Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Anyone with the unlocked US snapdragon model, how is the experience? Bloat free good? Do you get the timely updates Samsung committed towards? Are you on the June patch with Bixby and the navigation bar setting change? I am expecting good battery life with the S8+ along with a more pleasurable experience with device support.

I love the experience. I had the Verizon version first and having this non-branded device is a breath of fresh air. no VZW boot screen and all the other crap that Verizon puts on the firmware. I love having the built-in caller ID feature (removed from Verizon devices) where it does a really good job of spotting spam calls as well as just calls from businesses that I wouldn't know they were calling since i don't have many businesses' numbers saved in my phone.

as far as updates, I'm on the June security patch with Bixby voice working but don't have the nav bar update yet. AFAIK, no US version has the nav bar update, as that's only begun rolling out to Europe. So, updates have been quicker than the carrier version (or at least on par with) but it remains to be seen if that continues.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I love the experience. I had the Verizon version first and having this non-branded device is a breath of fresh air. no VZW boot screen and all the other crap that Verizon puts on the firmware. I love having the built-in caller ID feature (removed from Verizon devices) where it does a really good job of spotting spam calls as well as just calls from businesses that I wouldn't know they were calling since i don't have many businesses' numbers saved in my phone.

as far as updates, I'm on the June security patch with Bixby voice working but don't have the nav bar update yet. AFAIK, no US version has the nav bar update, as that's only begun rolling out to Europe. So, updates have been quicker than the carrier version (or at least on par with) but it remains to be seen if that continues.

Does that make a difference with your experience with updates or as long as the phone works, you're content?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Does that make a difference with your experience with updates or as long as the phone works, you're content?

The only updates I care about are ones that fix bugs or known issues. For instance, IIRC, 7.1.1 fixed some battery and bluetooth bugs. I'd prefer to get these types of updates quickly. But, I know OEMS outside Google are very slow to push these types of updates out. So it's not a deal breaker for me but would be preferred. If this phone never received another update, I may get a little upset, but I don't keep phones very long anyway, so it doesn't REALLY matter... I just like to know that a company actually cares about a device (ME!) longer than a month or two after release.

EDIT: at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what I think of updates, only what YOU think of updates.

Last edited:

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Do you get push Gmail on iPhone? Because that's something that annoys me that on my iPhone it only fetches every 15 minutes but on Android pushes right away.
For what it's worth, Gmail Push is working on iOS 11.

EDIT: I stand corrected, not real push.

Last edited:

yitzmich

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2015
For what it's worth, Gmail Push is working on iOS 11.
Are you sure it's working fully because I'm seeing people saying it's only working when plugged in and on wifi? Seems to be others saying that it works without that. If it would work straight up like it does on Android that would be a game changer for me and Iay switch back to iPhone. Thanx

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Are you sure it's working fully because I'm seeing people saying it's only working when plugged in and on wifi? Seems to be others saying that it works without that. If it would work straight up like it does on Android that would be a game changer for me and Iay switch back to iPhone. Thanx
You're right, I stand corrected. It's not as fully featured as the clickbait headlines indicated. Still pretty weak. I switched to Outlook email for this, and just have my Gmail auto-forward.

yitzmich

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2015
You're right, I stand corrected. It's not as fully featured as the clickbait headlines indicated. Still pretty weak. I switched to Outlook email for this, and just have my Gmail auto-forward.
Ok thats what it seemed like to me although others are saying it worked for them...

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The only updates I care about are ones that fix bugs or known issues. For instance, IIRC, 7.1.1 fixed some battery and bluetooth bugs. I'd prefer to get these types of updates quickly. But, I know OEMS outside Google are very slow to push these types of updates out. So it's not a deal breaker for me but would be preferred. If this phone never received another update, I may get a little upset, but I don't keep phones very long anyway, so it doesn't REALLY matter... I just like to know that a company actually cares about a device (ME!) longer than a month or two after release.

EDIT: at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what I think of updates, only what YOU think of updates.

I want updates a lot, but at the same time, it might be a cost of doing business with Samsung. I believe with a $250 price tag on the S8+ (after selling my S7), is pretty good enough because it will be comparable to the iPhone OLED model and could be used to trade in with the iPhone OLED model as well, especially when it's going to cost $1000 or so at retail. The S8+ will have a lot of the new iPhone features.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I want updates a lot, but at the same time, it might be a cost of doing business with Samsung. I believe with a $250 price tag on the S8+ (after selling my S7), is pretty good enough because it will be comparable to the iPhone OLED model and could be used to trade in with the iPhone OLED model as well, especially when it's going to cost $1000 or so at retail. The S8+ will have a lot of the new iPhone features.

I think it's worth giving it a shot. It's a great phone.

Reactions: nviz22

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Anyone with the unlocked US snapdragon model, how is the experience? Bloat free good? Do you get the timely updates Samsung committed towards? Are you on the June patch with Bixby and the navigation bar setting change? I am expecting good battery life with the S8+ along with a more pleasurable experience with device support.
I bought the S8+ at BestBuy tonight just as I did with my unlocked S7 Edge. Both were without the carrier bloat. Mine immediately told me there was a software update which is the June 1 update. My phone is just about fully charged for the first time so I'm about to see how it does on the battery.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
For people living in the EU:

You can get a brand new S8 dual sim 64Gb for just €546 (using the "giveme5" code for 5% extra discount) incl shipping from eglobalcentral

A lot of people at my other forum I regularly visit in my home country already ordered and received either their LG G6 dual sim 64gb hifi quad DAC (€365 incl shipping) or their S8(+)
from this website

They also have a .UK site

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I bought the S8+ at BestBuy tonight just as I did with my unlocked S7 Edge. Both were without the carrier bloat. Mine immediately told me there was a software update which is the June 1 update. My phone is just about fully charged for the first time so I'm about to see how it does on the battery.
I bought the AT&T version of the S8 last Friday at Best Buy. Taking advantage of the $150 off and free charging pad.

