Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I'm seeing how long on standby my S8+ can last. Looks like it will last a full week. My Note 8 is a few hours off from the stats below but it's standby is good as well.

So far, 1 day, 16hrs at 82% battery 13 minutes screen time. Chart shows 41 hrs left but it's shown about 43-45 hrs left since the start. As I said, I'm seeing how long the standby can go with very little usage, I have my Note 8 and several other phones I'm using this week.

I turned off Adguard Pro and it's amazing just how battery life that app consumes. I just turn it on when I am using apps that have ads in them including FaceBook.

Phone has a T-Mobile sim in it.

Last edited:

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
If you are a T-Mobile user, a major update over 400 MB has been released for the S8 and S8+. I have noticed that the animation lag has improved, it's almost no longer there. There are also less stutters. Overall, this update has made the UX much smoother so far. I never had any issues with the smoothness but I can definitely say it's so much more smoother now.

Apps are loading much faster too. Almost close to the note 8 but not quite there yet.

Will give my thoughts on battery life in a couple days....

Reactions: Nancy bout

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Your experience doesn't surprise me at all. AdGuard isn't very efficient in regular computer browsers either.
So far, I am up to just under 4 days standby with one hour usage. Again, I'm just trying to see how much standby I can get on this phone with very little usage. I am predicting a full week or 6 days. I have Adguard off and an activated T-Mobile sim is in the phone with WiFi off.

Screenshot_20170930-131918.png

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
So far, I am up to just under 4 days standby with one hour usage. Again, I'm just trying to see how much standby I can get on this phone with very little usage. I am predicting a full week or 6 days. I have Adguard off and an activated T-Mobile sim is in the phone with WiFi off.

View attachment 722440
That's fantastic. Anything that uses clock cycles will eat through battery. With just talk time, my longest charge has net me six and a half days. I tend to keep my brightness down in general. Way less irritating on the eyes.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I'm seeing how long on standby my S8+ can last. Looks like it will last a full week. My Note 8 is a few hours off from the stats below but it's standby is good as well.

So far, 1 day, 16hrs at 82% battery 13 minutes screen time. Chart shows 41 hrs left but it's shown about 43-45 hrs left since the start. As I said, I'm seeing how long the standby can go with very little usage, I have my Note 8 and several other phones I'm using this week.

I turned off Adguard Pro and it's amazing just how battery life that app consumes. I just turn it on when I am using apps that have ads in them including FaceBook.

You were definitely using the wrong adblocker. The only one truly optimized for Samsung devices that can be found in the Samsung App store is Adblock Fast. It does not harm battery life.

Reactions: Tsepz

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
You were definitely using the wrong adblocker. The only one truly optimized for Samsung devices that can be found in the Samsung App store is Adblock Fast. It does not harm battery life.
But that doesn't block ads in apps, it only works in the Samsung browser. Adguard Pro blocks ads system wide, apps, browsers, you name it.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
But that doesn't block ads in apps, it only works in the Samsung browser. Adguard Pro blocks ads system wide, apps, browsers, you name it.

It's better for you to buy the pro version of most apps to be ad free. A universal system wide ad blocker would definitely be harmful to your battery and I cannot recommend anyone to do that. I only recommend browser adblockers.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
It's better for you to buy the pro version of most apps that are ad free. A universal system wide ad blocker would definitely be harmful to your battery and I cannot recommend anyone to do that. I only recommend browser adblockers.
News apps don't offer a pro or ad free version. Those apps are what I use Adguard for. Also Facebook is seriously bad for full page popup ads and redirecting.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I reached 6 days standby on my S8+ when it reached 5% battery. I had 2 hrs screen time because I started to use it more today. Now I can recharge it and start using it all I want. :) I love this phone.

I'm not sure which phone I like better, the Note 8 or the S8+. I'm glad I have both.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013

Never had any problem with Adguard pro. Right now I'm using blokada and it blocks ads in every app.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Never had any problem with Adguard pro. Right now I'm using blokada and it blocks ads in every app.
I'm just pointing out that it does consume more battery life. I remember even on my S7 Edge that when I kept Adguard Pro off, my battery life almost doubled.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Lagwiz is not my imagination, or a thing of old Galaxy S4 days, it's still here with us today, and the reason I prefer the nexus / Pixel line if you like Android phones.

Start at the 6:41 mark

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Lagwiz is not my imagination, or a thing of old Galaxy S4 days, it's still here with us today, and the reason I prefer the nexus / Pixel line if you like Android phones.

Start at the 6:41 mark

Weird. My home button just worked and I didn't have the other lag she mentioned.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Weird. My home button just worked and I didn't have the other lag she mentioned.

Mine worked too and no lag but the latest update fixed what could have been slow animation when pressing the home button on the S8+. I don't think that's lag, probably slow animation.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I'm just pointing out that it does consume more battery life. I remember even on my S7 Edge that when I kept Adguard Pro off, my battery life almost doubled.

I used Adguard Pro but issue is that it caused delay in getting Whatsapp notification.

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
Hi,

I'm thinking to change to the S8 from my arcaic iPhone 6. But I have a question:

Can you say that the S8 is lag or shutter free?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hi,

I'm thinking to change to the S8 from my arcaic iPhone 6. But I have a question:

Can you say that the S8 is lag or shutter free?
My husband has trouble with lag from time to time. I did but found it was caused by one app (Pokémon go) messing with the camera app. You do need to be able to troubleshoot from time to time. The annoyance factor between iOS these days and Samsung Android is about the same. My husband and I have recently had some nasty freezing on iOS 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.