Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Thats fine, I've just not come across a situation where an iPhone user has not moved over to Whatsapp in my large group of friends and family. Statistics never tell the full story. The bottom line is if you want to be able to group message across platforms you have to use a third party solution. iMessage is great if everyone you know owns a iPhone, but if they don't it just does not make sense. Personally i wish Android and iOS would create a cross platform messaging solution, the fragmentation is just silly.

In the case of mixed friends people use Facebook messenger not whatsapp for the most part.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Here is something I discovered about the AOD. It uses about 0.8% battery per hour. Difference overnight with/without AOD.

Also if you noticed your phone sometimes gets warm (and battery drains faster) when you are not using it, the most likely culprit is the samsung browser. Especially when you are moving around (or when wifi connects/disconnects frequently). So do close the browser in task manager if you are not using it for extended period. Don't leave it in the background.

Note: you dont see the browser consumes battery in Battery Usage. But I think the browser is causing Android System to consume battery.

Reactions: Demo Kit

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I always hear people saying they go back to iPhone because group messaging gets all messed up and makes their lives difficult. I guess I'm in the minority that I rarely get group messages and when I do, I get out as fast as I can. Maybe I'm just old and boring lol but I have no problem going back and forth between iPhone and Android. When I switch I just sign out of iMessage and never have any issues on Android messaging people.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I am sure there are many of us that will inevitably shift back to an iPhone for reasons on end.

The S8 is a fantastic phone, but I am considering a return to an iPhone daily driver because it has better stand by battery life, plus the rumored changes are sufficient enough for me to ignore the lack of a headphone jack since I would get a better processor, easier to place glass screen protectors, and most of the features flagship Androids have. If the iPhone 8 doesn't have a lot of the LTE-A, 600 MHz, and Gigabit speeds, maybe I might just go Note 8 instead. The inevitable Samsung performance bog has me considering leaving the S8, but time will tell with my S7 when I use it every so often.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Interesting discussion about friends and family.

Personally, I am old and annoying and I think I've used FaceTime once in my life. And anybody sending me a text or iMessage is unlikely to ever get a response :p

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Endless cycle for a lot of us. iPhone, get bored of iPhone and switch to Galaxy, complain about lag and missing iMessage and then switch back to previous iPhone, get excited about the new Note so you switch to that and then complain about lag, miss iMessage and you get excited about the new iPhone and you switch to that, and then get disappointed and bored of it... endless cycle for like 5+ years!

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Endless cycle for a lot of us. iPhone, get bored of iPhone and switch to Galaxy, complain about lag and missing iMessage and then switch back to previous iPhone, get excited about the new Note so you switch to that and then complain about lag, miss iMessage and you get excited about the new iPhone and you switch to that, and then get disappointed and bored of it... endless cycle for like 5+ years!
Nailed it

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I think this is accurate, and hits to a truth a lot of folks on this sub-forum don't like to hear: most folks still just want to use their phones, they don't want to tinker.

iMessage's success is entirely based on the fact that you receive texts and iMessages in the same app. No need to get anyone else to adopt a new program to send you something. If Google made similiar it would surpass iMessage purely due to install base. I'd bet it would kill stuff like WhatsApp in the States, at least.
I still don't get why Google hasn't come up with their own unified solution yet. What's stopping them? It would be huge. Maybe it's precisely because it would surpass WhatsApp and Messenger and all the smaller services? *shrug*

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013

Hahahaha! Love it! Don't forget the "Briefly ditch both for the Pixel and then return to cycle."

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I still don't get why Google hasn't come up with their own unified solution yet. What's stopping them? It would be huge. Maybe it's precisely because it would surpass WhatsApp and Messenger and all the smaller services? *shrug*

At one time Google hangout, whatsapp and the now defunct samsung Chaton integrated with SMS.
Not sure why this integration has been taken out now. In reality, it is not that difficult to do.

edit: think I know why the integration is taken out. I think in lots of countries they dont have unlimited SMS plus sending cross country SMS incurred (expensive) charge. In the US, maybe is OK with iMessage as maybe there very little inter-country messaging.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Not difficult, no, but it requires a lot of backend services, servers and bandwidth, not to mention the staff to maintain it. Google may be enormous with loads of money, but clearly they don't see this as a priority at the moment.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've never really used iMessage for group messaging because my social group is probably 50/50 android iOS so it wouldn't work very well - it's pretty much 100% Facebook messenger for social groups with a bit of Whatsapp: I don't particularly like Facebook messenger but I don't have a choice if I want to join in the conversations :)

The only iMessage group I used was with my wife and daughter (who are both on iOS) and I just told them we were moving to hangouts when I moved to Android and it's worked really well

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Not difficult, no, but it requires a lot of backend services, servers and bandwidth, not to mention the staff to maintain it. Google may be enormous with loads of money, but clearly they don't see this as a priority at the moment.
Looking back at Google's messaging app history, it could help with the adoption if they had a longer attention span than that of a goldfish. It's frustrating to try to migrate your friends to a new app, only to have Google kill the app halfway through the process.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
By the way, if anyone is interested in but my S8+, I'm putting it up for sale. I'll include a fast wireless charger and 256gb sd card. A couple cases too. PM me if interested. It's going on swappa soon too.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
By the way, if anyone is interested in but my S8+, I'm putting it up for sale. I'll include a fast wireless charger and 256gb sd card. A couple cases too. PM me if interested. It's going on swappa soon too.

Any particular reason for getting rid of it? Or was it a case that when you just switched back to ios for messaging and such and decided to stick ...

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Any particular reason for getting rid of it? Or was it a case that when you just switched back to ios for messaging and such and decided to stick ...

Yeah overall while I love the S8+, I ultimately missed the ease of iOS, so I'm going back to my 6s until the iPhone 8 comes out.

Great phone though. Just the annoyances of not having FaceTime and iMessage...also the difficulties unlocking the phone on first try did it in for me.

Reactions: MRU

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Really tempted by the Samsung bogo. Anyone know if a T-Mobile s8 can be flashed and used on Verizon with no issues?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Really tempted by the Samsung bogo. Anyone know if a T-Mobile s8 can be flashed and used on Verizon with no issues?

yes: LINK, files in OP (or download firmware from updato or sammobile); OR, just switch it to the US unlocked version. That's the phone I use and l love this firmware over the Verizon firmware: LINK

also, remember, in order to get that BOGO deal, one of the phones has to be activated on a T-Mobile sim via Samsung's website. so I'd imagine you could even borrow a buddy's sim to activate and then flash your VZW firmware (or the unlocked U1 firmware).

Last edited:
Reactions: spinedoc77

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I dont do SMS group anymore because like 90% of people I know have IOS. But when I did it was a hit and miss, some days it was fine while other days I get texts in a separate message or they come the next day.

Hm, I've never experienced that, and I regularly group text with colleagues.

That does sound annoying though.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I dont do SMS group anymore because like 90% of people I know have IOS. But when I did it was a hit and miss, some days it was fine while other days I get texts in a separate message or they come the next day.
It's not like iMessage would be that much more reliable either. Back when we used it with my wife, we had these conversations every now and then:

-Honey I'm home!
-Did you bring (something from the grocery store)?
-Oh bugger, I didn't know we were out of that
-I sent you a message an hour ago
-I didn't see any message
*Ding*
-Oh, there it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.