Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I wonder if Bixby Voice will be going live in the US soon? Saw this post on Reddit and noticed I had a crap ton of Bixby related updates pending in my Galaxy apps update section (screenshot from my phone).

EDIT: more screenshots of some of the Bixby Voice settings and information pages. Seems like an update still needs to update server side. imgur

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170620-101010.png
    Screenshot_20170620-101010.png
    394.5 KB · Views: 76

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
yes: LINK, files in OP (or download firmware from updato or sammobile); OR, just switch it to the US unlocked version. That's the phone I use and l love this firmware over the Verizon firmware: LINK

also, remember, in order to get that BOGO deal, one of the phones has to be activated on a T-Mobile sim via Samsung's website. so I'd imagine you could even borrow a buddy's sim to activate and then flash your VZW firmware (or the unlocked U1 firmware).

Oh I thought I had to open a T-Mobile account. My brother has T-Mobile, so I can just put one of his sims in then return it?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Oh I thought I had to open a T-Mobile account. My brother has T-Mobile, so I can just put one of his sims in then return it?

oh, I'm not 100% sure. Yes, I think you can open a t-mobile account but the FAQ read like you can just input the IMEI and sim card number on Samsung's website and be on your way. I'm trying to find the reddit link I was reading... I'll update with it when I find it.

edit: reddit link
samsung FAQ
[doublepost=1497972504][/doublepost]

Also, I don't think you can just return the phone and keep the bogo. My thinking would be to sell both eventually, and get the rebate for the one phone. but doing the math and depending on what you sell them for on swappa, you'd only come out like $100-$200 because the t-mobile prices on swappa are bottom dollar and you'd still be out sales tax (on both phones), and then swappa fees, shipping, paypal fees, etc.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Hm, I've never experienced that, and I regularly group text with colleagues.

That does sound annoying though.
It may be an issue with carriers in the US.. Who knows.
[doublepost=1497973836][/doublepost]
It's not like iMessage would be that much more reliable either. Back when we used it with my wife, we had these conversations every now and then:

-Honey I'm home!
-Did you bring (something from the grocery store)?
-Oh bugger, I didn't know we were out of that
-I sent you a message an hour ago
-I didn't see any message
*Ding*
-Oh, there it is.
When imessage first came out it was a bit of a hit and miss. But now its very reliable, for me at least.

The only advantage SMS has is the ability to work in low data areas.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Not sure why this integration has been taken out now. In reality, it is not that difficult to do.

edit: think I know why the integration is taken out. I think in lots of countries they dont have unlimited SMS plus sending cross country SMS incurred (expensive) charge. In the US, maybe is OK with iMessage as maybe there very little inter-country messaging.

This possibly part of the reason and also that many owners of smart phones do not have data packages or bundled free minutes or free sms. It was not too long back when sms was an additional charge in US compared to UK/Europe that was far more friendly to sms hence IMO the greater use of Imessage along with higher adoption of Iphones in US.

It's easy to get carried away here with typical usage in the west but many enjoy their last gen or later smartphone on a minimal budget of just a couple of $ a month pay as you go by taking advantage of free WiFi etc, better Apps allow free calling to landlines

Imessage with its integration is not on their radar of use as they can avoid accidental charges etc when friends also port the same numbers between different service providers and devices

Whilst of course these low budget users sacrifice some immediate connectivity due to gaps in free WifI coverage its a price they are simply willing not to pay given that probably at work they have continuous coverage of 8 hrs and at home they only are briefly out of touch during their commute for messaging.

This sort of low budget usage is probably is very difficult in US simply due to geographical and population densities outside some major cites but is completely do able in Asia and the East. Additionally in the US until recently telecos made it extremely difficult to adopt low budget usage and even with Imessage they get revenue one way or another.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
oh, I'm not 100% sure. Yes, I think you can open a t-mobile account but the FAQ read like you can just input the IMEI and sim card number on Samsung's website and be on your way. I'm trying to find the reddit link I was reading... I'll update with it when I find it.

edit: reddit link
samsung FAQ
[doublepost=1497972504][/doublepost]

Also, I don't think you can just return the phone and keep the bogo. My thinking would be to sell both eventually, and get the rebate for the one phone. but doing the math and depending on what you sell them for on swappa, you'd only come out like $100-$200 because the t-mobile prices on swappa are bottom dollar and you'd still be out sales tax (on both phones), and then swappa fees, shipping, paypal fees, etc.

