Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
But with all the promo deals the actual cost is most probably below the listed price.

Where I am from, price already dropped about 12-15% from launch retail price and now is about the same price as the 32gb ip7.
Again, that's assuming you even have an old qualifying Samsung phone to trade in, which I and many others do not. And as I already said, I can find new iPhone 7s for even cheaper.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Well, BestBuy is offering a $200 GiftCard with the purchase of an unlocked S8/S8+. If you have a credit card with price protection, there's the opportunity to save even more if Samsung/retailers discount the unlocked version again down the road.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
What are the biggest things we lose by not using the stock/Samsung launcher? Also, how easy or difficult is it to switch back and forth between stock and Nova? (for a true comparison)
If you can call it a loss, you lose the ability to swipe to Bixby (but do gain swipe to Google Now in the beta). You also lose the default clock / weather widget that's only available in the stock launcher, but I bought Transparent Weather Clock (there is a free version too) and the widgets from that are pretty nice as you can see here (The pixelated bit is my location and next appointment :))

Screenshot_20170630-142738.png

Apart from that and the folders looking a bit nicer when open on stock, I can't think of anything to be honest

It's incredibly simple to switch back to the stock launcher - just open Nova settings (long press on home screen, then select settings) and click on Select Default Launcher, then TouchWiz

To get back to Nova, just open it from the app drawer or home screen if you have the icon there. That will start it but won't set it as the default (so pressing home will go back to stock). To make it the default again, open nova settings and you'll see a big prompt telling you Nova isn't the default and offering to set it as default: Just press that and then Nova from the choices that appear

Can you expand on this?

Basically it makes the UI darker at night (folder backgrounds, app drawer background, search bar) - it's only a little thing but does look cool :)

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Well, BestBuy is offering a $200 GiftCard with the purchase of an unlocked S8/S8+. If you have a credit card with price protection, there's the opportunity to save even more if Samsung/retailers discount the unlocked version again down the road.

In this case the S8 is $100 cheaper retail than iPhone 7 - 32gb which has been in market far longer. Amazing that apple can make such huge profit margin from it's fans.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Solid offer, I got the $200 off with any smartphone trade in (sending an old Verizon Moto G) and $100 off the regular price. Pushing them to give me my edu discount on top as well, but we will see if I can get that one. If Samsung drops the price to $425 or something in the next two months, I am solid.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Anyone else see pink along the edges of the display due to the curvature of the edges? Its ever so faint but I cannot get past it! Ugh!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Anyone else see pink along the edges of the display due to the curvature of the edges? Its ever so faint but I cannot get past it! Ugh!
Yep, it's more noticeable obviously on something like a web page but yeah there colour shift / refraction is there, but has always been there. It's less than it was on the S6e and S7e in fairness but is still there, and is just repercussion of the edge tech.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

It depends on the device. I've gone through several S8's due to hardware issues (2 of them being really bad pink that even the color sliders didn't fix). My current device's screen is flawless, no pink anywhere and I haven't even touched the color sliders.

Do you use adaptive display? you can try to make the edges cooler in the settings. Otherwise, you'll have to live with it or try to exchange/return and hope for a perfect one.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Leading class camera. Leading class screen. Leading class design and ergonomics. Leading class battery QC. And software that is amazing and feature-rich.

It's well deserved.

I still have my iPhone 7+ which is currently running iOS 11 beta.

Between the iPhone 7+ and my GS8+, while I personally think the Samsung is overall better the differences between the two is going to be preference for most.

I wouldn't complain or be hampered in any way if I were forced to only use one. I switch back and forth for amusement.

The smartphone wars are over from my perspective. Now it's just a hobby.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I still have my iPhone 7+ which is currently running iOS 11 beta.

Between the iPhone 7+ and my GS8+, while I personally think the Samsung is overall better the differences between the two is going to be preference for most.

I wouldn't complain or be hampered in any way if I were forced to only use one. I switch back and forth for amusement.

The smartphone wars are over from my perspective. Now it's just a hobby.

Very much agree. I wrote the other day in the "would you switch thread" that the iPhone will continue being a great smartphone option.

I believe competition is going to make Apple exciting again. I'm really looking forward to the next few years out of Apple.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
How stable is that running? I have the beta running on an iPad Pro 9.7 and there are some quirks but otherwise it's running fairly well.

Very very quirky. Not for daily driver use for sure. True for my iPad and iPhone. I wouldn't recommend it at this stage.

Reactions: widgeteer

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
The bloat really isn't bad on this thing. If you are handy at all with a PC you can install the Unlocked Firmware (which overrides the T-Mobile firmware). You lose some functionality but lose some bloat as well. I did it on day one and have had no issues. The only thing I've lost is Video Calling (through the phone app). I have WiFi calling, VoLTE, band 12, etc... Let me know if you want and I can link you to the instructions on Reddit. It's a very easy process, especially if you have any experience with flashing on Android.

In terms of uninstalling the Samsung services, you can download a package disabler and get rid of some of it but not all of it. Just do research on XDA or AndroidCentral or something to make sure what you disable won't mess anything else up. It really isn't that bad though. Touchwiz, now known as something else is MUCH nicer than it was even a few years ago. It's lean and fast. You can use the Launcher I posted earlier today to get a great Pixel Launcher. It has all the functionality of the original pixel launcher. If you just install the one from google you won't have the swipe right for Google now, which I love.

Since you can install the Unlocked firmware, Is it possible to install carrier specific firmware as well? I will be using the device on AT&T and apparently only AT&T branded S8 can use wifi calling. If I can flash the AT&T firmware on my S8 then I should be able to activate wifi calling.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have that on my S7 Edge. I had a very distracting pink edging on my S8+ until I got the update that let me get rid of the pink "frame" around the display. However there still is a VERY faint pink glow at the extreme edge of the display due to the curvature. I don't think there's really any way to get rid of that via software because it seems to just be the nature of the optics of the curvature.

I really am not a fan of the curve. There are times I appreciate the beauty and iconic look of it, but I much prefer the flatness of the display on my S7 non Edge version.

If I can free up a $1000 for another phone in the next six months and it's a choice between the Note 8 with a curved display and the new IPhone 8, I'm reasonably confident I'll go for the IPhone 8, which according to most leaks looks like it's going to be flat-ish.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Since you can install the Unlocked firmware, Is it possible to install carrier specific firmware as well? I will be using the device on AT&T and apparently only AT&T branded S8 can use wifi calling. If I can flash the AT&T firmware on my S8 then I should be able to activate wifi calling.

Yep this is possible too. I actually flashed the T-Mobile firmware on my Verizon model before settling on the unlocked. The only thing the tmobile firmware added was video calling, an ugly load screen, and some bloat.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Yep this is possible too. I actually flashed the T-Mobile firmware on my Verizon model before settling on the unlocked. The only thing the tmobile firmware added was video calling, an ugly load screen, and some bloat.

I can deal with the bloatware (with package disabler) as long as I can get wifi calling... I live in an area with weak signal so it is a real benefit to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.