Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
For S8+ users, how is the GPS/maps accuracy? My wife has an S7 and I'm thinking of jumping from an iPhone 6 to an S8+, but the location accuracy of her S7 is garbage. Even if the location is identified correctly in Google Maps (about 50% of the time), the direction is incorrect, which makes turn-by-turn or pathfinding useless. She has downloaded that GPS coordinate app which is supposed to fix things, but it hasn't, and when it comes up with "this phone needs to be calibrated", nothing is improved after waving it around in the air.

I have heard that this is a particular problem on the S7. I hope the S8/S8+ has this all fixed?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
For S8+ users, how is the GPS/maps accuracy? My wife has an S7 and I'm thinking of jumping from an iPhone 6 to an S8+, but the location accuracy of her S7 is garbage. Even if the location is identified correctly in Google Maps (about 50% of the time), the direction is incorrect, which makes turn-by-turn or pathfinding useless. She has downloaded that GPS coordinate app which is supposed to fix things, but it hasn't, and when it comes up with "this phone needs to be calibrated", nothing is improved after waving it around in the air.

I have heard that this is a particular problem on the S7. I hope the S8/S8+ has this all fixed?

I use Google Maps and Alltrails regularly and thus far the GPS performance has been stellar and very accurate.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
I get wifi calling on T-Mobile using the unlocked firmware. Not sure if ATT would be the same.

Unfortunately from what I have read, AT&T does things differently with wifi calling so that only AT&T branded phones can access it... I strongly dislike AT&T for practices like this but unfortunately they own my number due to a 2 year contract agreement until next year so for now I am stuck with them. I have found a guide on the XDA forums on how to switch carrier firmware so it looks like I will be completing that guide soon.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

My husband says it's fine. He used it to navigate us around Los Angeles and parts of South Carolina just fine.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Unfortunately from what I have read, AT&T does things differently with wifi calling so that only AT&T branded phones can access it... I strongly dislike AT&T for practices like this but unfortunately they own my number due to a 2 year contract agreement until next year so for now I am stuck with them. I have found a guide on the XDA forums on how to switch carrier firmware so it looks like I will be completing that guide soon.

Let me know if you run into any issues and maybe I can help I did this process recently when I tried the T-Mobile firmware.

Reactions: Zackmd1

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah I feel lucky that they accepted my trade. Sounds like they are cracking down on those that went out and bought cheap ($10-20) Prepaid Android devices. I sent in an old moto.

I have an old Moto, never been activated on Verizon, purchased about 3 years ago. Is that good enough? I am not trying to buy a cheap $5 phone from Walmart to just flip to them like that.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have an old Moto, never been activated on Verizon, purchased about 3 years ago. Is that good enough? I am not trying to buy a cheap $5 phone from Walmart to just flip to them like that.
Mine was a Droid razr. I think it is 5 years old so I'd say yours is ok as long as it powers on, holds a charge, screen works, and doesn't have a cracked screen.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I think it's psychological but turning off haptic feedback makes the phone feel a lot smoother to use. I turn it off on the keyboard, dialpad and throughout the OS.

Also, I just discovered if I have Smart Lock on, I just hard press the AOD home button and it unlocks the phone without having to swipe up!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Mine was a Droid razr. I think it is 5 years old so I'd say yours is ok as long as it powers on, holds a charge, screen works, and doesn't have a cracked screen.

I hope they take mine because it's not like buying an Alcatel One Touch Pixi or whatever was on sale for $5-$10 people bought as trade in burners.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Looks like dual-SIM S8+ models are now available in the Finnish Samsung site, too! It's just a little bit late as I already bought the OnePlus 5, but the availability is a nice thing as it gives me more options moving forward. However, I would've preferred the regular size S8, but so far only the plus is available as a dual-SIM model.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I think it's psychological but turning off haptic feedback makes the phone feel a lot smoother to use. I turn it off on the keyboard, dialpad and throughout the OS.

I do not do not DO NOT understand anyone still using haptic feedback on their keyboards in 2017. The entire point of haptic feedback on a keyboard was to try to imitate the sensation of physical keys back when that was the norm and on screen keyboards were still new to people. I'm not arguing against developers leaving the option but it's strange to me that anyone would actually prefer it. Definitely makes the sensation of typing feel slower. Reminds me of resistive touch screens...which, ew ew ew.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I do not do not DO NOT understand anyone still using haptic feedback on their keyboards in 2017. The entire point of haptic feedback on a keyboard was to try to imitate the sensation of physical keys back when that was the norm and on screen keyboards were still new to people. I'm not arguing against developers leaving the option but it's strange to me that anyone would actually prefer it. Definitely makes the sensation of typing feel slower. Reminds me of resistive touch screens...which, ew ew ew.

One of the first things I do on all my Android phones is to turn off haptic feedback everywhere, including the keyboards. Next would be be reducing the animations to .5x. :)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Also, I just discovered if I have Smart Lock on, I just hard press the AOD home button and it unlocks the phone without having to swipe up!

I turn off typing haptic feedback as well. Does nothing to enhance the experience. Certainly saves on resources and battery life to an extent as well.

Reactions: Demo Kit

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

My S7 GPS was perfect and so is my S8+ I would say your wife has a faulty unit.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Capturing the moments with the Galaxy S8
47fadbdc5373e9e0cd0895feafacb4ec.jpg
e7eff322507b85b0a63e27711ffb67dc.jpg

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

I have never had any problems on S7 or S8 with GPS and we use it in several countries and the offline maps are very useful with no local sim

On foot GPS by nature can be odd at times (direction arrow can fluctuate) especially if you stand in one spot for a while, but this has nothing to do with Samsung

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I'm really torn. Everytime I try Android I quickly scurry back to the iPhone. I have a 7 Plus now but I'm considering just buying an S8 as well and having 2 phones and moving back and forth.

So I ended up buying a brand new unlocked S8 off Craigslist for $520. I love it but I'm a little concerned about the battery life after having the 7 Plus. Is losing 9 percent after 6 hours of standby time with the always on display on normal?

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Going by my S7, I'd say no.
I'm sure the S8 has better standby..
Nothing going on in the background?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.