Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
But I genuinely would query whether software improved outside of aesthtics this year ? In my own case, I do think in many ways it has regressed from the S7/7e.

But as with everything YMMV kicks in as a big factor as all our usage cases are different.

Honestly I do think the hardware is phenomenal. I'm just not sold so far on how the software is serving my need / usage patterns which is a real pity.

Im going to go ahead and assume Samsung wanted to keep more RAM free for Bixby hence it not being able to keep as many apps open as the S7. Have you tried disabling Bixby to see if it fixes your issue? It seems like a logical reason as i don't see why Samsung would make the RAM management worse lol.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I just went through my apps, I easily got to 11 apps before I saw the first refresh.

And even then, it refreshes in a split second. I understand RAM management is important, but to me, I dare call this nitpicking. I can spare a split second if the 12th or so app has to refresh. Again, not to take anything away from your needs/usage, MRU.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
But everyone uses their phones differently. there is a lot of computing power in smartphones. It is nice to be able to use all of the resources they have!

Exactly, YMMV.

For me sadly I am not able to use "all the resources they have" (despite system management telling me I have 800mb free) that the device offers. Hopefully when / If they release 7.1.2 for the S8 they will free up or at least 'unchain' that free ram to actually be utilised by the end user and then we can all be happy regardless of the difference in how we use our phones.

Reactions: jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Im going to go ahead and assume Samsung wanted to keep more RAM free for Bixby hence it not being able to keep as many apps open as the S7. Have you tried disabling Bixby to see if it fixes your issue? It seems like a logical reason as i don't see why Samsung would make the RAM management worse lol.
Yep. Still the same. 5-6 apps open and after that we start to get lots of app force refreshing. Likewise even if only 4 apps open, Samsung flush the backgrounded app after about 20 minutes rather than just put it in hibernation resulting in a force refresh / reload when re-opened.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Fair enough.

My experience of the S8 for my needs are absolutely stellar. In fact, it's the best software experience I've ever had, and this is including the Pixel. The Pixel just had too many things missing, and wasn't impervious to the occasional stutter/issue (nor is my iPhone).

The S8 software is a beautiful marriage of features and stability. For 99% of the things I use it for, it's been a champ.
I agree....i prefer the S8+ to my Pixel XL user experience all day long.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Phones Top Consumer Reports' Smartphone Ratings
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...-ratings/ar-BBCCPbM?li=AA4Zoy&ocid=spartandhp

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just went through my apps, I easily got to 11 apps before I saw the first refresh.

And even then, it refreshes in a split second. I understand RAM management is important, but to me, I dare call this nitpicking. I can spare a split second if the 12th or so app has to refresh. Again, not to take anything away from your needs/usage, MRU.
I can not get beyond 6. Maybe Exynos is the weaker version this year ram wise. It also killed my MyZone & Runtastic fitness tracking when I was running the other day resulting in only half my exercise session being not recorded. I only had music playing with them.

Anyway I've raised my issues and I do not or have no intention of taking away from the enjoyment others are having. So before the seige mentality kicks in as often does in forums and I am ostracised for posting my issues and thoughts, I will leave it there. I have nothing more to add or any intention to argue or cause arguments.

I will await in hopes a software update will fix the issues I am having and leave this in peace

Last edited:

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Yep. Still the same. 5-6 apps open and after that we start to get lots of app force refreshing. Likewise even if only 4 apps open, Samsung flush the backgrounded app after about 20 minutes rather than just put it in hibernation resulting in a force refresh / reload when re-opened.
Ok i just tried opening all the apps i use to see when mine refreshed and i got to 11 apps before a refresh. At that point there was only a few hundred MB of RAM free so it seems to work perfectly in my case using almost all available RAM before it starts killing stuff. Exynos unit here btw. Did you disable Bixby with Package disabler Pro?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ok i just tried opening all the apps i use to see when mine refreshed and i got to 11 apps before a refresh. At that point there was only a few hundred MB of RAM free so it seems to work perfectly in my case using almost all available RAM before it starts killing stuff. Did you disable Bixby with Package disabler Pro?
Yep. But remember your apps are likely not same as the apps I use. Also firmware and hardware differences.

The fact that couple of you got to 10-11 gives me hope that perhaps a software fix will resolve the issues on mine. If so I will be a happy.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think most users will never expect or notice an app that refreshes after 20 minutes. I think that is a rather long time to expect data to be unchanged imho. I agree that Samsung does this to save battery most likely.
But then stock Android on my Pixel XL with a 3450mAh battery doesn't last as long as my S8+ with a 3500 mAh battery. The stock Pixel XL with the latest Nougat should be able to keep up with the S8 + with all the duplicate apps and Bixby. But for me and my uses the S8+ crushes my Pixel XL in battery life thanks to the software management on the S8+. If that means apps refresh after 20 minutes then I can live with that.