No I meant giving the sim card back, I would sell the other phone. Although you are right, the savings would be minimal. S8+'s for tmobile are going for around $600 and there are a crap-ton of them for sale, so more than likely I'd get $550 or so minus swappa/paypal fees and shipping/insurance, probably closer to $500. Minus taxes on the new phones and possible activation fees and a month or 2 of service to be eligible for an unlock (or the fee for a 3rd party unlock) and that dwindles down to maybe $300 or so. $1600 for both phones - $750 - $300 = $550, about what I'd pay on swappa lol.

And honestly I don't see the S8+ being worth $550, just my personal opinion. I think I'll wait a bit and see how the ip8 materializes. The Note 8 is also a contender, but with the recent bad rumors of the rear placed FP sensor that kind of pushes me away. On a positive note most likely there will be a BOGO on the Note 8 as well, and that one will be worth it for me.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
No I meant giving the sim card back, I would sell the other phone. Although you are right, the savings would be minimal. S8+'s for tmobile are going for around $600 and there are a crap-ton of them for sale, so more than likely I'd get $550 or so minus swappa/paypal fees and shipping/insurance, probably closer to $500. Minus taxes on the new phones and possible activation fees and a month or 2 of service to be eligible for an unlock (or the fee for a 3rd party unlock) and that dwindles down to maybe $300 or so. $1600 for both phones - $750 - $300 = $550, about what I'd pay on swappa lol.

And honestly I don't see the S8+ being worth $550, just my personal opinion. I think I'll wait a bit and see how the ip8 materializes. The Note 8 is also a contender, but with the recent bad rumors of the rear placed FP sensor that kind of pushes me away. On a positive note most likely there will be a BOGO on the Note 8 as well, and that one will be worth it for me.

yeah, I think it's a good deal if you have 2 people on a T-Mobile plan and are looking for 2 phone upgrades. Otherwise, a bit of a hassle to do it to try to make money or get a phone for real cheap.

Reactions: spinedoc77

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Screenshot_20170620-135747.png Screenshot_20170620-135814.png

I'm getting some pretty crazy battery life on my unlocked S8+. I have everything on but do turn off AoD at night. I unplug before bed and it's still at 100% 8 hours later.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
you use it for 10 12 hours try 24 hours
I use mine mostly from 8 am to 10 or 11pm when it goes on charge. (That is 14-15 hours on battery average)

So it lasts on battery pretty much as long as I personally do in a day myself, why then should I need it to make it last longer ( other than to appease a random person on the internet ? ) ...

I have many a criticism of the device, but battery life on LTE personally is not one of them.

Reactions: malikkamran

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Congrats :)

Got both the S8 and the S8+ updates for June within a couple of days of each other this time there was a week lag between the 2 on the May update

NB The June update also brings the show hide nav button option

The update I just got came with the ability to make Bixby Voice the default for BT controls. Does it do anything? Nope, but it can be the default.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
View attachment 704962 View attachment 704963

I'm getting some pretty crazy battery life on my unlocked S8+. I have everything on but do turn off AoD at night. I unplug before bed and it's still at 100% 8 hours later.

That standby drain is unbelievable. 8 hours with no drop in battery percentage is unheard of. Im assuming airplane mode was used. Mine drops around 3-4 percent over 8 hours on Wifi.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
That standby drain is unbelievable. 8 hours with no drop in battery percentage is unheard of. Im assuming airplane mode was used. Mine drops around 3-4 percent over 8 hours on Wifi.

Same here. 0.5% per hour drop without AOD. 1.3% per hour with AOD. 80/20 wifi/lte.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.