Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Hey guys... the S8 has a 5.8" screen BUT it has an aspect ratio of 18:9 instead of the typical 16:9. So it's taller and thinner than most phone screens. Screens are measured diagonally, so the different aspect ratio skews things a bit. With that in mind, what size screen does the S8 compare to? Is is more in line with a 5.5" phone? Something else? (Know what I mean? Does that make sense?)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hey guys... the S8 has a 5.8" screen BUT it has an aspect ratio of 18:9 instead of the typical 16:9. So it's taller and thinner than most phone screens. Screens are measured diagonally, so the different aspect ratio skews things a bit. With that in mind, what size screen does the S8 compare to? Is is more in line with a 5.5" phone? Something else? (Know what I mean? Does that make sense?)

You can't think of it that way.

It's 18:5:9 in case of the S8 : 18:9 in case of the G6

If you compare for example this app here on a 16:9 iPhone to a 18:9 version you can see that width wise text is about the same (albeit physically bigger on the larger device) but you get a little extra length.

The G6 / S8 screens feel very much like 5.8" screens regardless of aspect ratio shift. I am not missing out content from either a 5.5 or 5.7" 16:9 device as the aspect ratio of the width is the same in portrait and therefore means content scales physically much the same, albeit longer fractionally.

16:9
9e1037975bfb0b6319b79ceccc2b078f.png

18:9
a1de9c0e8fa2902615e907215b3dbcca.jpg

Reactions: Roadstar

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
@epicrayban And others, questions regarding the S8+ unlocked from Best Buy/Samsung S8+ unlocked snapdragon model.

Can I get Wi-Fi Calling, 4X4 MIMO, 256 WQAM, VoLTE, Gigabit LTE speeds with it? What about the other T-Mobile features?

I can get the device for $246.74 after tax when I sell my S7 and then trade in any smartphone with Samsung's promo.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
@epicrayban And others, questions regarding the S8+ unlocked from Best Buy/Samsung S8+ unlocked snapdragon model.

Can I get Wi-Fi Calling, 4X4 MIMO, 256 WQAM, VoLTE, Gigabit LTE speeds with it? What about the other T-Mobile features?

I can get the device for $246.74 after tax when I sell my S7 and then trade in any smartphone with Samsung's promo.
Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE I believe works out of the box. For the other features easiest would be to just flash the T-Mobile firmware on it.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Yes to VoLTE and VoWiFi and I'm sure the other stuff too since it's all the same hardware across the US S8's

https://imgur.com/a/uNouG

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
With the dual sim version s8+, does that mean that a SD card can no longer be used if 2 sims are inserted?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Some people previously tried shaving down the nano sim with razor blades and got all three working (previous DS models) but to me that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen with busted sim slot.
Yep tried that on the S6, not for the faint hearted and very tricky, not worth it IMO

Reactions: MRU

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
This phone has taught me that my time of carrier phones is over for Android. iOS? Sure. If my next phone is a Galaxy S#, it's definitely unlocked and hopefully by then Exynos.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
This phone has taught me that my time of carrier phones is over for Android. iOS? Sure. If my next phone is a Galaxy S#, it's definitely unlocked and hopefully by then Exynos.

Why is that? Bad carrier support from AT&T or T-Mobile? Price drops after a few months from release with respectable trade in offers ($200 for any ole smartphone + $100 off regular advertised prices)? Snapdragon process isn't up to snuff? Samsung is better with unlocked model support this time around?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Why is that? Bad carrier support from AT&T or T-Mobile? Price drops after a few months from release with respectable trade in offers ($200 for any ole smartphone + $100 off regular advertised prices)? Snapdragon process isn't up to snuff? Samsung is better with unlocked model support this time around?

A) AT&T released the patch that included May 1 security patch as of June 13.
B) People on here with unlocked have been bragging about updates that I haven't gotten.
C) People will h Exynos seem to be getting even better battery life.

Reactions: nviz22

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sadly unbranded and unlocked phones are not immune to getting delayed updates and I've often been waiting for updates after carrier models in Europe have received updates.

The only real benefit it less bloatware and no carrier apps - the update situation isn't much of a benefit.

Also my exynos is not getting anything like some of the battery results from snapdragon users. On average I get around 4 hours and on a heavy day of Bluetooth music / phone calls I would get around 3-3.5 SOT. It's was still enough to see me to the end of the day, the only way I get more SOT is to use the phone over a smaller chunk of time watching Netflix or such. I have brightness at 70% with auto brightness enabled and QHD resolution.

Compared to some of the 6 or even 7 hours SOT I've seen posted it makes my usage seem hum drum, and im only talking regular S8

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sadly unbranded and unlocked phones are not immune to getting delayed updates and I've often been waiting for updates after carrier models in Europe have received updates.

The only real benefit it less bloatware and no carrier apps - the update situation isn't much of a benefit.

Damn.

Well, Unlocked still seems faster than AT&T in terms of updates.

What security patch level are you?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
A) AT&T released the patch that included May 1 security patch as of June 13.
B) People on here with unlocked have been bragging about updates that I haven't gotten.
C) People will h Exynos seem to be getting even better battery life.

A) Don't blame you for being upset with that because security patches work with removing exploits.
B) I can see that, but mainly on the Exynos side because their support is much better than the US Snapdragon one. Though the unlocked model has some decent handful of updates.
C) Spot on, Exynos is the better set and that's what Samsung optimizes its hardware to. Samsung and Snapdragon do not go hand in hand.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Damn.

Well, Unlocked still seems faster than AT&T in terms of updates.

What security patch level are you?
Well I have always been happy with my security updates on my international unlocked Samsung phones (MRU comment I understand is more on OS updates) and despite having got my June update back some days I just got a service provider update :)

Just because IOS get the updates across the board does not mean they are early or timely just its everyone or nothing

I suspect other than (eg us here) most are happy in there ignorance of updates and just enjoying their phones :)

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well I have always been happy with my security updates on my international unlocked Samsung phones (MRU comment I understand is more on OS updates) and despite having got my June update back some days I just got a service provider update :)

Just because IOS get the updates across the board does not mean they are early or timely just its everyone or nothing

I suspect other than (eg us here) most are happy in there ignorance of updates and just enjoying their phones :)

Whether everyone else is happy not getting updates or whether they want them is kind of irrelevant to my purchasing decision. But bonus points for bringing in iOS into a discussion where it wasn't, I guess.
[doublepost=1498432424][/doublepost] Screenshot_20170625-181259.png
Foot goes firmly in mouth.

Reactions: that be me

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Whether everyone else is happy not getting updates or whether they want them is kind of irrelevant to my purchasing decision. But bonus points for bringing in iOS into a discussion where it wasn't, I guess.
[doublepost=1498432424][/doublepost] View attachment 705729
[doublepost=1498432424][/doublepost] View attachment 705729
This discussion re updates goes around many times and a constant comment is Samsung update policy vs Apple

I simply noted one observation that seems to get missed in the chaff :D

I agree with you Unlocked versions seem to be serviced better IMO and is worth considering

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
This discussion re updates goes around many times and a constant comment is Samsung update policy vs Apple

I simply noted one observation that seems to get missed in the chaff :D

I agree with you Unlocked versions seem to be serviced better IMO and is worth considering

Personally, I'm tired of the Apple v Samsung discussion. People need to realize the are phones and not religions. If iOS is better for you, use it. If Android is better for you, use it. Or, heck, use whichever you like better. Life is far too short to really worry about what OS your pocket computer runs.

Reactions: M5RahuL and tbayrgs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.