Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I haven't even gotten my S8 yet (it's backordered) but I'm doing lots of research on it. I keep reading comments from people saying that Nova Launcher WAS the way to way in the past, but now, especially on the S8, Touchwiz is MUCH better than ever before and that Nova is no longer really needed. Anyone here feel that way too?

The Samsung Software Experience does quite well in all honesty -- it's easily the best iteration of what we formerly call TouchWiz ever. Samsung software on top of Android N does well, and I think it's worth trying it out for a few days to see how you like it.

Nova will always be there when you're ready. There is even a free version with a few features omitted that you can try first. If you like it, I strongly recommending buying the full version for all the features (if they interest you) but also to help the developer. The support for this app over the years has been amazing.

Personally, I could have stayed on the default Samsung launcher were it not for one oddity I couldn't get over: you swipe up to get to the app drawer, but then have to swipe left-right cause the app drawer is paginated. That didn't flow with me. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I haven't even gotten my S8 yet (it's backordered) but I'm doing lots of research on it. I keep reading comments from people saying that Nova Launcher WAS the way to way in the past, but now, especially on the S8, Touchwiz is MUCH better than ever before and that Nova is no longer really needed. Anyone here feel that way too?

touchwiz IS a lot better than previous iterations, but IMO, Nova launcher still is better (remember, touchwiz is more than just a launcher, it's the framework in which the entire OS is built upon). Stock launcher is fast but I do like the customization of Nova. But hopefully you'll get your phone soon so you can decide for yourself!

Last edited:
Reactions: Channan and jamezr

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
The bloat really isn't bad on this thing. If you are handy at all with a PC you can install the Unlocked Firmware (which overrides the T-Mobile firmware). You lose some functionality but lose some bloat as well. I did it on day one and have had no issues. The only thing I've lost is Video Calling (through the phone app). I have WiFi calling, VoLTE, band 12, etc... Let me know if you want and I can link you to the instructions on Reddit. It's a very easy process, especially if you have any experience with flashing on Android.

In terms of uninstalling the Samsung services, you can download a package disabler and get rid of some of it but not all of it. Just do research on XDA or AndroidCentral or something to make sure what you disable won't mess anything else up. It really isn't that bad though. Touchwiz, now known as something else is MUCH nicer than it was even a few years ago. It's lean and fast. You can use the Launcher I posted earlier today to get a great Pixel Launcher. It has all the functionality of the original pixel launcher. If you just install the one from google you won't have the swipe right for Google now, which I love.

Do you mind sharing the Reddit link to installing the unlocked firmware?

Reactions: Zackmd1

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
The bloat really isn't bad on this thing. If you are handy at all with a PC you can install the Unlocked Firmware (which overrides the T-Mobile firmware). You lose some functionality but lose some bloat as well. I did it on day one and have had no issues. The only thing I've lost is Video Calling (through the phone app). I have WiFi calling, VoLTE, band 12, etc... Let me know if you want and I can link you to the instructions on Reddit. It's a very easy process, especially if you have any experience with flashing on Android.

In terms of uninstalling the Samsung services, you can download a package disabler and get rid of some of it but not all of it. Just do research on XDA or AndroidCentral or something to make sure what you disable won't mess anything else up. It really isn't that bad though. Touchwiz, now known as something else is MUCH nicer than it was even a few years ago. It's lean and fast. You can use the Launcher I posted earlier today to get a great Pixel Launcher. It has all the functionality of the original pixel launcher. If you just install the one from google you won't have the swipe right for Google now, which I love.

Thanks for the tip! I will look into it!

Edit: Just found a xml file with what is said to be a complete list of packages to disable on the S8.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cur13mex8m6jdn5/disabledpackagesfull.xml?dl=0

Last edited:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
TouchWiz is a lot better than it was before, but I still can’t use Samsung's launcher. I’m using Nova on my Galaxy S8.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Got shipment notice from Samsung for my free entertainment kit. Extra 64gb of storage here I come. Don't even really need it but free is free.