Reactions: epicrayban

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
If anyone likes the Pixel Launcher, check out this Reddit thread and attached Launcher. It's a very nice launcher and looks exactly like a Pixel. I know you can do similar in Nova and other launcher but this is one from reddit is a quick install and looks like the pixel launcher out of the box. I've been running it a few days now with no issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/6gn8f9/rootless_pixel_launcher_port/

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

The difference is clear, I don't think anyone being objective would claim the S8 is faster than the Pixel. I've always said, the Pixel is the fastest feeling phone ever, easily more so than the iPhone.

The argument that I make is that the difference is so negligible that, in my opinion, it doesn't warrant sacrificing all that you gain with Samsung's software features and hardware dominance. The software is still smooth and elegant -- differences in the milliseconds.

Having said that, Samsung should continue to strive to fine tune their software. The drop frames, for example, could be cleaned up. They do occur every now and then, as they do with other phones.

Reactions: Demo Kit

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The stock launcher CMI.

Other launchers are so much more fluid.

I think if people clean up animations and use a package disabler, you can make it work without another launcher.

Each phone seems to have baggage lately. The OnePlus 5 with battery life. HTC U11 with price and battery life. The iPhone 7+ with lag and meh software. Pixel with hardware defects. List goes on and on. Samsung's issue is a few hiccups here and there, so maybe the trade off is worth it if I just ignore the small hiccups?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I know it's common to just hear "Nova Launcher FTW," but it really is a remarkable app that is well supported and consistently amazing year after year. Incredibly smooth and feature-rich. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Android O features are out of beta and are incorporated into Nova.

The ability to change launchers is a huge advantage to Android.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I think if people clean up animations and use a package disabler, you can make it work without another launcher.

Each phone seems to have baggage lately. The OnePlus 5 with battery life. HTC U11 with price and battery life. The iPhone 7+ with lag and meh software. Pixel with hardware defects. List goes on and on. Samsung's issue is a few hiccups here and there, so maybe the trade off is worth it if I just ignore the small hiccups?

I am using tsf and I don't have any issue with smoothness. Most apps are very fluid as well. Even if there is lag, it is so minute that to make an issue out of it is like making a mountain out of a molehill.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I am using tsf and I don't have any issue with smoothness. Most apps are very fluid as well. Even if there is lag, it is so minute that to make an issue out of it is like making a mountain out of a molehill.

TSF? Haven't heard of that launcher. I might go Nova if I decide to use a launcher.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
For those with an S8.... I have a change at grabbing up one from a friend who did the tmobile Buy one get one. While I love the design of the phone, camera is great, and the screen is amazing, I am worried about the bloatware. I am not just talking about carrier bloatware but samsung bloatware as well. My question is, does a list exist of services that can be disabled to bring the samsung version of android closer to vanilla android? Is this even possible or are samsungs services unable to be disabled? I will never use any of the duplicate samsung services aside from something like samsung pay so I would want to delete/disable as much extra software as possible and I would likely use the Pixel launcher.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
For those with an S8.... I have a change at grabbing up one from a friend who did the tmobile Buy one get one. While I love the design of the phone, camera is great, and the screen is amazing, I am worried about the bloatware. I am not just talking about carrier bloatware but samsung bloatware as well. My question is, does a list exist of services that can be disabled to bring the samsung version of android closer to vanilla android? Is this even possible or are samsungs services unable to be disabled? I will never use any of the duplicate samsung services aside from something like samsung pay so I would want to delete/disable as much extra software as possible and I would likely use the Pixel launcher.

The bloat really isn't bad on this thing. If you are handy at all with a PC you can install the Unlocked Firmware (which overrides the T-Mobile firmware). You lose some functionality but lose some bloat as well. I did it on day one and have had no issues. The only thing I've lost is Video Calling (through the phone app). I have WiFi calling, VoLTE, band 12, etc... Let me know if you want and I can link you to the instructions on Reddit. It's a very easy process, especially if you have any experience with flashing on Android.

In terms of uninstalling the Samsung services, you can download a package disabler and get rid of some of it but not all of it. Just do research on XDA or AndroidCentral or something to make sure what you disable won't mess anything else up. It really isn't that bad though. Touchwiz, now known as something else is MUCH nicer than it was even a few years ago. It's lean and fast. You can use the Launcher I posted earlier today to get a great Pixel Launcher. It has all the functionality of the original pixel launcher. If you just install the one from google you won't have the swipe right for Google now, which I love.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Package Disabler Pro. Affordable, easy to use, and effective. No root required. Disable and forget about the bloat.

I'm sure you can easily find on forums a list or even an exported list (Packaged Disabler Pro allows for you to save/export your list of disabled apps) of what's good and safe to disable. Or pick and choose yourself, which is what I did.

Then add Nova Launcher (another amazing app worth your money) and boom, Pixel-like experience on your S8.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Then add Nova Launcher (another amazing app worth your money) and boom, Pixel-like experience on your S8.
I haven't even gotten my S8 yet (it's backordered) but I'm doing lots of research on it. I keep reading comments from people saying that Nova Launcher WAS the way to way in the past, but now, especially on the S8, Touchwiz is MUCH better than ever before and that Nova is no longer really needed. Anyone here feel that way too?

Reactions: macfacts
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.