Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I'd like to think that the price also includes all the tech, like the screen for example, and features that the iPhone doesn't have. And it's still cheaper to increase storage with microSD than to keep going up the tiers for iPhone storage, no?

The free kit also comes with a phone cover and earphones, along with the 64GB card.
My point being that you aren’t just getting more storage on the base model. You’re paying a lot more for the base model. For the same price, you could get an iPhone with twice as much storage.

That is mostly why... I want to use a reliable unlock method that will work in all conditions. I really don't want to have an unlock method setup that I cannot use in certain daily conditions. That pretty much leaves a password unlock or the fingerprint sensor.
It’s reliable in a sense that you know when you can and cannot use it. It’s not like it sometimes doesn’t work when I’m indoors, which is 95+% of the time I’m on my phone.

Reactions: epicrayban

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
My point being that you aren’t just getting more storage on the base model. You’re paying a lot more for the base model. For the same price, you could get an iPhone with twice as much storage.

It’s reliable in a sense that you know when you can and cannot use it. It’s not like it sometimes doesn’t work when I’m indoors, which is 95+% of the time I’m on my phone.

What are you talking about?

The s8 is selling at the same price as the ip7 32gb now.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
What are you talking about?

The s8 is selling at the same price as the ip7 32gb now.
Tell that to the carriers, who still charge $750.

Yeah, you can order it from Samsung online for less money and wait 3+ weeks to get it, but I can also order an iPhone 7 online for less than that.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Tell that to the carriers, who still charge $750.

Yeah, you can order it from Samsung online for less money and wait 3+ weeks to get it, but I can also order an iPhone 7 online for less than that.

Talking about retail price not carrier bundled promos.

Since released S8 retail has dropped about $100 whereas the 7 has remained about the same.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Talking about retail price not carrier bundled promos.

Since released S8 retail has dropped about $100 whereas the 7 has remained about the same.
That is the retail price for the carrier models.

And actually I just checked. Samsung raised the price of the unlocked model back up to $725.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
That is the retail price for the carrier models.

And actually I just checked. Samsung raised the price of the unlocked model back up to $725.

That S8 $725 is with a generous $350 off trade in deal. Maybe the actual ”effective” price is like $550-600.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Well I lasted 7 days with the s8. Sim is back in the iPhone 7. I need to stay away from Android. I'm an Apple guy with an Android fetish that never is good. LOL!

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
That S8 $725 is with a generous $350 off trade in deal. Maybe the actual ”effective” price is like $550-600.
And now you’re the one bundling promos into the price.

Regardless, even assuming you have one of the few Samsung phones they will accept for trade in, that doesn’t lower the price of the Galaxy S8. You’re merely selling your old phone to Samsung for credit towards the Galaxy S8. The actual price is $725.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
And now you’re the one bundling promos into the price.

Regardless, even assuming you have one of the few Samsung phones they will accept for trade in, that doesn’t lower the price of the Galaxy S8. You’re merely selling your old phone to Samsung for credit towards the Galaxy S8. The actual price is $725.

Before this trade in deal, I remember someone mentioned it was a straight $100 off. Giving a much higher trade value is indirectly lowering price.

Regardless, I think the retail price has dropped 10% since launch around the world.
[doublepost=1498784172][/doublepost]Just saw this. S8/8+ named best smartphone at MWC.

https://news.samsung.com/global/galaxy-s8-and-s8-named-best-smartphone-at-mwc-shanghai-2017

Last edited:

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Well I should have my new S8 next week! Got the wireless quick charger as well so that should be interesting! Plan to delete/disable any bloatware I can and use the new customizable pixel launcher that should be available on XDA soon.

Reactions: epicrayban

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Before this trade in deal, I remember someone mentioned it was a straight $100 off. Giving a much higher trade value is indirectly lowering price.

Regardless, I think the retail price has dropped 10% since launch around the world.
[doublepost=1498784172][/doublepost]Just saw this. S8/8+ named best smartphone at MWC.

https://news.samsung.com/global/galaxy-s8-and-s8-named-best-smartphone-at-mwc-shanghai-2017
Doesn't matter how much it's dropped. Retail for the unlocked model directly from Samsung is $725. Carrier models are $750+.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Doesn't matter how much it's dropped. Retail for the unlocked model directly from Samsung is $725. Carrier models are $750+.

