Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
In other news, my S8 has a camera problem. It went away for a while but now it's back.

Open up the camera app and around 40% of the time, it's likely to be blurry. It's a known problem.

Contacting Samsung today, let's see what they say.

EDIT: They reckon a new software update which started rolling out yesterday should fix the problem:

"It is for the camera issue, yes. It has a few other patches, but the camera issue is the main fix."

Last edited:

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I know this gets asked a lot but is any there real fix to sort the lags and stutter out? I'm trying so hard to keep using my S8 Plus and not run back to the iPhone. It's just so difficult when you're used to a device that doesn't ever show any stutter, lag or delay.

Just little things like scrolling in Chrome or opening snapchat and trying to swipe over to the chat lists. Opening Facebook messenger from the chat bubbles.

Been restarting the phone a few times a day! But it still just has those tiny stutters.

Amazing phone tho.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I know this gets asked a lot but is any there real fix to sort the lags and stutter out? I'm trying so hard to keep using my S8 Plus and not run back to the iPhone. It's just so difficult when you're used to a device that doesn't ever show any stutter, lag or delay.

Just little things like scrolling in Chrome or opening snapchat and trying to swipe over to the chat lists. Opening Facebook messenger from the chat bubbles.

Been restarting the phone a few times a day! But it still just has those tiny stutters.

Amazing phone tho.

Go to Developer Options:

1) Make sure transitions are off or at 0.5x

2) Disable Hardware Overlays (this makes a big difference)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Thank you, I've just changed both of them so I'll give it a try.

Also, I use Nova Launcher, do you think makes it better or worse?

I go back and forth on Nova but on the S8 never tried it out! The stock launcher is fine for once.

Let me know how you get on!

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel

Amazing phone tho.
Instead of Chrome, try using the Samsung Browser it's actually really good compared to Safari on iOS. Also Snapchat is just horrible on Android, it just doesn't run as smooth as the iOS version.

Are you using the stock keyboard? I know there are reports of device issues with Swiftkey for some reason.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Go to Developer Options:

1) Make sure transitions are off or at 0.5x

2) Disable Hardware Overlays (this makes a big difference)

You shouldn't disable hardware overlays. It makes the phone lethargic (slows down graphic performance.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Did anyone use the Samsung store for buying a phone?
Yes, my husband and I did because we wanted to be assured of getting the preorder promotion package without having to go through a more convoluted process similar to redeeming a rebate coupon. Everything arrived promptly and our promo items arrived with no problem.

The disadvantage of buying directly from their store is a more convoluted return process that involves being put on hold on the phone if you buy anything right after its released. Everything apparently has to go through their one customer service phone number.

When I was thinking about returning my phone due to pink edges, I went to their site to see what my options for return were and found out everyone gets stuck in the same customer service queue over the phone, and theirs was being overwhelmed with hours of hold time because so many customers had questions and complaints about delays in getting their promotions processed. I went to their customer service forum to ask for some other method of processing a return that didn't involve using the phone and never received a response. Fortunately I changed my mind about returning the phone and the patch worked for the problem just fine.

I won't say that I'll never buy directly from them again, because I probably would purchase an unlocked phone if the price was right. But if I ever buy another carrier version, I will just go to my AT&T store so I can return defective merchandise easier.

Honestly, it's 2017 and they should have more avenues of customer service than a toll free customer service number. I was able to contact an assistant via email when I wanted to cancel a preorder and verify it had been canceled. I suppose I could have used that email to summon another representative and start a new inquiry about returns, but that was not the process outlined for returns on their site.

Reactions: jamezr

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Amazing phone tho.

Chrome sucks on all Android devices. Ditch it and go with Samsung Internet. It feels like Safari on iOS. Otherwise, speed up animations as mentioned but just be ready, this phone will slow down a bit and you will get delays in pressing icons, actions, etc. It's already happening with my S8. But, Chrome is laggy AF on every android device I've owned. Samsung Internet is a breath of fresh air.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Anyone know how to set defaults for the built-in Samsung Clock app? I set Alarms everyday for various things and I'm getting tired of always having to manually turn on "Alarm tone and volume" (which then tells me it's turning off "Bixby briefing") then manually turning on "Gradually increase volume." I'd like to have these settings as the default since I change them every time I set an alarm. Is this possible??