One of the best upgrades in the s8 was the 64gb standard on board storage.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
One last question for those with an S8.... How is the fingerprint sensor treating you? Did you get used to the weird placement after awhile or is it just always awkward to use? Not really interested in the iris scanner or face unlock....

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
One last question for those with an S8.... How is the fingerprint sensor treating you? Did you get used to the weird placement after awhile or is it just always awkward to use? Not really interested in the iris scanner or face unlock....

There's no question the FPS isn't ideal. It should be lower and more centered. But it is honestly quite easy to get used to the location. You just use your finger straight more than bent.

And I find the FPS fantastic and reliable. I unlock with rarely a miss. Once you get used to it, you can finger unlock as you're pulling it out of your pocket. It's ready to use by the time you bring it up to your face
(Marquis Brown in his youtube review of the Pixel demonstrates this).

Btw, give facial unlock a shot. It's quite good. I go to it when I know I'm in the correct scenario (generally good light). It's shockingly fast. When I'm in conditions I know isn't ideal, I go directly for the FPS sensor.

The S8 also has smart unlock, whereby it'll automatically deactivate your lock screen security when it's in a trusted location or when it's connected to a trusted device (all customizable which deactivates and which doesn't).

Good luck.

Reactions: Zackmd1

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Got shipment notice from Samsung for my free entertainment kit. Extra 64gb of storage here I come. Don't even really need it but free is free.

One of the best upgrades in the s8 was the 64gb standard on board storage.
Yeah, but you pay for that. I remember some people saying one of the benefits of the Galaxy S8 over the iPhone 7 was that the Galaxy S8 had more base storage. But when you realize it costed as much as (more than, in my situation) the 128GB iPhone 7, suddenly it didn't really seem like that great of a deal. I would have gladly paid $50-100 less for a 32GB Galaxy S8, but whatever. It is nice knowing I'll never have to worry about storage.

Why aren't you interested in the iris scanner? It works so well. I only use the fingerprint scanner out in bright sunlight, where the iris scanner doesn't work because my pupils have closed too much. But because I don't use it very often, I'm still not really used to the location, though when I do use it, it's really quick.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
where the iris scanner doesn't work because my pupils have closed too much.

That is mostly why... I want to use a reliable unlock method that will work in all conditions. I really don't want to have an unlock method setup that I cannot use in certain daily conditions. That pretty much leaves a password unlock or the fingerprint sensor.

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
why not just sign out of imessage before you swap sims? I have both Android phones and a 7+ and do this regularly without issues.

I do this on my iPhone. I didn't think I had to do it on my Macs as it's a little different ... but I'm guessing this is the main issue as everyone has stated they don't have any issues ... I'll try it this weekend maybe.

Reactions: jamezr

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
That is mostly why... I want to use a reliable unlock method that will work in all conditions. I really don't want to have an unlock method setup that I cannot use in certain daily conditions. That pretty much leaves a password unlock or the fingerprint sensor.
If you use the facial recognition to unlock, you still have the option to unlock using your fingerprint. If your face won't work because it's too dark outside, place your finger on the back and it will unlock.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
It seems Sammy is listening to the lag/stutters some are experiencing. They just updated the Touchwiz Launcher for the S8/S8+

WHAT'S NEW
Updates via the app store of your choice are only available on the Galaxy S8 and S8+.
[6.1.09.2]
- Added an information screen to Samsung TouchWiz Home.
- Fixed the lag issue when swiping up and down to switch between the home and apps screens.
- Improved the visibility of app names under icons.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.launcher

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
It seems Sammy is listening to the lag/stutters some are experiencing. They just updated the Touchwiz Launcher for the S8/S8+

WHAT'S NEW
Updates via the app store of your choice are only available on the Galaxy S8 and S8+.
[6.1.09.2]
- Fixed the lag issue when swiping up and down to switch between the home and apps screens.

Maybe because it just came out but it says it's incompatible with any of my devices, S8+ included.

