Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Another battery report for today. Listening to a few hours of music, calls, fb, text, and lots of YouTube. I may only have 18% left but that should get me 1.5 hours of screen time left. Almost 5 hours before I'm too tired so bed time. Note 8 is a 6 hour battery phone.
34d1adef0796780c156866fa62d9dd43.jpg

35c63219b03f3a8b419b4e4262b111eb.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So I just got the S8 active thanks to BOGO on at&t, and I got to say I'm more convinced than ever that Samsung needs to either get rid of the curved edges or give us an option. This phone feels so much better than the S8 I had earlier in the year. They do this and get rid of the top and bottom bezel, next year will be fun for Samsung devices.
I went to look at the Note 8 and IPhone 8 Plus at Best Buy and ran across the S8 Active. Unfortunately the demo unit screen would not turn on but the body of the phone was gorgeous. They did a nice job on the color this year. I will be keeping an eye on if any issues crop up this year and if they don't and Samsung does a dual camera S9 Active in 2018, I'll probably be back with Samsung.

I'm pretty set on never doing curved edges again, so Samsung is not likely to see my money again while this curvy crap is all they've got going. That's part of why I'm back on IPhone bandwagon again. That and the Apple Watch LTE. But Samsung looks to be going in a good direction with its new Sport watch, so I could be lured back late 2018 or 2019. We shall see. I do wish I had held out for the S8 Active instead of getting the S8+. I think I'd have been a lot happier.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I went to look at the Note 8 and IPhone 8 Plus at Best Buy and ran across the S8 Active. Unfortunately the demo unit screen would not turn on but the body of the phone was gorgeous. They did a nice job on the color this year. I will be keeping an eye on if any issues crop up this year and if they don't and Samsung does a dual camera S9 Active in 2018, I'll probably be back with Samsung.

I'm pretty set on never doing curved edges again, so Samsung is not likely to see my money again while this curvy crap is all they've got going. That's part of why I'm back on IPhone bandwagon again. That and the Apple Watch LTE. But Samsung looks to be going in a good direction with its new Sport watch, so I could be lured back late 2018 or 2019. We shall see. I do wish I had held out for the S8 Active instead of getting the S8+. I think I'd have been a lot happier.
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the curved edges. What I don't understand is why Samsung has used them on the Note line, they really should have kept the Note flat, this way if you want curved, get the S8 or S8 Plus, want flat with spen get the Note.

J273

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
I put this in the Note 8 thread but thought id ask in here as it may get more views.....

Can anyone recommend me a decent screen on notification sapp like an iPhone.

Ideally id like when I get a notification it turns the screen on bypasses the AOD and shows the lock screen with the notification.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thankyou

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I put this in the Note 8 thread but thought id ask in here as it may get more views.....

Can anyone recommend me a decent screen on notification sapp like an iPhone.

Ideally id like when I get a notification it turns the screen on bypasses the AOD and shows the lock screen with the notification.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thankyou

Glimpse Notification. It's the best.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
For those interested I posted some comparison photos between the S8+, iPhone 8+, 7+ and iPad Mini 4.

Apple has definitely stepped up from the 7+, which I have been saying is horrible for months and these quick test picks suggest it is, and my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. Even the iPad Mini 4 takes better pics.

The Galaxy 8+ is always impressive

Thread posted here. Didn't want to spam the forum in 2 places: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/8-vs-7-vs-ipad-mini-4-vs-galaxy-s8-camera-test.2072275/

Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
For those interested I posted some comparison photos between the S8+, iPhone 8+, 7+ and iPad Mini 4.

Apple has definitely stepped up from the 7+, which I have been saying is horrible for months and these quick test picks suggest it is, and my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. Even the iPad Mini 4 takes better pics.

Thread posted here. Didn't want to spam the forum in 2 places: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/8-vs-7-vs-ipad-mini-4-vs-galaxy-s8-camera-test.2072275/
Yeah, I never got why people always raved about the 7 Plus, I found my regular 7 took better shots than my Plus, especially low light.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yeah, I never got why people always raved about the 7 Plus, I found my regular 7 took better shots than my Plus, especially low light.

It’s definitely an overrated camera. I’ve owned 8 flagships since 2013 by Apple and Samsung and the iPhone 7+ is the worst. The iPhone 6 which I owned for a week and returned wasn’t exactly impressive either.

6S was a good camera though. Plenty of fun shots taken with it.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I felt the iPhone cameras were underwhelming compared to my s7e and s8, too.

Like I said, those will be seen as the years we saw Apple fall behind at the level of the technology.

Happy to hear they're amazing again in the 8. Can't wait to see what Samsung does with cameras next.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I felt the iPhone cameras were underwhelming compared to my s7e and s8, too.

