Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Personally, I'm tired of the Apple v Samsung discussion. People need to realize the are phones and not religions. If iOS is better for you, use it. If Android is better for you, use it. Or, heck, use whichever you like better. Life is far too short to really worry about what OS your pocket computer runs.
You could say the same about who gets the update first, as long as you get it :rolleyes::D

Reactions: jamezr

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You could say the same about who gets the update first, as long as you get it :rolleyes::D
I would say it's about the same now with the monthly security updates as they don't only contain security patches but often bug fixes and new features and of course you get core updates from google. It's just done in a different way.

Of course devices do get supported for longer on iOS but in terms of phones most only keep them for 2 years so the extra supported is negated there. Also there is sometimes a cost associated with upgrading software. For example with iOS 11 Apple will no longer support 32 bit apps. Well I have a number of 32 bit apps including some legacy games which I won't be able to play anymore if I update my devices to iOS 11.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
GBoard Gboard Gboard. Best keyboard on the planet. I am a big fan of Apple's but if iOS's 3rd party keyboard implementation didn't suck, I'd have Gboard on my iPhone as well.

Gboard is good, but I'm finding Cheetah Keyboard to be all around more pleasant to type on with better predictive capabilities. I downloaded it on a whim and walk away impressed. Very good product.

yitzmich

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2015
A lot of us here are using both. Similarly my iPhone is my main number for messaging, contacts, telephone calls and email. TBH, no android phone I've ever had works better for handling legacy .mac email accounts than my iPhone and Mac do. Plus messaging being accessible and with High Sierra proper syncing / unification between my desktop, laptop and phone - for work stuff it simply is a no brainier for me to keep iOS as my work tool.

I still sync my emails to my android devices but they don't support push,only fetch and sometimes there are delays or annoyances when deleting them. Gmail has a habit of going through process of deleting and then brings it back as a new message, thus requiring deletion again.

Likewise I can't keep track of my text and iMessages from work clients as well as I can on iOS with message forwarding and answering from my computers.

My iPhone however barely gets used for music or YouTube or social media. Barely even use the camera despite it being a great camera generally. I tend to do all that on my android devices.

It's a setup that works for me. iPhone for work, Android for media consumption and camera / cameras.
Do you get push Gmail on iPhone? Because that's something that annoys me that on my iPhone it only fetches every 15 minutes but on Android pushes right away.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Do you get push Gmail on iPhone? Because that's something that annoys me that on my iPhone it only fetches every 15 minutes but on Android pushes right away.
I am not sure, tbh my Gmail email address is barely used, only for play store receipts and such so there is never anything pressing that I worry about with my Gmail. For me, it is my three old .mac email addresses that are my work and personal email accounts that I need access to much quicker & reliably.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Question: I often use my iPhone while the phone is sitting on my desk or on a table. With the fingerprint sensor on the front it's easy to quickly unlock and use without having to pick up the phone (which I like very much). What's the easiest way to unlock and use the S8 while it's sitting on a desk or table? Can it be done without picking up the phone?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Question: I often use my iPhone while the phone is sitting on my desk or on a table. With the fingerprint sensor on the front it's easy to quickly unlock and use without having to pick up the phone (which I like very much). What's the easiest way to unlock and use the S8 while it's sitting on a desk or table? Can it be done without picking up the phone?

Depends on if you have Smart Lock enabled or not. I have a Gear S3 Frontier watch and have smart lock set up with that. So for me, I just unlock the phone by holding down the home button, especially when it's on a dock or table.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170626-085526.png
    Screenshot_20170626-085526.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 87

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Wow. Very cool. I don't have a smart watch, but the "Location" feature looks perfect. Does it work reliably?

I know the location feature has been hit or miss but I believe Google is working on it's reliability. I say give it a shot and if it doesn't work out well, just remove it. The BT one works perfectly for me but it helps that I have a smart watch on all the time :)

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Smart Lock can pair to anything with BT so just pick up as small a BT device as you can find and carry it in your pocket or keep it at your desk if the location isn't working reliably. I know it's not ideal but it works.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Smart Lock can pair to anything with BT so just pick up as small a BT device as you can find and carry it in your pocket or keep it at your desk if the location isn't working reliably. I know it's not ideal but it works.
Interesting. Got any examples of something super-small and super-cheap? ;)

EDIT: I just remembered that my son has a FitBit so I'll borrow it for a while to test the waters. Eventually I'd like to get a smart watch but I'll need to get something cheap for myself until that happens.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting. Got any examples of something super-small and super-cheap? ;)

EDIT: I just remembered that my son has a FitBit so I'll borrow it for a while to test the waters. Eventually I'd like to get a smart watch but I'll need to get something cheap for myself until that happens.

eBay is probably your best bet. I don't have any specific examples since I don't do this. I found out about it from a friend who had this small BT device on his keychain. No clue what he paid. I'd search for something like BT keychain or the like.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Depends on if you have Smart Lock enabled or not. I have a Gear S3 Frontier watch and have smart lock set up with that. So for me, I just unlock the phone by holding down the home button, especially when it's on a dock or table.
What theme are using?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Anyone with the unlocked US snapdragon model, how is the experience? Bloat free good? Do you get the timely updates Samsung committed towards? Are you on the June patch with Bixby and the navigation bar setting change? I am expecting good battery life with the S8+ along with a more pleasurable experience with device support.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone with the unlocked US snapdragon model, how is the experience? Bloat free good? Do you get the timely updates Samsung committed towards? Are you on the June patch with Bixby and the navigation bar setting change? I am expecting good battery life with the S8+ along with a more pleasurable experience with device support.

I got the June update very quickly (maybe 2 weeks ago or a bit less). I have the Bixby stuff up and running (beta) but the navigation bar setting change is only on international exynos models for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.