Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
That standby drain is unbelievable. 8 hours with no drop in battery percentage is unheard of. Im assuming airplane mode was used. Mine drops around 3-4 percent over 8 hours on Wifi.

Nope. No airplane mode. Everything was left on Wifi, cellular connection, bluetooth, etc. The only thing left off was AoD. It seems to go to sleep nicely when I do. I don't usually get texts over night so its hard to tell but it seems it waits until morning to refresh my emails once I wake it up. Not sure what setting I did to have it doze so nicely but I love it. I'm wondering if a call/text would come through? I'll have to test since I don't get calls/texts after I head to bed lately.

Last edited:

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Nope. No airplane mode. Everything was left on Wifi, cellular connection, bluetooth, etc. The only thing left off was AoD. It seems to go to sleep nicely when I do. I don't usually get texts over night so its hard to tell but it seems it waits until morning to refresh my emails once I wake it up. Not sure what setting I did to have it doze so nicely but I love it. I'm wondering if a call/text would come through? I'll have to test since I don't get calls/texts after I head to bed lately.
Do you have GSAM installed so we can see what was actually happening over the 8 hours? Android does not have that kind of standby battery life, its unheard of. Excuse me for being skeptical :)

Also your screenshot shows the top 5 as screen, device idle, android system, cell standby and android OS yet you have close enough to 3 hours SOT, it points to having the screen timeout set to 10 mins and just leaving the screen on doing nothing. Also it shows as having used 390mah for 3 hours SOT, this tells me your brightness was on a very low setting. For a comparison my phone on 50 percent brightness for 30mins SOT has used 135mah.

Last edited:

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Finally got the update for my direct from Samsung UK unlocked device and am now on the June Security patch. Hurrah!

Also, since setting up as new, have been able to achieve 5hrs 40mins SOT with 16hrs use and 13% battery life left. Came off charge at 0807 and used until 0004 the following day. This was not a working day, but a lot of browsing and social media (although using Friendly instead of normal Facebook app)

Personally, I'm pretty happy with that. Not as good as what others are getting, but that would've included some outdoors use when the screen brightness would've gone to max

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus prices are just plummeting here in the US. Samsung has been offering BOGO deals on their website. The unlocked version for the Galaxy S8 is $624 new or $549 open box (practically new condition) at Best Buy. It's insane. One Plus 5 is going to cost $499-$549. More choices on that price range :)
This sort of thing is the reason that IF I do get the Note 8, it will be months after it debuts. I'm not sorry I did get my S8+ via preorder, though, because I wanted the excellent preorder deal on headphone, VR goggles and SD card. But now that I have all of that stuff I would only need the Note 8 by itself and I want it cheap if I do get it.

I'm really not sure I want it, though. It is too far off to even think about.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I'm still waiting for the update on my O2 S8 (they really are hopeless with updates - I got the screen tuning patch about a fortnight after it was generally available)

This is why I avoided the carrier models. Waiting for Samsung is bad enough, then waiting for a carrier to add that their piece as well, is beyond annoying.

Also, allowing carriers to delay security updates is a joke. It should be completely independent of them.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is why I avoided the carrier models. Waiting for Samsung is bad enough, then waiting for a carrier to add that their piece as well, is beyond annoying.

Also, allowing carriers to delay security updates is a joke. It should be completely independent of them.
^^^ this ^^^ Totally agree!

Reactions: blaine07

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Do you have GSAM installed so we can see what was actually happening over the 8 hours? Android does not have that kind of standby battery life, its unheard of. Excuse me for being skeptical :)

Also your screenshot shows the top 5 as screen, device idle, android system, cell standby and android OS yet you have close enough to 3 hours SOT, it points to having the screen timeout set to 10 mins and just leaving the screen on doing nothing. Also it shows as having used 390mah for 3 hours SOT, this tells me your brightness was on a very low setting. For a comparison my phone on 50 percent brightness for 30mins SOT has used 135mah.