Showed as an update on the Samsung store.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yeah, but you pay for that. I remember some people saying one of the benefits of the Galaxy S8 over the iPhone 7 was that the Galaxy S8 had more base storage. But when you realize it costed as much as (more than, in my situation) the 128GB iPhone 7, suddenly it didn't really seem like that great of a deal. I would have gladly paid $50-100 less for a 32GB Galaxy S8, but whatever. It is nice knowing I'll never have to worry about storage.

Why aren't you interested in the iris scanner? It works so well. I only use the fingerprint scanner out in bright sunlight, where the iris scanner doesn't work because my pupils have closed too much. But because I don't use it very often, I'm still not really used to the location, though when I do use it, it's really quick.

I'd like to think that the price also includes all the tech, like the screen for example, and features that the iPhone doesn't have. And it's still cheaper to increase storage with microSD than to keep going up the tiers for iPhone storage, no?

The free kit also comes with a phone cover and earphones, along with the 64GB card.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I do this on my iPhone. I didn't think I had to do it on my Macs as it's a little different ... but I'm guessing this is the main issue as everyone has stated they don't have any issues ... I'll try it this weekend maybe.

YES! sign out on macs, ipads, etc. If you don't, you're number will still be tied to iMessage and messages will get trapped in "iMessage Purgatory". Also, deregister your number here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Reactions: jamezr and HiDEF

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

WHAT'S NEW
[6.1.09.2]

Maybe because it just came out but it says it's incompatible with any of my devices, S8+ included.

Showed as an update on the Samsung store.

It looks like that update through the play store is only for Exynos devices. I don't see it either on my Snapdragon S8. Not in Galaxy apps either. I wonder how the Snapdragon devices get this update? My guess is the Galaxy Apps app

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/6jy4mv/news_just_received_touchwiz_update_through/

EDIT: looks like I already have the updated version in Galaxy apps, so I must have already received this update.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170628-103252.png
    Screenshot_20170628-103252.png
    529.7 KB · Views: 94

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Does anyone know if Samsung unlocks phones bought directly through them outright if they are a carrier model?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Does anyone know if Samsung unlocks phones bought directly through them outright if they are a carrier model?

you can buy unlocked or the carrier version (which they are all the same hardware, just different CSC's essentially flashed to them). With that being said, I'd image the carrier version are locked to that carrier (except the Verizon model which is unlocked from the get go). You'll get carrier bloat on all the carrier versions and the unlocked one is the truly unlocked, carrier bloat removed, phone.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    38.7 KB · Views: 89

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I definitely am fine with the location of the sensor. When I first got it, it didn't work for me for a day or two. Then it became completely reliable. Then it stopped being reliable, but a forum member on this thread told me to re-register my print and to do so two or three times (make 2-3 recorded fingerprint profiles of the same fingerprint) and I did and I am back to enjoying reliable and fast unlocking using the fingerprint scanner.

I dont know why my print stopped working and needed to be rescanned. That's a mystery I'll just have to live with. But the solution I was offered worked, so all's well that ends well.

I don't use the Iris scanner because it hurts my eyes a lot. Really a lot, even after I'm done using it. The one on my Note 7 stung a little, too, which is why I stopped using it even though it worked very well. Now on the S8+ I can't tolerate it at all anymore. Not even one more time. Ever. If that technology comes to iPhone I won't even try it once. No way. Ouch ouch ouch.

Reactions: Roadstar

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
you can buy unlocked or the carrier version (which they are all the same hardware, just different CSC's essentially flashed to them). With that being said, I'd image the carrier version are locked to that carrier (except the Verizon model which is unlocked from the get go). You'll get carrier bloat on all the carrier versions and the unlocked one is the truly unlocked, carrier bloat removed, phone.

Reason I asked is because I am selling my S7 to a friend for $315. It's locked to T-Mobile and they refuse to unlock the device for me as it is a "Non T-Mobile" phone because I bought it directly from Samsung locked to T-Mobile. That is a lousy customer service decision on their tech support side. I am writing T-Force for sure. My friend will flip the phone worst case scenario, so I am good with getting $ to use towards my unlocked S8+ order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.