But with all the promo deals the actual cost is most probably below the listed price.

Where I am from, price already dropped about 12-15% from launch retail price and now is about the same price as the 32gb ip7.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I'm really torn. Everytime I try Android I quickly scurry back to the iPhone. I have a 7 Plus now but I'm considering just buying an S8 as well and having 2 phones and moving back and forth.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I haven't even gotten my S8 yet (it's backordered) but I'm doing lots of research on it. I keep reading comments from people saying that Nova Launcher WAS the way to way in the past, but now, especially on the S8, Touchwiz is MUCH better than ever before and that Nova is no longer really needed. Anyone here feel that way too?
I stuck with the stock launcher for a month or so as I felt I needed to give it a good chance.

It's much better than it used to be but Nova still beats it IMO - It just lets you set it up exactly like you want your phone setting up and the little things like automatic night mode, swipe down for notifications and the pixel style folder icons make it a more attractive and pleasant UI IMO. Add to that the google now integration that's available in the Beta and it's a hard act to beat

The only thing I prefer from the standard launcher is the way folders open (they still look a bit clunky on Nova when open) and that's such a minor thing that I'm using Nova again now :)

Reactions: co.ag.2005

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm really torn. Everytime I try Android I quickly scurry back to the iPhone. I have a 7 Plus now but I'm considering just buying an S8 as well and having 2 phones and moving back and forth.
You might like it :). I would suggest trying the S8+ it is a little wider than the regular S8 and the battery life is a little better. Then size wise it will line up with your 7+. If you keep both you can switch back and forth. Then if you decide you like your iphone better get rid of the S8+.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I agree with jamezr. If you can afford it, hey come on live a little! :) I'm currently back to iPhone but I always miss Android and it's awesome fun to tinker around with if you never really did. Worst come to worst you sell it after a while and consider it money spent on enjoyment. Come the Note 8 release in a month or two, my wallet will have to run and hide from me :D

Reactions: andyx3x and MRU

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
It's much better than it used to be but Nova still beats it IMO - It just lets you set it up exactly like you want your phone setting up and the little things like automatic night mode, swipe down for notifications and the pixel style folder icons make it a more attractive and pleasant UI IMO. Add to that the google now integration that's available in the Beta and it's a hard act to beat

The only thing I prefer from the standard launcher is the way folders open (they still look a bit clunky on Nova when open) and that's such a minor thing that I'm using Nova again now :)
What are the biggest things we lose by not using the stock/Samsung launcher? Also, how easy or difficult is it to switch back and forth between stock and Nova? (for a true comparison)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What are the biggest things we lose by not using the stock/Samsung launcher? Also, how easy or difficult is it to switch back and forth between stock and Nova? (for a true comparison)

You lose some of Samsung's widgets such as the weather clock. That's about it.

It's pee easy to switch back and forth. Just go into settings. Type home. Change default home from Nova to Samsung or vice versa. Takes seconds to switch.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I agree with jamezr. If you can afford it, hey come on live a little! :) I'm currently back to iPhone but I always miss Android and it's awesome fun to tinker around with if you never really did. Worst come to worst you sell it after a while and consider it money spent on enjoyment. Come the Note 8 release in a month or two, my wallet will have to run and hide from me :D

Yeah I probably will and your comment about the Note 8 has me thinking too. I'll probably wait and see what that looks like and then decide between that and the S8 Plus.

Reactions: Oohara

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

You will lose Samsung Finder and weather/clock widget. But you can get Finder back using one of those shortcut creator.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
It's pee easy to switch back and forth. Just go into settings. Type home. Change default home from Nova to Samsung or vice versa. Takes seconds to switch.
Excellent. I should have the S8 next week. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
[doublepost=1498826502][/doublepost]
You lose some of Samsung's widgets such as the weather clock. That's about it.

You will lose Samsung Finder and weather/clock widget. But you can get Finder back using one of those shortcut creator.
Okay great. Thanks guys.

Reactions: MRU

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Excellent. I should have the S8 next week. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
[doublepost=1498826502][/doublepost]

Okay great. Thanks guys.

Other than Nova, I can recommend tsf launcher. I think it is smoother than Nova. The folder animation is better as well. It also has some very cool 3d widgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.