I don't have gsam installed. I did realize last night though that I forgot to turn on AoD so in my screenshots, I did NOT have AoD on. I have auto brightness on and it's pretty dark at my work so I'm guessing my brightness is low. I also have the screen resolution on WQHD+ and the screen timeout on 2 minutes. I do not let my phone sit idle with nothing going on just for the sake of showing high battery screen on numbers. The idle time is high because it was idle while I slept. If it makes you feel any better, when I woke up and woke up my phone it immediately went down to 99% and is down to 98% already since I used it for a bit while lying in bed.

I understand if you're skeptical but I've been around here a long time and I have no desire to mess with anyone. It's fine if you don't believe me though. I use my phone when I need it and maybe I just have good conditions? I also don't use FaceBook, which I believe is the root of many battery related issues. I mainly use Samsung internet browser, messages app, gmail, twitter, skype, and reddit. It is what it is. I'm happy with my battery life. I'm sure my battery life won't be as good today but it definitely does not go down overnight at all (or 1% upon waking up) and I am getting about 6-7 hour SoT average with plenty of battery left.

Reactions: torana355

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

I completely agree and would go as far as to say I'd like to see a way they could be made independent of the manufacturers too where possible - I'm not sure how feasible that would be (maybe as part of Play Services?) but it's something I'd like to see improvement on

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Anyone familiar with the $200 trade-in offer Samsung is running here in the U.S. for the S8? I've got an old LG Ultimate 2 phone that my son used on Tracfone but I'm not sure how to know if it would qualify for the trade-in. I'd hate to jump through all the hoops just to find out they only give me $25 for the trade in instead of $200... then have to go through the bother of returning the S8.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
And the saga of BT issues is not quite resolved, but is made slightly better. Is this an Android thing?

My Bluetooth experience has improved if anything. Feels like a stronger, more consistent connection.

Wonder what's going on. You sure it's not the Bluetooth set itself?
[doublepost=1498052437][/doublepost]
Anyone familiar with the $200 trade-in offer Samsung is running here in the U.S. for the S8? I've got an old LG Ultimate 2 phone that my son used on Tracfone but I'm not sure how to know if it would qualify for the trade-in. I'd hate to jump through all the hoops just to find out they only give me $25 for the trade in instead of $200... then have to go through the bother of returning the S8.

It should tell you the value when you purchase. That's how it was when I bought my unlocked s8 from Samsung website. I had to input the model I was trading in and it gave me a value that was immediately deducted from the total price.

I imagine it'll be the same.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
My Bluetooth experience has improved if anything. Feels like a stronger, more consistent connection.

Wonder what's going on. You sure it's not the Bluetooth set itself?

I don't think so, but I'm willing to think it could be. I just don't have the drops on the iPhone using the same headset. It isn't all the time, either. It's usually just when I'm really moving (up ladders, down ladders, biking). Headset is the PowerBeats 3, for the record.

Reactions: epicrayban

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I don't think so, but I'm willing to think it could be. I just don't have the drops on the iPhone using the same headset. It isn't all the time, either. It's usually just when I'm really moving (up ladders, down ladders, biking). Headset is the PowerBeats 3, for the record.

my bluetooth performance is less than ideal, too. I have 2 BT headsets I use frequently, and the BT drops out intermittently on both when the phone is in my pocket (sometimes even when the phone is on my work desk). I've never had that issue on previous phones (I've owned a lot of Android and iOS devices over the past several years). I'm on the US unlocked S8 that has the latest and greatest software update, including the June security patch. Maybe this thing needs 1 more update to iron out the issues? Or, get the BT fixes that 7.1.1 brought? It's kind of frustrating. I'm set to get the OP 5 on Friday, so I'll compare to that phone that also has BT 5.0 but has 7.1.1.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

That's actually what I was talking about having improved. I get a lot less of those compared to the s7e. It's very rare now.