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11540/samsung-galaxy-s8-exynos-versus-snapdragon/6

Regarding the difference in the snapdragon 835 vs the exynos model of the s8:

This article runs contrary to the prevailing stigma in this thread. The difference is the use of real, quantifiable data, and not just a random YouTube video. The silicon lottery, the different apps installed, and 100 other variables can account for a different in what a single YouTube video, or user experiences. This applies to any device.

Anandtech crowns the snapdragon 835 asnhe superior version of the s8 line.

I still contend that it doesn't matter, and the problem is people obsessing. Enjoy your life, and you'll enjoy your gadgets too.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11540/samsung-galaxy-s8-exynos-versus-snapdragon/6

This article runs contrary to the prevailing stigma in this thread. The difference is the use of real, quantifiable data, and not just a random YouTube video. The silicon lottery, the different apps installed, and 100 other variables can account for a different in what a single YouTube video, or user experiences. This applies to any device.

I still contend that it doesn't matter, and the problem is people obsessing. Enjoy your life, and you'll enjoy your gadgets too.
agreed......the differences are so small (if any) that no one would notice at all anyway....

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
Other update for exynos one
812d55d48e1da7de301097e9527f2227.jpg

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

For me, the reason I'm getting Exynos next time isn't strictly performance. They're also getting more updates.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
The snapdragon 835 is finally the better version in comparison to the exynos version of the S8. The exynos processor didn't really improve that much from the exynos of last year.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
For me, the reason I'm getting Exynos next time isn't strictly performance. They're also getting more updates.
Perfectly valid reasoning. I would hope Samsung and keep the two models on par, software optimization wise, and benchmarks to be nothing more than that.

But my point is I don't think it matters. Both phones give a great experience. The extra power of the s835 won't even be utilized our apparent until these phones are outdated.

My s8+ has held up on all fronts better than any other previous Samsung phone. There is a good chance I'll keep it until the next galaxy... But I always say that....

Reactions: jamezr

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
This doesn't necessarily mean the Snapdragon is more powerful this year. It just means in tests they did it performed ever so slightly better than the Exynos. My bet is that Samsung calibrates these things to perform as closely as possible to one another so as not to cause a controversy. The exynos could very well be much more powerful (as could the Snapdragon) but we'll never know.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
This doesn't necessarily mean the Snapdragon is more powerful this year. It just means in tests they did it performed ever so slightly better than the Exynos. My bet is that Samsung calibrates these things to perform as closely as possible to one another so as not to cause a controversy. The exynos could very well be much more powerful (as could the Snapdragon) but we'll never know.
The test should largely be independent of user facing performance. Manufacturers want their tested hardware to bench as high as possible. I highly doubt Samsung would gimp either chip, and if they did, it would be evident in the coding. It is possible that the individual chips or clot lower dinner theoretical potential, but I imagine that is largely due to battery life gains. It is much more likely that both chips are largely on par with each other. Is Samsung possess the chip that was markedly more powerful than that we are seeing, and could lay claim to closing the gap and single core performance with the Apple chips, they would use them. Assuming that they do not, and that these chips are largely equal, it makes sense to diversify their components

This is similar to the vega and pascal graphic cards. Different companies, different designs, similar performance, with individual strengths and weaknesses. For the money, it will be largely similar in a predestined desktop pc, for the average consumer. Asus, for example, until recently would use nvidia chips exclusively in high end gaming desktops. Now that amd has leveled the field with vega, manufacturers like asus will most likely offer both options in the high their high end desktops. Diversifying is usually considered a smart business move. I know the situation is different, but the example is sufficient for my point. I am not looking to argue the merits of Nevada and AMD graphics cards, because there is a completely separate form for tha is different, but the example is sufficient for my point. I am not looking to argue the merits of Nvidia and AMD graphics cards, just making an example.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Reactions: co.ag.2005

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Almost impulse bought an unlocked s8+ from best buy today. Price was I think 675 or 625 something like that. Way cheaper then carrier models.

Too bad it can't be rooted and the note 8 and pixel 2 are around the corner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.