Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
for me, it's not placement. It's that it just doesn't work well. Very slow to recognize my finger, about 80% of the time I have to put my finger on the sensor (nothing happens), lift my finger up, and then replace on the sensor and then it finally does something.

Someone suggested that if you register the same finger twice it will be much better.

For me, I have no issue with it.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
That's not how it works on a mobile. Chrome & Samsung Internet would not refresh an internet tab/page once the application is backgrounded. It would only do that if the application was in the foreground.

Just encountered something that may be useful for everyone to know. My phone heated up just now. The only app I had in background was Internet browser. I checked the cpu usage and it was consistently high. I closed the browser and immediately the cpu usage went back to normal.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Someone suggested that if you register the same finger twice it will be much better.

For me, I have no issue with it.

I have. I'll try to re-register this weekend. But all the S8s I've had are the same way. I'm not getting print rejects, it just does nothing until I lift and place finger on again. Like it needs to turn on with the first press and works the second one. It's not always like this but is the majority of the time.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I have. I'll try to re-register this weekend. But all the S8s I've had are the same way. I'm not getting print rejects, it just does nothing until I lift and place finger on again. Like it needs to turn on with the first press and works the second one. It's not always like this but is the majority of the time.

Did you get the vibrate to tell you it doesnt recognize the fp? It should if fps detected you finger.

For me it near 100% success rate if my finger covered most of the fps when I touch it.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Finger print sensor has been great for me. I'd say better and faster than the s7e.

I definitely registered my two index fingers twice. I rarely get failures. Try that @co.ag.2005. Hopefully it gets better for you.

Also, face unlock is amazing. I only go for it if I know I'm under good conditions. Like if I have my sunglasses on, I'll automatically go for the FPS. But if I know I'm good for facial unlock, I go for that and it is amazing and quick. Really quite fun to use. Great that I can pick knowing which I want to use and that I can rely on either.
[doublepost=1497578298][/doublepost]
S8 / Android has the option of using Smart Lock. Now that's magical :)

Yes. Again, things are just easier on Android. This is a great example.

Back then, I'd set up a toggle for the lock screen. When I was at home, I'd toggle it off. When I went out, toggle back on for the security. I loved it. Now, I don't even need the toggle anymore. It just works.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Hate to admit it, but I'm starting to get that itch to return to iOS. I do love this phone but it was two simple things that drive me nuts tonight.

1. A group text with all people that have iMessage. It was just such a clunky experience. They got my texts out of order. And they were late getting to me. Very annoying.

2. My mother in law, who is a bit technically challenged, kept trying to FaceTime me tonight. Not this phones fault but made me realize how much I miss FaceTime.

Ugh. I was hoping this day wouldn't come.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Hate to admit it, but I'm starting to get that itch to return to iOS. I do love this phone but it was two simple things that drive me nuts tonight.

1. A group text with all people that have iMessage. It was just such a clunky experience. They got my texts out of order. And they were late getting to me. Very annoying.

2. My mother in law, who is a bit technically challenged, kept trying to FaceTime me tonight. Not this phones fault but made me realize how much I miss FaceTime.

Sometimes the ecosystem overrides the great phone.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
In your situation, makes sense to go back to iOS. You gave the s8 a fair shot. The iPhone is a good phone.
Painful choice for sure. Again.. Love this phone. The only real annoyance I have other than the two situations I listed is the lock screen. I use the phone for work and their security disables smart lock. Sometimes this phone is a real pain to unlock.

Reactions: epicrayban

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Why not have both?

Reactions: mjschabow

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I think I've found a solution. my iPhone 7 Plus as my main driver (with SSSB AW 2 Link) and my S8 as a secondary phone (with work emails too). Yes, I will have two phones but won't carry them both 100% of the time. Best of both worlds.

I need my main sim in my iPhone for messaging (group chats) and FaceTime.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think I've found a solution. my iPhone 7 Plus as my main driver (with SSSB AW 2 Link) and my S8 as a secondary phone (with work emails too). Yes, I will have two phones but won't carry them both 100% of the time. Best of both worlds.

I need my main sim in my iPhone for messaging (group chats) and FaceTime.

A lot of us here are using both. Similarly my iPhone is my main number for messaging, contacts, telephone calls and email. TBH, no android phone I've ever had works better for handling legacy .mac email accounts than my iPhone and Mac do. Plus messaging being accessible and with High Sierra proper syncing / unification between my desktop, laptop and phone - for work stuff it simply is a no brainier for me to keep iOS as my work tool.

I still sync my emails to my android devices but they don't support push,only fetch and sometimes there are delays or annoyances when deleting them. Gmail has a habit of going through process of deleting and then brings it back as a new message, thus requiring deletion again.

Likewise I can't keep track of my text and iMessages from work clients as well as I can on iOS with message forwarding and answering from my computers.

My iPhone however barely gets used for music or YouTube or social media. Barely even use the camera despite it being a great camera generally. I tend to do all that on my android devices.

