with my S7E fingerprint scanner at one point. Some day the failure rate shot through the roof even though it seemed to recognize my fingers in the settings app. I sorted it out by recording duplicate entries for both of my thumbs starting from a different orientation compared to my initial recordings.
Thank you! I will give it a try. I did try that on my S7 and S7 Edge but to be honest they never worked even a little bit for me from day one anyway. The S8+ fingerprint scanner initially worked poorly for me for the first day or two and then became great. Now it's absolutely awful again. But I'll try re-registering my print multiple times.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
This is me for the most part as well, using my iOS 7+ as my primary work device and my S8+ as my personal device. I don't even put my personal email on my iOS devices any longer. Much of this was driven by past business behavior of being able to keep my work/private files segregated, both for tax and legal purposes.

But having said that, I do primarily use my Android device as my telephone number for incoming calls. I just have my iPhone setup to call forward to my Android phone. I tried the Google voice thing for a couple of years and it worked well but I wasn't willing to port my 15 year old number from my iPhone to Google voice.

Too bad you can't easily spoof your Caller ID on each call or I'd use my Android phone for all outbound calls as well.
But is this not easily resolved by dual sim S8(+) and now being able to segregate apps etc in the new private mode area

Reactions: mib1800

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Battery been pretty decent since getting this phone.

Sot 4hr 19 mins with 37% remaining as I'm getting in bed

S8 plus. Exynos

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I've been using AOD all weekend and it really doesn't seem to impact battery life to any noticeable degree.

And AOD rocks! Super useful to be able to glance at your notifications. And looks especially good on my bed side wireless charging stand.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
You can with T-Mobile digits. It works gloriously. I can call from any phone even outside my carrier and it will show my number. I can also route incoming calls and texts as well :)

Yeah but...it's T-Mobile. I said I need to actually make and receive calls.

Kidding, kinda. I'll look into that.

Reactions: soulreaver99

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My husband had some weird problems with his S8+ yesterday. First, the connection between his Frontier Watch and his phone died. He couldn't get the two reconnected for a long while, though his phone did continue to recognize his other S2 Watch. Then inexplicably he was able to restore the connection.

Then we were out shopping for lawn furniture and he went to pull up pictures of the kind of furniture he had in mind and found his phone dead. Like it had run out of battery. Only it had only been off the charger about an hour so we knew it couldn't be that. I was worried it had bricked itself.

I had to go get some stuff and when I came back to where he was in the store his phone was working again. He had rebooted it but I forgot to ask him how many attempts he had to make. I think it had been more than one because he was talking about sending it in for service and I had offered to lend him mine before I left to get the other stuff I was shopping for.

We have a funeral (again) to go to so I don't know when he's going to get to troubleshoot his phone. If he finds out what the problem was I'll let you all know.

I did ask him if these recent troubles made him want to go back to his iPhone as his main phone, but he said he had no plans to. He's really bought into the customization that Android and the Frontier Watch offer. He now just wants to get things more stable.
[doublepost=1497875167][/doublepost]

lol I can't get any kind of signal on T-Mobile most places in my town. I had T-Mobile on an iPad and I rarely could get a signal. Some people are lucky to get good coverage where they live.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Hahaha..yup. Anytime I see some great offer from Sprint or TMO I'm tempted up until I remember I still use my phone to make calls. They're not as bad as they were a few years ago but VZW and ATT are still noticeably better where I live.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Hahaha..yup. Anytime I see some great offer from Sprint or TMO I'm tempted up until I remember I still use my phone to make calls. They're not as bad as they were a few years ago but VZW and ATT are still noticeably better where I live.

yeah, I've been kicking around switching my line to T-Mobile so I could use the OnePlus 5 and other GSM phones that won't work on Verizon. But the times I've tested T-Mobile, it's not been good. Plus we spend a good amount of our year in Northern Wisconsin where all T-Mobile phones just roam on AT&T, so you basically get a few MB's of data before you can't use your phone anymore.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Hardware wise, the S8 is fantastic excluding the battery life. The S8+ may have good battery life. However, I do have some reservations using it. The stock messaging app is clunky as hell with the "mark as default" options for contacts even if I already chose the default many a time. Battery life is meh. I miss iMessage that's for sure. I miss out on voice mails because of T-Mobile plus I miss visual voice mail on the iOS side too. Already starting to notice lag with apps opening when I had to open the Reddit app, close it, and then reopen it again. I know other phones lag too, but it has me worried about the inevitable Samsung bog down. Plus, with the Note 8 coming out soon, I have to jump to another device and use that to get better battery life I guess because I don't want to charge my phones too much. I just don't know if I can commit to the S8 for multiple years even though it's a great phone with little hassle.

I am leaning towards the, gasp, iPhone 8 right now.

Hinds90

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2017
Some times I have the same issue with the finger print scanner. Like my iPhone 6+ a power off or restart fixes most issues.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
What messaging app is good where I can replace the Samsung messaging one? Samsung one is too clunky and adds too many unnecessary steps here and there.

And @MRU Is the LG G6 software experience better than the S8 despite the 821 processor? The Samsung Experience is better than last year and the past, but the inevitable bog down will come in soon on the Snapdragon side.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Well folks, the day has come where I switched back to iOS. I will say this, the Galaxy S8 is an amazing phone and it was the ecosystem that pulled me back. In the end I just could not live without iMessage and Facetime and with pretty much every single family member and my closest friends having iPhones it was just too much of a compromise after a while.

It's been awesome taking part of these discussions. I hope you all continue to enjoy the phone. I will of course keep my eye on the section because I do love both platforms.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Well folks, the day has come where I switched back to iOS. I will say this, the Galaxy S8 is an amazing phone and it was the ecosystem that pulled me back. In the end I just could not live without iMessage and Facetime and with pretty much every single family member and my closest friends having iPhones it was just too much of a compromise after a while.

It's been awesome taking part of these discussions. I hope you all continue to enjoy the phone. I will of course keep my eye on the section because I do love both platforms.
I don't really get it. iMessage just converts to texting. And for FaceTime, use Duo, which is free and is basically FaceTime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.