Reactions: Demo Kit

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
hmm im out of ideas. Im sorry you are experiencing this issue.
[doublepost=1497382392][/doublepost]
I think most users will never expect or notice an app that refreshes after 20 minutes. I think that is a rather long time to expect data to be unchanged imho. I agree that Samsung does this to save battery most likely.
But then stock Android on my Pixel XL with a 3450mAh battery doesn't last as long as my S8+ with a 3500 mAh battery. The stock Pixel XL with the latest Nougat should be able to keep up with the S8 + with all the duplicate apps and Bixby. But for me and my uses the S8+ crushes my Pixel XL in battery life thanks to the software management on the S8+. If that means apps refresh after 20 minutes then I can live with that.
Thats due to the 10nm chip in the S8 more then software. I think we are going to start seeing some insane battery life with the Pixel 2 as it will also have the new 10nm chip.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Tell that when I am trying to track a 12km run. As fast as I am I cant do it in less than 20 minutes. ;) There are real scenarios where the aggressive purging is bad.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Tell that when I am trying to track a 12km run. As fast as I am I cant do it in less than 20 minutes. ;) There are real scenarios where the aggressive purging is bad.
i could be wrong but im pretty sure it should not be purging an app that is being used like that, ive never had google fit force refresh on me, ever.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
hmm im out of ideas. Im sorry you are experiencing this issue.
[doublepost=1497382392][/doublepost]
Thats due to the 10nm chip in the S8 more then software.
The latest stock Android with Doze can't compete with TW? I think we have seen this too many times though. You can't just say it is the chip. What happens when the new Pixel 2 comes out with the minor upgrade in the snapdragon chip and still gets beat in battery life. This happens every year. It will be interesting to compare the Note 8 and Pixel 2 XL in a few months.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I can not get beyond 6. Maybe Exynos is the weaker version this year ram wise. It also killed my MyZone & Runtastic fitness tracking when I was running the other day resulting in only half my exercise session being not recorded. I only had music playing with them.

Anyway I've raised my issues and I do not or have no intention of taking away from the enjoyment others are having. So before the seige mentality kicks in as often does in forums and I am ostracised for posting my issues and thoughts, I will leave it there. I have nothing more to add or any intention to argue or cause arguments.

I will await in hopes a software update will fix the issues I am having and leave this in peace

My feelings toward you is nothing but respect.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
i could be wrong but im pretty sure it should not be purging an app that is being used like that, ive never had google fit force refresh on me, ever.
It shouldn't, but sadly it did it twice this week. I even tried factory resetting after the first time it did it and setting my device up from scratch again but no joy.

Anyway despite my ram issues - I must give Samsung some big props for Audio though. Not speaker but headphone audio. Adapt Sound (adjusted to my own ears) alongside UHQD Audio upscaling makes listening to my music on my Bose headphones truly great. One of the best audio listening experiences other than maybe HTC 10. LG need a kick up the arse for not even bothering to include an EQ.

Reactions: jamezr

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The latest stock Android with Doze can't compete with TW? I think we have seen this too many times though. You can't just say it is the chip. What happens when the new Pixel 2 comes out with the minor upgrade in the snapdragon chip and still gets beat in battery life. This happens every year. It will be interesting to compare the Note 8 and Pixel 2 XL in a few months.
The new 10nm chip is not a small upgrade, its has some major improvements in battery life as it is much more efficient then the 14nm chip in the current Pixel. Its the reason why the S8 Plus is just as good on battery life as the S7E despite running a bigger screen and having a slightly smaller battery.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The new 10nm chip is not a small upgrade, its has some major improvements in battery life as it is much more efficient then the 14nm chip in the current Pixel. Its the reason why the S8 Plus is just as good on battery life as the S7E despite running a bigger screen and having a slightly smaller battery.
The Pixel 2 is rumored to have the SD836 versus the current SD835. i would assume the Note will have the same chip.
That will be a great comparison.....

Reactions: torana355

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

Mate you are not taking away from my enjoyment of the device, all your posts have been quality and your issues are valid.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It shouldn't, but sadly it did it twice this week. I even tried factory resetting after the first time it did it and setting my device up from scratch again but no joy.

That really is odd for an app that's meant to stay on and track metrics. Could it be on the app side? Maybe the developer forgot to program in some sort of wakelock thing? I'm speaking as an amateur so sorry if that technically doesn't make perfect sense, but you get what I mean?

Because it's really odd (idiotic, even) that it would kill an app that's supposed to be tracking a run...

Any other runners out there or generally any other apps that need to "stay on" for tracking purposes experiencing this, too?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Oh wow. If I was torn yesterday, you can just imagine how I feel right now after pretty much settling on the "if the OP5 isn't waterproof, I'll get the S8" track and then reading @MRU point out valid concerns that are quite likely to affect my user experience too.

My main SIM is currently in my S7 Edge, but I'm not going to hold onto that one for much longer as I just can't stand the back and recents buttons being the wrong way around (I'm under the impression that the S8 lets you switch these without any hacks) and I've pretty much promised my brother that he'll get the S7E once I get a replacement as he was a great help and got me a sweet deal for my new car after my previous car was totaled by an idiot truck driver.

So far I've been quite happy with the S7E's stock launcher, but if I end up getting the S8, I might have to consider going back to my favorite alternative launcher Nova. I just wish there were more great waterproof devices with a great camera as on one hand I really wouldn't like to support that Bixby nonsense or have my fingerprint scanner right next to the camera lens, but on the other hand the good things in the S8 sound quite enticing. Once again, this is as hard as a first world problem gets :p

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That really is odd for an app that's meant to stay on and track metrics. Could it be on the app side? Maybe the developer forgot to program in some sort of wakelock thing? I'm speaking as an amateur so sorry if that technically doesn't make perfect sense, but you get what I mean?

Because it's really odd (idiotic, even) that it would kill an app that's supposed to be tracking a run...

Any other runners out there or generally any other apps that need to "stay on" for tracking purposes experiencing this, too?
Yeah, Not had the problem since the S6 / S6e on any device since then regardless iOS or android other than now on the S8. At least I have a plethora of other devices I can go running with instead. More of an inconvenience really.

Reactions: epicrayban
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.