Any way to test another s8?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
That's actually what I was talking about having improved. I get a lot less of those compared to the s7e. It's very rare now.

Any way to test another s8?

Afraid not. The town I'm living in doesn't have an ATT store. Any way to test if there's an issue with my BT that doesn't involve another phone?
[doublepost=1498053248][/doublepost]
my bluetooth performance is less than ideal, too. I have 2 BT headsets I use frequently, and the BT drops out intermittently on both when the phone is in my pocket (sometimes even when the phone is on my work desk). I've never had that issue on previous phones (I've owned a lot of Android and iOS devices over the past several years). I'm on the US unlocked S8 that has the latest and greatest software update, including the June security patch. Maybe this thing needs 1 more update to iron out the issues? Or, get the BT fixes that 7.1.1 brought? It's kind of frustrating. I'm set to get the OP 5 on Friday, so I'll compare to that phone that also has BT 5.0 but has 7.1.1.

Ever had the audio randomly speed up for a couple words as if it was trying to catch up?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Sounds like the same problem.

That really sucks... Hope software fixes it, too.
[doublepost=1498053477][/doublepost]
Afraid not. The town I'm living in doesn't have an ATT store. Any way to test if there's an issue with my BT that doesn't involve another phone?

Ever had the audio randomly speed up for a couple words as if it was trying to catch up?

I've never had that happen.

Try another Bluetooth device?

There may be apps out there that test Bluetooth strength. Just like there are for testing GPS and signal strength.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
It should tell you the value when you purchase. That's how it was when I bought my unlocked s8 from Samsung website. I had to input the model I was trading in and it gave me a value that was immediately deducted from the total price.
Thanks! Did you get $200 ?

UPDATE: It's not working for me. :( All it says is "(Trade-In) Eligible Smartphone"... there's no way to know what my particular phone is worth.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

no, I haven't had it speed up like that. Just skip / drop out for a brief second.

EDIT: I'm sure I can try a factory reset but I've finally got it setup how I like. I know smart switch and nova backup will get it back to where I'm at, but signing into all the apps, etc. is such a pain.

Reactions: jamezr

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Well... I decided to order the S8. Hard to beat $424.99 (plus tax) for a phone of this caliber. Now I have to hope that I get the full $200 trade-in amount -- otherwise I'll have to return the S8 for a refund.

I know I'm gonna hate the fingerprint reader. There's no doubt of that. But again, $425 is hard to pass up. This will be my very first Android phone ever.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Thanks! Did you get $200 ?

UPDATE: It's not working for me. :( All it says is "(Trade-In) Eligible Smartphone"... there's no way to know what my particular phone is worth.

Samsung... so strange. Maybe cause it's a non-Samsung device?

Sorry, dude. And no, I got a measly $120 for my S6. Fine with it. Got other goodies and Netflix. I was just happy I didn't have to go through the hassle of selling it.

[doublepost=1498057133][/doublepost]
Well... I decided to order the S8. Hard to beat $424.99 (plus tax) for a phone of this caliber. Now I have to hope that I get the full $200 trade-in amount -- otherwise I'll have to return the S8 for a refund.

I know I'm gonna hate the fingerprint reader. There's no doubt of that.
But again, $425 is hard to pass up. This will be my very first Android phone ever.

Yeah, it isn't ideal. May take a day, but you'll get used to it.

In combination with facial unlock, I'm having no issue unlocking my device quickly and effectively. Under the right conditions, I'll let facial unlock do its thing; it's fast and reliable. If I'm under conditions I know isn't ideal, I go for the FPS. Once you get used to it, it feels great pulling it out of your pocket and having it already unlocked as you bring it up. Just like the Pixel, except you have to reach straight with your finger as oppose to curved for the Pixel's more centered (and more natural) FPS location.

Congrats. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

I know I'm gonna hate the fingerprint reader. There's no doubt of that. But again, $425 is hard to pass up. This will be my very first Android phone ever.