Like I said, those will be seen as the years we saw Apple fall behind at the level of the technology.

Happy to hear they're amazing again in the 8. Can't wait to see what Samsung does with cameras next.

Apple seems to have a trend that would suggest if you want a good camera you wait for the S model.

The iPhone 8 also counts as a 7S IMHO.

Reactions: epicrayban

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
7D62EA58-9F5C-4775-A634-612CC4BA054D.jpeg
Thought I’d share an iPhone 8+ vs S8+ Pic. Shots were just done quick. Nothing for prep, from a buddy’s window since he can see downtown clearly from his place.

S8+ is top and iPhone 8+ is bottom. The Samsung still captures a sharper pic, but it seems like the fine detail like clouds in the distance are better represented by the iPhone 8+.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Yeah the flare was the first thing I noticed too.
Kai's power tools :D
If you look at the corrugated iron structure, the details in the Galaxy shot are better but foreground is more detailed in the iphone shot.
The iphone picks the clouds better and the foliage looks better in the galaxy shot.
I like how we don't see much CA these days.

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Apple seems to have a trend that would suggest if you want a good camera you wait for the S model.

The iPhone 8 also counts as a 7S IMHO.

Agree, tbh the 'S' models have always been the best bet.

4S was incredible, the 6S is still being bought by a lot of people I know and yeah, this '8' is really a '7S' and seems like a much much better option than the 7 (thanks to camera, chip, wireless charging in particular).

The only one I can't remember being super special was the 5S. I think that's the point I got frustrated and switched to Android.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Agree, tbh the 'S' models have always been the best bet.

4S was incredible, the 6S is still being bought by a lot of people I know and yeah, this '8' is really a '7S' and seems like a much much better option than the 7 (thanks to camera, chip, wireless charging in particular).

The only one I can't remember being super special was the 5S. I think that's the point I got frustrated and switched to Android.

Well, TouchID debuted in the 5s.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
462BA4AB-3D9D-4965-B9D8-220E6ABA8F85.jpeg
In this instance the iPhone 8+ takes a better overall photo, showing much more detail, better color saturation and use of natural light.

So far the cameras are close with the iPhone 8+ maybe have a slight advantage, but nothing to lose sleep over. I haven’t tried anything outdoors or in Lowlight just yet. Soon.

Reactions: epicrayban

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Yeah but apart from that, don't remember much else.

Don't forget, Touch ID is now officially a dead technology from a bygone era.

Well, it wasn’t directly user-facing, but it was also the first 64-bit iPhone, if not the first 64-bit phone (can’t remember if this was the case).

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
View attachment 721261 In this instance the iPhone 8+ takes a better overall photo, showing much more detail, better color saturation and use of natural light.

So far the cameras are close with the iPhone 8+ maybe have a slight advantage, but nothing to lose sleep over. I haven’t tried anything outdoors or in Lowlight just yet. Soon.
Thats awesome, considering how underwhelming the 7 + camera was.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

yeah, Mr. Mobile had great things to say about the iPhone 8 camera. Looks like Apple nailed it, especially compared to the 7+

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Does Samsung have an option to use FHD as the main resolution and then use WQHD+ for videos only, kinda like a hybrid of some sorts?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Does Samsung have an option to use FHD as the main resolution and then use WQHD+ for videos only, kinda like a hybrid of some sorts?
No. It's set on whatever you set in display settings. I still don't understand why anyone would choose 1080p on a WQHD screen. The battery saving is nominal at best. Better to actually benefit from the supposedly best screen tech than gimp it for 5% extra battery.

Remember even set to 1080p you are only changing resolution, you are not turning off pixels so the energy required to power the screen itself is the same at 1080p as it is at WQHD.

The real energy saving for changing resolution would only come from CPU and GPU loads, and outside of gaming, where are you really taxing the CPU & GPU that dropping resolution would benefit.

AOD uses significantly more of your battery in reality than the display resolution.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Hmm, I’m a bit undecided right now. I’m getting rid of my OnePlus 5 partly because of the camera, and while I’ve been thinking about selling the OP5 to fund an iPhone 8 Plus purchase, I’ve been offered a trade to the S8 as well. On the other hand I’m currently a little bit disappointed with Android, but with the trade I’d get a camera that’s fighting for the top spot with the iPhone 8+ for practically half the money. Of course I’d need to switch back to the Huawei Watch from the Apple Watch I’m currently using with my iPhone 7 (which would be going to my wife to replace her iPhone 6 that’s on its last leg) and I’d also lose a convenient Apple TV remote. Then again, I could get myself a DeX and try it out.

Now I'm trying to figure out the balance between the benefits and the downsides. A first world problem if there ever was one :p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.