It's a setup that works for me. iPhone for work, Android for media consumption and camera / cameras.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Got an update on my s8 plus exynos now i can hide the nav bar has a little dot
2edf638738bb57eb977c9f17764c0289.jpg
d27d9cb67adf4eb252b049b70552fd81.jpg
e332db93909a06d06015daab5beac133.jpg

Got my software update yesterday.

Kudos to Samsung - this is the most-updated Galaxy I've owned thus far (S4, S6, S7, S8).

I've owned the phone for 6 weeks and it has already received one minor patch and 2 major software updates! Really hope Samsung can keep it up.

Only thing to remember is to disable overlays manually (it resets it after updates). Was reticent buying an S8 but definitely glad I bit the bullet, totally worth it.
[doublepost=1497604917][/doublepost]
A lot of us here are using both. Similarly my iPhone is my main number for messaging, contacts, telephone calls and email. TBH, no android phone I've ever had works better for handling legacy .mac email accounts than my iPhone and Mac do. Plus messaging being accessible and with High Sierra proper syncing / unification between my desktop, laptop and phone - for work stuff it simply is a no brainier for me to keep iOS as my work tool.

I still sync my emails to my android devices but they don't support push,only fetch and sometimes there are delays or annoyances when deleting them. Gmail has a habit of going through process of deleting and then brings it back as a new message, thus requiring deletion again.

Likewise I can't keep track of my text and iMessages from work clients as well as I can on iOS with message forwarding and answering from my computers.

My iPhone however barely gets used for music or YouTube or social media. Barely even use the camera despite it being a great camera generally. I tend to do all that on my android devices.

It's a setup that works for me. iPhone for work, Android for media consumption and camera / cameras.

I'm going to do this soon too. Android for personal, iPhone for work. Will make like easier for me!

Waiting for new iPhones to be released so can make appropriate decision for which model etc. It's a business expense :D

Reactions: MRU

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
So after resetting the device and not restoring my backup, I'm getting great (for me) battery life. I can easily make the day now with room to spare with 4 - 5 hrs SOT

What is most annoying though is that I haven't received the update currently rolling out to Europe at the moment. Currently stuck on the April security patch. Its this sort of BS from Samsung that could mean my S8+ replacement is a Pixel

However, I don't plan on going back to iOS in the near future. I've worked around my issues quite easily (probably as I don't have any friends and group chats to worry about).

I've got the phone running how I want simply with Nova and their new Google Now companion app which means I can swipte left and get Google Now and not Bixby

Reactions: co.ag.2005

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So after resetting the device and not restoring my backup, I'm getting great (for me) battery life. I can easily make the day now with room to spare with 4 - 5 hrs SOT

What is most annoying though is that I haven't received the update currently rolling out to Europe at the moment. Currently stuck on the April security patch. Its this sort of BS from Samsung that could mean my S8+ replacement is a Pixel

However, I don't plan on going back to iOS in the near future. I've worked around my issues quite easily (probably as I don't have any friends and group chats to worry about).

I've got the phone running how I want simply with Nova and their new Google Now companion app which means I can swipte left and get Google Now and not Bixby

Oh wow, didn't know about that!

How does that work, then?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

S8 or S8+?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

This is me for the most part as well, using my iOS 7+ as my primary work device and my S8+ as my personal device. I don't even put my personal email on my iOS devices any longer. Much of this was driven by past business behavior of being able to keep my work/private files segregated, both for tax and legal purposes.

But having said that, I do primarily use my Android device as my telephone number for incoming calls. I just have my iPhone setup to call forward to my Android phone. I tried the Google voice thing for a couple of years and it worked well but I wasn't willing to port my 15 year old number from my iPhone to Google voice.

Too bad you can't easily spoof your Caller ID on each call or I'd use my Android phone for all outbound calls as well.

Reactions: Roadstar and MRU

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
This is me for the most part as well, using my iOS 7+ as my primary work device and my S8+ as my personal device. I don't even put my personal email on my iOS devices any longer. Much of this was driven by past business behavior of being able to keep my work/private files segregated, both for tax and legal purposes.

But having said that, I do primarily use my Android device as my telephone number for incoming calls. I just have my iPhone setup to call forward to my Android phone. I tried the Google voice thing for a couple of years and it worked well but I wasn't willing to port my 15 year old number from my iPhone to Google voice.

Too bad you can't easily spoof your Caller ID on each call or I'd use my Android phone for all outbound calls as well.
You can with T-Mobile digits. It works gloriously. I can call from any phone even outside my carrier and it will show my number. I can also route incoming calls and texts as well :)

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL

Been thinking the same as of late. The S8+ is nice, but iOS is hassle free. So, I'm on the fence, but I'm strongly considering using one of my jumps to get a iPhone 7 32gb (just so I don't have to put a down) and hold off until iPhone 8.

I think overall, I'm over the Samsung user experience and just want vanilla android. But, who am I kidding, I'll most likely pick up a Note 8 :) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.