Sounds good! ;)

I'll see myself out...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah overall while I love the S8+, I ultimately missed the ease of iOS, so I'm going back to my 6s until the iPhone 8 comes out.

Great phone though. Just the annoyances of not having FaceTime and iMessage...also the difficulties unlocking the phone on first try did it in for me.
It's kind of crazy but even if I did want to go back to an iPhone exclusively, I couldn't because call quality is so horrible on my iPhone 7 Plus. It's not very good on my iPhone SE, either. And when people call me on an iPhone they sound like crap, too. I wish iPhones were good as phones but they aren't. Back when he first got his iPhone 7 Plus if my husband tried to call me from his iPhone I would hang up on him and make him call me back on his S7 Edge.

I have given up on FaceTime. It doesn't seem to work for us anymore. It has gone to crap like Siri for some reason. It stutters and drops frames so bad. My daughter seems able to use it on her iPad with her friends but she admits it's really awful. However kids her age apparently do not do normal phone calls anymore. It's either text or FaceTime or it's nothing.

It is crazy that I need two phones to get everything I want out of the smartphone experience. I'm getting a bit fed up.

I don't have any complaints about my S8+ st the moment. I don't have the lag or battery problems my husband has had. I followed the suggestion I got to re-register my fingerprint multiple times and now my fingerprint reader is working again.

I am nevertheless thinking about updating my HTC 10 to Nougat and putting the secondary sim from my S8+ back to my HTC 10. Or my primary sim from my iPhone 7 Plus. It was a darned good phone. Best phone I've ever had as a phone and was my main phone for awhile. My callers and I sounded like we were in the same room with each other. My Samsungs have been almost that good but have some static and crackle sounds.

With iPhones we get words hiccuping in and out. It sounds like a bad 1974 walkie talkie from the Radio Shack bargain bin. I really don't know what Apple is doing wrong when it comes to their modems or antennas or whatever the problem is. We can't blame Tim Cook for this because it's always been pretty bad and even smartass Steve Jobs passed it off as us holding it wrong. I just thought that's the way it was for cell phones until I tried Samsung and HTC.

I just hated Android on the HTC and was not a fan of HTC Sense and that horrid news app that's forced on me via Sense. That's why I took a break from it. But I am going to put my own Launcher on it and see if I can't get a more pleasing experience with it this summer.

I wish I could try the new HTC, but it's kind of silly to keep spending money on phones when I have so many of them lying around. I need to make good on what I already own.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

FWIW, the Powerbeats 3 have the new W1 chip that does some sort of wizardry to accentuate connectivity to Apple hardware. Two of my bluetooth headphones (AirPods, Beats Solo3) also utilize it and I can confirm it really makes a difference. The range on both are far greater than any bluetooth headphones/earbuds I've previously used, included the Plantronics Backbeat Fits I still use for exercise. I'd similarly have some occasionally signal loss with the phone in my front pocket (especially if I leaned over and further obstructed the phone) yet with the W1 equipped headphones, no longer have that problem. In fact, I can leave my phone in the house while I'm out in the yard, easily 50-100 feet away, something I never could do with prior BT headsets.

Reactions: 5105973

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sounds like the same problem.

That really sucks... Hope software fixes it, too.
[doublepost=1498053477][/doublepost]

I've never had that happen.

Try another Bluetooth device?

There may be apps out there that test Bluetooth strength. Just like there are for testing GPS and signal strength.

Sadly, I don't have another BT device handy. I might buy one if I can find a pair of BT eadbuds I think are great, but that'd be buying something for potentially no reason and I'm skeptical.

Probably will anyway.

no, I haven't had it speed up like that. Just skip / drop out for a brief second.

EDIT: I'm sure I can try a factory reset but I've finally got it setup how I like. I know smart switch and nova backup will get it back to where I'm at, but signing into all the apps, etc. is such a pain.

I can't say I've ever factory reset the phone. Think I should?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.